PDA

View Full Version : I'm trimming my hair ...

Capybara
July 14th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'm planning on trimming my hair within the next few days, and I want to do a more v-shaped hemline. Right now, I have a blunt-ish cut.

I will be cutting my hair myself. I've used Feye's method in the past for a blunt cut, and it has worked perfectly, but I am wondering:

Are there any tips to make the v-shaped cut even? My hair is getting a little difficult to reach :o

and

For those of you who have seen my albums, do you think a v-shaped hemline will look good?

TIA :blossom:

ETA: I forgot to ask, when cutting with Feye's method for v-shaped hemline, would I part my hair in the middle or keep it in its usual side parting? I never leave it parted in the middle, but I don't know if it would turn out with the hair parted on the side :confused: TIA again :)

spidermom
July 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I don't see why a V-shape wouldn't work for you. It looks like you already have a gentle U. Just take it slow and easy and a little bit at a time.

I've given up on trimming my own hair; I always end up with one side shorter than the other.

Capybara
July 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence, spidermom! :D I'm really excited about this now!

I haven't trimmed my hair in a while, so the hemline is a little wonky (I suppose some parts of my hair grow more quickly than others), but I've been liking the gentle "u" shape and wanted to make it deeper :)

countryhopper
July 15th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I've used Feye's method for a U, not a V, but I'd imagine that it's basically the same in that you pull the hair forward, comb, and cut. I'd follow her directions for parting in the middle even though you normally wear a side part. With the blunt and U hemline you have to pull the scrunchie behind you to snip off the ends, but since you want a V, you won't have the problem of not being able to reach behind.

Just read the instructions several times first, then snip off a tiny bit at a time. She also has methods for checking to make sure the ends are even.

UltraBella
July 15th, 2010, 01:04 AM
It's a really good question about the parting ! I would think it could make a difference for a V cut. I hope someone here knows for sure.

Capybara
July 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks countryhopper!

Yes, going slowly is a good point. That way, if I decide I don't like it, it will only take a little to get it back to the hemline it was :)

Thank you UltraBella! I hope no one experiments about this! :p

Tiina
July 15th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Yep, a V-shape will look great on you. :)

Hm... Speaking from my (not always accurate) logical reasoning not experience if you moved your part for trimming, it would cause layers when you switch back to a sidepart and the V wouldn't look as tidy. But ff the part is not far from the center it shouldn't be much of a problem and I imagine it would be harder to cut evenly when there is more hair on one side than the other. :shrug:

triumphator!
July 15th, 2010, 09:06 AM
i think it would make the most sense to keep your original part while trimming...

Prettyeyes23
July 17th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Capybara, do you have an update for us?

Sammich
July 17th, 2010, 05:17 AM
i think it would make the most sense to keep your original part while trimming...

I've always been a bit confused about that in Faye's method, should you keep the original part or part in them middle? Hmm. I wonder if that affects it, I would guess it would... eh.
Anywho, yes, I'd like to see an update! :D *Excited* :cheese:

Lemur_Catta
July 17th, 2010, 05:27 AM
I think you would have to part in the middle, because you have to part all way to the nape...and if you do it on the side, you will end up with the point of the V to the side as well...then you can do your usual parting, and it will look even because you would only part the hair on the sides, non in the back...
I am sorry if this is confusing :D

Capybara
July 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Yep, a V-shape will look great on you. :)

Hm... Speaking from my (not always accurate) logical reasoning not experience if you moved your part for trimming, it would cause layers when you switch back to a sidepart and the V wouldn't look as tidy. But ff the part is not far from the center it shouldn't be much of a problem and I imagine it would be harder to cut evenly when there is more hair on one side than the other. :shrug:

I think you would have to part in the middle, because you have to part all way to the nape...and if you do it on the side, you will end up with the point of the V to the side as well...then you can do your usual parting, and it will look even because you would only part the hair on the sides, non in the back...
I am sorry if this is confusing :D

That's what I thought ... Thank you! Maybe I should just do it with a part in the middle first, and then clean up the hemline with my regular parting?

Unfortunately, I don't have an update - I've been debating back and forth over this! I don't want to frustrate anyone! My problem is, the v-shaped hemline looks so nice, but I like the "u" shape I have going on right now as well.

Decisions, decisions! :p I think I will trim tomorrow, after my hair dries after I wash it. Then, hopefully, we'll see how it goes :)

meph
July 18th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I don't have experience with V shaped hemlines but when I used to cut mine into an U, I never parted my hair in the middle. Granted, my part is only a little bit to the side, but even so my hemline never got crooked. I think your safest bet is to cut your hair when it's parted in the middle, and then see if it's still straight when you change your part. If it isn't you could always tidy it up later.