PDA

View Full Version : Cassia questions? (Attn: Nightshade)

earthymamawitch
July 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Ok I read on here that you can purchase senna for use on hair, that it's the same thing as cassia. However I also see from researching that the one usually sold for hair use is Cassia obovata, and the one sold for laxative use is Cassia angustifolia. Is there going to be a significant difference in the way they work? Does anyone have more info on this?

Also would cassia be considered more of a moisturizing treatment, or a strengthening (protein) treatment, or both? And what other herbs mix well with it if one was making a hair tea or mud? Thanks :)

Jenn

Nightshade
July 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Heh, vanity search will get me every time. :lol:

Ok I read on here that you can purchase senna for use on hair, that it's the same thing as cassia. However I also see from researching that the one usually sold for hair use is Cassia obovata, and the one sold for laxative use is Cassia angustifolia. Is there going to be a significant difference in the way they work? Does anyone have more info on this?

I think this will cover most your questions:
http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/cassiaobovata.html

The short answer is that it is untested for the antifungal and acidic properties that make it so nice for the scalp, and as such may not produce the same results on hair.

Also would cassia be considered more of a moisturizing treatment, or a strengthening (protein) treatment, or both?

Cassia (acting much like henna but to a lesser extent) leaves a resin coating on the hair. This helps smooth the cuticle, making hair shine. This resin also contains the golden color of cassia. In the case of henna the color is in the part of the molecule that binds to the cortex (the inside) of the hair shaft. Cassia essentially replicates the outer conditioning treatment, but not the interior strengthening. It isn't a moisture treatment or a protien, by more like a natural herbal coating that's a like a silicone, but natural, it wears away on its own, and doesn't seal moisture in/out of the hair.

And what other herbs mix well with it if one was making a hair tea or mud?

My favorite herb to mix with cassia is powdered chamomile. Chamomile is a natural hair conditioner and also does wonderful things for the scalp and skin. Adding chamomile also seems to reduce the dryness and poofiness that some people experience after doing a cassia treatment. I'd also add a half tablespoon of honey to a 100g mix, it makes rinsing easier and also helps keep the hair feeling moisturized.

I hope that helps! Please ask if you have more questions :D