PDA

View Full Version : How do you comb out tangles after washing or CWC, whatever you do?

Jezerellica
July 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I seem to be doing the most damage after this. Please help! I finish, wrap towel nun style, pat moisture out, and use a leave in conditioner, anti-snap by redken. If I use no leave in it is REALLY tangley. The anti-snap just helps. I can feel the hair tangle and stretch. I use a wide tooth comb with no sharp edges. Currently use redken butter treat and leave in for about 10 minutes. Mabey I rinse too much out? :(

My hair has never been this long! Between waist and TB. Yay! But I need advice from you seasoned long hair girls! I have fine hair, but a lot of it. I will be greatful for any ideas! Thanks for reading! :confused:

shockinglength
July 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
can you ait until your hair is dry before detangling it?Oh are you detangeling before you wash your hair?

HintOfMint
July 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM
It would be helpful to know what shampoo/conditioner you use and their ingredients, if possible.

I actually have had no problems detangling after I wash, mainly because working the conditioner through my hair detangles it. The only times I had serious problems with detangling after a wash was when I had buildup, or when I had a protein overload. (This is why I ask about the ingredients).

Delila
July 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I let my hair dry before I do most detangling. It's vulnerable when wet, so I feel it's safer to wait. I finger detangle and finger comb.

Jezerellica
July 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
can you ait until your hair is dry before detangling it?Oh are you detangeling before you wash your hair?

I detangle before I wash. It is so easy it takes about 30 seconds. It is just so difficult when wet. I have been scared to try letting it dry before detangling for fear it would dry the tangles in, you know? Mabey I will have to give this a try! Thank you!

I let my hair dry before I do most detangling. It's vulnerable when wet, so I feel it's safer to wait. I finger detangle and finger comb.

Yes! I start with finger combing in the shower after rinsing out conditioner. I will try waiting for it to dry for the first time before detangling tomorrow. I will be so happy if this works!!! :)

Thank you both for your advice!

It would be helpful to know what shampoo/conditioner you use and their ingredients, if possible.

I actually have had no problems detangling after I wash, mainly because working the conditioner through my hair detangles it. The only times I had serious problems with detangling after a wash was when I had buildup, or when I had a protein overload. (This is why I ask about the ingredients).

You may have a point about the build up. The anti-snap has protein as well as the shampoo, redken extreme. I use redken butter treat for conditioner, and a herbal essence for protecting the length while I wash.

I'm sorry, I have trouble reading small print and can't make out the ingredients on the bottles. :rolleyes:

Thank you for the thoughts!! :)

jane53
July 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Jezerellica, I always brush my hair completely before washing to make sure I don't go into the process with tangles.

Then, for me, I find a wide tooth comb is very damaging. I used to use one all the time and it gave me so much breakage that I gave up combing entirely.

I try not to untangle while wet. If I have to, I wait until it's partially dry and then very gently brush with a boar bristle brush.

If I can wash before bed, I braid my hair dripping wet without any combing, brushing, or detangling. In the morning, my hair is still wet, but just on the verge of dry, and it's tangle free. I can easily brush it with my BBB without working through any tangles.

Like you, I have fine hair, but a lot of it. Maybe...just maybe...some of my methods will be helpful for you.

Jezerellica
July 13th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Jezerellica, I always brush my hair completely before washing to make sure I don't go into the process with tangles.

Then, for me, I find a wide tooth comb is very damaging. I used to use one all the time and it gave me so much breakage that I gave up combing entirely.

I try not to untangle while wet. If I have to, I wait until it's partially dry and then very gently brush with a boar bristle brush.

If I can wash before bed, I braid my hair dripping wet without any combing, brushing, or detangling. In the morning, my hair is still wet, but just on the verge of dry, and it's tangle free. I can easily brush it with my BBB without working through any tangles.

Like you, I have fine hair, but a lot of it. Maybe...just maybe...some of my methods will be helpful for you.

Wow. Thank you so much. I will most definately try these. I will be shopping for a boar bristle brush tomorrow! :D

squiggyflop
July 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
do you detangle in the shower? do you detangle BEFORE the shower? i cant get a comb through my hair if i dont detangle before the shower dry or with oil/ during the shower when the conditioner is in my hair/and after the shower when im adding my leave-in JOHNSON'S® NO MORE TANGLES® Leave-in Conditioner.. yeah i use a toddler detangler cream..

have you tried a detangler spray.. i recommend Vo5 shine and detangle spray (but dont use it on a tiled floor because it makes the floor waaaay too slippery for days.) oh it also doubles as a heat protection spray..

no idea about redken as i use really watered down suave clarifying shampoo along with suave professionals conditioner (the damage care kind).. i cant use anything with protein or it tangles like mad.. and i dont see a point in any special shampoos other than the medicated kind.. shampoos just wash out ;) its the conditioner thats important to me..

also try an ACT rinse.. it gives the hair more slip/ easier detangling..

and rinse the conditioner out in cold water (helps me with tangles)

ETA: BBB on wet hair one day broke off so much of my hair i needed a 2 inch trim the next day.. also if your hair is thick it wont penetrate enough to detangle the hair.. jane53 has i-ii hair so keep that in mind.. a BBB wont penetrate my hair the way it would hers.. (i have a 3.25-3.5 pony)

oh right how do i detangle.. i use a wood bristle brush when its dry/oiled and a shower detangling comb when wet/covered in conditioner
why use a wood bristle brush?.. well as jane53 cant use a comb properly neither can i.. and it works for my thick hair the way a BBB works for hers.. its just that i need something a bit heftyer than she does due to the evil thick tangled mess that is my hair... my hair cant be worn down all the time like jane53 *envy monster* because my hair will try and dread itself.. it is just plain tangly all the time.. if i so much as re-part my hair sometimes it will tangle.. so ive worked out a lot of techniques for detangling along with using products that give the most slip..

ravenreed
July 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I detangle before I jump in the shower, and I take care not to tangle it too much during the shower. After I get out, I use a tangle teezer or a comb when it is still wet. If I am careful, I don't hear any snapping sounds. I cannot wait until my hair dries to detangle because then the tangles are in there for good.

Check to see if you have too much protein in your products. I know that a lot of them do have it and it makes my hair just snarl up.

Jezerellica
July 13th, 2010, 10:23 PM
do you detangle in the shower? do you detangle BEFORE the shower? i cant get a comb through my hair if i dont detangle before the shower dry or with oil/ during the shower when the conditioner is in my hair/and after the shower when im adding my leave-in JOHNSON'SŪ NO MORE TANGLESŪ Leave-in Conditioner.. yeah i use a toddler detangler cream..

have you tried a detangler spray.. i recomend Vo5 shine and detangle spray (but dont use it on a tiled floor because it makes the floor waaaay too slippery for days.) oh it also doubles as a heat protection spray..

no idea about redken as i use really watered down suave clarifying shampoo and suave professionals conditioner (the damage care kind).. i cant use anything with protein or it tangles like mad.. and i dont see a point in any special shampoos other than the medicated kind.. shampoos just wash out ;) its the conditioner thats important to me..

also try an ACT rinse.. it gives the hair more slip/ easier detangling..

and rinse the conditioner out in cold water (helps me with tangles)

ETA: BBB on wet hair one day broke off so much of my hair i needed a 2 inch trim the next day.. also if your hair is thick it wont penetrate enough to detangle the hair.. jane53 has i-ii hair so keep that in mind.. a BBB wont penetrate my hair the way it would hers.. (i have a 3.25-3.5 pony)

AAAAAH! I have the biggest smile on my face! I used "No More Tangles" as a child and it worked ok if I remember correctly! Why not try this again? Duh! How could I not think of this!

Yes, I makes sure every tangle is out before I step in the shower. It is super easy then. Thank you for the other suggestions and ETA. I will be very careful. ;)

squiggyflop
July 13th, 2010, 10:44 PM
AAAAAH! I have the biggest smile on my face! I used "No More Tangles" as a child and it worked ok if I remember correctly! Why not try this again? Duh! How could I not think of this!

Yes, I makes sure every tangle is out before I step in the shower. It is super easy then. Thank you for the other suggestions and ETA. I will be very careful. ;)
just be careful.. they changed the spray formula and it doesnt work as well as the cream.. i use the Vo5 spray because it works like the old 'no more tangles' spray worked before they decided to change it making it totally useless..
so NMT spray=bad ,,,NMT cream=good... Vo5 spray=good

im serious about not using the Vo5 detangle and shine on smooth floors though.. if you are walking in socks even 3 days later your feet will slip right out from under you.. if its that slippery on floors you can imagine how slippery your hair will be.. i couldnt be more serious about this.. you could seriously injure yourself.. and dont spray it near the shower either or you will slip.. after several falls i now only use the stuff over carpet.. its very very very very dangerous.. if you do get it on a smooth floor you must use a sulphate to get it off the floor or it will take as long as a week to wear off naturally.. all the while your feet will be slipping out from under you like walking in a skating rink

rosek
July 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I use a night repair treatment the night before I wash. It gives me better detangling in the shower. I also comb a little in the shower with the second C in my hair, then when I get out, add leave-in and comb again. Works for me :)

Yamainu
July 14th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I finger comb in the shower, and then use my horn comb (I know it's bad for the comb, but it works so much better than my plastic comb, and the tangles are permanent if I let them dry).

Alvrodul
July 14th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I am another with fine hair.
Like the others here, I get my hair detangled before stepping into the shower. My hair likes combs, and I am getting to have quite an array now. ;) Although when it is dry it does well enough with brusing as well.
When in the shower, I try to work with my hair, and not mess it up too much - certainly no piling my hair on top of my hair! Better to fold it up and put it in a shower cap when the conditioner is in.(I picked that up here - thanks, people! :flower:)
When my hair is starting to dry, I gently fingercomb it - not to get any tangles out, more to spread it out a little so that it dries faster. I have to wait a little before doing this.
When it is nearly dry, I can use a wide-tooth comb to detangle and smooth my hair. Mostly I just leave it alone.
When I am going out, or know I am going to do something active while my hair is still damp, I bun it - that way it won't get tangly, and it stays out of the way.

heidihug
July 14th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I never ever detangle when my hair is wet, and my fine hair is tangle central.

I brush carefully before washing, then finger comb a bit afterwards. I oil the ends and use a coney serum on the ears down. Then I go to bed, spreading my hair out above my pillow. When I wake in the morning, it is usually just a bit damp and I can finger comb it into a bun. The next day it is usually fully dry, and I can carefully brush into a sleek updo.

FrannyG
July 14th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Another fine hair here. I brush with a BBB before washing to remove shed hairs and to make sure that I'm tangle-free. I use the CO method, and am very careful to work the conditioner into my hair in a way that will not induce tangles. I never pile my hair on top of my head to scrub the way they do in the TV commercials.

I don't even attempt to finger comb my hair until it is dry. Hair is too fragile when wet, and detangling at that time is likely to cause irreversible stretching to some hairs, which is damaging, or breakage.

After finger combing, then I use a wide toothed horn comb to complete the detangling process.

Lemur_Catta
July 14th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I usually comb and brush with a BBB my hair before shower, then I slightly fingercomb after I put conditioner in...but that's more for distributing the conditioner than for detangling, since the hair is already detangled.
Then after the shower I squeeze the excess water out, wrap my hair in a towel for 5-10 minutes, then finger comb it again. Sometimes I'll leave it till it's dry, sometimes I'll comb with a wide toothed comb while it dries.

The worst detangling I ever have to do is after henna, though.

Jezerellica
July 14th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Thank you so much!! I am so greatful to have so many suggestions! = ) I love LHC!

Khiwanean
July 14th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I use CWC too and I finger comb/brush before getting in the shower and also finger comb the conditioner through my hair during both Cs. That works well to detangle for me. I don't comb or brush my hair when it's wet and don't even finger comb when I'm outside the shower until it's dry. The water just makes my strands stick together too much (I think it's the cohesion of the water molecules).

AstrayStar
July 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
The worst detangling I ever have to do is after henna, though.
Just sharing a discovery that drastically reduced my post henna tangles== I started adding, a tbsp or so of amla powder, a bit of pectin (heated with the tea), and using catnip tea instead of lemon juice. What a difference! (for me anyway) :cheese:

ETA: Forgot to add that I actually comb my hair with a wide tooth comb IN the shower. Not sure if I will be able to get away with that when my hair is longer, but when the water from the shower is running down my hair, the comb just slides right through like butter.

loralie
July 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I just finger comb first, making sure to feel with my fingers when the hair is beginning to tangle and ease off, instead of pulling through the tangles. Often I will start at the tips combing down but moving higher and higher for the next stroke.

Then I use a wide tooth comb but again, I'm really careful that when I feel the hair snarling or tangling I stop.

spidermom
July 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM
As others have already said, I give my hair a good combing or brushing before washing so that I start out tangle free, then I wash it in the shower hanging straight down over my body and only run my fingers in one direction of my scalp (from forehead toward nape) over and over again until I feel I've massaged my shampoo solution all over my scalp. I finish by combing my conditioner through my hair, and if I've been careful enough, there aren't many tangles at this stage. I try to mess with my hair as little as possible while it dries after most washes and don't comb it again until it's dry.

Sometimes I mix it up and wash my hair in a bent over position because I can get a lot more conditioner on the canopy without getting it on my scalp in that position. But it causes more tangles when I return it to the way it naturally falls. If I let my hair dry with tangles, the hairs that were tangled retain a scrunched up texture even after combing and brushing, and those hairs are very grabby, causing even more tangles.

Delila
July 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Oh, yes, I also detangle just before I wash/condition my hair. You can remove a lot of loose hairs that way, which makes detangling much simpler later.

I also detangle a bit with my fingers while my hair is loaded with conditioners. (I'm using the GM system these days, and use both the 60 second and the creme rinse, in sequence, rinsing between. Sometimes if my hair is especially tangle prone, I detangle with each conditioner, and again after my hair dries.)

(Isn't it funny how a routine can become so ordinary that you forget all the steps? :) )

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
This is what my morning routine looks like:

Drink caffeine.
Remove night braid/bun.
Strip. :D
Get in shower.
Wet hair.
Apply conditioner.
CO-wash and finger-comb the big tangles WITH CONDITIONER COATING EVERY HAIR.
Use wide-tooth shower comb to detangle the medium tangles, starting at the bottom and working my way up.
Use wet-styling comb (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Styling-Essentials-Wet-Styling-93565-Comb/14654069) to detangle the smallest tangles, starting at the bottom and working my way up. (I used a regular comb prior to getting my wet-styling comb)
Rinse with water.
Apply ACV rinse.
Squeegee excess water out with my hands.
Apply more conditioner, lightly on the crown and heavier from the ears down.
Run wet-styling comb through from top to bottom, distributing the conditioner evenly and aligning my curls.
Rinse off conditioner drips from shower floor. (trust me, it will be SLIPPERY the next day if you don't!!!)
Modified plop into a Turbie-Twist.
Get dressed. :D
Remove Turbie-Twist, shake my head, and walk out the door for work.

I used to brush the tangles out of my hair before I got in the shower, b/c I'd read that "wet hair is weaker and more prone to damage". Well, I was RIPPING my hair off at the ends when I brushed it... yeah, like THAT'S not going to cause damage! :rolleyes: I actually thought my terminal length was around BSL, b/c it never got longer than that.

I changed to a cone-free, SLS-free, and brush-free routine, and like magic, my hair "started to grow" again! ;)

As you can see from my siggy picture, I have some pretty major curl going on, and my tangles can be pretty extreme! I have had tremendous success with this in-the-shower-and-coated-with-conditioner technique... and I no longer have hairball-rhinos running around on my bathroom floor -- I have hairball-bunnies like normal people do! :p

Rivanariko
July 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I only finger-comb to detangle. My hair is really fine and by the time I've noticed that I hit a snarl with a comb, the hair has already broken. I have to be very careful with my fingers, and even then, I end up breaking quite a few hairs...

I detangle before I get in the shower and try to get as many knots out as I can. Afterwards, I "squeege" out the water from the length, wrap it in a towel and squeeze it a few times, then let the towel sit on my head for a few minutes. I let it air dry almost completely before detangling it again. If I try to detangle while it's wet the hairs stick together more and it's a horrendous MESS. I've never had a problem with the tangles drying into my hair, though it does end up a little bit wavier than when I used to brush it out immediately after getting out of the shower.

Carolyn
July 14th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I see we have similar hair types. My questions to you would be the protein overload one, do you have hard water, and do you rinse with your head upside down? Any of those can make my hair tangle. I usually have no problems with tangles if I detangle and BBB before washing. I don't have a shower so I wash and rinse sitting in the tub. I use a Mebco detangling comb that I got at Sallys. It's an awesome detangling comb. I can almost start at the roots when I comb it after washing and I detangle after only a few minutes wrapped in a towel. I think it's possible to safely detangle wet hair with care. Or I should say it works for me. I CO most of the time and am an occasional cone user.

stkl
July 15th, 2010, 11:37 AM
i just spray detangler on towel dried hair (bonnacure q10, gliss kur, or supersoft kids detangling spray) and then use the body shop wooden comb. my hair is quite prone to knotts and this helps me detangle without tugging or pulling my hair. :cheese:

heynormy
July 15th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I normally detangle before I wash my hair, but sometimes I will detangle while I'm in the shower with loads of conditioner in my hair!! I actually don't even use a comb/brush on a regular basis..finger combing all the way!