PDA

View Full Version : My waves have returned!

Ruce
July 15th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Or rather, appeared for the first time I guess! Up until about a week ago I had been straightening my hair, but I decided to give it a break because it was becoming weak and white spots were appearing on my hair.

I bought a conditioner which claim to repair your damaged hair, and even though I know there's no way to repair your damaged hair, I tried it anyway. It seemed to strengthen my hair, but the most noticeable difference was that my hair had gained some waves!

Previously, my hairs were all straight and seemed to flick at the ends in whatever direction they liked. Now they have so much more body! The waves lie flat against my head so it's clearly type 2a, which I don't mind much because it is probably easier to style than other wavy types.

I thought I had to vent my happiness to some people! Do you think it's the lack of straightening, the conditioner, or new growth that triggered the waves?

Hana
July 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Probably a mixture of all the things you tried! :D So good to hear you're happy with what you've discovered.

Using oils might help with the damage, and help your wavies form nicely too.

Just out of interest, how does your hair behave with silicones?

tinti
July 15th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Congrats! Not that I know why, but it looks like it's because you've given your hair a rest and babying it a bit more :) That's the only thing I can think of.

Ruce
July 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM
My hair seems rather oblivious to silicones, although I only use one product which has them and I've started using that less. My hair is quite strong considering I only trim three times a year (occasionally skip trims if my hair isn't damaged enough) and it has endured a year of constant flat ironing before it started getting noticeably damaged.

Hana
July 15th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Sounds similar to my hair, although I think I was straightening for about 5 or 6 years.

I still stand by my original comment, I think it's the mixture of care you've been giving your hair that has contributed to your wavies.

Still, congrats!

bumblebums
July 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I thought I had to vent my happiness to some people! Do you think it's the lack of straightening, the conditioner, or new growth that triggered the waves?

If it's only been a week since you stopped straightening, then it's probably not new growth but the other two changes. The conditioner must have added moisture. You can also experiment with protein and see if your hair likes that--although if you're liking what you see, don't change anything about your routine!

And congrats and welcome to Wurly World!

jera
July 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I think it's a combo of all you're doing and not doing. I used to straighten my hair all the time and when I stopped I noticed I had some nice natural wavies. :) Congrats on you success.