PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help!

issalynn
July 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member to the boards, but I've been lurking for a while. I've decided to join because I'm just at my wits end with my hair. After having chin length hair on and off for years I've decided to grow it out. Figures that once I start growing it, it'd start falling out by the handful. Seriously, I'm having loads fall out 24/7 no matter how gentle I am with it. I thought it was the normal post-partum fallout. But my DR said that it has been going on for too long and now I have to have testing done on my hormone levels just in case.

Also, with the fallout and thinning, my texture is now changing. My waves are starting to disappear. My hair used to feel thick and lush. I loved how out of control it was. Now it just feels so blah and wimpy.

So based on what I've read on the board, I started a scalp massage regime and now take biotin and msm daily. I'm considering cowashing, but am apprehensive because my hair can get really greasy easily. Anyone else out there experience this? Can someone commiserate and whine with me so I don't feel so alone! Haha, thanks!

Tiina
July 14th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I believe one of our members Emichiee has gone through a major shed as well due to thyroid problems (are you being tested for that as well?). She has a blog http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.com/ where she talks of her progress and how she coped with the hairloss. There are also some members with alopecia such as PurdyBear and iwonder. I have lost some hair thanks to psoriasis on the scalp but thankfully that has (for now) fixed itself.

I hope your hair will feel better soon. :)

JenniferNoel
July 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I just went through a shed much like the one you've described; it seemed to be caused by minor head trauma (mechanical damage to the follicles). And don't forget that people do go through shed periods once in a while. What have you changed in your routine since deciding to grow it out? If nothing, it may go away on it's own, but make sure to triple check your nutrition/stress level. Stress sheds behave similarly. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, and I hope it gets under control soon.