PDA

View Full Version : stupid spiral ends (VERY pic heavy)

squiggyflop
July 14th, 2010, 07:26 PM
the top of my hair is straight and the bottom is stretched out spirals..(well actually its one really big spiral) i cant be the only one who has this problem

so here is a pic of the way my braid tassles tend to look
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/braidtasslespiral.jpg
as you can see they start to form a spiral

here is the end of a sopping wet ponytail (ran the ends under water and patted dry with a towel with no combing)
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/soppingwetspiral1.jpg
even sopping wet the hair wants to form a single spiral.. not individual spirals just one big one..

6 minutes later
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/soppingwetspiral2.jpg
its getting more spirally
a while later..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/dampspiral1.jpg
the weight of the hair is pulling it
and still with no brushing/combing a finally dry spiral
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/dryspiralpony.jpg
look how huge the single spiral is compared to my hands.. and ive got fairly big hands for a girl.
i re-wet the hair a bit and bunched the damp spiral up to show the diameter..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/floppedwetspiral.jpg
and now one of my best pictures (an old one though from when i was hip length) of what the single spiral turns into after i comb it out..
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/hairaugust2009.jpg
as you can see the top is mostly straight and the bottom is the stretched out spirals..
and a more recent pic with the spiral weighted down by oil
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/squiggyflop/july3rdhairprogress.jpg
even with the oil the ends still try to spiral

ok so i cant be the only one right?
someone come along quick and show me a pic of hair like mine..

i cant be alone.. ive never seen a head like mine on here though.. it cant be a totally unique thing.. someone else somewhere has to have it..

if you do have hair like this:
how do you handle the spirals in updos?
how do you deal with the ends frizzing up?
how big are your spirals? mine are like 3 inches across

ETA: can anyone figure out what hairtype this makes me? i really only have one curl.. its just that the one curl takes all of my hair.. and the top is always pulled straight from the weight of the hair.. so i dont know..

ETA again: yes thats all of my hair and yes i have that much taper..

Capybara
July 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM
To tell the truth, I really like your spiral! Sorry I can't relate (although the ends of my hair will spiral in a similar way if I put it into a tight cinnabun while damp), but I think it's awesomely pretty! :)

missfortune9335
July 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
oh I *love* your spiral :D we all want what we don't have eh?

spidermom
July 14th, 2010, 07:39 PM
What's the problem SF; that's absolutely gorgeous! Sometimes my hair will do something like that, but I really can't count on anything. My hair does what it wants.

kwaniesiam
July 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I think it's pretty. Can you comb out the spiral with a wide toothed comb so it separates in to smaller curls? Try braiding your hair further down so the tassel is shorter and won't spiral up as much if you don't like it, or maybe smooth some aloe gel over it and comb it out.

I think you're maybe more of a 2c if you have hair that completely spirals instead of just forming a wave. There are a lot of 2c's I've seen that have mostly straight hair in the length and then wurly ends like yours.

princessp
July 14th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Wow, I love your spirals too!

squiggyflop
July 14th, 2010, 08:08 PM
thanks everyone who said they like my big spiral! i really dont like it myself though.. its big and loose and it eats up length

What's the problem SF; that's absolutely gorgeous! Sometimes my hair will do something like that, but I really can't count on anything. My hair does what it wants.
well at least your hair is sort of like mine.. mine does it really consistantly.. the problem is that its one big curl.. i could deal with multiple tighter curls.. but this monster has a 3-4 inch diameter..

I think it's pretty. Can you comb out the spiral with a wide toothed comb so it separates in to smaller curls? Try braiding your hair further down so the tassel is shorter and won't spiral up as much if you don't like it, or maybe smooth some aloe gel over it and comb it out.

I think you're maybe more of a 2c if you have hair that completely spirals instead of just forming a wave. There are a lot of 2c's I've seen that have mostly straight hair in the length and then wurly ends like yours.
when i comb out the spiral with a wide tooth comb it will sometimes seperate into frizzy waves.. unless i have it in a ponytail.. then 5 minutes later it will have re-formed the giant spiral..

i would love to braid further but it tends to give me more breakage.. and even if i braid it really close to the end the end will flip sideways.. oh and aloe gel gives me horrible tangles.. and if i use regular gel it just kind of cements the spiral..

but i dont look anything like the 2c's in the visual hairtyping guide.. they all seem to have a tighter pattern.. mine is one 3-4 inch diameter curl.. just one.. (unless you count my cowlicks)

little_acorn
July 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
My hair has a similar look when wet - though I think mine are smaller than yous. But since I brush it I loose my spirals. I've never tried to leave them in as such...may be I should as yours are gorgeous!

ravenreed
July 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM
When my hair is drying I often twist it into a sausage curl at the ends and let it dry that way so that I can have spirals like yours on the ends of my hair. I think your ends are charming.

Kristin
July 14th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Oh, it's so pretty! I don't have any advice, though. Sorry!

SimplyViki
July 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Well, clearly I should have said something when I was admiring the spiral ends in your siggy pic today. Better late than never, though, right? :D I think they're lovely! I actually love that a twisted bun will sometimes artificially produce a similar effect, and try to preserve the resulting spirals in my hair as long as possible (which isn't long, unfortunately).

LaurenH
July 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I think your spirals are gorgeous!! :)

HairColoredHair
July 14th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Soooo pretty! I love that look, curls on the ends, and straighter top.

Maybe you shouldn't comb them out, I think they're lovely!

You seem to have a different color on the ends too. Maybe different texture due to old dye/damage? Or curls you grew out of?

renarok
July 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I think your hair is perfect the way it is. If only I had your problem, mine is the opposite. I have tons of curls around my face and the waves get less and less with the length.

Pierre
July 14th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Mine does that, but tighter. My spiral ends are 10-20 mm diameter. I usually wear my hair in two bunlets with the ends loose so that I can admire them, stroke my cheeks with them, feel them, and squish them a bit. Sometimes i have one spiral on the left and three or so on the right.

manderly
July 14th, 2010, 08:46 PM
LOL, I can't believe you don't like this!!! :D It's gorgeous, and whenever I braid or straighten my hair, I make sure my ends spiral as yours does. Are you sure you don't have more curl than you think??

Also, HOLY HELL girl, your hair has gotten SO LONG!!!! Beautiful!

VintageBrooklyn
July 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry I can't help you with your spirals, I just had to chime in and say that I too, LOVE THEM! I wish my hair did that at the ends, it looks lovely! :)

wantonlockwant
July 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
ohhhh! so pretty

Peter
July 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM
My hair looks almost exactly like yours. Straight at the top, spirals on the bottom. When it's wet, I'll get a tangly mess with all kinds of hair types. Some strands are pretty straight but others have very defined waves, almost spiral curls. When I braid my hair, the tassel looks like the end of a big spiral (i.e. the exact same as yours).

how do you handle the spirals in updos?
I don't really do updos, I just do braids. So I can't help with this one.

how do you deal with the ends frizzing up?
A very small amount of olive oil helps keep waves looking nice. I think your hair is the same way... your picture with the purple shirt has sleek spirals at the ends, as opposed to the hip-length picture.

how big are your spirals? mine are like 3 inches across
I would guess that the spirals are about 1 inch in diameter.

It sounds like you're unhappy with the curls because they get frizzy, unlike the straight hair on top. I don't like them either. Most of my curls straighten out if I comb them, but they'll be frizzy. To solve that, I put my hair in a segmented ponytail when it's semi-dry (a few elastic bands all the way down the length). This keeps my hair mostly straight. It especially helps with the ends, since those are the most wavy/curly. I can't do anything about the last couple of inches, they always end up looking like the end of a spiral.

Sorry this was so long, hope it helps!

ETA: Gimme a few minutes, I'll take a picture of my braid tassel.

teela1978
July 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
My ponytails tend to do that, turn into one big twisty thing. I think its more of a result from wearing buns for a couple of days prior though, sorta trains it into a big twist.

RachelRain
July 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
I have those, but only when it's in a braid or a ponytail... and I dunno about ponys because I usually only notice them with much shorter hair. (if this pic posts... sorry about the sucky quality, because my webcam blows goats. if it doesn't, well, I'm doing something wrong then.)

http://www.facebook.com/violetangelx#!/photo.php?pid=5208451&id=524340848

ETA: yep, doing something wrong. hold on.

ETA2: giving up. I stuffed it in an album instead.

Athena's Owl
July 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM
try letting it dry in that spiral and then not wrecking the pattern by combing it into frizz? run your fingers through it once, give it a little shake, and let it be what it is.

squiggyflop
July 14th, 2010, 09:29 PM
My hair has a similar look when wet - though I think mine are smaller than yous. But since I brush it I loose my spirals. I've never tried to leave them in as such...may be I should as yours are gorgeous!
i think everyone has smaller spirals than me.. ive never seen anyone else with a huge single spiral before..

When my hair is drying I often twist it into a sausage curl at the ends and let it dry that way so that I can have spirals like yours on the ends of my hair. I think your ends are charming.
huh i never really thought others would try to get hair like mine.. thanks

Oh, it's so pretty! I don't have any advice, though. Sorry!
thanks

Well, clearly I should have said something when I was admiring the spiral ends in your siggy pic today. Better late than never, though, right? :D I think they're lovely! I actually love that a twisted bun will sometimes artificially produce a similar effect, and try to preserve the resulting spirals in my hair as long as possible (which isn't long, unfortunately).
well thanks.. here i was thinking that the spirals in my siggy werent as noticeable because of the oil.. :shrug:

I think your spirals are gorgeous!! :)
thanks

Soooo pretty! I love that look, curls on the ends, and straighter top.

Maybe you shouldn't comb them out, I think they're lovely!

You seem to have a different color on the ends too. Maybe different texture due to old dye/damage? Or curls you grew out of?
if it was a "they" i might be ok.. but its an it.. one singular curl.. one..
all my dye damage is already gone due to me chopping off 21 inches.. although you can see the areas where i changed my henna mixtures.. and im sure the ends got a tiny bit lighter from the sun..
i actually ran an experiment a while back.. if i cut off the curly area of the shed hairs and wet them they curl up higher.. so its the length of the hair weighting it down i think..

i have no idea what you mean by curls i grew out of.. as ive said my hair has been trimmed 21 inches in the past 3 years.. and i started at shoulder.. i dont remember ever having curly hair when it was short (it just kind of flipped and poofed up when it dried naturally)

I think your hair is perfect the way it is. If only I had your problem, mine is the opposite. I have tons of curls around my face and the waves get less and less with the length.
huh.. i wonder why it curls up closer to your face.. interesting

Mine does that, but tighter. My spiral ends are 10-20 mm diameter. I usually wear my hair in two bunlets with the ends loose so that I can admire them, stroke my cheeks with them, feel them, and squish them a bit. Sometimes i have one spiral on the left and three or so on the right.
oh that sounds lovely.. ill trade you your 3 little ones for my monster 3-4 inch one one..

LOL, I can't believe you don't like this!!! :D It's gorgeous, and whenever I braid or straighten my hair, I make sure my ends spiral as yours does. Are you sure you don't have more curl than you think??

Also, HOLY HELL girl, your hair has gotten SO LONG!!!! Beautiful!
im not sure if i have more curl.. none of the things curlygirls do to their hair works for me.. i think i just have such a BIG curl pattern that it just gets wimpy and stretches straight easily.. for some reason the curl doesnt hold well except at the ends (they have less weight on them than the top).. i really have no idea.. ive never met anyone who had such a big curl pattern that all of the hair forms one massive curl..

Sorry I can't help you with your spirals, I just had to chime in and say that I too, LOVE THEM! I wish my hair did that at the ends, it looks lovely! :)
thanks

ohhhh! so pretty
thanks

peter..
yeah i think ill be oiling a bit more nowadays.. it seems to help the ends not fluff up

Athena's Owl um i have to detangle it.. and if i wear it down or in a pony i detangle at least 4 times a day or it will dread itself

Peter
July 14th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Okay, I found an old picture instead (Feb. 2010). Here's what my braid tassel looks like when I try to keep my ends straight. I had washed my hair that day, so it's fuzzier than normal. It's smoother and way less frizzy than the spirally ends I normally have, so I do it almost all the time.

(click for larger version)
http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/photobucketaccount2006/th_1-3.jpg (http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac304/photobucketaccount2006/1-3.jpg)

Jezerellica
July 14th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Your spiral and separated spirals are so beautiful! I have no ideas, just admiring!

Charlotte:)
July 14th, 2010, 11:22 PM
What? Stupid?? Your hair is beautiful!

IcarusBride
July 14th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I have the feeling my hair is going to end up a lot like yours... I've always had 1A hair, but recently I've noticed that just the ends of my hair are starting to curl... I'm only at almost-waist, so oiling and combing while it's damp usually takes out the curl. I wonder if the curl has developed as a result my hair being coiled in some sort updo 50-75% of the time (whenever I'm awake). Actually, I've always secretly wanted long hair that's strait except for a few spiral curls at the ends. It looks lovely!

kitten1986
July 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I have no advice or anything for you except to join the others in saying that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your spiral!!! Its completely adorable and I hope my hair does this when it gets longer hahahaha

UltraBella
July 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I am no help here, just incredibly jealous of your spiral :)

Debra83
July 15th, 2010, 12:14 AM
I bet, also, that if you didn't comb it, but finger-combed, it wouldn't be as frizzy.

kristymarie87
July 15th, 2010, 02:58 AM

Whats a sausage curl?? And lovely spiral! I would run my fingers through to separate it a bit!

dropinthebucket
July 15th, 2010, 04:46 AM
mine does that - i think i'm a 1c/2a - but it's nowhere near as soooooo beautiful as yours because 1) it's too short still - awesome length and hemline you've got, really!! and 2) i have a part issue - for some reason, my hair insists on parting halfway down the back of my head so i look like i have a balding patch - it's just a weird growth pattern - but it means i get one half of the spiral on one side, and the other half on the other, and the only thing i can do is pull my hair forward so i've got like a half c on the left and a half c on the right - hmn, words don't really describe! :) anyway, this part has been the bane of my hair existence - i cannot wear my hair down my back like so many other people, so my spiral just looks like a really weird cowlick-y think at the front. :(

bunnii
July 15th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I was going to post this exact same thing!!

I'm a 1a, well, I always have been until about a year ago, i'm just past waist and ticking hip. for the last 5 inches or so I get 2 complete spirals. Which is all very well and good, but the top of my hair gets super frizz if I don't brush but the ends get super frizz if I do! The spiral separates and repels itself! :justy:

I can't figure out how to stop the frizz at all, so I mostly wear it up or braided but I love (well I used to) wearing it down. OH! and i'm still growing out the last of my layers so it makes it look thinner than it is. Sometimes leaving in conditioner works, mostly it doesn't though. I'm going to buy some veggie friendly glycerin to smooth the ends, I hope it works and i'll post an update :)

GRU
July 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
My hair will do that if I hold it in a ponytail and get it sopping wet.

If you want individual spirals, I recommend some manual clumping. Work your leave-in conditioner through your fairly wet hair (squeeze water out with hands, but nothing more than that -- no towel or air-drying first). Figure out how many spirals you want, and section your hair accordingly.

Then comb the first section, while quite damp and full of conditioner, so that it's completely detangled.

On the last pass, use your free hand to press the individual tresses that come out of your comb into one big combined tress. It's hard to explain but exceedingly simple; basically it's like grabbing it like you're going to make a ponytail or start twisting for an updo, then you just drag the hand the hand all the way down to the tips. I actually set my fingers on the back side of the comb as it goes down, so that I'm grabbing the little tresses IMMEDIATELY after they come out the back side of the comb.

Repeat this procedure for each section of hair.

Hopefully by separating them AND aligning them in this way, they'll stay separated from each other as they dry.

If you want to really encourage the curl, you could pincurl them as they dried, too.

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Your ends are gorgeous! Could you do updos with the spiral ends cascading out, to show them off? Perhaps a pulled-through nautilus bun, or an adapted-for-longer-hair version of the peacock twist? (A log roll twist?) :)

Merewen
July 15th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Like GRU said - treat the ends like curly hair and it might help the spiral behave. I love your spiral! My braid ends look like that a lot of times, and I think it's very pretty.

LILBERT
July 15th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I just wanted to say i think its beautiful! would LOVE for my hair to do that :) Im sorry its bothering you so much though.

rosieex3
July 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think your spirals are SO pretty! I would love it if my hair did that. :)

white line
July 15th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I also have no advice, but want to say that I love your curl.

Fog
July 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM
My hair used to do that in high school when I had waist-length hair. Sadly, it's turned into mild waves now that my hair is much shorter, and I really miss the curliques.

I got complimented about the end curls all the time, but one of my friends overheard some others fussing over my hair and told them to shut up, it was just damage and meant I should get a haircut. That freaked me out a little bit, but I knew nothing about hair at that point and I'm sure you'd be able to tell if your hair was damaged to that extent.

Personally, I'm hoping they'll be back when/if my hair reaches mid-back again.

mglmdvd
July 15th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I really like your hair, too - I wouldn't change it, just separate it out to form separate curls. And as for eating up length, to me it's an advantage to be able to have more length without it hanging so far down.

DARKMARTIAN
July 15th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I personally really like it myself......

My hair does the same thing and ive always thought of it as a sort of little bonus that I dont have to really do much of anything to achieve.

Spirals rock.......

eezepeeze
July 15th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I really think your hair is beautiful. It reminds me of princess hair. The only thing I can think of to stop the spiral is to put the ends on REALLY big velcro rollers to stretch out the curl. You may get some damage from that, though. But, that is how I straighten my curly hair. You have to do it while it's damp to straighten it.

But, really, I would love to have hair the texture of yours. It's gorgeous!

shawty
July 15th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I've been thinking of getting an LHC account for a while and finally did when I saw your post. Because I wanted to tell you that I know someone with the spiral! She is an acquaintance, she used to be a good friend but I have hardly spoken since I moved away two years ago. Her name is Jade and she is half caucasian, half Asian. She is beautiful and her hair is long (from memory I'd estimate waist / hiplength the last time I saw her). I always admired her spiral, thinking it was distinctive. On her it looked kind of exotic and refined at the same time. She reinforced it as it dried and wore it slung over one shoulder to make it really apparent.

you are definitely not alone. =)

squiggyflop
July 15th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Okay, I found an old picture instead (Feb. 2010). Here's what my braid tassel looks like when I try to keep my ends straight. I had washed my hair that day, so it's fuzzier than normal. It's smoother and way less frizzy than the spirally ends I normally have, so I do it almost all the time.

oh i see.. yes this is what my braid tassles look like if i cover the ends with a scrunchy and let them dry like that

Jezerellica, Charlotte:), kitten1986, UltraBella, kristymarie87, LILBERT, rosieex3, white line,
thanks for the replys :flowers:

I have the feeling my hair is going to end up a lot like yours... I've always had 1A hair, but recently I've noticed that just the ends of my hair are starting to curl... I'm only at almost-waist, so oiling and combing while it's damp usually takes out the curl. I wonder if the curl has developed as a result my hair being coiled in some sort updo 50-75% of the time (whenever I'm awake). Actually, I've always secretly wanted long hair that's strait except for a few spiral curls at the ends. It looks lovely!
huh well when my hair was shorted it was wildly wavy after being washed and turned into 1b on day 2.. but that was when i slept with my hair down.. now due to sleep braids/buns my hair is way wavyer on day 2..

I bet, also, that if you didn't comb it, but finger-combed, it wouldn't be as frizzy.
ah but finger combing doesnt get rid of my horrible tangles.. if my hair is down or in a ponytail (which is the only time i have the spirals visible) i have to detangle it at least 4 times a day.. if its in a ponytail the spiral reforms a bit frizzy but if its down it just spreads out and frizzes up.. also the rubbing against my butt makes it frizz too (yeah its long enough to rub against my butt when standing and my thighs when sitting)

mine does that - i think i'm a 1c/2a - but it's nowhere near as soooooo beautiful as yours because 1) it's too short still - awesome length and hemline you've got, really!! and 2) i have a part issue - for some reason, my hair insists on parting halfway down the back of my head so i look like i have a balding patch - it's just a weird growth pattern - but it means i get one half of the spiral on one side, and the other half on the other, and the only thing i can do is pull my hair forward so i've got like a half c on the left and a half c on the right - hmn, words don't really describe! :) anyway, this part has been the bane of my hair existence - i cannot wear my hair down my back like so many other people, so my spiral just looks like a really weird cowlick-y think at the front. :(
when my hair was shorter i thought i was 1c-2a.. but i have no idea now since my hair doesnt look like any of the pics in the visual hairtyping guide.. which is frustrating..

I was going to post this exact same thing!!

I'm a 1a, well, I always have been until about a year ago, i'm just past waist and ticking hip. for the last 5 inches or so I get 2 complete spirals. Which is all very well and good, but the top of my hair gets super frizz if I don't brush but the ends get super frizz if I do! The spiral separates and repels itself! :justy:

I can't figure out how to stop the frizz at all, so I mostly wear it up or braided but I love (well I used to) wearing it down. OH! and i'm still growing out the last of my layers so it makes it look thinner than it is. Sometimes leaving in conditioner works, mostly it doesn't though. I'm going to buy some veggie friendly glycerin to smooth the ends, I hope it works and i'll post an update :)
huh good to know someone else gets this.. yeah the top of my hair gets really really unhappy if i dont comb it.. and just like yours the bottom gets frizzy if i do comb it

My hair will do that if I hold it in a ponytail and get it sopping wet.
If you want individual spirals, I recommend some manual clumping. Work your leave-in conditioner through your fairly wet hair (squeeze water out with hands, but nothing more than that -- no towel or air-drying first). Figure out how many spirals you want, and section your hair accordingly.

Then comb the first section, while quite damp and full of conditioner, so that it's completely detangled.

On the last pass, use your free hand to press the individual tresses that come out of your comb into one big combined tress. It's hard to explain but exceedingly simple; basically it's like grabbing it like you're going to make a ponytail or start twisting for an updo, then you just drag the hand the hand all the way down to the tips. I actually set my fingers on the back side of the comb as it goes down, so that I'm grabbing the little tresses IMMEDIATELY after they come out the back side of the comb.

Repeat this procedure for each section of hair.

Hopefully by separating them AND aligning them in this way, they'll stay separated from each other as they dry.

If you want to really encourage the curl, you could pincurl them as they dried, too.
its a bit confusing but i think i get what you are trying to say.. but how would one detangle mid day.. would i have to re-wet the hair? because it will dread itself if i dont detangle again during the day..

Your ends are gorgeous! Could you do updos with the spiral ends cascading out, to show them off? Perhaps a pulled-through nautilus bun, or an adapted-for-longer-hair version of the peacock twist? (A log roll twist?) :) i wish i could do updos with the spiral hanging out but the thing is so big it just looks like flippy ends when i let some of it out.. the stupid thing has a 3 inch diameter..

My hair used to do that in high school when I had waist-length hair. Sadly, it's turned into mild waves now that my hair is much shorter, and I really miss the curliques.
I got complimented about the end curls all the time, but one of my friends overheard some others fussing over my hair and told them to shut up, it was just damage and meant I should get a haircut. That freaked me out a little bit, but I knew nothing about hair at that point and I'm sure you'd be able to tell if your hair was damaged to that extent.
Personally, I'm hoping they'll be back when/if my hair reaches mid-back again.
if they were there before they might be there again.. but i would like to point out that my hair was very straight until junior year when i suddenly became wavy and f-m instead of just F.. i think it was a puberty thing..

Anniekins
July 15th, 2010, 12:15 PM
My hair does the exact same thing! The longer it gets the longer the spiral. It doesn't bother me though. I especially like it when I braid and get the curl in the tassel. Its beautiful, embrace it :)

Anne

GRU
July 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM
its a bit confusing but i think i get what you are trying to say.. but how would one detangle mid day.. would i have to re-wet the hair? because it will dread itself if i dont detangle again during the day.

Well, being a full-on curly, I don't do much of anything to my hair during the day (other than curse at it and throw it out of my way when it falls where it's not wanted!).

But I would imagine that if you needed to brush or comb it after it has dried, you could just do each section individually -- like how you "set" them in the first place? That would allow each strand to keep "in touch" with its fellow strands in that section, without them jumping ship over into a different section.

heynormy
July 15th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I must admit..I'm a fan of the spiral too!! Sorry, that was no help!! :)

lapushka
July 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
A slight trim might help. Evening out the ends might make it want to hang differently at the very bottom. I am not sure of this, though! It's something I'd try, but I'd not cut too much off.

Anyway, I am not going to be of much help either, because that spiral is lovely! What people wouldn't give to have a little bounce and spring in their hair!

bunnii
July 15th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I don't know about trimming, I tried taking 3 or 4 inches off and the spiral just moved up lol.

Still it's nice having hair that argues with itself :D

hairg33k
July 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Just wanted to say, that looks gorgeous :)

SeaShell
July 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I think the ends of your hair are just gorgeous! Actually I had a friend a long time ago with the same type of spiral ends and I was always jealous of them!! Just consider yourself lucky I guess...most people spend hours curling the ends of their hair to get this look :)

Eniratak
July 15th, 2010, 04:22 PM
My hair is exactly like that.
XD. I'm never sure how I should type it because my hair doesn't look like 2b or 2c on the guide, but I have plenty of spirals at the ends of my hair.

To be honest, the spirals don't usually affect my updos. As for how I deal with them, I don't really do anything special. I can't brush my hair without it looking like a lion mane.

Anyway, your hair is gorgeous!

LadyJennifer
July 15th, 2010, 05:02 PM
My hair would do that too when it was longer and if I did not separate into sections like GRU said. It would be one huge spiral.

Ravenwaves 88
July 15th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Like I've said somewhere else.....love the spiral. I don't know if I can post pics of other ppl's hair but when I went to Universal studios in Florida I snapped a pic of a woman with a TBL single spiral low pony. I thought this was completely amazing!!! I thought to myself how she doesn't have to braid to keep her hair all in one place.

Can anyone let me know if I can post that pic? You guys just have to see this!!! It's only of her back....no face at all.

squiggyflop
July 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM
thanks for all the replies everyone :flowers: and the compliments.. *squiggy's confidence goes up 10 points*

Can anyone let me know if I can post that pic? You guys just have to see this!!! It's only of her back....no face at all.
no its really not ok to post pictures of peoples hair.. not unless you asked the person permission to take the shot i think or if its a model/celebrity.. and you are not the first one to ask.. i wouldn't want random strangers posting pics online of my hair that they sneakily took when my back was turned..;)..
the mods didnt seem to take kindly the last time i saw someone post a pic like this.. i think they may have deleted the pic from the thread

KittyLost
July 16th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Lovely spirals!

My hair does this, there is a picture in my Pre LHC Album on my profile, however I have never had my hair longer than BSL so the straightness of the top is not really noticible, I covered it with a hat which would be impossible for you! I used to tie it back in a ponytail and encourage it to be one big spiral, I think its cool :)

As my hair grows and eventually gets to tailbone I'll let you know if it still does the same :)

heidihug
July 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM
ETA again: yes thats all of my hair and yes i have that much taper..
squiggyflop, you have gorgeous hair (the spiral included) and almost NO taper. Truly. Speaking as one who knows taper.

squiggyflop
July 21st, 2010, 06:35 PM
squiggyflop, you have gorgeous hair (the spiral included) and almost NO taper. Truly. Speaking as one who knows taper.
thanks but you havent seen my braids lately.. there is actually significant taper but i think its moving downward slowly..i think most of the taper is from the few months when i had that shedding problem..

bunnii
July 22nd, 2010, 03:50 AM
squiggyflop does your taper make the spiral repel itself? mine does :(

Also I got some aleo gel and it seems to be working I have tested it for a whole day :D but it seems to have tamed the frizz a bit.

squiggyflop
July 22nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
squiggyflop does your taper make the spiral repel itself? mine does :(

Also I got some aleo gel and it seems to be working I have tested it for a whole day :D but it seems to have tamed the frizz a bit.
sort of i guess.. once its combed out (unless its in a pony) it definitely repells.. but ive found oil tames it a bit.. i cant use aloe because my hair mattes itself when i use it

Iylivarae
July 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
I also have that spiral, and it annoys me a lot, but I haven't found any way to prevent it from forming (except for possibly cutting the ends).

KellyC
August 27th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I think your spirals a pretty why would you want to change them, my hair is similar, but when I sleep on it the frizziness goes down, the next day I comb it NOT brush. Brushing makes it look like a bush haha.

Arianwen
August 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
To tell the truth, I really like your spiral! Sorry I can't relate (although the ends of my hair will spiral in a similar way if I put it into a tight cinnabun while damp), but I think it's awesomely pretty! :)

I like too! I think it's pretty!

kitschy
August 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Shrinkage? Trade ya!

I think your hair is sooooo pretty!

lpsqt60
August 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
My hair is the same as yours Squiggyflop and when I brush my spirals out I have major frizz or it tends to go into spirals that look stringy. For work since I have to look professional I rely on gel and oiling my hair to help tame it down, but honestly, I don't know what to tell you I just live with it.
I do love your hair though, red is so pretty:blossom:

vamq
August 27th, 2010, 03:53 PM
My hair does this spiral-like thingy too, but not every day. Too bad, I like it a lot (those days are one of the very few days I wear my hair down)
I seperate the big spiral by combing with a very wide toothed comb.

I get this when I do so, which looks a lot like the picture of your hip length hair:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2611&pictureid=79216

I also considder it as a bonus for wearing a braid; I prefer having a fluffy tassel over the days it's just stick straight

swivelhop
August 27th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I have the same huge spirals about 3 inch diameter all over despite drying and sleeping with hair down. Mine go away (mostly) if I bun it for a while the 'other way round' which every direction is the awkward way for you.

Antipodienne
August 27th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I have been trying to achieve your spiral ends my ENTIRE life. Every time I see your siggy on the boards I stop and admire, then experience waves of bitter envy...

christine1989
August 27th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Your spirals look great- like something you would need a curling iron to achieve! Mine are a little less curled but somewhat similar with plenty of frizz. A drop of castor or coconut oil makes them much better though.

lastnite
August 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM
nothing to add... just to say I like your spiral too... lol sorry!

MandyBeth
August 27th, 2010, 07:43 PM
My hair doesn't single spiral yet, I get a couple big "clumps" of spiraly goodness. If I just shake it out, it'll split into lots of baby spirals, then rejoin the neighbors until it's a clump. However, as it dries, the curl relaxes out, so got me other than that. However, I'm showing my ends your ends so they get an idea of what I'd like them to do :)