PDA

View Full Version : Hair fail! (Venting.. please share yours!)

whoanellie
July 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
UGH.

So yesterday I discovered a small chunk --yes, chunk-- of hair that mysteriously broke off at chin-length. OMG! My heart sank. I almost wanted to throw up. :( I am no stranger to shorter hair and frizzies, especially by the sides of my head where I swear it refuses to grow longer than a few inches, but I'm positive this is new. I am usually quite careful with updos and can barely do anything that fancy anyway, so I can only think that it was over the weekend when I did two small braided buns held with sticks. I could hear a bit of snapping, but I didn't think it was anything like THIS.

So, in the hopes that my discovery will at least give someone else a good laugh, I share my hair fail. (Btw I'm not posing, but holding back all the little curly frizzies at the base of my neck so you can see it better.)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5769&pictureid=76915

At least the thing is in one of my my curliest areas and is long enough to tuck behind my ear, so it's a little tendril. I can pretend it's on purpose, right? :rolleyes: I know it's not the biggest deal in the world but man oh man. I admit I'm still a bit upset.

Anyone want to share a hair fail and make me feel better? :p

Elinda
July 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Cutting off my APL hair down to 2'' because I couldn't stand the awkward length it was at while I was sick with the flu. In hindsight, I should have just let it grow rather than having to start over.

Apart from that, having to cut a brush/lid combination from the top of a rubber cement jar out of my hair with an exacto knife because I was in a rush. Luckily I only lost an inch or so and it was stuck at the end.

curlytm
July 14th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I have one for you! After trying to grow out my layers (or rather, layer), I discovered that I accidentally gave myself "face framing layers" with a vigorous S&D session. I'm pretty sure that it's because the hair around my face is easiest to grab and examine, so it gets the most...love...from my scissors. I'm glad the splits are gone, but it ended up a total hair fail

chipzahoy
July 14th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I can't see a pic but I'm sure sorry about what happened! I don't blame you for being upset at all. :(

teela1978
July 14th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Are you sure those aren't just little baby hairs? I have quite a few chin-length hairs near my temple and behind my ear.

VintageBrooklyn
July 14th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your breakage, resulting in that shortie behind your ear. But I must admit I laughed HARD at the 'fail' picture, ha ha ha ha! That was brilliant! :)

Tiina
July 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
It actually looks kinda cute like that. :)

I had a hairfail too today. In the afternoon I happened to glance at my braid in the mirror and I saw something being a little... off. Not just a little off like a lump or a loopie but OMG SOMEONE HAS ATTACKED ME WITH SCISSORS! In one of the strands, there was a hole with lots of sticky up bits right above and under it. Like a rope that has been cut into.

I panicked for a good few hours before I took up the courage to touch my braid. Turned out it was only a bit of hair I hadn't entirely pulled through the elastic that had conveniently placed itself under a layered bit. Fortunately no damage done but it was such a big piece I was afraid I would've had to cut a good 4 inches off my length to get it more-or-less even again. :eek:

irisheyes
July 14th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I had something like your situation happen to me. One day I was setting my hair in velcro rollers and discovered a section of broken off hair about 4 inches long and fat as my finger! It was on top of my head! I had chosen to ignore what those rollers and other damaging practices were doing to my hair, but that was my wake up call.

Balenciaga
July 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I've got medium brown hair with a reddish tone that's just above waist length. I'm very happy with it, except that I've got twin ginger streaks. Like Sweeney Todd has, but ginger, and further back. This hair is incredibly fragile and breaks like you wouldn't believe.:mad:

Petite Simone
July 14th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Well it wasn't my hair fail, it was my best friend's. She was trying to clean up her 'do. It was a j-rock fashion mullet (don't let the word mullet throw you off it was super cute) and she messed up. She went to her sister, a cosmotologist (sp?) and asked for help but SHE messed up. They ended up shaving her head and the poor girl cried the whole time. The most embarrassing part for her was that she was a recently out lesbian and people just kept looking at her with that nasty look that clearly said "wow, way to fit a stereotype" Her feelings were so hurt, poor thing, but she learned some GREAT makeup tricks to compensate.

rosek
July 14th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Second to last time I got my hair cut, the girl was very impatient. I have long, thick hair that tangles when wet. So really, it should be cut dry. Anyway, I asked for a little layering at the front, to take the bluntness out of the ends. She did one side great, but the other was like a blunt step, and much larger than the other one.
Biggest hair fail! I got the hacked side trimmed to be more of a gradient, but the layered side is still bigger on one side than the other.

jasper
July 14th, 2010, 09:07 PM
This one was so long ago that none of the hairs involved are still part of my life, but once I was trying to cut a rubber band out from some kind of a half up snarl situation and I cut the hair instead. I can still remember the sinking OMG type feeling and the compulsion to invent explanation for the missing chunk of hair rather than admit the cause.

italianamama
July 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
My biggest hair fail: asking for a quarter inch trim (literally, holding up my fingers saying "LITERALLY, only a QUARTER INCH) then spacing out for the next five minutes. Two inches, slight layers, and a U shaped hemline, NONE of which I wanted. Dangit. I'm finding a new salon and asking for a hand mirror to WATCH the entire trim next time. I'd self trim, but that's asking for trouble.

PineappleJello
July 14th, 2010, 10:03 PM
At least your ends would have felt good after a two inch trim, right italianamama? :)

Aleria
July 14th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Went to the salon today. I'm fairly happy with my cut, but the lady was so mean to my hair. My scalp still feels a little sore and my appointment was almost 12 hours ago! She kept pulling and twisting and stuff. :/
At least it looks and feels nice though. My ends were super crunchy and dry.

UltraBella
July 15th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Wow, this is a scary thread to read right before a hair appointment, lol !
* please don't let me have a hair fail, please please please *

greeneyedauburn
July 15th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Last summer I went to go get sideswept bangs and the woman took them WAY too far back. I had a huge chunk of hair missing and had to get layers put in to try and blend them in. I was (and still am slightly) upset.

Cupofmilk
July 15th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I have one at the back of my head underneath. Please don't laugh! But when I was pregnant I was very very sick. I had to stay downstairs in a bed beacuse I couldn't walk, I couldn't get out of bed unaided and I had no feeling down the right handside of my body. I happen to be right handed. So brushing my hair was hard work. It was TB-classic length. I use to brush it once a day and when you can't stand up that's hard. The last 6 inches were damaged. One day I found a knot at the nape of my neck.... not nay old know but a cigarette pack (20) sized knot and no I don't smoke. Anyway After trying to tease it out, I realised this was one of my curly sections and it was a matted mess. So I got the scissors out and cut it out! This was 9 months ago and I now have some short strands which poke out under my braids! They look ridiculous!

Roseate
July 15th, 2010, 02:24 AM
I had the same hair fail as Cupofmilk!

I wasn't sick at the time though, I was a little kid. I had thick coarse hair and only one of those cheap plastic brushes. I brushed my hair every day but the bristles didn't reach all the way to my underlayer...I ended up with a matt at my nape the size of my palm! My mom had to cut it out, and I got a short haircut soon after that.

As an adult my biggest hair fail was bleach. Trying to go platinum at home? BAD plan. And then I had to get my picture taken for my driver's license the next day, looking like a dandelion!

kristymarie87
July 15th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Hair fail > Noticing my layers seem to be more damaged than i first thought, but trying to grown them out.....fail!! They need a trim :(

trillcat
July 15th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I think I was about 18 yrs old or so. Beautiful long still natural blonde hair.
Long almost waist, straight as a ruler, blunt hem, sleek shiny, fab. The envy of all. It was really pretty hair. So young, so stupid. (Me, not suggesting young equals stupid)
I wanted a perm. It was the "do" at the time. (Arrrrrrg, damn you and curses to you Eighties!)
Killed my hair dead.
I cried as did my Mom who tried to help, but watched helpless as my hair fell out in chunks into the sink attempting to get conditioner and a comb through it. Had to cut 12 inches off the melted mess of my hair.
Payed $100 for that bit of disaster. It was supposed to be a spiral perm.

Joliebaby
July 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Shaving off all my hair and then NOT letting it grow back all virgin!

Joliebaby
July 19th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Long almost waist, straight as a ruler, blunt hem, sleek shiny, fab. The envy of all. It was really pretty hair. So young, so stupid. (Me, not suggesting young equals stupid)
I wanted a perm. It was the "do" at the time. (Arrrrrrg, damn you and curses to you Eighties!)
Killed my hair dead.
I cried as did my Mom who tried to help, but watched helpless as my hair fell out in chunks into the sink attempting to get conditioner and a comb through it. Had to cut 12 inches off the melted mess of my hair.

Oooh... How awful :( My heart wrenched a bit as I read this!
You know as a child I had TB length light blonde thick hair that everyone adored, my mom took good care of it... and then I got into my little head a persistent idea that I wanted a "bob" . Mom cried but let me have my way. I didn't get a bob, I got a layered bowl cut. Started growing it out immediately but never got that hair back...

RancheroTheBee
July 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I cut about 6-7 inches off in the last couple of months because of pure frustration. The problems I was having with frizz could have been fixed with dusting and oiling, but I wasn't active at LHC at the time and instead acted rashly. I quite regret it, especially when I remember how close to APL I was.

:( Sigh.

Kyla
July 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
The worst thing i ever did to my hair was as a child I accidentally stuck a whole load of silly putty into my thick bangs. My father spent hours combing it out with peanut butter, oils, and other household goods while I sat in the bathtub crying. I didn't end up losing much hair, and thankfully only came away with a killer headache.

Juli414
July 19th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Let's just say that while cuticle scissors and fingernail clippers might be fine for one or two hairs, do NOT use them to trim sections at a time.

italianamama
July 25th, 2010, 10:32 AM
At least your ends would have felt good after a two inch trim, right italianamama? :)

My ends are the BANE of my existance!!! Dry, dry, and drier, even after a trim.:justy:

bunzfan
July 25th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My biggest hair fail: asking for a quarter inch trim (literally, holding up my fingers saying "LITERALLY, only a QUARTER INCH) then spacing out for the next five minutes. Two inches, slight layers, and a U shaped hemline, NONE of which I wanted. Dangit. I'm finding a new salon and asking for a hand mirror to WATCH the entire trim next time. I'd self trim, but that's asking for trouble.

just wanted to say you have beautiful hair, mine is wavy rather than curly but looks slightly frizzy :(

Kome
July 25th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I seemed to have one of these pop up as well and I'm wondering if it's from one of my sticks. Tsk tsk. I guess I'll have to be more careful! Sorry to hear about this, but it will grow back soon! :)

italianamama
July 25th, 2010, 11:31 AM
just wanted to say you have beautiful hair, mine is wavy rather than curly but looks slightly frizzy :(

THANK YOU!!! How did you know I needed an ego boost today :D That pic was a GREAT hair day- I am also participating in the siege warfare that is combatting the frizzies

akrasia
July 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Aw, poor thing!

My worst hair nightmare was a bad bad bad perm in 1989. Way too frizzy and dry, but the real damage was the COLOR. My hair went from a nice brown to a color like--I don't know, industrial waste green. A color that doesn't occur in nature. It looked really really bad, for years.

Jezerellica
July 25th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Ooooooh, this fail story breaks my heart. Thank heaven hair WILL grow back.

Killed my hair dead.

Jezerellica
July 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Here will be a fail story that is my total responsibility. Confession is good for the soul...

My best friend, I was the maid of honor at her wedding...asked me to perm her hair. I am not a hairdresser and did my Moms and she was happy, so I said ok.

She ended up looking like Ronald McDonald. I kid you not. The texture and color was a nightmare. She cried. Even the salon where she went could not figure out what I had done to make such a disaster. She was such a good friend, I loved her. I felt so horrrible-still do and begged forgiveness. It has never been the same between us. :wail:

"Patty, please be my friend again. I didn't mean it. It was a huge mistake and I have not touched a friends hair since." It was about 21 years ago.

Lunarennui
July 25th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Well, the first bad incident was when I was 18 and for some reason I decided that I didn't like the long bits I had in the front at the moment. (I had a jaw-length A-line, except for pieces in the very front about 2" wide each, waist-length.) So, being brilliant, I got out my embroidery scissors and cut them off. *Not* being a hairstylist, I managed to cut them off about three inches shorter than the rest of my hair.

Second hair fail wasn't my fault--I went in for a *trim*, showed the stylist EXACTLY what I wanted, told her PRECISELY how much I wanted taken off--multiple times, demonstrating with my hands and the mirror and everything...she clipped away, then let me check--it was at least three inches shorter than I'd shown her, and uneven. I freaked out. She tried to fix it by cutting more off. Finally, with both of us in tears, her manager took over; the stylist ran to the back and cried, and I ended up with hair 3" long WET, which means a total wreck on me when dry. The 'cut' if you can even call it that was free and I hid in the apartment for weeks. My neighbor saw me the day after, dropped the things she was carrying and said 'OH MY *GAWD* WHAT *HAPPENED* TO YOU?!?!' (She really does speak like that.)

Now I live in fear of hairstylists at all...

JenniferNoel
July 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Hahaha... I had strawberry blond chin length layered and deep fried hair when I was 13. Tells ya, I've been in the hair world for a long time. I started out a chemical color geek, with said ratty hair, and progressed up to herbal hair care. Looking at the pictures from then and now, I must say I am quite proud of myself for achieving such great progress. I had my fun. But I do admit that I got daily comments regarding how unflattering my hair was when I was entering my teen years. I never went to school, but kids on the street were no less honest.
:cheese:

C_Bookworm
July 25th, 2010, 05:30 PM
I highlighted hennaed hair 4 years ago, left it on too long, and came out with lemon yellow and neon orange highlights. Instead of just putting henna over the mess, I freaked out and applied chemical haircolor. Ended up doing that 4 times within a week trying to get color to stick to the highlights.

In the end, I caused so much damage that I had to cut my hair short. It also took me 3 years before I worked up enough nerve to try highlights again. Meh.