PDA

View Full Version : Scientific explanation why hair turns gray or white

Chrissy
July 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM
http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/grayhair.html

This is really very interesting. It also has a picture of a woman with very long hair.

luluj
July 16th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Very Intersting!!:agree: Thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

EdG
July 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM
That is interesting.

I'm getting grayer every day. I just have to tell my melanocytes to get on the ball. :D
Ed

dropinthebucket
July 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
thanks for posting this interesting article link!

littlenvy
July 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Interesting.

and the "Hair has the highest rate of mitosis (cell division). An average hair grows 0.3 mm a day and 1 cm per month. "

I guess they've never seen out monistat thread. LOL

pixi_stix
July 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I had a similar discussion about this with my hairdresser when she told me my hair would never turn grey, it would only turn white because my natural colour is red.

In2wishin
July 16th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Very interesting.

I clicked on one of the related articles mentioned at the bottom of this article called "San Francisco Exploratorium: Better hair through chemistry" it was very informative also!

pennyroyal
July 16th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Very cool, thanks for posting! & can i say that the woman in the picture has very long & gorgeous hair!

StayPutDarling
July 16th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I'm on the unfortunate end of genetics. I look like my great-grandmother, who went white around 30. I already have more than my fair-share of gray hair at 23. :(

Prettychild
July 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
I've had white hair since I was 6. In the beginning I had 3 white hairs on the crown of my head (why some people get grays and some people get white hairs???). My natural hair colour is black-black. My mum would pluck them out.

In my twenties I started getting the white hairs all over and now in my mid-thirties I have about 35%. The hairs are pure snow white! I use henna mixed with indigo but my white come out bright red (haven't found the correct mix rate I guess). It is a pain to dye my hair but I am not ready to look older just yet.

My mum went white in her early thirties as well. There is no way to reverse this, right?

pixi_stix
July 16th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I (why some people get grays and some people get white hairs???).

There's no such colour as grey hair. Grey hair is dark hairs, with the newer white hairs mixed in

cm006j
July 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I'm on the unfortunate end of genetics. I look like my great-grandmother, who went white around 30. I already have more than my fair-share of gray hair at 23. :(

I'm with you. I went gray around 20. My then-15-year-old brother looked down at the top of my head and said, "Aren't you going to do anything about that?"

I dyed with chemical dye for a long time and now I'm doing henna in order to keep my hair healthy, but I'm 28 and I am not ready to just let it all go gray.

cm006j
July 16th, 2010, 12:45 PM
There's no such colour as grey hair. Grey hair is dark hairs, with the newer white hairs mixed in

Hmmm, maybe it's a trick of the light? I swear when I looked at my individual gray hairs, they didn't look that white. If I ever let them grow again I'll have to check on it, but I really don't want to let my hair go gray again just so I can look into this!

Jammy
July 16th, 2010, 12:46 PM
WOW! This also explains why those of us with dark hair sometimes see a light demarcation line on shed hairs!!!!!!

"Hair has a “melanogentic clock” which slows down or stops melanocyte activity, thus decreasing the pigment our hair receives. This occurs just before the hair is preparing to fall out or shed, so the roots always look pale. "

I have always wondered/worried about this!

Shield31
July 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Grays are advancing day after day. Mostly at the temples, but also a few mixed in. Eyebrows and mustache even grayer. But, it's their time so I am respectful of the process. The article was a good reminder of the physiologic reasons. Hard to alter the march of time, isn't it?

TinaDenali
July 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for sharing that! What an interesting article!

Darkhorse1
July 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks so much for sharing that Chrissy!

goodenough
July 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM
uh oh- I've been sheding more and more hairs with light roots. Guess they'll be my new white little friends soon! I am so curious about going grey that I don't mind. I figure it will be interesting, and I can always dye it if I don't like it.

In2wishin
July 16th, 2010, 03:07 PM

Actually, according to the article:

"It is well known that gray hair results from a reduction of pigment, while white hair has no pigment, but why this happens remains somewhat of a mystery"

"As the hair is being formed, melanocytes inject pigment (melanin) into cells containing keratin. Keratin is the protein that makes up our hair, skin, and nails. Throughout the years, melanocyctes continue to inject pigment into the hair’s keratin, giving it a colorful hue.

With age comes a reduction of melanin. The hair turns gray and eventually white."