PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* hating my hair right now

09robiha
July 16th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Its getting incredibly thin. The curl is getting looser and looser and its just getting worse.

I feel so so so ashamed of my hair, every time I take it down or wash it...its makes me burst into tears and my self confidence is taking a huge knock right now.

I am about his close to shaving the lot off!

pixi_stix
July 16th, 2010, 07:55 AM
How is your general health. I ask because the thinning may be caused by illness, espcially low iron and zinc levels

Loreley
July 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I feel the same often. :( But now I can see some improvement because I trim every month and my ends are getting thicker. I'm a bit disappointed that I have no growth but I'm not that ashamed when I'm wearing it down. Maybe you should try trimming half an inch or so. It can make a huge difference! :)

UltraBella
July 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM
:( I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I hope it gets better for you !

HairColoredHair
July 16th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Perhaps it's time to put it up with some pretty/sparkley barettes or pins/sticks/forks/hairties and not look at it for a while? That generally makes me feel better when I'm having one of those weeks/months.

And yes, how is your health doing? Overall health effects hair health and stressing over hair health effects overall health... it's a vicious cycle.

Gabriel
July 16th, 2010, 08:01 AM
:grouphug:
I agree, definitely check out your physical health and any other changes. Even different eating habits can effect hair. Also your stress level (in general).

If that's all good take a look at the weather and humidity in your local area. Maybe you have to change tactics for the different season for your hair to look it's best.

Have you tried switching up products? Maybe clarifying could help? Or a small trim or dusting? What about a fun temporary color like Manic Panic?

09robiha
July 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM
thank you for the responses guys. I have stopped crying now :).

In general my health is ok. This is my 2nd year completly free of anorexia and my diet is better than ever. I take a multi vitamin nearly everyday, and exercise often. I do however, dont sleep as much as I should about 7 or 8 hours a night due to my working patterns.

09robiha
July 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM

Have you tried switching up products? Maybe clarifying could help? Or a small trim or dusting? What about a fun temporary color like Manic Panic?

Switching condisdhes made it worse...but my dneamn is defiatly helping!!....maybe it is time for a new shade of manic panic :eyebrows:

triumphator!
July 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Everything is going to be okay! Don't take it out on your hair, pretend like it is a garden of flowers and you just need a little more fertilizer / watering : )

You are allowed to have a rough stint like this, you don't have to have gorgeous hair all the time. It's a project, remember?

Best of luck!

StayPutDarling
July 16th, 2010, 11:19 AM
One of the things my mother's stylist pointed out to me when I told her I didn't know why my hair grew as long or as thick as it does, was my diet. I eat a lot of fatty fish (Salmon, tuna, and trout) which are rich in Omega-3s and a lot of gelatin (I come from a very ethnic family, so headcheese and bone-based broths are a staple in my house). I have a very slow metabolism, unfortunately, and fish is easiest for my body to process without turning it into fat stores.

If you're not a fan of fish, there are a lot of really good odorless fish oil capsules out there, and hair/nails/skin supplements too. Jell-O is also a good source of gelatin too!

Best of luck to ya!

spidermom
July 16th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Like Haircoloredhair, my solution for cycles of hating my hair is just to hurry-up-quick put it up every day without even looking at it. I'm doing that right now because I don't want to trim it until I get to my goal, classic length. I'm so close, but I'm noticing so many splits, and I just don't want to cut it. So up it goes.

heynormy
July 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I totally understand what you are going through!
Last year I had a major shed and all I wanted to do was crawl up into a ball and hide! For me, it turns out that the shampoo that I was using caused me to shed, so once I eliminated it the problem was gone! Maybe you added something to your routine that is not working out.
I hope things get better for you!!:)

melrose1985
July 16th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I totally understand what you are going through!
Last year I had a major shed and all I wanted to do was crawl up into a ball and hide! For me, it turns out that the shampoo that I was using caused me to shed, so once I eliminated it the problem was gone! Maybe you added something to your routine that is not working out.
I hope things get better for you!!:)

My shampoo I used to use made me shed terrible too...

Best of luck!

Xi
July 16th, 2010, 01:04 PM
:grouphug: I second (third?) the put-it-up suggestions -- one of the blessings of long hair is that you can tuck away when it's not behaving. It sounds like you're taking good care of your health, so I'm sure your hair will respond -- sometimes it just takes a while. I think some curlies find their hair stretches more to waves as it grows longer (definitely not an expert, sorry!). Speaking as a near straight-hair, I think your wurly/curly hair is lovely!:flower:

Hang in there! One day soon you'll take your hair down and notice something wonderful about it -- how soft it is, or the pretty colour, or perhaps the length (!), and feel repaid for your efforts. :)