PDA

View Full Version : Summer hair issues

jera
July 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM
What are your most challenging hair issues in the summer time?

The 2 biggest hair issues I experience in the summer are drier than dry hair from all the AC which is on everywhere I go. At home I can shut it off, but when at work, it's constantly blowing my hair into a bone dry disaster.

The second issue I've got is the high humidity frizzies. :o Okay, my hair is less frizzy than it was when I first joined LHC, because my hair is healthier, but lately it's been so humid here my natural waves transform into a frizzball as soon as I step out of the house. Ususally, I prefer to wear my hair loose but this humidity has me putting it up in frustration. Thankfully my crown hairs are smooth and don't frizz. :)

Tiina
July 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
During summertime I am extremely afraid my hair will shed and that my scalp will get burnt. I don't get those seasonal sheddings some people here say are normal during summer, I start to shed if I have been exposed to the sun too much (no matter if my scalp gets sunburnt or not). My skin is so sensitive to the sun even through clothes and sunlotions I stay indoors as much as possible.

Jenn of Pence
July 14th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I know how to deal with my hair at home (nice and dry where I live), but right now I'm spending two weeks with family in Humidity Capitol, USA (even the weatherman woeful said it would be even more humid this week than usual, eek!). I have no clue what to do with it here. :confused: So far, I have only succeeded in over-conditioning it and making it limp ;)

Medievalmaniac
July 14th, 2010, 04:18 PM
It's much harder to stretch washes out to once a week, because every time I dance or jog my hair is drenched after the workout. Don't want to WO, because of drying-out, and don't want to CO, because my hair goes limp and greasy in the heat + humidity + conditioner...so I'm hovering between 2-3 C-W-C a week until fall.

naereid
July 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM
It gets greasy faster due to sweating. Ugh.

triumphator!
July 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM
My hair makes me so hot! The back of my neck sweats and then the hair gets all limp and sweaty. Gross all around.

chipzahoy
July 14th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Sweating and sun damage! Oh, Texas. :flamed::sun:

clairenewcastle
July 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM
My hair gets even greasier due to sweating but despite the extra heat generated by wearing a scarf over my head when I'm outdoors, I always do so for I find the sun is my hair's worst enemy.

*Aoife*
July 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
There are two possible summer baddies for my hair.

My scalp getting sunburnt is the biggest problem. I burn so easily and I'm finding it hard to always cover my scalp.

The other is wearing my hair down. It looks so damn good at this length especially the day I wash it. So I've been WOing in the days between COing and wearing it down. I don't want to think of the damage I'm doing to it now :(

Tabihito
July 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
My biggest issue is the frizziness brought on by the humidity. Oh, SE Texas, how I'd love to stick you in a kiln to dry out a little...

My method of dealing with it is coconut oil. It means more washings, but it tames the worst of the frizzies on the top of my head. I'm trying to find ways other than ponytails to wear my hair up to keep it off the back of my neck, but don't have many options right now.

irisheyes
July 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
My biggest issue is sunscreen. I have to wear it everyday, it has to be a certain hypoallergenic brand, and somehow it gets into my hair. Then I have to shampoo more than I really need to.

kwaniesiam
July 14th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Sunburn on my scalp and sweating excessively causes my scalp to be a mess so I have to be thorough about brushing and washing.

eezepeeze
July 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Frizziness and chlorine cause the majority of my hair woes in the summer. I wear a lot of sock buns to combat the frizz and a lot of braids in the pool. I've been going through a lot of coconut oil lately.

Igor
July 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Sun protection! I’m paranoid of the sun bleaching my hair :(

Capybara
July 14th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Igor, me too! I already have a "demarcation line" from sun lightening my hair colour last summer, and I want it to fade, not happen all over again! :eek:

For me, a big thing is the wind. I hate the tangles it can give my hair!

jera
July 15th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I know how to deal with my hair at home (nice and dry where I live), but right now I'm spending two weeks with family in Humidity Capitol, USA (even the weatherman woeful said it would be even more humid this week than usual, eek!). I have no clue what to do with it here. :confused: So far, I have only succeeded in over-conditioning it and making it limp ;)

I'm over conditioning too at the moment. It helps a bit. Excessive humidity sucks. :(

There are two possible summer baddies for my hair.

My scalp getting sunburnt is the biggest problem. I burn so easily and I'm finding it hard to always cover my scalp. :(

Would carrying a parasol help? I've been seeing lots more women doing this lately. :confused:

Igor, me too! I already have a "demarcation line" from sun lightening my hair colour last summer, and I want it to fade, not happen all over again! :eek:

I've had those demarcation lines too. I didn't know there was any way to avoid them other than dying the entire length which I'm not going to do. :brains:

DARKMARTIAN
July 15th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Three things.

Wind

Heat

Humidity.

As ive mentioned before..Oklahoma winds can be mighty chaotic. Not only can the hair be blown all over the place but it can get inundated with dust and other air-born partcles.

The heat itself isnt so much a culprit as the sweat that it provokes. That can really grime up my hair if it gets bad enough. And as Im sure many if not all of you know......yucky hair can make you feel yucky all over.

Then there is humidity. Sometimes we can have very high levels of it for extended periods of time. And that along with the perspiration can wreak havoc on the hair and scalp. And itchy scalps are quite distracting obviously.

Loreley
July 15th, 2010, 01:36 AM
My biggest hair issue is that I can't wear it down because it's terribly hot.

LithiaBlack
July 15th, 2010, 02:51 AM
My biggest issuses:
Sweat that makes my scalp and hair icky and trying to keep my scalp and hair protected from the sun (and to avoid getting sunlotion in it since I have to wear at least spf 30 when I'm outside).

Alvrodul
July 15th, 2010, 02:58 AM
My hair gets all icky and sweaty in the heat, and tends to get oily faster. It has been particularly bad recently due to pre-thunderstorm humidity and ionization, though has been better the last two days, since we had a really bad thunderstorm a couple of days ago.
Also, it can be hard to keep that sunscreen out of the hair.:(

Linainverse
July 15th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I live in sunny Queensland. Renowned in Australia for being warm in winter, hot in spring, and stinking hot in summer. Did I mention the humidity? If it isn't hot it's probably raining - more humidity. Somewhere between 70-90% most days.

For my hair - frizz and frizz and did I say more frizz? My hair is pretty straight but that doesn't give me any justice.

Especially when I swim at the beach (we have amazing beaches, especially on stradbroke Island - google images it, you will "WOW"), my hair hates the salt water, which is funny as my skin loves it, so I suppose it's not all bad.

RachelRain
July 15th, 2010, 03:31 AM
the humidity here's been hovering between 96 and 99% for almost three weeks now... it was killing my hair until I finally decided to just wrap it up in a big bun straight out of the shower. the only bits that can get frizzy are the broken bits on the very top (I only noticed those cuz I heard snapping when my snake crawled over my head while I was watching Pumpkinhead a few hours ago) and if I take it out to brush it once a day and lightly oil it, I can stuff it right back up in the bun and stretch my washes and my conditionings. I'm happy all around so far.

But I'm up in MA, which I'm sure is a piece of cake compared to those of you stuck down southways.

And, my point was, maybe you could try something like that? A braid that gets pinned up or a bun (unless your hair is super curly - mine's not, so I don't know if this would make curly hair worse) to sort of keep your hair captive so it can't get frizzy?

Dragon
July 15th, 2010, 04:12 AM
The heat. My scalp and back of neck gets so hot. But I suffer it as dont like to wear my hair up. And the humidity makes my hair feel yuck.

FrannyG
July 15th, 2010, 04:25 AM
When it's hot here, and it does get very hot in the summer, it's usually quite humid. On the whole, that's good for the moisture in my hair, but it does make my hair look less smooth. Yes, even 1a hair can look a bit frizzy in the humidity.

On the whole though, I really don't have any summer hair issues. My hair likes the summer.

I do have to be sure to protect my hair from the sun though, with sunhats or bandanas, if I'm out for any serious length of time.

serious
July 15th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Heat + humidity = dry, frizzy, awful looking hair :(

Amelia
July 15th, 2010, 05:38 AM
The heat. It drives me crazy. I can't wear my hair down because it feels like a blanket on my back. Long live the up-dos!!! :lol:

EdG
July 15th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I find that summer is a lot better than winter. My hair takes hours to dry in the winter, but can dry in only one hour in the summer. :)
Ed

chipzahoy
July 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I find that summer is a lot better than winter. My hair takes hours to dry in the winter, but can dry in only one hour in the summer. :)
Ed

Wow! My shoulder length hair doesn't even dry that quickly in the summer. I guess location and climate are big factors in that because it's super humid here.

EdG
July 15th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Wow! My shoulder length hair doesn't even dry that quickly in the summer. I guess location and climate are big factors in that because it's super humid here.Yes. California is very dry.
Ed

Finoriel
July 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Winter (bone dry and cold) is a lot more harsh on my hair than summer. It does not get too hot here in summer and the humidity usually is moderate. The average house does not even have an AC here :p. Also I´m a hat and shadow person, so lightening or drying effects from extended sun exposure are not that noticeable on my hair. My skin complains way before my hair would have the chance to show signs of sun-damage. Also I oil and mist my ends when the weather is on the dry and sunny side for a long period of time *looks out of the window - sees thunderstorm nearing* which usually isn´t for long. We just got into the "daily afternoon thunderstorm"-phase of summer :wink:

Cinnamoon
July 15th, 2010, 11:22 AM
My hair goes really static when I comb in the summer, so I have to keep wetting down the comb constantly. And sweating is a problem, too. I'm washing three times a week, instead of two, because after fencing I have to wash - heat + mask don't mix!

Hylia
July 15th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Mine is trying not to wash my hair everyday. Since it gets humid here a lot, it is hard not to wash my hair everyday since I feel so sticky by the end of the day. But overwashing is bad, I would prefer to wash my hair only one every 3 days.

GRU
July 15th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Humidity = Frizz
Or rather, in my case, humidity = FRIZZ

My hair has "shrunk" between 4"-6" (10-15 cm) from its usual length when dry. :rolleyes:

Oh well.... at least where I live, summer is only three months out of the year! :D

ptnicole
July 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
summer...where is that? What is that? I want some!

GRU
July 15th, 2010, 02:10 PM
summer...where is that? What is that? I want some!

Move south, ptnicole! :lol: We even have these neat things called "daylight hours" and "nighttime hours" EVERY SINGLE DAY OF THE YEAR down here! ;)

Centaur
July 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Yuck, summer hair in South Louisiana. Humidity and so freakin hot - I am a sweaty scalp, frizzy haired mess.

Any recommendations for me? Besides moving, I mean. lol

GRU
July 15th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Any recommendations for me? Besides moving, I mean. lol

Sorry, moving is the only thing I can think of when you're dealing with humidity like that!

jera
July 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
the humidity here's been hovering between 96 and 99% for almost three weeks now... it was killing my hair until I finally decided to just wrap it up in a big bun straight out of the shower. the only bits that can get frizzy are the broken bits on the very top (I only noticed those cuz I heard snapping when my snake crawled over my head while I was watching Pumpkinhead a few hours ago) and if I take it out to brush it once a day and lightly oil it, I can stuff it right back up in the bun and stretch my washes and my conditionings. I'm happy all around so far.

I know, the humidity here is a killer. At least you're handling it well. ;)

Heat + humidity = dry, frizzy, awful looking hair :(

In a nutshell !!!!!!! You've seen me, eh? :p

Ed

Just look on the bright side of life. :laugh:

Mine is trying not to wash my hair everyday. Since it gets humid here a lot, it is hard not to wash my hair everyday since I feel so sticky by the end of the day. But overwashing is bad, I would prefer to wash my hair only one every 3 days.

Maybe you could try oiling more to restore the moisture you'd lose from frequent washings? I use WO daily because my scalp does sweat and I'd be able to rake an inch of crud from my scalp under my fingernails if I didn't wash daily. :(

Humidity = Frizz
Or rather, in my case, humidity = FRIZZ

My hair has "shrunk" between 4"-6" (10-15 cm) from its usual length when dry. :rolleyes:

Oh well.... at least where I live, summer is only three months out of the year! :D

Gru your hair is awesome. It really is. :hifive:

hairg33k
July 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM
My most challenging summer issue is that my seems to droop in the heat and humidity, instead of curling up more. Which is annoying when I am trying to scrunch my hair and it just kinda goes BLAH!

redneckprincess
July 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The humidity makes me tempted to CHOP, so I have been wearing it up a lot, which also hides the frizz...

Igor
July 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Would carrying a parasol help? I've been seeing lots more women doing this lately. :confused:

I've had those demarcation lines too. I didn't know there was any way to avoid them other than dying the entire length which I'm not going to do. :brains:

I have a few things I do:
Switch to UV protection products or use them more often. Most products for coloured hair boast of UV protection
(And just for the record, no, I don’t believe these products are really “good” for protection, certainly not as good as some regular old SPF cream for your skin, but in my opinion when it comes to sun protection; Every tiny little bit helps)
Ad a teaspoon of regular SPF cream to my leave in-conditioner bottles. More than this seems to grease it up severely
Lots of up dos. A bun compared to a braid has less surface compared to the volume of hair = Less hair getting bleached
No partings! I sweep my hair back instead
Cover your hair or scalp with everything you can. Even a headband counts! Bandannas, scarves, hats, anything. I find that if you show a bit of hair along the front of the scarf, people wont assume it’s a religious statement- and it doesn’t even have to be your real hair. This is often where I play “I have bangs” with some fake hair just for fun :lol:
Luckily bandannas seems to be very accepted summer-wear

Capybara
July 15th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Ooh, good ideas Igor and jera! I used to own a parasol, wonder where that went ...

Last week, I used a scarf to protect my hair while camping. It kept the bogs off my head while protecting it from the sun as well :D I'd definitely second the headscarf recommendation! :hifive:

GRU
July 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Gru your hair is awesome. It really is. :hifive:

Aww, thanks... I'm actually quite happy with it most of the time (now that it's been behaving because I've been feeding it a better product diet), but we had something like 3000% humidity yesterday (okay, that might be a *slight* exaggeration... but it was close!) and my hair had its version of a temper tantrum.

Storm front moved through, so the humidity is a bit lower today... and my hair magically "grew" four inches overnight! :lol:

Prettyeyes23
July 16th, 2010, 08:46 AM
My hair makes me SOO hot in the summer months! I also find when it is very humid it is twice the size and frizzier than ever. I like to work out and go for walks, but then my head gets sweater resulting in greasy hair. You just can't win!:p

stkl
July 16th, 2010, 08:56 AM
humidity is my biggest problem - frizz frizz frizz and BIG hair. it seems to make my hair look shorter as well :(

Monsterkitti
July 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM
My only really issue with summer hair is that I get so hot in the summer with my hair down so it lives in updos 90% of the time.

Im wearing a buff most days this summer to try and protect it from sun damage like Igor suggested, seems to be working so far aswell as stopping the wind tangling it :)

Kome
July 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Humidity of course! While my hair is drying I try and twist it constantly, and this does sort of like a wrapping and gets rids of the frizzy's and makes it a bit straighter and less poofy. :)