PDA

View Full Version : A new style - the Rag Bun!

chopandchange
July 16th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Yes, Ladies and Gents, I do believe this is a bun I have never seen on LHC!

I just came across it on Youtube HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDrdMlw6OSE), and I may actually consider trying this one myself, although I don't really do updos at the moment. My scalp is very sensitive to hair sticks or just about anything hard (EVEN my lovely new spin pins hurt) and this bun involves only soft material! Woo hoo!

Not being a person who learns easily through watching other people, I do not quite understand how she does it. It looks like she makes one single giant rag curl on the top of her head. I don't really understand how to do rag curls, or what makes them stay in place. Can someone please explain? Or maybe adapt it for people with long hair, and make an LHC tutorial? :D Also, she uses a hair tie to start the bun but says you don't have to and could just use the piece of material by itself. How would that work? Can a clever updo person figure it out and post their results here? Pretty please? If this bun actually stays in place with no hard objects involved, then I SOOOOOO want to learn how to do it! :)

N.B. The video is actually supposed to be promoting a "product" and demonstrating how to use it, but the "product" actually consists of a simple triangle of cloth. The purpose of her doing the bun in the video is to create curls, not to teach people how to do the bun, but I thought you'd all be interested to see a NEW STYLE, so I'm posting it on here! :cheese:

TinaDenali
July 16th, 2010, 02:17 PM
N.B. The video is actually supposed to be promoting a "product" and demonstrating how to use it, but the "product" actually consists of a simple triangle of cloth.

As she says in the video, it's actually a double layer of cloth with a 'natural heating element' in it, perhaps buck wheat hulls or something? SO that when you put it in the microwave it warms up to help set the curl.

But, i think this is a good idea in general and would probably work just as well with a moist towel heated in the microwave and allowed to dry on your hair. Or just a plain old piece of cloth and that you wrap with wet hair and let it dry.

Something to try, that's for sure!!

Thanks for sharing! :D

chopandchange
July 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I am trying it now with a silk scarf, but it's not working. It keeps sagging down. Maybe it's because my ponytail of choice is at the nape of my neck, not on the top of my head.

I'll keep trying...

If I can get this style to work on my hair, I will be soooooo happy. :cheese:

Edit: oooooooh, it's working...hooray! Just figuring out how to cover the lump of hair with the ends of the scarf...

serious
July 16th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I'm going to try this, it would be great to sleep in it!

clichepithet
July 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM
As I'm watching this and thinking to myself, 'Hmm... may have to try that...' DD7 comes, looks over my shoulder for a minute (right near the end) and says, "Makes your hair all knotty...? And big?"

:D

sally_neuf
July 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I tried with a common bandana and it works wonderfully! Since I want the bun itself and not the curl, it doesn't matter if it's not heated.

Waiting for my camara to charge and will upload pictures! Perfect for my APL-BSL hair length! :D

chopandchange
July 16th, 2010, 02:43 PM
I tried with a common bandana and it works wonderfully! Since I want the bun itself and not the curl, it doesn't matter if it's not heated.

I am trying it on damp hair (no heat) and it's curling my ends already! Every time I take it out (to try and perfect it/ get used to it by doing it again) my ends are curlier and curlier!

Going to try it on top of my head now, instead of at my nape...

Edit: Sally Neuf, how did you get yours to stay without flopping down? I must be doing it wrong. :(

Edit: ooh, I figured out a way to make it stay without flopping! it's probably not the "right" way (I expect I am doing it wrong, and not the way she did it in the video) but it's staying! And so far, it feels comfy!

Woo hooooo!!

Sorry for bombarding the forum with posts about this, but anyone else who dislikes updos because of hard accessories poking into their scalp will share/understand my delight!

Here is my attempt: (I don't know exactly what I did wrong, or how I fixed it, but it's not flopping any more. Hmm. From the picture it looks like I tied it first at the front, and then at the back. Was this what we were meant to do?)

sally_neuf
July 16th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Hi! Well, I did it just like the lady did in the video, I was upside down the table, rolling it as tightly as I could, and the pony was at the very top of my hair! but my hair is still *short* so maybe it isn't heavy and that's why it doesn't flop

So far, Comfy! Thanks for sharing this!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4538&pictureid=77077
Front view

and..

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4538&pictureid=77076

Back view

(I already called it giant rag-curl bun )

chopandchange
July 16th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Sally Neuf, that looks great!

Why doesn't mine look like yours?

Why am I so slow to understand? :(

OK, so I lay the scarf out...roll my hair up in it..and then...I don't understand how to tie it properly so that it doesn't flop. Either I'm doing it wrong, or it's just the weight of my hair that's making it more difficult.

Edit: it looks like you only tied yours at the back, didn't you?

I am a Bear of Little Brain. I still don't understand.

Edit again: I did it again, the right way this time. It's not really flopping but it is kind of...dragging, and feeling a bit sore because of the sheer weight of my hair. Sigh.

But it's still comfier than hair sticks!

sally_neuf
July 16th, 2010, 03:26 PM
yes it is tied on the back, when I was done rolling it, still facing down, I just had the two ends in my hands, and I tied it "up" (that is, pointing to my nape), then I stood up but it didn't flop, not sure what could be!

chopandchange
July 16th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Thank you for your help, Sally Neuf!

I think it's just because of me having thick heavy hair that it's flopping and dragging.

Nonetheless, I am still very excited about this style as a means of creating curls and a possible new way to wear my hair at night!

Anniekins
July 16th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I dont know about this product but I often use a bandanna folded to a triangle and roll my hair up like that to sleep in and it makes beautiful curls too. Sometimes I use more than one too. :)

Anne

chopandchange
July 16th, 2010, 04:11 PM
I figured out a way to counteract the dragging by distributing the weight better (if you have heavy hair). It involves tying the ends of the scarf across your forehead.

Not exactly a look to wear out in the street, but I may try sleeping in it!

eamane
July 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Ok I had to try this as well :) It looks kind of ok, a bit poofy perhaps and some loose hairs sticking out but not much worse than my usual updo's. I'll give sleeping in it a try as well since I'm off to bed in a while...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4898&pictureid=77080

chopandchange
July 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Nice, Eamane!

I am so jealous! Everyone's just stays up! Mine is still dragging down uncomfortably, unless I tie it across my forehead. Edit: tying against my forehead was only good for a few minutes until it became painful. Arrrgh.

Anyone else with thick hair (or extra-long hair) care to try this, and come up with a way to make it work?

triumphator!
July 16th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Oooo I like this, especially with the little tail of pretty fabric!

rusika1
July 16th, 2010, 07:35 PM
chopandchange

I think silk might be too slippery to hold heavy hair in place. Do you have something with a little more texture that you can try instead of the silk?

chipzahoy
July 16th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I really like that bun. When my hair gets longer I will figure out how to make such a bun so that I can sleep with my hair up without using a hair band! Didn't really care for her end results, but the method itself was pretty interesting.

clichepithet
July 16th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I'm gonna give this a shot, as it does look like it would be good for sleeping in. Not to mention I'm kinda getting tired of the 'ol braid.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4563&pictureid=77121

Hair's damp, with a wee bit of SAO and aloe, post WO (though I did condish the length/ends). Used a basic kerchief, tied once in the back. Will let you know how it turns out in the morning.

I wonder how a pair of these would turn out? Like if you did high pig-tails and then wrapped 'em? You know? Might have to try that next time, if I like the results of this. Or maybe someone else'll beat me to it. ;)

Heavenly Locks
July 16th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Is everyone using a hair tie in addition to the fabric? :)

SheaLynne
July 16th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I had to try this...I'm hoping for great curls in the morning!!

I had to adjust some for length, so I lengthened my bandana triangle out some, so the edges didn't match up but were 3-4 inches difference and the folded part wasn't at the longest point (hope that makes sense!).

Anyway, my hair is just over 35 inches and is thick, so my loose attempts with only fingercombing my hair turned out HUGE! I'm thinking of bun-eating-head sock bun HUGE!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77129&albumid=4802&dl=1279345733&thumb=1

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77128&albumid=4802&dl=1279345733&thumb=1

But it is really comfy (I did not use a ponytail holder/elastic), and I can definitely sleep with it like this and wouldn't be too scared to go out and about with it if I combed it properly!

Great bun...I'll update with waves/curls in the morning!

eamane
July 17th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Ok I had to try this as well :) It looks kind of ok, a bit poofy perhaps and some loose hairs sticking out but not much worse than my usual updo's. I'll give sleeping in it a try as well since I'm off to bed in a while...
IMG:scissors:IMG
After-sleep-update: It has held pretty well during the night, only the tails of fabric tickle my neck so I had to tie them away. :p This might have a chance to be my new sleep-'do!

I did use a hair tie now this first time, but I probably will make it without next time.

I haven't taken the 'do out yet though so I can't tell you anything about curls, maybe another update ont that later :)

>SheaLynne: I agree, this bun looks absolutely HUGE, especially from the front! DH compared it with those huge updos from 1960-sometime ;)

chopandchange
July 17th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Mine kept slipping out when I moved around in bed (probably due to the silk, as someone has pointed out - thanks!) so I got fed up and just removed it and slept with my hair loose for the first time in years. I got really sweaty! Don't know how people manage to sleep with their hair loose (or how I used to do it myself, years ago!)

Curl results: I was very pleased with the pretty curls on the ends, but the length was kind of poofy and frizzy. Also there were a lot of new tangles, splits and white dots. :( Now, maybe this is just MY hair, and not everyone's hair would tangle like this, but having tried it out it seems this is yet another updo that's no good for my hair.

Sigh.

S&D required later...

I'm glad some of you are finding it works for you, though. It's got me thinking about using scarfs instead of sticks/pins, and I am going to play around and see if I can invent another way of holding up my hair with just a scarf.

serious
July 17th, 2010, 05:37 AM
chopandchange, I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you :(

Here's my first attempt:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77138&albumid=2446&dl=1279366362&thumb=1

I used a hair tie and a cotton scarf and it holds.
I'm going to sleep in it tonight, hope it won't slip out during the night!

clichepithet
July 17th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Ok, so...

Sleeping: This is my new sleep bun, I think. It held up exceptionally well during the night. I have satin pillowcases, and usually even my braid is all wonky - but this was pretty much the way it was when I went to bed. It rotated and listed ever so slightly to the left, but that's about it. I did use an elastic - which I'm unhappy about. Will try either not using one, or securing with ribbon and taking that out after I've wrapped it in the bandanna. The Hub suggested "something like a giant bobby-pin". I told him I needed a Ficcare. He laughed at me.

Curls: Really unimpressed. Pin curls and the like work so much better for me, so I think I'll stick to those. Here it is untouched, just "shaken out" by waving my head about upside-down after removal.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4563&pictureid=77141

My verdict? Super for sleep. Not so much for curls (for me). I wouldn't be afraid to wear this out of the house, if I had some pretty handkerchiefs to put it up with (which some of you do, very pretty).

ETA: Almost forgot. My hair was still vaguely... moist? Not quite damp, but not dry either.

Thanks much for the link, chopandchange. :flowers:

LaurelSpring
July 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Im not so sure about this one. Cloth things and rag curls usually dont work well for me. I have to use end papers or the ends get too crunchy and odd and I usually dont get curls that make me happy. Its worth a shot though.

LadyLongLocks
July 17th, 2010, 09:04 AM
What an interesting idea! Seems like it would be a good way to condition hair too. Just wrap it up! Even a wet heated towel wrapped up with a deep treatment in, cool!

lapushka
July 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM
This is a lovely idea!!! Yay for giant rag curls! :D

cdmorefield
July 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
I've tried a couple of times and cant quite get it :(
Don't even care if it looks good I just want to sleep in it. For those of you that have got it is it easier when your hair is damp or dry?

chopandchange
July 17th, 2010, 09:30 AM
cdmorefield, at what stage is it going wrong exactly? If you can tell us what the problem is, we are more likely to be able to help.

(Perhaps I am not the right person to help because I couldn't get it at first, either)!

chopandchange
July 17th, 2010, 09:35 AM
securing with ribbon and taking that out after I've wrapped it in the bandanna.

What a brilliant idea! You're so clever! I was puzzling over how it would be possible to do this without a hair tie, and you've just hit on the obvious answer.

Thanks much for the link, chopandchange. :flowers:

You're welcome! Glad it seems to be a useful idea for some of us here!

chopandchange
July 17th, 2010, 09:38 AM
it is really comfy (I did not use a ponytail holder/elastic), and I can definitely sleep with it like this !

Can I ask how you managed without a ponytail holder? Did you tie it the way clichepithet suggests, or just bunch the hair together with your hand? :confused:

SheaLynne
July 17th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Can I ask how you managed without a ponytail holder? Did you tie it the way clichepithet suggests, or just bunch the hair together with your hand? :confused:

Hmmm..good question! I love the suggestion clichepithet had and wish I had thought of that last night! I just tried to hold the pony with one hand and roll with the other the best I could, but as it got closer to my head, and I'm practically standing on my head, I had to let go and just let it go, and keep wrapping with both hands.

The plus was that doing it that way it wrapped further out along the bandana, and looked more like a full bun when it was tied. The minus is that it was harder to roll up.

This morning I redid it using a ponytail holder and it was definitely easier to roll, and rolled up tighter, but looks different when finished. Less of a full round bun look.

Without ponytail holder (and also late at night without combing it properly!):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77128&albumid=4802&dl=1279345733&thumb=1 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77129&albumid=4802&dl=1279345733&thumb=1

With ponytail holder:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77160&albumid=4802&dl=1279382030&thumb=1 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77159&albumid=4802&dl=1279382030&thumb=1

I'm definitely going to try the ribbon idea to hold it while rolling and then remove after. That's such a great idea.

Also, it slept great for me. I usually do a topknot cinnabun and hold with a small stick, so this was very comfortable. I did it completely dry last night, and these are the waves I had immediately after taking it down this morning:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77158&albumid=4802&dl=1279382030&thumb=1

I'm due to wash today, so my hair would typically be pretty straight by now other than any braid or bun waves. So, not bad but definitely nothing close to the rag curls I can get. I'll try it tonight slightly damp and see what I get tomorrow.

This is fun! :D

Fairlight63
July 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I tried it this morning & it worked out good. I left it in for about 4 hrs. & it made nice curls when I took it down. I definately will try sleeping in it tonight.
I never know what to do with my hair at night. It usually starts out in a messy bun on top of my head but it falls out. Then I put it in a braid.
So I think that this will definately be a keeper night style hair do.
Looks nice enough to wear out & about also.

Thanks for posting it!

Miasen
July 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Well, of course I had to try this, and it definitely worked, although now I got a gigantic hair donut on the back of my head. XD Very comfy though, although I don't think I can jump around too much without it falling out.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/mia_aka_miasen/Ragbun2.jpg

gmdiaz
July 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I really like this idea too.

I think I would like to try it with slightly damp hair with a tiny bit of oil on it, then roll up and sleep on it.

I'll try it tonight!

dfotw
July 17th, 2010, 12:25 PM
This is such a fun hair-do!!! I love it, it's über-comfortable, keeps my hair off my neck, and makes my bun look HUGE!!! Besides, it's a great excuse to show off my pretty, colourful bandanas and scarves...

And it's solid (though I did mine with an elastic) enough to go for groceries, clean the house and stuff...

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9494/ragbun.jpg

Thanks for sharing! :)

clichepithet
July 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Miasen and dfotw - y'alls look great! Love the way it goes almost all the way around your scarf. (Must get some pretty ones myself...) The "Giant-Fully-Rolled-Sock-Bun" was a total failure for me, but this almost does it. Gonna see if I can fill mine out more like that. Did you pull it out/ spread it out more over the bandanna or did it just kind of do that when you rolled?

ETA: 0.o Though I see now you both have iii... wonder if that's got something to do with it.

Miasen
July 17th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Miasen and dfotw - y'alls look great! Love the way it goes almost all the way around your scarf. (Must get some pretty ones myself...) The "Giant-Fully-Rolled-Sock-Bun" was a total failure for me, but this almost does it. Gonna see if I can fill mine out more like that. Did you pull it out/ spread it out more over the bandanna or did it just kind of do that when you rolled?

ETA: 0.o Though I see now you both have iii... wonder if that's got something to do with it.

The fully rolled sock bun was a complete failure for me too, so I like that I've fun a gargantuan bun that my hair likes. ;) And I didn't spread it out, it just ended up that way when I tied it off.

And I do have a lot of fluffy hair, so that might be part of it. :p But I'm sure you can get it like this too! :D

dfotw
July 17th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Ha ha! I did spread it out a little once I had it tied, because at the beginning it looked more like a giant croissant than anything else... :D I just pulled at the ends a little to made it spread out... (now it looks more like a donut! :p) but yeah, having thick, big hair definitely helped! :eyebrows:

lapushka
July 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM
For those having trouble with the bigger rag buns, why not try two (low ones at the side of the head, not one on top of the other). Wonder what that would do to the curl pattern... and maybe there's less of a need for a hair tie that way?

linda g
July 17th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Oh this is fun! I just did this with a pretty bandana, and it is so cute. I have a few layers falling out, but the humidity turned them into cute tendrils.

This gave me a much fuller bun than I could normally make, with the added cute factor of the bandana ends showing...

clichepithet
July 18th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Well. Ahem. :o

Results of bunning freshly CWC'd and lightly oiled hair, totally dry.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4563&pictureid=77210

Once again, mostly untouched. Just kind of "shaken out". The picture doesn't really do them justice. Hub likes 'em, though. :eyebrows:

Don't know how well they'll hold. I'd have to wear it down to find out, and I just don't feel like it today. :p

So...

:foot:

linda g
July 18th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Followup on mine... I put mine in totally dry, day-before-washing hair, and when I took it out after only a few hours, I had nice smooth waves. My hair is already a bit wavy, but this seem to make the waves look "finished".

Miasen
July 18th, 2010, 12:04 PM
My hair was completely dry when I did it, and when I took it out 24 hours later the only difference were that my ends were standing out at odd angles. XD

SheaLynne
July 18th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Here are my bun curls after CO washing and damp bunning to sleep on last night. Mine are also just after letting the hair down and just shaking it loose.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=77264&albumid=4802&dl=1279482875&thumb=1

I wore it down to church services and the curl held enough to look decent through that and lunch, but definitely loosened curls by the time I put it up.

I also did my rag bun last night using the ribbon method, and that worked really well. Much easier to roll up. But it was pretty messy this morning, so I don't know if it would hold up to wearing all day without the ponytail holder. Yesterday I tried wearing it all day with a ponytail holder, and I had major follicle bun-ache by afternoon, so I had to take it down. Usually if a style does that, if I'll wear it again soon, my hair adjusts and I don't get the ache from it, so I'm hoping!

jeno
July 18th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've tried it too, it's really comfy! reminds me of a sockbun, but easier to do. I think my ends will look better, because it was easier to control the first twist, compared with the fully rolled sockbun. I´ll have to buy some more scarves...

anthonyswife
July 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I just tried this last night, and slept in it. It's very comfortable! This will be a great new, comfortable way to keep my hair out of my face when I'm busy. It even held up my awkward bangs that I'm trying to grow out and almost nothing else will keep them back, lol.

My hair was slightly damp when I put it up. When I took it down this morning, there wasn't any change as far as curls. But then, nothing can change my natural curl pattern for some reason. I meant to post pics but my camera battery was dead.

Chopandchange, have you tried piling your bun directly on top of your head? I found that was easier for me...I have a lot of hair and it's very heavy and painful if I try to do any sort of "high" updo...for me it has to either be at the nape of my neck or directly on top of my head. It was still perfectly comfortable there and stayed in place really well, plus it didn't pull on my scalp at all. It might look slightly weird, but you might try it and see if it works for you.

clichepithet
July 18th, 2010, 08:39 PM
SheaLynne, yours look incredible! I cannot get the ribbon method to work for me. It's just not as secure without the band. Using a large standard hair tie, the cloth covered ones - just as loose as possible. Also doing mine fairly high on my head. Going to try double tonight.

eamane
July 19th, 2010, 06:34 AM
SheaLynne, yours look incredible!
I agree to this!

I have discovered a problem though: Having rolled up my hair when it's been dry and no oil or anything in it and left it up for a night or even longer, the ends of my hair are dried out! I'm thinking it's because of the cloth? Anyone else having this problem?
Also: Even though I get some curls, they are really uneven and about half of my hair stays straight or straightish like normal :rolleyes: After a while it just looks messy :(

It's really comfortable to wear though :)

Miasen
July 19th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I agree to this!

I have discovered a problem though: Having rolled up my hair when it's been dry and no oil or anything in it and left it up for a night or even longer, the ends of my hair are dried out! I'm thinking it's because of the cloth? Anyone else having this problem?
Also: Even though I get some curls, they are really uneven and about half of my hair stays straight or straightish like normal :rolleyes: After a while it just looks messy :(

It's really comfortable to wear though :)

Yeah, my ends seemed dry as well. I figure it's because it was rolled up tightly in a cotton scarf. So I think it would need moisture if I were to use this often, or some other type of scarf.

And I don't think this is the right type of hairdo to create curls for me either. :p But it sure is comfy though. XD

SheaLynne
July 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I agree to this!

I have discovered a problem though: Having rolled up my hair when it's been dry and no oil or anything in it and left it up for a night or even longer, the ends of my hair are dried out!

Thank you!

I agree that I liked how my ends felt more after wearing it damp bunned. I wasn't sure if it was because it was newly CO washed that time or from the added moisture, but based on your observation, I'll assume it is the moisture.

VitaR86
July 19th, 2010, 09:52 AM
ooo, I wanna try this.

The one thing I didn't like about the video is that the lady talked too much. Yes, yes, yes, you invented the thing.....yes, yes, yes, you can use it for this and for that and...... Oh shut up and show us how to use the damn thing! :mad:

lol, I know I'm nit picking, but I hate when people yap on and on in a video. I didn't click the vid to hear your life story. :rolleyes:

chopandchange
July 19th, 2010, 10:05 AM
ooo, I wanna try this.

The one thing I didn't like about the video is that the lady talked too much. Yes, yes, yes, you invented the thing.....yes, yes, yes, you can use it for this and for that and...... Oh shut up and show us how to use the damn thing! :mad:

lol, I know I'm nit picking, but I hate when people yap on and on in a video. I didn't click the vid to hear your life story. :rolleyes:

I know! When I posted the link, I very nearly wrote something like: "oh, by the way, she talks a lot, so you might want to fast-forward to 2:38 when the tutorial actually starts." LOL!

(That's not when it starts really; I just made that up!)

VitaR86
July 19th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Okay done and I love it! Wasn't that hard for me to do, so yay.:cheese:

Here is the back
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/Vita86/Hair/1.jpg

And here is a side view. And I didn't realize I had that much root showing.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/Vita86/Hair/2.jpg

I cropped and re-sized the images before posting, but for some reason they look the same on photobucket. So my apologies if they are still jumbo.

EDIT: They are jumbo and now the images look the way I edited them on Photobucket, but not on here. WTF?!?!

clichepithet
July 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Hmm, I didn't have too much trouble with my ends being dry, no more than usual I suppose. But I'm an oil addict, so would have oiled pre-roll each time. Don't know.

The double worked well for curls, but wasn't too comfy for sleeping (unless you're a back sleeper - I'm not). Maybe next time I'd part from ear-to-ear across the top of my head, as opposed to down the middle through the back.

Anyway, figured I'd posted enough of my pics on the thread here, so there's one of the double results in my album. I didn't take a picture of the double buns themselves, because I reserve that very special level of sexiness for the Hub only... :silly:

LadyLongLocks
July 19th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I kept a bandanna open and not folded. Sleeping with it was okay, but wearing it for long(not sleeping) hurt my head and it wanted to slip. I had some curls in the morning.The bandanna worked its way out pretty much after a nights sleep.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/JJJLonghair/LHC%20Forum%20pix%20for%20linking/bandannabunLHC.jpg
It is really a fun idea!
:D

tcheney91
July 19th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Well, after LadyLongLocks, mine looks pitiful... but here it is anyways!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=77329

LadyLongLocks
July 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Well, after LadyLongLocks, mine looks pitiful... but here it is anyways!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=77329

I think yours looks great! Very big and beautiful :)

tcheney91
July 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I think yours looks great! Very big and beautiful :)

Thank you!!

CaityBear
July 19th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Duuude! I'll have to try that! It looks awesome. :)

Svenja
July 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I cannot watch youtube in the office, so sad! :cry:

chopandchange
July 20th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I cannot watch youtube in the office, so sad! :cry:

Oh dear! I shall attempt to explain it for you, here goes:

You put your hair in a high ponytail. Then you take a bandana and fold it into a triangle and lay it on a table in front of you, with the point of the triangle nearest to your body as you are facing the bandana. Then bend forwards and flip the tip of your ponytail forwards and then back inwards towards your body, so that the tip of your hair is lying right on the tip of the triangle. Then start rolling the bandana tightly away from you, starting from the point of the triangle that's nearest to your body, with the hair secured inside the bandana. When you can't roll any more, tie a knot, and stand up straight again, and voilá!

Did this work? I hope it makes sense. It's difficult to explain without it sounding complicated, but actually it's very easy!

tcheney91
July 20th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I get awesome curls from it! Yay, a new curling method! Thanks again, chopandchange! Here they are:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=77367

chopandchange
July 20th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Wow, those are good curls, tcheney91!

linda g
July 20th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I slept in one of these last night, and woke up with awesome curls. I put it very high on my head, and had no trouble sleeping in it.

The only drawback I see at this point is that the curls are so pretty, I'm hesitant to put it in an updo for work :D

I also put my hair in one of these for working out yesterday. Comfy and secure.

ETA: I would definitely use this for an occasion where I needed fabulous hair left down.

VitaR86
July 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
OMG, love the curls I got from this bun.

Linky (http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q164/Vita86/Hair/DSC02022.jpg)

For some reason I can't get the images to stay small. :/

Miasen
July 20th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Oh wow, that's some gorgeous curls, Tcheney and Vita. :D

SheaLynne
July 20th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Oooh, those are beautiful buns and curls (sorry, for not naming everyone..but I'm including everyone!).

I agree that it made me forsake my updo challenge for half a day to wear my curls for a bit! Love it!

eamane
July 20th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Oh wow, that's some gorgeous curls, Tcheney and Vita. :D
:agree: I agree to this! Those looks much better than what I ended up with.

clichepithet
July 20th, 2010, 01:57 PM
(snip)
The only drawback I see at this point is that the curls are so pretty, I'm hesitant to put it in an updo for work :D
(snip)

Yes! I'm having this problem. Told the Hub this morning that it was almost a shame I put it up. Also, I suppose I should peruse the curly threads or something. I'm not used to curls, and my usual finger-comb and then comb-comb in the mornings is not working (like it would with my single sleep braid). Maybe I'll get used to it... :shrug: Anybody else?

And everybody's curls really are fantastic, considering that we're only rolling all it up in just one scarf.

tcheney91
July 20th, 2010, 03:43 PM
When my ends are curly, I tend to make a shortened ponytail or a messy side bun. That way, some of the curls still get to peek out! Like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5405&pictureid=73551

eamane
July 21st, 2010, 02:53 AM
Ok so I had to try this once more with moisturised hair. Last night I misted my hair with my special mix and rag bunned it before sleep. Look at the curlies I've got this morning:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4876&pictureid=77451

Kimarie91
July 21st, 2010, 06:42 AM
Tried this last night mostly just as an alternative to sleeping in a braid. Worked well, have some nice curls...or at least some body. I put it up dry, but wet the ends a little. Since I still have some layers growing it was a little difficult to roll smoothly. Overall...I like it.

jasper
July 21st, 2010, 06:43 AM
Thanks everyone for posting your trials and results with this bun. The curls look nice and having only one rag to tie makes it seem easy.

I watched it with the sound off and still quit before the end. That's why I am especially Thankful for this thread.

I cropped and re-sized the images before posting, but for some reason they look the same on photobucket. So my apologies if they are still jumbo.

EDIT: They are jumbo and now the images look the way I edited them on Photobucket, but not on here. WTF?!?!

I have a theory about this because it happens to me too when I edit with photobucket, but your images don't look jumbo to me. I think the browser is doing something to try to load the page faster by using a cached image or something.

clichepithet
July 21st, 2010, 11:11 AM
tcheney91, good point. I recently purchased a new claw-clip that actually holds my hair without pain in one way or another. I think I'll try this next time, thanks.

eamane, very nice. Shiny and soft looking.

Hey, I know some of you have rolled sans tie, but I'm still having trouble with it. The ribbon method doesn't work well for me, but last night I twisted it (the hair) much like you would before any other updo, but while I was upside-down. I then rolled into the bandanna. It took me 3 tries, and ultimately looked like a bun-hawk on top of my head (thought about taking a picture for you, but decided against), but anyway. Twisting it before rolling helped me, for no-tie. It also made for prettier curls, I thought. And I've skipped trying to comb-comb and have just been finger-combing it out fore I put it up.

ButterCup02
July 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
I did this last night and these are the results I got...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3381&pictureid=77458

Gonna try it again tomorrow night withOUT the pony tail because the pony tail line looks horrible....I hate pony tail lines LOL

lapushka
July 21st, 2010, 02:53 PM
Gonna try it again tomorrow night withOUT the pony tail because the pony tail line looks horrible....I hate pony tail lines LOL

I tried this without an elastic band first, and my hair was all over the place.

Try using either the hosiery types of elastics (recommending them for this: no line!) and/or just don't tie it off that tightly. It's not really meant to keep the pony tail on the top of your head, just meant to keep the hair somewhat together so you can roll it.

ButterCup02
July 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
I tried this without an elastic band first, and my hair was all over the place.

Try using either the hosiery types of elastics (recommending them for this: no line!) and/or just don't tie it off that tightly. It's not really meant to keep the pony tail on the top of your head, just meant to keep the hair somewhat together so you can roll it.

Thanks! I'm going to try it again tomorrow night and will try a hoisery type, or a loose scrunchie or something. I will have to see what I have :)

serious
July 22nd, 2010, 12:52 AM
I use a ribbon to make the ponytail, roll it up and than remove the ribbon. It works!

Flossy
July 22nd, 2010, 04:19 AM
I have all these cute bandanas that I want to wear in my hair, but I always feel like a milkmaid or something when I wear them. This sounds like a perfect solution.

Off to try it now...

ptnicole
July 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
My album has pics of my attempt at this. Turned out pretty curly. I like it for an everyday bun...really got all my layers in there well.

eamane
July 22nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
My album has pics of my attempt at this. Turned out pretty curly. I like it for an everyday bun...really got all my layers in there well.
It did turn out real nice for you :)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Ooooh i'm excited!! I don't really care about the bun, but i'm always open for new hair setting techniques! (especially if it's fast and comfy to sleep on)

I made a rag bun with damp hair. We'll see what happens tomorrow :D

linda g
July 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Seriously, I need to go buy more cute bandanas now.

I love this for an overnight style, I love it for a workout style (contains almost all my layers, whee!), I LOVE the curls I can get, should I ever want them.

Edited to add: I LOVE chopandchange for starting this thread!:inlove:

ptnicole
July 22nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
Just a thought...
I think someone else mentioned that this might be drying to the hair...I think that is absolutely true if it is done excessively. I've been sitting here examining my ends...yes at work :o...and notice that quite a few are "bent" and they feel parched. I haven't had this feeling in a while....oiling tonight for certain! Otherwise...it is still looking good!

Miasen
July 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
Bah, how are you all getting all your pretty curls? My hair laugh in the face of curls. I tried doing it dry, wet and just slightly moist, the most curly I got was when my ends were sticking out at odd angles. XD Still like the bun for comfort, but definitely not for curls. My hair is doomed to stay forever wavy. But I think I'll survive that. :p

Kimarie91
July 22nd, 2010, 06:57 PM
I tried this again last night with fairly damp hair to see if it would give my super straight, doesn't like to hold a curl hair to curl. The shorter side layers curled up pretty, but the center didn't quite dry and was just slightly wavy. So I got out my sock and tried a big sockbun for the day instead. :eek:

Flossy
July 22nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
I tried this last night, and while it held nicely and gave me OK curls this morning (I did a bit of a heavy oil last night so it looked a bit piece-y and strange) it felt a bit too heavy on the top of my head to be a good night 'do for me. I was thinking though, what about reversing it and wearing it lower, so the scarf ties at the top of the bun. I tried it, and took a quick pic (please pardon the pic, I am still trying to get used to taking them of the back of my head, and then photobucket makes them tiny):

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/sam78s/IMGP2817.jpg

It looks adorable (IMO), although I hope you can see it. I will definitely be using this one to showcase all my colourful bandannas. I think it will be good for when I go on hols and spend a lot of time in the sun etc. I can wear it up with oils and not worry about it flopping around like a braid. It feels nice and secure though.

Very happy!

reishka
July 22nd, 2010, 10:00 PM
So. this is my first attempt. I think that maybe I just have too much hair. I *have* to use a ponytail holder for this, and I have to unfold and use the entire thing or I end up with a giant poofball. I don't ever get a nice looking bun. I end up with this fan sort of looking thing. Which, is kinda nice looking and I'd even contemplate doing by itself, if it didn't pull at my hair so much. I feel like the hair from the front of my head is trying to run away with my scalp! :(

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5079&pictureid=77575

I'm going to see if I can sleep with this in tonight. I think if I lay down it'll not pull so much. If I get curls then it might be worth it.

Dreams_in_Pink
July 22nd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Hmm, maybe i shouldn't have combed it after i took the bun down :/
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4985&pictureid=77576

Evie
July 23rd, 2010, 04:11 AM
I tried this last night, and while it held nicely and gave me OK curls this morning (I did a bit of a heavy oil last night so it looked a bit piece-y and strange) it felt a bit too heavy on the top of my head to be a good night 'do for me. I was thinking though, what about reversing it and wearing it lower, so the scarf ties at the top of the bun. I tried it, and took a quick pic (please pardon the pic, I am still trying to get used to taking them of the back of my head, and then photobucket makes them tiny):

It looks adorable (IMO), although I hope you can see it. I will definitely be using this one to showcase all my colourful bandannas. I think it will be good for when I go on hols and spend a lot of time in the sun etc. I can wear it up with oils and not worry about it flopping around like a braid. It feels nice and secure though.

Very happy!

Oooh I love the way this looks! Can you post instructions as to how you did it upside down, step by step?? I am very, very style challenged, and really would love to give this a try....I think I have enough hair for it if I can place it at the nape....

serious
July 23rd, 2010, 05:35 AM

Very happy!

I'll have to try this upside down version, so cute!

jasper
July 23rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Bah, how are you all getting all your pretty curls? My hair laugh in the face of curls. I tried doing it dry, wet and just slightly moist, the most curly I got was when my ends were sticking out at odd angles. XD Still like the bun for comfort, but definitely not for curls. My hair is doomed to stay forever wavy. But I think I'll survive that. :p

Maybe it is your length and thickness laughing in the face of the curls. When you roll it, the ends would be curled the tightest, but after a couple of turns, you would be rolling over a fairly thick roll of hair and bandanna, making more of a wave than a curl. When you take it down, you've got the weight stretching out that curl/wave over the length. :)

lapushka
July 23rd, 2010, 07:22 AM
I think that maybe I just have too much hair. I *have* to use a ponytail holder for this, and I have to unfold and use the entire thing or I end up with a giant poofball. I don't ever get a nice looking bun. I end up with this fan sort of looking thing. Which, is kinda nice looking and I'd even contemplate doing by itself, if it didn't pull at my hair so much. I feel like the hair from the front of my head is trying to run away with my scalp! :(

I had that happen too, and it was even worse without the elastic, but that's exactly why I need that elastic. I found that using a bigger scarf helps. Tie it off in the back, then come to the front and tie it again there, so there's less of that fan effect and a cute tie up front.

linda g
July 23rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
I like the "fan effect". :)

And I like the upside down idea, I will have to try that.

I've used this style for some portion of the day or night for several days, with no ill effects to my ends.

schweedie
July 23rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Tie it off in the back, then come to the front and tie it again there, so there's less of that fan effect and a cute tie up front.
That's the way I've been doing it, too.

I didn't have a bandana or anything like it, so I've been using a really big scarf that I've folded a bunch of times - it makes the 'do look bigger than it would've otherwise, I'm guessing! But I'm loving this bun. I don't have a whole lot of hair, but this makes it like I have more than I actually do, heh. And put right on the top of my head it's really comfy, too. Will see if I can get some pictures up tomorrow. I think I'm doing something wrong because it doesn't really look like everyone else's, but I still like it! :D

Bluegrass Babe
July 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
I tried this and it is cute but not comfortable to sleep in. The bun gets in the way if too low and putting it up high made my scalp hurt when I took the bun out. The only curl I got was the last 3 - 4 inches - it looked more like a "flip". So I adapted it for sleeping. I will make a new thread on it later.

Basically, I rolled a low pony with the elastic pulled low, spread the pony a little as I rolled so the hair would be even and not a lump. I leaned to the side - not upside down like the video. Tie on top of head instead of around bun.

here is the result - no lump to sleep on (it's in crook of the neck) and no tangles with a cap:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5936&pictureid=77651

chopandchange
July 24th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I'm trying to figure out how you would do this "upside-down" as someone has said they did.

Would it mean putting the point of the triangle facing AWAY from you, and wrapping the hair inwards, towards you, instead of away from you?

I wonder if this would affect the "pulling" that we people with longer/thicker hair have experienced.

I would try it out, but I've currently got a head full of deep treatment covered with a plastic bag, so I can't!

Miasen
July 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Maybe it is your length and thickness laughing in the face of the curls. When you roll it, the ends would be curled the tightest, but after a couple of turns, you would be rolling over a fairly thick roll of hair and bandanna, making more of a wave than a curl. When you take it down, you've got the weight stretching out that curl/wave over the length. :)

Yeah, it's probably something like this. :p

schweedie
July 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Okay, here's what mine looks like:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Me/DSCN8710.jpg http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Me/DSCN8719.jpg

Not the prettiest thing ever, but it works. I have to secure my hair with a loose scrunchie, though - I can't do it with just a ribbon, it just falls out as soon as I lean down.

Normally being a straightie, I definitely like the way it makes my hair look after just an hour or two:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/schweedie/Me/DSCN8734.jpg

eamane
July 24th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Those were real pretty curls schweedie :)

chopandchange
July 24th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Oh, wow, that looks really beautiful, schweedie!

There's just something about ringlets on blonde hair...

clichepithet
July 24th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I'm trying to figure out how you would do this "upside-down" as someone has said they did.

Would it mean putting the point of the triangle facing AWAY from you, and wrapping the hair inwards, towards you, instead of away from you?

I wonder if this would affect the "pulling" that we people with longer/thicker hair have experienced.

I would try it out, but I've currently got a head full of deep treatment covered with a plastic bag, so I can't!

I do execute this upside down. I'm trying to figure out how y'all do it standing straight. Anyway, I place my scarf or what have you on the end of my bed, folded how I need it (into a triangle, but not point-to-point, I need 3-4in of space between points), flip me head over, finger-comb, gather and position about where I want the band (I'm doomed for the band - nothing else works for me, stability etc. wise), place my ends in the point closest to me, somewhat curved like a J, then roll, roll, roll, tie.

:shrug: I love it. It gives me curls I adore, as long as my hair is clean and dry (though obviously lightly oiled, you'll never find me without that) and it's comfy to sleep in, for me. It can make it feel like I'm dragging my eyebrows onto the top of my head if I'm not careful with the placement of my band. It has to be just so - not on the back of my head, but not right on top either. Though closer to the top than the back, yes?

Clear as mud!
Yay!

Uh, thanks again, for this bun.

ETA: *steals schweedie's haircolor and runs away with it*

schweedie
July 24th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks, guys! :) (My hair IS blonde, yes? My parents are claiming it's more light brown-ish, but I've always thought of myself as blonde.)

It can make it feel like I'm dragging my eyebrows onto the top of my head if I'm not careful with the placement of my band. It has to be just so - not on the back of my head, but not right on top either. Though closer to the top than the back, yes?
That sounds about right, yeah! Too far back and it pulls like hell.

I'm definitely going to try Flossy's reversed version if I can figure out how, it looks really cute. And I want to try a half-up, half-down version, too.

chopandchange
July 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
clichepithet, when I said "upside-down" I just meant an inverted version of the style. This would lead to the tie being at the top instead of the bottom. Somone has posted on this thread saying they did it upside-down, and I think that's what they meant.

I wasn't referring to the position we stand in when doing it. I don't think there is any way you could do it without having to lean forward. You need to flip your hair to the front. If there were someone there to help you, I suppose they could roll it from the back.

It's cool that we are already producing LHC variations!

For those of us whose hair gets messy and tangly from doing it, I wonder if it would work as a comfortable way of securing a (high) braid into a bun. I'm sure it wouldn't look the same, because if the hair was braided it wouldn't spread out into a doughnut, but it would be more comfortable than using a hairstick. The only problem would be the ends - maybe the braid tassle could be tucked in first, to stop the ends from getting bent as some of us are reporting.

Hmmm. Maybe I will leave it to someone else to try, as I'm one of the people with long thick hair who is having problems with "dragging!"

Edit: schweedie, maybe your parents say that about your hair colour because I see you're from a Nordic country where I believe it's very common for people to have platinum blonde hair (or am I guilty of buying into a stereoype when I say that?) Anything paler than platinum is perhaps dismissed as brown! The reverse happened to me when I lived in Spain, where most people tend to be so dark-haired that they consistently referred to me as "blonde" even though my hair is genuinely light brown (unlike yours, which I'd say is definitely blonde with very pretty highlights).

clichepithet
July 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks, guys! :) (My hair IS blonde, yes? My parents are claiming it's more light brown-ish, but I've always thought of myself as blonde.)

(snip)

I'd say blonde. I think we get spoiled as to defining blonds. Many of us are very fair as children, to the point of white which naturally darkens as we age. Also, as chopandchange suggests, it is reasonable to assume that the more light-light-blondes are more common in part A of the world, as opposed to part B and C.

clichepithet, when I said "upside-down" I just meant an inverted version of the style. (snip) I wasn't referring to the position we stand in when doing it. I don't think there is any way you could do it without having to lean forward. (snip)

Ah, erm... oops? :o

Well, perhaps someday a true longhair will go into space, and they will do the rag bun in zero gravity. And thus not have to flip forward. :ponder:

:cheese:

reishka
July 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I got it! I'm so happy -- and it came out so pretty! Now that I know how to do this with a long scarf I'll try again with the bandanna, because I did sort of like the fan-style.

So, I used a huge scarf this time, made into a triangle. I wrapped it MUCH more tightly than I did last time. I knotted it at the bottom, put in three bun pins to help it stay/hold the weight, then tied the tails at the top and then tucked them in along the sides. It came out really pretty! I wore my hair up like this to a friend's barbecue today.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5079&pictureid=77739

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5079&pictureid=77737

linda g
July 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Well, perhaps someday a true longhair will go into space, and they will do the rag bun in zero gravity. And thus not have to flip forward. :ponder:

epic!!! :D

linda g
July 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM
oh reishka! I LOVE it with a long scarf!

reishka
July 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM
I do too! I'm so happy with the way that it turned out. :)

The more I think about it, the more I realise what I think is a scarf isn't really a scarf? It's a big square of fabric... But I don't know what else to call it, lol. I think maybe I'll take a photo of it when I take my hair down (but I don't want to right now because it's soooooooo comfy!)

chopandchange
July 24th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Hee hee! Do you mean their hair would be floating up above their head?

The only flaw in your theory is that if they had hair longer than their arms, they wouldn't be able to reach the tips to start wrapping...

It's still a fun idea!

reishka
July 24th, 2010, 08:44 PM
So, here's a photo for comparison:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5079&pictureid=77761

The small square is a regular sized bandanna (the one that I tried this with the other day), and the larger one is what I used to wrap my hair in today.

Also... I got some curls, but it ended up looking really kinda messy. I'm not sure what, if anything, I can do to change that.

Flossy
July 25th, 2010, 02:08 AM
To do mine 'upside down' I did it in a low ponytail, then lifted the ponytail up above my head, with the point of the triangle of the bandanna at the ends, on the under side, then rolled down and bought the ties up and around to tie off.

Clear as mud? ;)

lapushka
July 25th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I do too! I'm so happy with the way that it turned out. :)

:thumbsup: Gorgeous!

clichepithet
July 25th, 2010, 07:11 AM
To do mine 'upside down' I did it in a low ponytail, then lifted the ponytail up above my head, with the point of the triangle of the bandanna at the ends, on the under side, then rolled down and bought the ties up and around to tie off.

Clear as mud? ;)

Ah-HA! Genius... though I was hoping you had gnomes...

reiska, those scarves are pretty and the big-bun you got with the larger, silky one is... well, big! :D I really need to go get some scarves now. I see ones I like all the time but just never knew what to do with them!

Bluegrass Babe
July 25th, 2010, 04:59 PM
reiska -
I love the look with a bigger scarf!

Here is my attempt using cotton bandanas, which, btw, are hard to untie.
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/th_ragbun.jpg (http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/?action=view&current=ragbun.jpg)

My bun had to be secured with pins it was so heavy. That worked for an hour - then I had to put it in a sling. After that got too uncomfortable, I gave up. Here is my result on still damp hair. Maybe it will work better overnight.
http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/Bluegrass-Babe/nikonpics016.jpg

ETA: My hair was too damp when I rolled and still damp when I unrolled. The curls disappeared.

chopandchange
July 25th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it too heavy. I hate feeling like I'm just doing everything wrong in some mysterious way when my updos always seem to hurt!

At least it works for some people! :cheese:

Bunnyhare
July 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM
i loved this idea and tried it last night..it is a good sleeping bun, anc cute when tied up just right! i have a lot of scarves, but i used a cotton bandana on dry hair, second day after wash, no help products, overnight and i got these pretty little things!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3655&pictureid=77826
We'll see how it holds up, more likely i will need to put it up to work! DH loves them:D

Bunnyhare
July 27th, 2010, 10:38 AM
well, they didnot hold up well all day, after multiple bunns and the heat, they were very lim and barely noticable at the end of the day..but i did it again last night on dry hair againand it turned out just as well the second time and it is a great sleeping bun! so i think this is a keeper for me, even without the heated stuff inside the bandanna!
thanks for posting about this!

Fairlight63
July 27th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Oh, your curls are so pretty, Bunnyhare!

IStand4u
July 27th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I have to give this a try today, perhaps I'll go have my shower now, put my hair up and leave it till morning! :D Thanks for the awesome idea!

anrems
July 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Oh wow, I want to try this. I'm now going to tear my apartment apart to find a cloth I can cut into a triangle to make this! It looks cute, and I'm excited to see if it makes nice curls in my hair! Thanks for posting!

chopandchange
July 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Oh wow, I want to try this. I'm now going to tear my apartment apart to find a cloth I can cut into a triangle to make this! It looks cute, and I'm excited to see if it makes nice curls in my hair! Thanks for posting!

Before you do that, consider that it might be better cutting it into a square, and then folding it into a triangle.

That way, you can adjust the size of the triangle by folding it differently as your hair grows, and you require more fabric.

(I suppose this doesn't really matter too much if you're just going to be using up scrap material, but it's just a thought!)

chopandchange
July 27th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Bunnyhare, your hair looks gorgeous!

Bluegrass Babe
July 27th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I tried again when my hair was drier and left it overnight. Results were same as my previous post, curl-wise. I was hoping for results similar to schweedie's and bunnyhare's

reishka, did you fold once into a triangle or twice?

Thinthondiel
July 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Edit: schweedie, maybe your parents say that about your hair colour because I see you're from a Nordic country where I believe it's very common for people to have platinum blonde hair (or am I guilty of buying into a stereoype when I say that?) Anything paler than platinum is perhaps dismissed as brown! The reverse happened to me when I lived in Spain, where most people tend to be so dark-haired that they consistently referred to me as "blonde" even though my hair is genuinely light brown (unlike yours, which I'd say is definitely blonde with very pretty highlights). (emphasis mine)

I think you're mostly right, but I also think you meant to say darker than platinum, not paler. ;)

I wouldn't say that everything that's darker than platinum is considered brown here, because platinum (as in practically white) is less common than at least a little bit darker blond, from what I've seen. Platinum could be more common in Sweden than in Norway, though

Of course, there's disagreement as to what's dark blond and what's light brown, as I'm sure there is in many countries, and I can see how some people would consider Schweedie's hair light brown, but I think I'd call that blond (possibly borderline light brown).

chopandchange
July 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I think you're mostly right, but I also think you meant to say darker than platinum, not paler. ;)

Oops, so I did! Ha ha ha!

Bunnyhare
July 28th, 2010, 05:14 PM
thank you both so much Fairlight63 and chopandchange! i appreciate the compliment so much! on the 3 rd day ( i try to stretch my washings as afr as they will go..) it did not make as pretty a curl as it did that second day...DH loves to wake up to them so i have been doing it every night anyway..tonight will be my first damp time,... i will let ya know how that goes! its great for sleeping in!

Darkhorse1
July 29th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I just saw this style and loved it as a way to protect my hair/give a bun some flare at a horse show.

However, seeing how huge the bun gets, I may modify this style for my needs. Curls are inevitable for me since I have naturally wavy hair.

I also LOVE these scarves/bandanas! Hahaha

chopandchange
July 30th, 2010, 06:18 AM
DarkHorse1, if you're at a horse show, will you be wearing a hat like in your avatar? If so, this bun might not be any good because it doesn't seem to work as a low bun at the nape of the neck. It needs to be up higher, and I don't think your hat would fit on top of it!

We'd be interested to hear how you are planning on "modifying" it! Do tell...:D

clichepithet
July 30th, 2010, 11:51 AM
DarkHorse1, if you're at a horse show, will you be wearing a hat like in your avatar? If so, this bun might not be any good because it doesn't seem to work as a low bun at the nape of the neck. It needs to be up higher, and I don't think your hat would fit on top of it!

We'd be interested to hear how you are planning on "modifying" it! Do tell...:D

Unless one did it in the reverse/upside down fashion, though very low. Then it might look more like the July-Style-of-the-Month Chignon. 0.o

Bunnyhare
July 30th, 2010, 12:49 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3655&pictureid=78153
This was my attempt on just washed almost dry hair..i made the roll a bit tighter so it would not flop around, and the curls are a bit tighter than i like. I would beinterested to see it rolled the other way too!

Prettyeyes23
August 17th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I wanted to post on this topic for two reasons! One, to get it back onto the main page because this is such a great style! It is easy, protective, and yields great results. The second reason I wanted to post is because I have tried it a few times now, and I have pictures in my album if anyone wants to see.

***I'm not sure how to post pics in the thread, sorry!***

eamane
August 18th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I wanted to post on this topic for two reasons! One, to get it back onto the main page because this is such a great style! It is easy, protective, and yields great results. The second reason I wanted to post is because I have tried it a few times now, and I have pictures in my album if anyone wants to see.

***I'm not sure how to post pics in the thread, sorry!***
I looked in your album and the rag bun looks great on you. Some great waves you got to :)

marisa
September 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I'm glad you brought this thread back!
I never saw this the first time around and am thoroughly enjoying it.
Think I'll give it a try tonight.

LHC100
January 22nd, 2011, 12:20 AM
I'm glad someone brought this to the fore, again, too! I look forward to trying it - both "ways" people have talked about.

saf
January 25th, 2011, 11:02 PM
This was the thread someone found for me (thanks!) and i am going to try this with the long enough layers on the top of my head with my shoulder length bob.... and i might even try to post my first pic.

MandaMom2Three
January 26th, 2011, 07:42 AM
This is kinda neat! I feel all anime somehow with this bun in top of my head and long bandana ends trailing down my back :D . I'm going to try this damp sometime overnight, my hair holds curl well so it will be neat to see what I get!

walterSCAN
January 26th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'm sitting on my only silky scarf right now to get out some wrinkles so I can try this! (too lazy to get out the iron, ha!) I can't wait to try this! I saw a girl in one of my classes last year with her hair bunned with a scarf, and now I'm wondering 1) if she was doing this bun and 2) if she found it here! I really wanted to try it after I saw hers but couldn't figure it out...

bunzfan
January 26th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I am going to give this a try as i have wavy hair i hope to get some pretty curls.

Valdeon
January 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I want to try this too! Since I discovered that my hair breaks mostly in night time, i think this hairstyle would be great to sleep on: ends protected and no ties.

chopandchange
February 11th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Just bumping this thread for any newbies who may want to try it.

I'm so frustrated I can't get it to work for me due to the weight.

mariazelie
February 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Mine kept slipping out when I moved around in bed (probably due to the silk, as someone has pointed out - thanks!) so I got fed up and just removed it and slept with my hair loose for the first time in years. I got really sweaty! Don't know how people manage to sleep with their hair loose (or how I used to do it myself, years ago!)

Curl results: I was very pleased with the pretty curls on the ends, but the length was kind of poofy and frizzy. Also there were a lot of new tangles, splits and white dots. :( Now, maybe this is just MY hair, and not everyone's hair would tangle like this, but having tried it out it seems this is yet another updo that's no good for my hair.

Sigh.

S&D required later...

I'm glad some of you are finding it works for you, though. It's got me thinking about using scarfs instead of sticks/pins, and I am going to play around and see if I can invent another way of holding up my hair with just a scarf.
I tried to find a paper I had printed out sometime back and I couldn't find it; I am sorry, that is par for me. What I wanted to tell you is that if you research online, there are some great sights for tying scarves. Some of them are braided down the length of your hair. Your post reminded me of how pretty they are and you might like that look. I am sorry I couldn't find the link. Just take a look and you will find some good ideas.

SwordWomanRiona
February 26th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I want to try this to get some waves! Want to bet how long they'll stay on my 1a fine hair? :D

butterflycayton
March 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Bumping thread.... I tried this rag bun for a couple of hours and got some great curls on the end. My hair never curls very good. I will be doing this for going someplace nice and wear my hair down.

proo
March 3rd, 2011, 03:16 PM
I would love more scarf tying protective do ideas, let's keep them coming.

Camee
April 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Bumping this thread in case there's anyone like me trying to find a new sleep style.

I haven't tried it yet (I've got my hair up nicely and I'm going out later) but I'm hoping this might be what I'm looking for: a comfortable style that will protect my ends, keep it restrained and doesn't involve a homicidal braid.

AND might give me curls every morning for some variety!

SoulOfTheSea
January 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I'm going to give this thread another bump because I want to try this out as a curling technique, and I'm sure others would as well. :)

cubiczoeconia
January 4th, 2012, 12:44 AM
This definitely interests me more as a sleep style, especially given the original video's pretty yucky-looking(imo) results. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out for at least one night, though.

Kira94
January 4th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Hm, I'll have to try this. :)

SoulOfTheSea
January 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM
This definitely interests me more as a sleep style, especially given the original video's pretty yucky-looking(imo) results. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try it out for at least one night, though.

Other people have gotten breath-taking results from this though. So you never know. :)

jacqueline101
January 4th, 2012, 12:04 PM
It looks neat maybe in the future I'd try it.

wicked kisses
January 4th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I slept in one of these last night, and woke up with awesome curls. I put it very high on my head, and had no trouble sleeping in it.

I also put my hair in one of these for working out yesterday. Comfy and secure.

ETA: I would definitely use this for an occasion where I needed fabulous hair left down.

ah but the visual I just got would make it worth it. If you have a 'friend' who loves long hair, you wear it up, after curling, then at an appropriately dramatic moment, let it down.
One reason to love hair sticks.

luvnaz
January 4th, 2012, 08:14 PM
I've heard of this in another thread that was about the sock bun. The way the person described it was backwards to how I imagined it after I saw the video in this thread!

She said to put your hair in a ponytail, lay the bandana on the bed with the apex or point furthest away, lay the ponytail on the point (apex) and roll it up.

At least that's what I recall she said...Hmmmmm

I think I'll do some experimenting!

missdelarocha
January 5th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Definitely going to try this when my hair is longer and recommend it, though due to gravity I will be recommending the 'reversed' option as it does not pull on the hair so much :p, also if your hair is shorter as opposed to the ends flicking UPward they will roll INward/DOWNward.

I was thinking though, what about reversing it and wearing it lower, so the scarf ties at the top of the bun. I tried it, and took a quick pic (please pardon the pic, I am still trying to get used to taking them of the back of my head, and then photobucket makes them tiny):

Very happy!

Thanks chopandchange for bringing this bun to everybody's attention!!

fridgee
January 5th, 2012, 06:20 AM
For those of you that don't want to use a hairband, but find the ribbon idea not strong enough to hold your hair up, you could try a hairband like this:

http://www.glitz4girlz.com/hair-bobbles/green-bright-heart-bobbles.html

I used to live in these when I was a child :D You wrap it round the ponytail base then hook one of the plastic bits though the other loop to hold it in place, so the hair doesn't actually go through the hair band, if that makes sense. So you could make the ponytail, roll the scarf, then either before or after tying the scarf up could unhook the hairband and release the ponytail.

I just tried this hairstyle and really like how comfy it is and love how my ends are safely tucked away and kept moist by the damp bandana. It doesn't look particularly good, probably a combination of lack of practise/dexterity and awkward layers that are just the wrong length for EVERYTHING I try to do! I don't care though as I'm dossing... ehem sorry 'working' at home today!

Also after tying the bandana at the bottom I brought the loose ends up and tied them on top of the bun, to shorten then ends and make a totally cute bow in top! :D I'm not if sure the curls will work, again because of the awkward layers that will inevitably stick out at outrageous angles, but I guess it may amaze me when I take it down later. Definitely like it for a protective style though.

missdelarocha
January 7th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Haha please take a photo of your result! Unless the curls are abysmal. :p

evelynmosby
May 3rd, 2014, 12:13 PM
Great tips! Thanks :)

MINAKO
May 3rd, 2014, 01:05 PM
"Natural Elements in there" made me very sceptical tbh. Might as well try that with just a normal bandana. I can't imagine it to give better results then a hairagami. So i dunno...