PDA

View Full Version : Rediscovering baby curls?

Miriah
July 16th, 2010, 03:14 PM
When I was 2 or 3 years old, my hair had a natural curl to it that then seemed to straighten out as it grew. Ever since, even when I shaved my head, it's only ever been fairly straight with a teeny tiny bit of wave and a whole mess of cowlicks.
Now, I have all these baby hairs by my temples that are typically ramrod straight and determined to stick out in the most unattractive ways possible. The strange thing is: when the weather gets really humid, all those evil baby hairs turn into these sweet little ringlets. Thar be curl in them hairs, matey!
Another example, though I hate to admit it, is from when I let my hair get very dirty. (I was a kid and the only "washing" it got for three weeks was when I went swimming in the lake.) Well, by the end of it, my straight, boring ponytail was going down my back in a single ringlet!

Now, how can I bring this quality of my hair out without sacrificing my hygiene or moving to a rainforest? Is it even possible? I'd love to hear what the community has to say about this one because it has stumped me for years. Sadly, I'll have limited computer access for the next 7 days but I'll be looking forward to catching up.

Hana
July 16th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I love the random pirate interjection.
I prescribe the highest of Fives for that.

In the meantime, I'd mention that hair does tend to change with age, and does funny things. I believe there's a thread about it somewhere.
It sounds to me like all the excess moisture is what's giving your hair curl (humidity + lake).
How to make this into a daily routine for curls, I dont know though....

Beatrice
July 16th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I know what you mean. My hair has been through some crazy transformations over the years. When I was 2-3, I had a head full of short, kinky curls. I haven't dug out the pictures in a while, but I may have been a 3-something. Then my hair got super straight and silky (1a/1b), and now it's 1c.

My hair also becomes smoother, and yet more wavy when it hasn't been washed. For me, using loads of conditioner has helped define what curl I have. If I don't moisturize enough, I just get frizz. I've yet to find a type or amount of conditioner that exactly duplicates the effects of high humidity and not washing. CO washing, scalp washing, or washing with non-SLS shampoo might help.

missfortune9335
July 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM
my sister had very curly hair as a young child dark red too, and now it is stick strait and strawberry blonde. hair changes. but, you might check out some of the threads by the whirly and curlies, I'm sure they have tips on bringing out the most curl your hair has to offer ;)

GRU
July 16th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Curly Girl method should help you figure it out.

Surf through the Wurly and Curly thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369) and you'll find more info than you ever wanted to know! :lol:

Miriah
July 24th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I'm back. Home sweet home. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely check out that link. I'm planning to try that SMT moisture treatment this week, too.