PDA

View Full Version : ends too thin

Brenda714
July 14th, 2010, 07:29 AM
from cutting layers. I need help please! It's about to my armpits. I thought doing this would make a difference in its appearance but I've ruined it more. I know aside from wearing it up and waaaiiitttinnng there is nothing else I can do. Does anyone relate to this?:confused:

kristymarie87
July 14th, 2010, 07:38 AM
from cutting layers. I need help please! It's about to my armpits. I thought doing this would make a difference in its appearance but I've ruined it more. I know aside from wearing it up and waaaiiitttinnng there is nothing else I can do. Does anyone relate to this?:confused:

Yep i can!

My layers are so heavy at the front they've left my hair looking stringy and thin!

You are just going to have to wait it out! Find a way to style it so it looks at least dealable. Maybe invest in pretty clips and pin some back.

Experiment with waves and styles that look volumised like quiffs.

spidermom
July 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
And get regular small trims at the bottom so some of the shorter layers can catch up.

Monsterkitti
July 14th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Yes I can relate! :) Ive only got one big layer left now and am trimming till its grown out but it does make my ends look very thin :/ Patience is what im learning from it :)

Carolyn
July 14th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Oh yes :D I did that big time a few years ago. I learned from it. No more all over layers and no more impulse cuts. It sucked growing it out but I think it makes me appreciate my hair now all the more.

Mariah!!
July 14th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Yep i can!! I have gotten layers for many reasons including because I wanted to get rid of more dead hair without losing length. Once I told my mother in law that I wanted my hair to look thicker at the ends, so she cut it strait across and I didn't like it, so i let her layer it. I lost much length this way and I was very sad. Then 2 years ago I had my hair cut in layers down to a little past APL and I am ALMOST done growing the layers out!! It's taking for EVER!! But you can hardly tell now. I'm just stubborn and didn't want to lose length cutting it.

UltraBella
July 14th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I adore lawyers, but someone really did a bad job about ten years ago and all the bulk of my hair was up high and my ends looked thin and awful. I cut my hair to shoulder length because of it :(

spidermom
July 14th, 2010, 08:59 AM
You must be about the only person alive to adore lawyers, UltraBella.

kristymarie87
July 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I like them.....but only when theyre long and look more natural. I went through a phase where i liked blunt choppy OTT layers and am paying the price now!

Jezerellica
July 14th, 2010, 09:37 AM
You must be about the only person alive to adore lawyers, UltraBella.

Surprise, I know a wonderful female lawyer who is so sweet and simply an amazing person. It's true! I have had to stop myself from lawyer jokes! hee hee!! :D

loralie
July 14th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Of course Brenda!

You can either wait it out, let them all grow in slowly, or grow/trim.

It feels like it takes forever but I've found that keeping the top layer (canopy) ends really moisturized and oiled keeps them from breaking and they grow nicely!

My top layers were ear length when I started here... Now they're touching shoulder. You can do it!! :D

ptnicole
July 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm with ultrabella...I like my layers. When the ends get a bit thin, I cut my hem about 1/4"...I did this back in June and it made a huge difference. I will cut like this every 4 months or so and just dust the layers. I LOVE my layers....they help my 1bish hair have volume and I can get some good waves when I work it. I will definitely keep them as I head to waist. Side note...my avatar is old...my hair is now brownish, which I love. The blonde was just not me anymore :).

mellie89
July 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Umm, yes. Take a look at the picture in my signature if you need proof. ;)

I've finally come to the conclusion that layers are NOT a good look for my hair unless they are very long and blended. I bought a pair of hair cutting shears and will be avoiding the salon and doing small, frequent self-trims until the layers catch up. It's a bit intimidating since the shortest layers are about chin-length, but I'm up for it. :) Good luck!

pepperminttea
July 14th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I feel your pain, I've been growing mine out for a long while now; I'm two trims away from getting even with the shortest ones. If nothing else it's a good reason to look forward to a little cut rather than dreading losing a bit of length?

Anje
July 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know whether anyone will agree with me, but my personal opinion is layers on longhairs are best left to the iii folks, who can keep thick-looking hemlines even when they reduce the amount of hair going there by getting layers. Shorter-haired folks with thinner hair can get away with layers, but eventually taper takes too much away from the hem.

With my low-to-mid ii hair, I'm waiting for enough length to make it to tailbone when cut blunt before growing on. My ends would look downright pathetic if I cut in layers at this length.

Tiina
July 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I feel your pain. I got layers almost to scalp in February and it was awful but in these last two months they have finally started to blend in. Patience is the key to many things. :flower: