PDA

View Full Version : Frizz ??

littlenvy
July 14th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I decided to clarify my hair yesterday and to the SMT afterwards. :)

Now I have very soft and shiny hair :D… with lots of FRIZZ!
My goodness! I have never had this much frizz in my life. I looked like a hedgehog with all those little hairs trying to escape my head.
I’m not sure if it was the honey (which I never tried before) that my hair hates, or the SLS free shampoo that was just too harsh –I used Avalon Lemon clarifying shampoo - or the fact that I tried to comb the treatment into my hair. I will figure it out one day.

But this got me thinking … what is frizz anyway??

Is it damaged hair?
Is it broken off hair?
Is it new hair that just hasn’t reached the same length as the rest?
And how come the longer I go without washing the less frizz I get? (by the third day I have no frizz what so ever no matter the weather)

emmabovary
July 14th, 2010, 07:48 AM
SMT sometimes makes my hair super frizzy as well. I think it depends on the humidity level in the air as well as on how much honey you use. I think the worst time for me was when I subbed honey for molasses and used way too much of it. I don't recall it getting too frizzy when I used honey.

Also, when I've just clarified my hair looks horrifying.. frizzy and dry.

spidermom
July 14th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I think that for most of us, the frizzy look is caused by shorter, newer hairs that don't have enough weight on them to lay down yet. Plus humidity/moisture fluffs them up. A few days after washing, the scalp's natural sebum helps to tame them.

embee
July 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Most of the time I think frizz looks like a halo and is beautiful when the light catches it. Think of a fuzzy dog or cat, and how lovely the fur looks when it's fluffed up in the light. :)

Heat with humidity causes mine to frizz, which is kinda cool as my hair is thin-fine-stick-straight!

Gypsygirl
July 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM
I think that for most of us, the frizzy look is caused by shorter, newer hairs that don't have enough weight on them to lay down yet. Plus humidity/moisture fluffs them up. A few days after washing, the scalp's natural sebum helps to tame them.

That! For me, anyway...

ptnicole
July 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
embee...I love your post and your description of frizz...makes it sound so pretty! I don't feel so bad about mine now! Thank you!

Aloe vera gel on my top layer helps tame my frizz very well!

littlenvy
July 14th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Most of the time I think frizz looks like a halo and is beautiful when the light catches it. Think of a fuzzy dog or cat, and how lovely the fur looks when it's fluffed up in the light. :)

Heat with humidity causes mine to frizz, which is kinda cool as my hair is thin-fine-stick-straight!
LOL! I will have to adopt this point of view. :D

and thank you Ladies for answering. :)
I was worried that all the frizz was some kind of damage and was quite shocked at how much there was.

And little bit of emu oil got it all under control again. So now I can see my new shine and feel my softness without the panic.

HintOfMint
July 14th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I ALWAYS have to top off an SMT with coconut oil. An SMT on its own makes my hair very moisturized but very frizzy, but combined with coconut oil after I have gotten out of the shower, the results are the smoothest hair I have had in my life.

spidermom
July 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM
My frizz scoffs at coconut oil and aloe vera gel, but pomade or wax or styling putty will smooth them down.

Anje
July 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Mine tends to frizz up a lot after any sort of shampooing, particularly clarifying. In my case, frizz seems to have to do with a bit of dryness, rather than moisture, and can be remedied by even more moisture. (Probably not the case for everyone, since you always hear about hair going frizzy on humid days.)

It might be broken hair, but it's likely that your new growth is just standing up and letting you see it. (Check the tips of the hair. New ends are tapered and pointy.) Weighing them down with a bit of leave-in conditioner or oil is usually effective. Shea butter-based cream is more effective, if something light doesn't cut it.

littlenvy
July 14th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you for all your answers! :)

I am so glad I asked. Now I can rest easy that not all the frizz is damage.
From now on when I see it I will say "Hi babies! See you at the hemline" :cheese: