PDA

View Full Version : Your most Powerful Updo

akosei
July 14th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Hi everyone! I noticed a photo a few days back (can't remember who) of a great spiral/braid updo and wondered if you feel different with certain updos and/or certain hair toys? Once you've mastered a particularly striking updo, does it make you feel like La Chatelein (I Am the Keeper of the Keys) or like Wonder Woman (able to leap buildings and deflect bullets) or maybe like a Titan of the Corporate Universe? I am a super shortie now but even when I had SL/APL it was all about wearing your hair down or maybe in a pony and the idea of changing your attitude with a certain updo is intriguing. So, updo queens, do you get a psychic/emotional boost from certain hairstyles?

naereid
July 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
At first I disliked the sock bun, but then I learned how to do it and it makes me feel kinda classy. Despite there being a sock involved - the epitome of unclassiness! :laugh: I'm attending a wedding this weekend and my mom said "you should do that big bun, it's so beautiful".

A braided bun or a rose bun makes me feel like some kind of cute peasant girl. :grnbiggri

I can't do those super impressive updos yet...

MissFrenchTwist
July 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I used to wear my french twist whenever I was going into a power/business relationship or meeting...(Hence, the handle "MissFrenchTwist".) I've gotten a bit lazy over the years, but it's funny because I was just at a 4-day conference over the past week, and kept thinking that I should see if I could still do it, because I think it would have made me feel better.

I think I'll work on that this weekend... ;-)

*Aoife*
July 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM
The first bun I managed to do with a hairstick (and an elastic and about 5 pins :p ) makes me feel fantastic. I don't know if it is an actual bun or if I made half of it up but it makes me feel older (in a good way) and sorta more beautiful.

Longlocks3
July 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM
My signature picture that you will see below is my most powerful updo. I only have ii thickness hair but the rope braided Chinese bun makes it look like I have a ton more hair. It's a good self esteem boost, though I haven't worn that updo in a couple months.

Tiina
July 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I can't do many updos yet but the different ways to wear my hair definitely affect/reflect how I am feeling.

French braid (especially tucked) is best for the times I feel stressed. Feels very pulled together and professional.

English braid means I will be sitting on my ass all day and you shouldn't bother me with trivial things. It's the "I'm too lazy to even listen to you" 'do.

Cinnabuns are the polar opposite to english braids.

Low pigtails, both braided and not, are for when I really want attention. When the husband is not around to be victimised, I bother the cat. If neither are there, then it's a sad day for me.

Sock buns make me feel kind of glamorous and even overdressed as I like to add jewelry to it.

Lace braids and accent braids are for happy (&) hippie days. Pincurls for when I want to look my most pretty and beautiful.

JenniferNoel
July 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
A very large, messy up-do adorned with a huge lace flower makes me feel like myself. It's very easy to do and beautiful looking.

kwaniesiam
July 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM
My favorite was the sock bun. It made my thin, fine hair feel so much bigger than it actually was.

irisheyes
July 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I love to French braid down to a ponytail and then make a sock bun. I don't pin the extra hair around the bun. Instead I just swirl it around and then put a hair net over the bun and swirl. It is very comfortable and holds great. I think the combination of these 2 classic styles is appropriate for most occasions. I don't use any kind of styling products anymore, yet it still looks polished and remains that way until I take it down.

eezepeeze
July 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
When I wear a sock bun with a ribbon or scarf tied around the bun, I feel pretty and pulled together, even if I'm just wearing jeans and and a tshirt.

Wearing a dutch braid makes me feel smart and confident, since I find it challenging still.

little_cherry
July 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
The fish tail braid. :) It makes me feel happy.

Xi
July 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Any sort of solid, compact, reasonably tight updo makes me feel focused, alert, and very slightly on edge. I like putting it up (wakes me up and gets my brain working), but I also love taking it out (instant relaxation). Ah, the lovely versatility of long hair...:meditate:

Nifty thread! :)

akosei
July 14th, 2010, 07:49 PM
My signature picture that you will see below is my most powerful updo. I only have ii thickness hair but the rope braided Chinese bun makes it look like I have a ton more hair. It's a good self esteem boost, though I haven't worn that updo in a couple months.

Longlocks this bun is stunning! :love: It was your bun that inspired my post. I'm so eager for the day when I can do buns like this, I think I'd feel positively...royal. :queen: Until then, I'll practice my queenly wave...

Longlocks3
July 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Longlocks this bun is stunning! :love: It was your bun that inspired my post. I'm so eager for the day when I can do buns like this, I think I'd feel positively...royal. :queen: Until then, I'll practice my queenly wave...

:o I'm so humbled! Again though, it's a deceiving bun. Stealth bun!

akosei
July 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I can't do many updos yet but the different ways to wear my hair definitely affect/reflect how I am feeling.

French braid (especially tucked) is best for the times I feel stressed. Feels very pulled together and professional.

English braid means I will be sitting on my ass all day and you shouldn't bother me with trivial things. It's the "I'm too lazy to even listen to you" 'do.

Cinnabuns are the polar opposite to english braids.

Low pigtails, both braided and not, are for when I really want attention. When the husband is not around to be victimised, I bother the cat. If neither are there, then it's a sad day for me.

Sock buns make me feel kind of glamorous and even overdressed as I like to add jewelry to it.

Lace braids and accent braids are for happy (&) hippie days. Pincurls for when I want to look my most pretty and beautiful.

Now I'm gonna have to look up photos of these buns, especially the "too lazy to look at you" braid. :laugh:

Madame J
July 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I've recently discovered the Nautilus bun. It always ends up somewhat undone and messy-looking on me, even though it's super-stable. I think it looks elegant and sexy, so I wear it when I want that kind of confidence boost.

My go-to professional bun is the Lazy Wrap Bun. It's just sleek.

Peter
July 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
A herringbone braid makes me feel like a warrior. :p

akosei
July 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Any sort of solid, compact, reasonably tight updo makes me feel focused, alert, and very slightly on edge. I like putting it up (wakes me up and gets my brain working), but I also love taking it out (instant relaxation). Ah, the lovely versatility of long hair...:meditate:

Nifty thread! :)

Yep, taking one's hair down at the end of the day is a kind of signal to transition into a whole different mode...that and taking off my bra. Instant relaxation!

Kristin
July 14th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Yep, taking one's hair down at the end of the day is a kind of signal to transition into a whole different mode...that and taking off my bra. Instant relaxation!

Haha. Agreed.

I don't think I have a "power" updo, though I will agree that it's exciting when I master a new one. My co-workers like it when I wear my hair in double vertical rope buns (one with the top of my hair and one with the bottom), so that makes me happy during the school year. I also love adding lace braids to any updo because it isn't something people usually see.

EDIT: And any updo with a Grahtoestudios antler stick or super-sharp fork makes me feel like a Viking queen.

Yamainu
July 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM
The Nautilus bun was the first one I learned how to do, and it's my go to bun while I learn others. Growing up I was only aware that the basic bun existed, so it makes me feel like I've been initiated into the Great Mysteries. Yay for newbie shine!

The chinese bun makes me feel very elegant and pulled together, even though it's superfast. When I'm in a serious mode I tend to do a french twist.

ravenreed
July 15th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I wore double figure 8 buns to a party and felt really good about how my hair looked in that updo. Apparently everyone agreed because I got lots of nice comments. I think that is my new "I need to feel more confident" updo.

LittleOrca
July 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Feeling powerful with a hair style? Hmmm, I'd have to say either the Stardust (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2945&pictureid=38383), Woven Bun (http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/IMG_7237.jpg) (Maybe without the lollipops), Rose Bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2945&pictureid=64161), or maybe the Figure 8 (http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/FiccareFigure8.jpg)/Infinity (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2537&pictureid=76466). I do like the sock bun (http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/Long%20Hair%20Gallery/Updos/IMG_9119-1.jpg) as well, and I think that depending on the situation the sock bun might be the most "matronly" or "Librarian"-esque style and that tends to make people think more intellectual and stronger in the mind, even if there is a backlash of the wearer being viewed as "boring," but I think that also depends on what accessories you jazz yourself up with. ;)

However, nothing makes me feel the most powerful and wonderful than when my hair is down. :)

Olde Soul
July 15th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I feel like a million bucks in a flipped bun- it kind of makes me feel like a naughty librarian. I also feel really put-together in a sock bun.

countryhopper
July 15th, 2010, 12:43 AM
When I want to feel elegant: Gibson tuck, side swept bun, both with vintage looking silk flower/feather pins.

When I want the 'do to last all day: dutch braids, french braids (and diagonal variations of these)

When I want to "show off" my hair styling abilities to everyone (How'd she DO that?!): 5 strand braid, sock bun with scarf, figure 8 bun, lazy wrap bun, rope braid, french rope braid

When I want it up fast: peacock twist or clipped in claw clip

tinti
July 15th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I think my power updo is my teased cinnamon bun. Or what you'll call it. And the pony your hair and add pincurls wherever you want them was my signature, but then I got the layers and it didn't look as good as before.

Monsterkitti
July 15th, 2010, 03:16 AM
I love having my hair in a rosebun, it feels so pretty :) A sock bun when I atually get it right feels great too, neat and organised feeling :)

freckles
July 15th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I don't know why, but any kind of braid starting with a high-ish ponytail makes me feel powerful.

sneakybea
July 15th, 2010, 03:47 AM
For me, it's the reverse roll (if you call that an updo). It's where you do french rope braids on both sides and ponytail them together at the back. I wore this to my sister's church once, and the lady sitting behind me told me "Braiding hair must be your gift from God."* So I refer to this as my "gift from God" hairstyle.

rapunzhell13
July 15th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Any updo with hairsticks makes me feel a bit assassin-y. One time DBF was getting his hair cut and I walked off in search of a comfy seat. He told me later that when I left the barber said he noticed I was wearing hairsticks and that in Ancient Japan they were used as weapons. Random, but made me feel cool.

pepperminttea
July 15th, 2010, 07:55 AM
When I was on the way to BSL, I used to wear a French twist a lot; it was the first style I really got the hang of. I felt like I was one synthetic shoulder-padded jacket away from being a 90s business woman wearing it. :D

laurathexplora
July 15th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Definitely a dutch braid. I take it down and put it back up with out a mirror when my layers start to poke out and people think I'm a magician or something. Well I am. ;) I get the most compliments on that style too.

akosei
July 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Thank you again for sharing your power updos. Your hair stories are very inspiring and I'll be coming back to these posts in months and years ago to renew my dedication to grow, grow, grow my hair!

While looking up photos of some of the buns you described I found this website: JJJ's Long Hair photo page. I'm pretty new here so I don't know if she's a current LHCer but her buns and updos are amazing. Here's the link: http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/3.html

MathnSkating
July 15th, 2010, 03:41 PM
My favorite up-dos are anything with braids. I recently found something online (no idea what its called) and you make two pigtails and make those into two braids (total of four) and sort of wind them around each other. Its really nice because you don't have that big thing sticking out the back of your head like buns.

My other favorite is just the braided bun. I've never gotten compliments on my hair before and I've gotten 2 with this style. My mom even thinks it looks elegant, I think is how she put it. I love it! :D

Zindell
July 16th, 2010, 06:52 AM
A French Twist makes me feel like I am on top of the world. Very professional. :)

Wildcat Diva
June 29th, 2012, 08:36 PM
This thread looks fun but it's old. Bump!

natural_shine
June 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Nautilus bun held in place by a hair claw.

(oh the nostalgia... how I miss my long hair days... can't wait to grow again)

Hollyfire3
June 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Reving thread! An english braid makes me feel in control and very comfortable with myself (It also reminds me of Piper from Charmed because my hair looks like hers, especially in this style), but in a young girl sort of way, a diagnol dutch braid (Katniss braid) makes me feel like a super strong at heart person, like Katniss in the Hunger Games for who the style was named. A normal bun makes me feel older and steady. A rose bun makes me feel important and nearly royal (despite the fact I can't do anything but a messy messy version (darn thickness!)). A half up makes me think of how I want my hair on my wedding day if I ever have one, it makes me want big, bouncy curls and a pretty veil to go over the half up, very romantic and pretty feeling. Emotions go with most hair styles I attempt because of what inspired them, so for me, it just a very sedimental part of me, my hair.:)

Wildcat Diva
June 29th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Reving thread! An english braid makes me feel in control and very comfortable with myself (It also reminds me of Piper from Charmed because my hair looks like hers, especially in this style), but in a young girl sort of way, a diagnol dutch braid (Katniss braid) makes me feel like a super strong at heart person, like Katniss in the Hunger Games for who the style was named. A normal bun makes me feel older and steady. A rose bun makes me feel important and nearly royal (despite the fact I can't do anything but a messy messy version (darn thickness!)). A half up makes me think of how I want my hair on my wedding day if I ever have one, it makes me want big, bouncy curls and a pretty veil to go over the half up, very romantic and pretty feeling. Emotions go with most hair styles I attempt because of what inspired them, so for me, it just a very sedimental part of me, my hair.:)

good post, I like your descriptions of your hair/ feelings.

Hollyfire3
June 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM
good post, I like your descriptions of your hair/ feelings.

Oh thanks :o. Its truly how I feel, and I tend to get descriptive about stuff I care about. Its amazing because I truly am learning to love my hair for what it is (wurly, thick, sometimes big, more coarse then super soft, heat damaged and slowly growing all of that out) and not hate it for what it isn't (perfect (yet lol), smooth all the time, straight, silky, predictable). This outlook allows me to understand my hair and except myself more too, its great really.

GlennaGirl
June 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM
French twist. I always feel polished and "grown-up" in it.

HintOfMint
June 29th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Twin french braids going into a single braided bun.

It looks far more elaborate than it actually is and it captures all my hair and gets it off my face without looking severe.

I wear it with red lipstick, small gold hoops and a button-up shirt. Definitely a power hairdo.

Amelia
June 29th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Now that my hair is starting to allow me to do more (finally at hip with iii hair!) I always feel very confident with a five strand Dutch braid. It 'kills' my arms, it's true lol but the effect is amazing.

I've recently started to make (not totally mastered, but i'll get there) LaDollyVita33's "Sea Shell Bun" which involves lace braids in a kind of zigzag across your head, and a beautiful bun that sits kind of sideways, and that makes me feel very pretty. [Shiobhan: if you ever read this, thank you so much for your hair ideas.]

Another do that makes me feel sofisticated is the lazy wrap bun lol because despite my waves and curls the darn thing looks sleek and nice :D also a very recently conquered hairstyle due to hair thickness issues.

Milui Elenath
June 30th, 2012, 12:16 AM
I feel different in many styles but my most powerful? Hmmm, I think it has to be the dutch crown braid - It's out of the way but beautiful and old fashioned - like a medieval fantasy character on a quest or a fairy dancing in the garden or a farmers wife baking in a long dress with a white apron . . . somehow it embodies those images to me and brings me a little bit of the dream into my daily routines :D

But I also love the fully rolled sock bun for it's volume.

TeaGarden
June 30th, 2012, 01:05 AM
My "power hair" is anything half-up. I feel so pretty because my hair is still down, but still has beautiful braids up top. My personal favorite style to wear is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nu5LIjN2lw&feature=plcp

When I'm at the studio (aerial silks, contortion, lyra school thing), I like to wear my hair in two low cinnabuns. It makes me feel like an adorable acrobat! That probably sounds odd. :)

Seeshami
June 30th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Rope french braids down the side and the double rope bun. People always stop me and ask me about my hair.

pink.sara
June 30th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Twin french braids going into a single braided bun.

It looks far more elaborate than it actually is and it captures all my hair and gets it off my face without looking severe.

I wear it with red lipstick, small gold hoops and a button-up shirt. Definitely a power hairdo.

Hijack..... I'm stealing this idea for a wedding I'm going to later today.

I'm not long enough for a braided bun but twin Dutch braids into a sockbun sounds pretty.

And I'm stealing your make-up/accessories :cheese:

Raponsje
June 30th, 2012, 05:28 AM
For the dreamy gentle days I like the Gibson tuck and a poofy nearly at the top knot/bun. When I want regal I go for the french lace crownbraid. For a professional feel I like a French braid with tucked tail or a Kitness diagonal Dutch braid with the end rolled up like a rosette.

Madora
June 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Currently it is my lace crown braid:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/61912Lacedutchcrown_edited-1.jpg

GrowingGlory
June 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM
My bantu/beebut wears a cape and unitard...

hafattack
June 30th, 2012, 08:25 AM
whoa whoa whoa.. I have been calling what I now believe is a dutch braid an inside out french braid for as long as I have been doing them (which is most of my life. I am terrible at french braids but do well with the inside out.) is this the same braid?

DarkCurls
June 30th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'm pretty sure it is hafattack (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=47785). I use both terms interchangeably.

My "powerful" updo is the crown braid. I feel so happy when I don't mess it up. :o Which I do, most of the time.

jacqueline101
June 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I'd say my own created hair do. Its original and I'm all powerful for wearing it.

Madora
June 30th, 2012, 10:09 AM
whoa whoa whoa.. I have been calling what I now believe is a dutch braid an inside out french braid for as long as I have been doing them (which is most of my life. I am terrible at french braids but do well with the inside out.) is this the same braid?

There are several kinds of braids:

English/Dutch/Herringbone/cable plaits/etc.

"French" is merely a technique of adding additional hair to each outside strand as you are braiding.

"English" is an overhand method: you cross the outside left strand over the center and hold, then cross the outside right strand over the center and hold.

"Dutch" is an underhand method: you take the outside left strand and bring it under the center and hold, then take the outside right strand under the center and hold.

French "Dutch" braiding has been called "reverse bridal plait" and other descriptions

Ditto for "English" braiding.

Just different terminologies for different users I guess.

dollyfish
June 30th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Low pigtails, both braided and not, are for when I really want attention. When the husband is not around to be victimised, I bother the cat.

HAD to quote this because it made me laugh so much. I'm the exact same :D

My hair is too short to really do much with besides a hastily thrown together no-name crumbled bun with sticks, or a peacock twist, so I have yet to discover my most "powerful" updo.

I also have no idea how to do a french twist, despite seeing several different tutorials of different techniques. I guess that's just not a style for me.

dwell_in_safety
June 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I feel fantastic whenever I can manage a crown braid that doesn't look at least a little mussed-up. Rope crown braids are an exemption; they're much easier.

hafattack
June 30th, 2012, 02:05 PM
thanks madora! Been wondering what a Dutch braid was for a while.. It sounded complicated to me, then I looked it up today and wha la! Better at that than French braiding haha

HintOfMint
June 30th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hijack..... I'm stealing this idea for a wedding I'm going to later today.

I'm not long enough for a braided bun but twin Dutch braids into a sockbun sounds pretty.

And I'm stealing your make-up/accessories :cheese:

Aw, I'm flattered! Steal away, and have fun!

rach
June 30th, 2012, 02:36 PM
My formal confident style is a high up chinese bun and french twist.

Tisiloves
July 1st, 2012, 06:17 AM
Currently it's a French pleat with my lovely sparkly comb.

Vanilla
July 1st, 2012, 08:17 AM
I would also have to say French twist. My hair is just a smidge too long for this style now.

Wildcat Diva
July 1st, 2012, 06:31 PM
I would also have to say French twist. My hair is just a smidge too long for this style now.

I saw someone on a thread called wear all your hairtoys once do a french twist with really long hair. She just twisted the hair closest to the scalp, then instead of tucking the ends in, she did a bun with the rest close to the top. Looked really pretty. Let me see if I can find it.

This might restore your "most powerful updo."

Wildcat Diva
July 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM
can't seem to find it. It was a cool thread too. A challenge to wear a new hair toy every day for a month.

luckyshot
July 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM
The french fishtail, with the end tucked up is my favorite style right now. I like it kind of loose and messy. It makes me feel like myself and suits my personal style.

When I want to feel very polished and put together I do a gibson tuck. My hair is too short and thin for any buns, so it's one of the few really polished looks I can do.

SerinaDaith
July 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM
I love the french twist, it's obviously popular here :D I can't wait to grow into it again then back out of it so that I can try other styles that my hair has always been to short for.