PDA

View Full Version : What Hair Myths would you like Mythbusters to test?

Laurenji
July 15th, 2010, 11:23 AM
So, I've been watching a lot of Mythbusters lately, going back and watching old episodes online that I missed. I just recently watched the one where they attempt to escape from prison using a rope made of hair, which I thought was fascinating.

It got me to thinking: what other hair myths could they test? To be Mythbusters worthy, it has to be at least somewhat crazy/exciting/explosive/disgusting/cool so that the general populace would be interested (not just us LHCers).

So, what hair myths or myths involving hair would you like to see the Mythbusters test?

(I actually haven't thought of any yet...except for maybe if honey does actually lighten hair, but that might be too long-term of a myth for them, since if honey does lighten, it does it so gradually...)

jeno
July 15th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Well, the biggest hair-myth of all I guess is the one "if you cut your hair it will grow faster". But I don't think testing that one will be spectacularly enough for MythBusters...

Wavelength
July 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Whatever we decide on, it has to involve explosives. ;)

Nae
July 15th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Well, they could do something on the how flammable hair products are. Which ones are the worst, which ones are the best. It is pretty nightmarish for the average LHCer but it would involve hair and possible explosions.

maybe sparrow
July 15th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Right. The Hairspray flamethrower.

Or, the person who's hair lights up instantaneously.

Aleria
July 15th, 2010, 12:23 PM
One that I hate is the "100 strokes a day" my grandma asked me if I brush my hair that much when I was talking about how the hairdresser was hurting me by combing and pulling upwards.
However, it's definitely not fun enough for the mythbusters.

Jenn of Pence
July 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM
I didn't have an original idea, but I agree that flammable hair products would be a "blast!" ;)

TiltedHal0
July 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
A scientific based approach would be in testing the PH scale.

If our hair is 4.5-5.5 on the PH scale (acidic), and water is at 7 (neutral), does putting just water on our hair open our cuticles?....How far either way on the PH scale (acidic or alkaline)do we go before damage is noticed? Heat opens our cuticles too, so does heat effect the PH scale? All of the shampoos and conditioners that claim to be PH balanced, what does that really mean and does that mean they fall in the 4.5-5.5 on the scale or does "balanced" mean it is in the middle at 7? Hair products that claim to repair the hair with moisture and protein...does the protein really go into the hair? How small of an atom does the protein have to be to go into the hair shaft and repair? Or is this just something that covers the hair to make it feel like it's repaired?

Hmmm...questions, questions, questions....lol

vanity_acefake
July 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
They could test if leaving on hair straightners could set a house on fire!

MsBubbles
July 15th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Very thought-provoking thread! I second Jeno's proposal. Oh yeah, and whether most regular 'cones really do seal out moisture. LOL!

LeaM07
July 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
They could test what happens when you ignore the labels and use a hair dryer in the shower. :flamed:

rags
July 15th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Well, I'd like to see them test "the great cone debate" definitly (whether or not it does build up and seal out moisture), like MsBubbles said. But since that doesn't involve anything catching on fire or exploding, I don't think they'd go for it.

ptnicole
July 15th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Do blondes really have more fun? I'm sure they could blow something up while busting this myth!

FYI...I am my natural light brown now...my avatar is old and I somehow I continue to have fun :eyebrows:!

sibiryachka
July 15th, 2010, 02:17 PM
/hijack/

DBF and I were just watching a rerun of MB last night, one where Kari was quite pregnant. I noticed that her hair was a darker red than her current color, and was speculating about whether she might have switched to henna during her pregnancy... something about that color looked not-chemical to me. It is of course possible that I was *totally* projecting. ;)

/end hijack/

Anje
July 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I don't know about myths, but they could have some fun exploring exactly what happens when you use a straightener on wet hair.

We could always create some myth involving large quantities of hairspray + heat styling leading to fires. At least then we'd find out how much of each you need to apply before your head goes up in flames.

alabaster
July 15th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I think they could have some fun looking closer at the Monistat debate.... Come on putting "cooter" cream on your hair to make it grow faster makes for decent television ;)

julya
July 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM
They could test what happens when you ignore the labels and use a hair dryer in the shower. :flamed:

I saw an episode where they put a hair dryer into the bath tub, it just pumped the water!

Alvrodul
July 15th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Considering all the nasty - and poisonous - chemicals that goes into hair coloring products there should be opportunity for something there. I visualize an alchemical lab, full of weird-looking arrangements of bottles and tubes, with alembics filled wit oddly-colored liquids bubbling away over blue and green flames...:cool:

LeaM07
July 15th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I saw an episode where they put a hair dryer into the bath tub, it just pumped the water!Oh, too funny... I didn't know it had already been done. :lol:

Laurenji
July 15th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Ooooo... the Monistat one might be interesting.

ilovelonghair
July 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM
-Do split ends really travel up?
-Is it true that hairs don't fall out during pregnancy and fall out all at once after pregnancy?
-Does having hair spray on hair make it more flammable? (it already is without hair spray shudder:)

Tovah
July 15th, 2010, 06:14 PM
How about if there is a difference in flammability in hair based on what color, texture and whether it's been dyed? Ah, but we'd have to make up a myth and spread it around-like blonde hair combusts faster than brown hair or curly hair burns longer than straight hair.

Madame J
July 15th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Whatever they decide to test, I want to see it tested on Jamie's mustache.

JenniferNoel
July 15th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Another vote for hair product fatality. As in, say, if your hair is loaded with spray/products, getting too close to some candles at the wrong height, will it burst in to flame? Or it that not enough heat, right? I do know for a fact that if your hair catches fire, it burns down to your skull and "melts" your brain before anything else so you die before the rest of your body catches fire. Less painful.

eyesofsummer
July 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Whatever they decide to test, I want to see it tested on Jamie's mustache.

Agreed :agree: :D

Nae
July 15th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Wouldn't Buster look cute with a flaming head of hair??? Oh yeah.

vanity_acefake
July 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Ooh i've just thought of one. It's in the same idea as the hair rope one Laurenji saw them test but it is a myth/fairytail. Rapunzal! Can you climb a tower only using a long hair braid.

hermosamendoza
July 15th, 2010, 09:20 PM
[quote=ilovelonghair;1170729]-
-Is it true that hairs don't fall out during pregnancy and fall out all at once after pregnancy?[quote]

It grew about 6 inches during pregnancy and was nice and thick but...
yes, yes, yes, it has been 6 months and it still looks like the yeti bathed in my shower when I am done.

The growth and thickness was not worth it due to all the shedding!

sibiryachka
July 16th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Eew, remember the old classic about spiders nesting in a beehive hairdo that went unwashed for weeks? I don't want to think about how they'd test that, though. *shudder*

Juneii
July 16th, 2010, 12:46 AM
ahaha, while our ideas are very interesting and important to us unfortunately won't be understood by the rest of the viewers.

I can't think of anything though, if anything we can just test it ourselves (given that we won't be blowing our hair up or igniting it)

littlenvy
July 16th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Do blondes really have more fun? I'm sure they could blow something up while busting this myth!

FYI...I am my natural light brown now...my avatar is old and I somehow I continue to have fun :eyebrows:!
HAHA!! :eyebrows:

Not a blonde one but they DID test whether or not redheads have a lower tolerance for pain and the answer was YES, unless you are a redheaded woman which will make your pain threshold higher than man's. :p

I want them to test how you can safely (without damage or build up) bind proteins to hair to make them thicker and stronger. ;);) I would love my hair to go from F to M. *sigh*

If not that one then I would have to agree with some of you and would l love to see WHAT it is in Monistat that seems to make hair grow faster.

ilovelonghair
July 17th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Eew, remember the old classic about spiders nesting in a beehive hairdo that went unwashed for weeks? I don't want to think about how they'd test that, though. *shudder*

Or test dreadlocks on bacteria.

Curlzncoilz
July 17th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Nothing explosive :) but I would be interested to know more about:

Hair strand tensile strength?
Products increasing strand tensile strength exponentially?
Effect of different types of protein (collagen, wheat, keratin) on hair strand?

ilovelonghair
July 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hair strand tensile strength?

Apparently 100 gram, I think this can be tested by ourselves, unfortunately I don't have weights.

GRU
July 19th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Does henna REALLY strengthen hair?

They could make a rope of regular hair and a rope of hennaed hair and keep adding BIG weights until the rope breaks.... they could add bags of flour for the weights, and then it would make a big POOF when the bags broke when they crashed.....

ilovelonghair
July 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Does henna REALLY strengthen hair?

I have tested this partly in a shop that sold so called 'hair strengthening products". First on my really damaged bleached hair, that looked disgusting under the microscope. And I had a look after henna, that looked so much different: all the scales that stood open at first were closed and there was an extra visible layer (from henna) around the hair.

Jessica Trapp
July 24th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Does long hair *really* take more time than short hair?

Keildra
July 24th, 2010, 09:28 PM
HAHA!! :eyebrows:

Not a blonde one but they DID test whether or not redheads have a lower tolerance for pain and the answer was YES, unless you are a redheaded woman which will make your pain threshold higher than man's. :p

I saw that episode and the redheads had a higher tolerence to pain

Unipeg
July 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
How about the one about the womans hair weave stopping a 9mm bullet?

littlenvy
July 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I saw that episode and the redheads had a higher tolerence to pain
Yes. Right you are. :)

I got all mixed up with the women vs men and the swearing vs not swearing LOL

Qwackie
July 31st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Brushing while wet will make split ends, and they'd probably have the build team do it if they did it.

JesusFreak88
August 7th, 2010, 08:42 PM
How about the one about the womans hair weave stopping a 9mm bullet?

That sounds like something rght up their alley. I think we should coppy this tread and e-mail it to them to see if they would test any of these.

LittleOrca
August 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
That the InStyler really does do damage so those people at the mall will shut up and stop bothering me.

Laurenji
August 8th, 2010, 01:02 AM
Or we could have them test the WO method of hair washing--if your scalp does really stop producing as much sebum over time. That could be interesting.

Vampire
August 8th, 2010, 02:23 AM
I would like them to test out some hair fighting :D
Can u actually do things like in movies : through daggers? strangle someone? etc. etc http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd332/Jantta/Hiuksii/0013729e4a9d0972245222.jpghttp://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd332/Jantta/Hiuksii/tbwwh4.jpg

Aredhel77
August 8th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I've never seen this programme (in UK), but the premise sounds good.

I think they need to test cheese - and it's hair benefits (topical application, anyone? How about a cheddar protein treatment?)

Also it's ability to stop WW3 from breaking out. :cheese:

And as the grand finale they could explode a giant Edam :eyebrows: :thumbsup: