PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else wrap their hair regularly after washing?

rosieex3
July 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
If so, what are your results? I used to "plop" my hair, which would define all of my waves and look nice for the day..but it would only look nice the day after washing, after that..a tangled, stringy, dry looking mess! I decided to wrap my hair to make it straight after washing (well cowashing), and I am in LOVE with the results! Although it doesn't straighten my hair 100%, it smooths it (both appearance wise and to the touch), and gives it beautiful loose waves. All of the frizzies around my head by my crown disappear, and my hair just looks ten times healthier. My roots are also very lifted.

Anyway, I just wanted to share because I am so happy about hair wrapping! I never thought my hair would look like this without heat. :D I will stick with this!

Edit: I now have picture results!
Here's my hair naturally: (sorry about the blacked out faces, not fond of these pictures LOL)
http://i36.tinypic.com/2zzmfr8.png

Here's my hair after wrapping (I apologize that I don't have a better picture! Also, this is second day hair, not freshly washed, so it is a bit flattened out even more.):
http://i35.tinypic.com/wm18bn.png

triumphator!
July 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Woah, this sounds amazing! Could you describe the process more?

Dragon
July 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I use to have a special tail for that but my hair is to long for it now and I dont no how to do it with a normal tail. The extra weight on my head would probaly anoy me anyway.

GlassEyes
July 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I plop, or plunk, depending on what you want to call it.

I don't think wrapping would work for my hair. It'd be awesome if it did.

rosieex3
July 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Sure! I think me explainnig this would just confuse you, so here's a link to a video that helped me. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1bIHMpCrKA
I do this when it's wet, and then I let it dry and take it out.

Gabriel
July 13th, 2010, 06:53 PM
I have memories of curly haired relatives wrapping their hair, but it was more similar to this method and they called it a "doobie-do (http://www.ehow.com/video_4757051_wrap-hair-doobie.html)".

If there weren't rollers large enough for their middle section they'd use empty orange juice cans or regular empty cans that were opened on both ends.

I used to think it was amazing how straight it would get their curly hair.

tcheney91
July 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
What do you actually wrap your head in? A scarf? For how long? This seems really interesting.

Deb!
July 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
If so, what are your results?

Odd (in a "finally" way) that you posted this as I have never seen a thread mention wrapping and lately I've been wondering why.

When my hair was long, I wrapped after every washing. It would go 1&1/2 times around my head, from my nape.

It's finally long enough for me to wrap, which I did last week. It almost reached 3/4's around which I think is pretty good, considering I was bald 2 years ago!

It is the easiet way to handle my hair when wet. It always dries smoothly and is a huge help in eliminating the need to blow dry straight.

I'm not sure what you mean when mentioning your huge part; I comb all of my hair back (no part), then start wrapping and pinning.

Edited:I just watched the linked video. I wrap all of my hair at once, starting from the nape (low pony tail area) whereas the girl in the video parted her hair and wrapped sections.

BombaySapphire
July 13th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Thanks for posting that YouTube link rosieex3, I think I will definately have to try her method instead of the one I do. Mine isn't working, it looks too messy the day after but your description especially the part about the lifting of the roots has me totally excited.

spidermom
July 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Sometimes I wrap my hair in a scarf so it doesn't get my shirt wet, but not often enough.

rosieex3
July 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I don't actually wrap my hair in anything, technically, I just pin it down to my scalp and let it dry (the pins don't leave indents in my hair luckily!). And my hair just naturally has a part, that always comes back no matter which way I dry it, very frustrating. I am clipping it down tonight and hopefully it will look non-existent tomorrow morning! And you're welcome, I haven't seen many wrapping threads either.

tcheney91
July 13th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Does anyone have any pictures? Progress and/or results? I'd love to try this, but I'm having a hard time visualizing...

missfortune9335
July 13th, 2010, 07:54 PM
thanks for posting that video, I've never heard of that technique before I'm going to try it next time I wash!

rosieex3
July 13th, 2010, 07:57 PM
tcheney91, Did you see the video link I posted? :) I don't have any pictures of my results, because I'm still experimenting with how long I need to keep my hair wrapped, etc...but I generally get a nice loose wave rather then scrunched looking tighter waves. I bet if I left my hair wrapped until it was completely 100% dry, then I could get it straight.

HintOfMint
July 13th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I've tried this before but never on freshly washed, still damp hair. And my results were comparable to the straightness I get from a blowout. As for doing this on wet hair, when one is done with the wrapping, do you cover it in a towel? Will that even have an effect on drying since the hair is wrapped around one's head? I would like to do this more often after I wash, but I'm afraid it would lengthen the drying time.
Any thoughts?

Deb!
July 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
As for doing this on wet hair, when one is done with the wrapping, do you cover it in a towel? Will that even have an effect on drying since the hair is wrapped around one's head?

Here's the method I use.

I start removing water at the top, by my scalp, holding my hair (over one shoulder) as if it is in a low pony tail, then gently squeeze it as if I were squeezing a sponge, going from top to bottom.

After I do that, I get excess water out of my hair with my towel by wrapping my hair, then squeezing. I then take a paper towel in each hand and wring out as much excess water as I can.

I then comb it all back, making sure it's as smooth as possible, then start to wrap.

I usually wash my hair at night, sometimes putting a towel over my pillow, but not often.

It'll dry fast if I sit in the sun, otherwise, it's usually slightly damp when taking it down.

tcheney91
July 13th, 2010, 09:15 PM
tcheney91, Did you see the video link I posted? :)

Yes, I did. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend or anything. I was just wondering if anyone had pictures of results. I'm curious to see how this turns out! The lady in the video didn't show results, as she was only wrapping to preserve her straight hair (which was really pretty, by the way).

Kaijah
July 13th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Wrapping looks interesting.... I think I'll experiment with it a bit. I'm mostly just curious to see how my hair reacts to that much of a "styling," I doubt it'll get totally straight. Hopefully it won't explode in rage and look like it was brushed out at least. :laugh:

I tried plopping ages ago and it just made my curls angry, so we'll see. XD

rosieex3
July 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Oh no, you didn't offend at all! I figured I'd repost it in case you missed it. :D I don't have any pictures, but it's worth a shot to try out! Results will most likely vary between hair types.

squiggyflop
July 14th, 2010, 09:36 AM
huh i wonder if this would help straighten my spirally ends..

alwayssmiling
July 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I only have shoulder length hair but thought I would give this a try. Gave my hair a light misting and wrapped using a few clips and a silk scarf. Left for an hour or so. It did straighten my hair considerably, like someone else said, its like it has been blowed straight. I really like it actually because when I use GHD's it does over straighten my hair making it look a bit limp and lifeless. Using this method I still have body and bounce to my hair.

Thanks for the thread OP!

Ravenwaves 88
July 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
huh i wonder if this would help straighten my spirally ends..

Oh Squiggy! What i would give for spirally ends!

I may try wrapping......I'm just concerned about combing my hair so much while its wet/damp.

Siava
July 14th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hmm! This looks like a weekend project. :) Thanks for the link!

Cleopatra18
July 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I used to do that but i dont know why after a couple of days my hair felt limb and weak ..? i rly liked how straight it was though because i totaly hate my curls.also it kind of took me a long time to do,i got lazy after a while.btw will the constant use of bobby pins on my ends damage them? they are very thin already.

LHktress
July 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I learned about wrapping here on LHC and I've been doing it ever since. I wash my hair in the evening, wrap it, put a scarf on it and in the morning I wake up with sleeker, more manageable hair. Love it!!

After I unwrap, I part my hair in the opposite sense of the wrapping, so I get lots of volume. And I get some waves on one side of my head only, probably a result of my technique.

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I'm just concerned about combing my hair so much while its wet/damp.

Apply some conditioner. Makes a world of difference...

italianamama
July 14th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Oh Squiggy! What i would give for spirally ends!

I may try wrapping......I'm just concerned about combing my hair so much while its wet/damp.

I air dry to about fifty to seventy-five percent before I mess with it, and it gives me similar results.

Beatrice
July 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm dying to try this, but I'm going to wait until I move out. I got so much flak from walking around in pincurls a couple weeks ago!

Apparently a lot of girls set wrapped hair with a product called foam wrap, which is basically mousse. The one by Proclaim gets rave reviews everywhere I look it up. It does include a film former, but it also has a lot of conditioners, so I think occasional use would be safe, as long as you washed it out.

I hear you can also get more volume by placing one big roller, or a row of rollers on top of the head, near the back.

Personally, I'm not sure I would do this regularly, since it does involve stretching the hair. But that's just my opinion. And it may be so gentle, it doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. BTW, I also love squiggyflop's ends! :)

missfortune9335
July 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I'm trying it right now, I just washed so I'll have to wait until morning to unwrap but I'm dying to see how it turns out!

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Yes, I did. Sorry, I didn't mean to offend or anything. I was just wondering if anyone had pictures of results. I'm curious to see how this turns out! The lady in the video didn't show results, as she was only wrapping to preserve her straight hair (which was really pretty, by the way).

Check out this video -- it's about how to take it down and what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y74IGfR0qCg

I'm curious what this would look like with my hair. I'm currently rehabbing it from my :doh: 'cone goof-up, but after it has calmed down, I might give it a try.

tcheney91
July 14th, 2010, 08:48 PM

Wow, her hair is awesome! I tried to wrap tonight after I CO'd my hair... EPIC failure. Maybe it takes some practice, but I seriously couldn't get it to work. I could get the first half to wrap around my forehead, but then the top sections would fall all over the place, then the whole thing would unravel. I think I need to mutate eight extra arms to do this! I'll have to try again later. I ended up giving up and put in my bandanas for waves. Bleh.

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Wow, her hair is awesome!

I think she's one of those people I love to hate.... their hair looks great even BEFORE they style it!!!! :p

Beatrice
July 14th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Wow, her hair is awesome! I tried to wrap tonight after I CO'd my hair... EPIC failure. Maybe it takes some practice, but I seriously couldn't get it to work. I could get the first half to wrap around my forehead, but then the top sections would fall all over the place, then the whole thing would unravel. I think I need to mutate eight extra arms to do this! I'll have to try again later. I ended up giving up and put in my bandanas for waves. Bleh.

Sorry you had trouble. I've heard wraps can be tricky on hair that's longer than shoulder length. I wonder if more of those flat duckbill clips might help keep it all together? Not much help if you intend to sleep on it, though. Ouch!

Deelight
July 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I learned about wrapping on LHC a couple months ago and it gave me the courage to do away with heat tools as I can still have the look I like without them. In fact, my wavy hair looks even better after a wrap than with heat tools, b/c my hair was damaged to the point that the heat tools just made it frizz. Sometimes I do it after a wash, let it dry halfway, and then wrap. Other times I'll just spritz with water before bed time and then wrap.

The only drawback for me is that this technique requires a little advance planning. I can't spritz it in the morning, wrap, and let it dry while I'm getting ready & going to work. It seems to need the full overnight 8 hours to dry and set.

chargersfan
July 14th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Oooh, must try!

YesitsReal
July 14th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I tried this last night, and the results were ok--I liked the overall shape and volume of my hair, but the pins made some odd waves (kind of like stretched-out braid waves. Does anyone know a remedy for this?

HintOfMint
July 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I have my hair wrapped right now. It took a couple of tries but finally got it to lay smooth. Hopefully it will look nice in the morning.

rosieex3
July 14th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Thank you everyone for keeping this thread going. Wrapping will take a few tries to get it right, I'm still experimenting with it as well. I seem to always take my hair down too soon, when my hair is a little damp (I have no patience) so my hair starts to wave more then I'd like it to. I hope you all get some pretty results when you figure out what works for your hair. :)

alwayssmiling
July 15th, 2010, 03:26 AM

I'm curious what this would look like with my hair. I'm currently rehabbing it from my :doh: 'cone goof-up, but after it has calmed down, I might give it a try.

Thanks for posting this link, her hair is similiar to how mine turned out (mines a fair bit shorter). I think I need to get some clips like she had because I'm worrying that all the bobby pin use could cause a bit of damage when I take them out.

My OH couldn't believe that I had straightened my hair without heat last night (he knows I'm going cold turkey).

Thanks again to OP for showing me this method - seriously I'm over the moon and will hopefully get me to APL without the temptation of hair straighteners and the blow dryer :):)

tcheney91
July 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I think my hair is just too long for this method... I see that most people who do this have hair that is shorter than mine... Bah. I was excited for straight hair.

missfortune9335
July 15th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I tried this last night, and while I think it will take some practice it *does* look nice and "blow dried"

I had problems with my hair falling out of place too so what I did was use a couple of large jaw clips in the front to hold things in place while I wrapped and combed (taking them out when I came to that part, putting them back in etc.) and then I wrapped a large silk scarf arount the back of my head, took the clips out and quick tied the scarf tightly in the front.

Everything stayed wraped, and I didn't use any pins so I don't have any indentations. I'll be trying this again for sure :)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 15th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I also wrapped my hair now :cheese: doing it very carefully because my hair's coarse and falls off immediately (used plenty of bobby pins) I'll post the pic results when i take it down (i'll wait a good while though)

julliams
July 15th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I have very thick hair, and frankly I just spent an hour wrestling with it trying this technique. It's the bit at the crown that I can't deal with. It has nowhere to go. I'm left with very tangly icky feeling hair because I've put too much leave in in an attempt to "stick" it down. Ugh! 12.30am and I'll have to go and wash it again.

I'm sure this is a learning curve thing but honestly, I just think I have too much and too thick hair to have much success with this.

Guess I'm a wurlygirl.

julliams
July 15th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Maybe it takes some practice, but I seriously couldn't get it to work. I could get the first half to wrap around my forehead, but then the top sections would fall all over the place, then the whole thing would unravel. I think I need to mutate eight extra arms to do this! I'll have to try again later. I ended up giving up and put in my bandanas for waves. Bleh.

Yes! This is my exactly problem - the top sections. They made my whole head just unravel too and it's such a tangly mess now.

GRU
July 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
The "Doobie Do (http://www.ehow.com/video_4757051_wrap-hair-doobie.html)" video that Gabriel posted showed them using a HUGE curler for the top part -- they only wrapped the sides/front/back, but not the very tippy-top. I'm assuming that it was for this same reason that you guys experienced with trying to wrap the top?

rosieex3
July 15th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I think my hair is just too long for this method... I see that most people who do this have hair that is shorter than mine... Bah. I was excited for straight hair.

My hair actually seems to be exactly your length. I think with a little practice you can get it down. I use large duck bill clips to hold my hair in place when I don't feel like tying a cotton tshirt around my head and taking the clips out. They don't leave indents in my hair and it holds pretty good. Practice makes perfect. :cheer:

And I'm glad this has been working out for a lot of you! To all who said thanks, you're very welcome!

amaiaisabella
July 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
See, my hair dries too straight without any body, and the ends lie funky. I like separating my hair in two, putting on my leave-in, and then wrapping each side into Princess Leia buns (mine being more like baby buns). I get a little wave, but more importantly, my ends curl under, which I like :)

Dreams_in_Pink
July 15th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Results are in!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4985&pictureid=76976

Well, i'm not too impressed with it. I went from 2c to 1c. I guess curl-setting gives better results on my hair :shrug:

tcheney91
July 15th, 2010, 12:55 PM
My hair actually seems to be exactly your length. I think with a little practice you can get it down. I use large duck bill clips to hold my hair in place when I don't feel like tying a cotton tshirt around my head and taking the clips out. They don't leave indents in my hair and it holds pretty good. Practice makes perfect. :cheer:

Hmm... maybe I'll have to try again... I just got frustrated. I need to get some big ol' clips and some patience...

alabaster
July 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I am going to try this tonight for sure!!! After i read this post this morning i went out a bought a silk hair scarf to wrap my hair in tonight. I have been wearing my hair up so much because it has just been air drying awkwardly with the layers growing out. I have taken a no heat hair vow for the time being so this is a great way to get a straight look without the heat!! Super excited!!! I will see if i can take some after pics tomorrow morning if it turns out well.... wish me luck:D

alwayssmiling
July 15th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Looks good dreams in pink. But your waves are nice too. Its just nice to have a different look sometimes. I think I got my hair a bit straighter than yours, but I did find that it started to kink after a few hours of being out and about, but its very damp and humid outside today. I'm going to experiment with a bit of mousse or perhaps gel spray and will try and post pics tomorrow.

BTW dreams in pink your hair seems to be growing really fast!

Dreams_in_Pink
July 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Looks good dreams in pink. But your waves are nice too. Its just nice to have a different look sometimes. I think I got my hair a bit straighter than yours, but I did find that it started to kink after a few hours of being out and about, but its very damp and humid outside today. I'm going to experiment with a bit of mousse or perhaps gel spray and will try and post pics tomorrow.

BTW dreams in pink your hair seems to be growing really fast!

First, thank you! :)

Well, i'm sure if i went outside, regardless of the humidity, it would get frizzy. My hair's just not compatible with straightening (unless i use a flatiron at 400C degrees!) hence i'm not too positive about straightening methods. Looking forward for others' results though!

and no, it actually grows slower than average. I just never trim the ends.

Deelight
July 15th, 2010, 03:05 PM
To keep the crown from getting tangled, try placing the palm of your hand on the crown when you're doing the comb-over with the other hand to guide hair around that area. That is what works for me.

FlowFlow
July 15th, 2010, 07:44 PM
OMGoddess!!!!! I love doobie wraps, but didn't know what they were called in english! My family is mixed and it works great for both kinky and soft hair. My kinky family members usually do it following a roller set and like to sleep in them at night to help keep the style in between roller sets or visits to the salon. I'm one of the soft haired and like to sleep in one overnight to get a blow dried look.

Doobies are also great to protect a style between home and the event you are headed to. Helps protect from wind, rain, humidity, etc, especially if coupled with cold AC blast in the car!!! When you get to where your going, just take it down in the car and run your fingers through it. Viola!!!
:cheese:

FlowFlow
July 15th, 2010, 07:49 PM
OOPS!!! Excuse the grammar mistake!!! Your vs. You're!!!! I'm so fired! :hmm:

alwayssmiling
July 16th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Here are my before and after pics!

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/alwayssmiling36/P1030474.jpg
Freshly washed, air dried, no product other than leave in. Its a windy day so I was going for the dishevelled look!

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af336/alwayssmiling36/P1030484.jpg

After 2 hours of being wrapped, I took my hair down after an hour and wrapped the opposite way to try and get an even look. Feels soft and bouncy and frizz free. It looks longer and its also much shinier. Not poker straight but more of a natural look. I like!

kristymarie87
July 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I like it! I jsut can get a hang of the wrapping. I get in a big knot!!

Can someone maybe post pics of how they do it?

Dreams_in_Pink
July 16th, 2010, 05:29 AM
alwayssmiling, that's gorgeous!!!

alabaster
July 16th, 2010, 05:31 AM
ok so i tried it last night and it was a huge failure... I think it was due to the fact that i slept on it and things got moved around even when covered with a silk scarf. I think i will try again another day in the morning and then take it down before bed to see what it looks like...

julliams
July 16th, 2010, 05:48 AM
alwayssmiling - I think yours worked really well but I have to admit I just LOVE your natural waves. I guess you have the best of both styles now!

alwayssmiling
July 16th, 2010, 06:17 AM
alwayssmiling - I think yours worked really well but I have to admit I just LOVE your natural waves. I guess you have the best of both styles now!

Thank you. My waves and curls are getting better as it gets longer. I still have days when it just looks a mess and I get so tempted to whip the heat straighteners out to get it sorted, its nice to know that I could try this first on those bad hair days.

windinherhair
July 16th, 2010, 06:57 AM
I wrap my hair in a towel when it is wet, but I remove the towel after 10 minutes. I let it air dry before I put it back up again before bed, otherwise it wouldnt dry.

Prettyeyes23
July 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM
After showering I use a beach towel(they are thinner and aren't so bulky). Hold it underneath your hair longwise so the other end of the towel is at the back of your knees. fold one side of the towel over the hair and then roll the other side of the towel around the towel and hair. I then wrap the rolled hair/towel combo over my forehead back down around my head and back up around to just tuck in the side of the towel. Doing this process my hair gets all the excess water out and since I had de knotted my hair in the shower it stays de knotted when I take the towel off. More time to style-Less time working through more knots. Does anyone do the same thing?:confused:

Cleopatra18
July 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I just tried this today when i washed my hair.i havent take it down yet but i dont think i like it..way too much handling of wet hair and i lost so much hair trying to put my hair in a wrap.also my hair felt too long to be put in it.and the crown part was a mess.I am still waiting to see how it will turn out thou.

TinaDenali
July 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
alwayssmiling, that looks GREAT! And it looks totally natural. Love it.

alwayssmiling
July 16th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your compliments. I just think its great that there is a heat free option for people who are going through the shoulder length awkward stage. Its not as convenient and certainly not as straight as hair straighteners, but it has certainly relaxed my hair. It did take me a few goes to get the hang of it and lots of clips. Will go shopping tomorrow for some hair friendly clips I think.

Also I tried it with a bit of mousse this evening and it seems to of held quite well.

rosieex3
July 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM
alwayssmiling, Your results look absolutely amazing!

Right now I am sitting here with my hair wrapped, this time I decided to actually put some effort into it, and wrap it tightly both with duckbill clips and a shirt tied around my hair so everything stays into place. I'm excited to see the results tomorrow morning, since the previous wraps I've done were a bit loose and falling out (since I didn't have enough clips, now that I've found the rest I do!) Hopefully there will be no indents and it will come out nice. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. :)

Oh, and I agree that the downside of this is having to really comb your hair while it's wet, but if I'm getting great results I think its a sacrifice worth doing!

WyrdWay
July 17th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I always sweat too much for my wraps to do any good ( to sleep in them) :( And I don't have a bonnet dryer.
If I tried to just let it dry while awake that would take FOREVER, and it is so curly the curls would start popping out unless I tied it down with a scarf... which adds to drying time... and would cause my scalp to sweat so it becomes a viscous cycle. I will have to stick to my two dutch braids and the my cinnamon bun in the morning :)

dfotw
July 17th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Normally, I wrap my hair in an old t-shirt for five minutes or so after the shower, to stop it from dripping, and then put it up in a scrunchie and let it dry for the night...

But I saw this thread yesterday and, inspired by alwayssmiling's sucess, and because I had just bought huge hair-clips in clearance at Claire's, I decided to give 'serious' hair-wrapping it a try.

I heavily misted my hair, combed out the knots, and separated it into two halves at the nape. I wrapped the left half towards my right, *over* the right half, and clipped. Then, I wrapped the right half towards my left, as it was already kept in place by the other half. This meant that I didn't get any weird bumps and that my hair wouldn't get odd at the top.

I wrapped in a silk scarf and went to sleep. I was worried the clips would be uncomfortable (they're like this (http://www.u-handbag.com/images/hairclip.gif), but almost four-inch long), but they weren't, I barely felt them and they didn't come off. The scarf got loose in the middle of the night, and I found it under the bed in the morning, but I didn't get much frizz anyway.

This is a pic of what my hair looks like air-dried (left) and what it looked like this morning, after I unwrapped it:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9123/lengthshotjuly2010.jpg http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1015/wrappedhair.jpg http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1333/wrappedhair2.jpg

It's not stick-straight, but considering the stubborness of my curls and the fact that this is my first try, it's pretty impressive. My hair is much more manageable like this! (and my hemline looks seriously lopsided like this, but it isn't, it's just the camera angle and my stubborn shorter length on the sides!!! ETA: a pic showing my hemline better! Uffff!)

I am going to give it a try with sopping wet hair one of these days, to see what it does...

julliams
July 18th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I've been watching youtube after youtube on this subject and one girl I saw just grabbed her hair and started wirling it around her head with her hand clamped down on the crown. She didn't appear all that gentle with it but by this stage I'm feeling a little that way myself.

Anyway I tried it, got it to sit ok (didn't care what the crown looked like and used my BBB to get it to sit flattest) and then I just grabbed this old mesh top (like soft tulle) that I used to wear (a LONG time ago) and used the arms to tie it over my head (no pins!!!). My hair was about 70% dry at this point - top moreso than the bottom. I'll see how it goes. I don't think I'll get the same results as some of those videos but it will be straighter than it normally is so that's fine.

julliams
July 18th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hmmm - looked only just ok. Not that smooth shiny look that many girls seem to get on youtube. I ended up using the hairdryer on it "the old way" which was fine because I normally air dry and once in a while won't be too damaging.

I think I'm going to stick to my wurls - way easier and no brushing wet hair which really didn't feel right to be honest.

CrisDee
August 3rd, 2010, 05:37 AM
Wanted to post the results of my first attempt at this hair wrapping thing.

The downside is that it required a revamp of my entire day. Well the work part stayed the same, but morning and evening had to flip. I used to do my workout in the morning, then shower, blow dry (cool setting), makeup and go to work. Doing the wrap thing, however, I had to do my workout after work, then shower, watch about half hour of TV while it air dried just a bit, then I wrapped it. Went about the rest of my evening, then went to bed. I was a bit concerned that having something on my head would keep me from sleeping well, but that didn't seem to be a problem. Woke up regular time (in case it looked awful and I had to CO it and start over), took it out and combed it.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4379&pictureid=78424

It's a bit flatter than when I blow-dry, I did get a couple bobby pin dents, there's that random wispy thing on the right, and for some unexplained reason it looks shorter - but over all, I'm pretty pleased with the results. :) I'm gonna see if I can make this my regular routine so I can completely give up the blow dryer.

TrudieCat
August 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
CrisDee, it looks so pretty and shiny! Also, you seem to have very good time management skills. ;) I am very impressed with all of your planning ahead! :D

rosieex3
August 7th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Creeping on this thread again, and now I finally have pictures to add to it! CrisDee: I love your results!

All photos posted in this thread look great. :)

white line
August 7th, 2010, 07:56 PM
I think I'm going to try this method on DD11 tomorrow. She wants to wear her hair straight and I no longer want to use the flat iron on her. Hope it turns out well cuz Monday is her first day of school:)

rosieex3
August 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Good luck! I hope she likes her results. :)

lillylonghair
August 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM
We learned how to wrap in beauty school and I loved it! I don't know if this was mentioned or not but in the method I learned,you part the hair in whichever direction you normally part it. My teacher also told me to wrap it in a silk scarf for even less frizzies.

I wouldn't normally do this but this may be something I try when I go back to work on days I wear my hair down.

lillylonghair
August 7th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Oh and sorry I didn't watch the video but I read a few of you talking about rollers and sections and such. I'm familira with that method. I basically just learned how to brush the hair in a certain way around the whole head. No sections or anything like that.

KittyLost
August 8th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Oooo I must give this a try! Finally something I can do on short hair haha. I'm tired of putting my hair back in a ponytail because I can't do anything else with it!

CrisDee
August 8th, 2010, 05:51 AM
This has been the best hair discovery ever for me - it's working incredibly well! The hardest part for me is showering before bed - I'm used to showering first thing in the morning, and it's hard to change such ingrained habits at my advanced age :p

CurlAhead
August 8th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I am soooo frustrated right now! :mad: My hear gets alot of tangles, and it just wont stay where it should and gaaah!

Hair comes from nowhere, to say Heeeey :cheese:just to annoy me..
(Or something like that)
Haha, practise and take a deep breath! :D

white line
August 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Well, just got DD11 hair wrapped and sent off to bed. Was actually fairly easy to do for her. Obviously it would be much harder to do on myself. Now I have my fingers crossed and hope for good results in the morning.

CurlAhead
August 9th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Hmmm.. I think I did it wrong, this morning it looked like I've been brushing out my hard braid waves.. My hear got pretty big, fluffy and so not even near straight. :p

white line
August 9th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Well, I think we can call our first attempt a success! DD11 hair came out mostly straight but still had a little body. Not as straight as when using an iron, but I actually like it better. It is not poufy which is what I think she is mainly looking for. She was very happy and that is what counts.

mariika
August 9th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I am trying this out right now. apparently it doesn't look too good - on video girls had dead straight hair after this but mine won't be so straight, that's sure. we'll see in a couple of hours.

eiwonob
August 9th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Oh yes, wrapping! :)
My mom, grandma, great-grandma and beyond, all of them used to wrap their hair, at times where irons and blowfry didn't exist. Thanks for this thread, I have forgot this technique, I will try as soon as I get some hair clips!

ericthegreat
August 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I actually know for a fact that many of these girls actually have their hair blown out straight or flat ironed already before they have their hair wrapped. Way back when I was in cosmetology school, many of the black girls would sit each other down and using a comb and lots of bobby pins, they would all wrap each other's hair. But you see, their hair was already straightened with a relaxer and blow styled and flat ironed into a straight style beforehand. One of the girls explained to me that they wrap their hair not really to straighten their hair but to help maintain their straight hairstyle while they sleep. Simply wrapping their hair alone would NOT straighten their hair.

So for those of you who aren't getting a really nice, straight look from wrapping your hair don't worry, its not because you are doing something wrong. Wrapping alone will not straighten your hair perfectly, it will just smooth out your curls or waves if you have them.

KittyLost
August 10th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I tried this last night on wet hair and got pretty good results. I had it in from 7.30pm-Midnight, my hair was still a bit wet but I just pulled my hair round my head and went to bed anyway.

Although I struggled wrapping the ends, they seems to just fan out on top of my head and round the back, maybe I did something wrong. I started from the nape of my neck and wrapped round to the right to accomadate for my fringe I used 4bobby pins and a clip to clip the ends.

Results are in my experiments album, I'll try and get a "before" picture up at some point.

It looks like it has been blowndry and the part that I couldn't wrap properly has kinked out which I guess I could just straighten to even it out (although that is defeating the purpose of wrapping haha). For a first attempt I think it worked pretty well, usually when I leave it to dry naturally I get wavies and half ringlets around the front that gradually straightens out as it gets to the back so that its just bumpy haha.

white line
August 10th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I rewrapped DD11 hair last night for her to sleep in. It was dry and thought we would do it just to protect her style. This morning we took it down and it was straighter than yesterday even though it was put up dry. She likes it even better today so I think we have a winner. BTW her hair is 2c/3a APL

Laceandboots
August 10th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Cool, this is my first post haha x)
I had to try this as soon as I saw this thread, thank you! My hair looks better now then after I flat iron it!

My hair is 2c naturally :) Also when I normally dry it it's all frizzy at the roots and doesn't look very nice at all. So I normally have to flat Iron.

This is the result I get normally from flat ironing:
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx150/taraomalley_2010/Picture0006.jpg

And this is the result I got from wrapping :) I'm so happy with it and I think it looks better then flat ironing it because it has more body...
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx150/taraomalley_2010/Picture0024.jpg

GlassEyes
August 10th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I'm trying this again now. We'll see how it goes.

I'm not foolish enough to think this'll make my hair entirely straight, but maybe it'll cut down on the time I need to use a flatiron...

CrisDee
August 12th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Is there any harm in doing this every night? I am absolutely LOVING the way it's coming out - for the first time since I got my hair hacked off, I actually like my hair! :cheese: I've been showering before bed, COing my hair, then wrapping my hair in a microfiber "turbie" for the night. In the morning I take off the turbie, run a wood quill brush through it, and it looks AWESOME! But is there any chance this could somehow be damaging to my hair? Like maybe wrapping it wet every night could dry it out or something? Last night I put a teensy bit of coconut oil on before wrapping, just in case - today it looks as fabulous as ever. I'm hoping to be able to cut down even the CO washings once my hair is long enough to bun, but for now I'm actually liking the way my hair looks :)

PrincessBob
October 19th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I might try it, just to see what it is like, I don't need to straighten, have too much volume as it is and cannot comb or brush wet hat, so it will be a completely different process, but it might do something cool?

bluesnowflake
October 19th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Sounds like a good idea- how exactly do you do it?

bluesnowflake
October 19th, 2010, 03:26 PM
sorry- just saw the video link-no need to respond to the above question.

Slinks
April 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah I was hoping she would show a before picture ..
ETA: you can see what her hair looks like after she's washed it, I posted the above while I was watching :-) and she is none too gentle with that comb !! lol

oh .. k.. she blowfrys and straightens !! yikes !! I'm watching the second youtube clip .. why, cos I don't need to, straighten my hair .. was just curious to what you guys were talking about :-)

I cringed seeing all that steam !!

her hair does look so nice after all that tho ..

Miss Catrina
April 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I've tried this a couple times and it's only come out so-so. My hair always ends up asymmetrical the next morning, I still have to iron and everything. Part of it might be that I have a hard time keeping a scarf over it when I sleep.

x0h_bother
April 12th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I agree with Ericthegreat- I was very puzzled by the use of the videos showing black girls with relaxed and already straightened hair.
I liked this thread on it- there are some nice pictures http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=37395.
For me, I'd be concerned about my hair drying fully overnight, frizz, and breakage (I don't use a comb regularly).

gogirlanime
April 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Sure! I think me explainnig this would just confuse you, so here's a link to a video that helped me. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1bIHMpCrKA
I do this when it's wet, and then I let it dry and take it out.

Someone recommended this thread and WOW this should work perfectly for me to get my hair as straight as possible without heat! Thank you!

Springlets
September 29th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Trying this tonight! I'm so excited. I may not have done it totally perfect, but I will be happy with the slight waves like in the OP's. :)

Mi-chan666
September 29th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I don't actually wrap my hair, but I sometimes wear a ponytail with many elastics all the way down to the base, to keep the ends from curling so much (my hair is pretty straight, but my ends always curl and make my hair look SO much shorter than it is. :( ).

That doesn't help with the frizz, though, so I might try wrapping next time I wash. :)

Springlets
September 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Results! It came out straighter than I thought it would, though still not perfectly straight. I wrapped it about 3 hours before bed, then slept 9 hours, so about 12 hours total. Wasn't totally dry when I unwrapped it, but dry enough that it wouldn't start to get frizzy or curly. I didn't use pins or anything, but my hair didn't come out under the t-shirt wrap during the night so i don't think I'll get them. I'm very satisfied with the results and I'm sure I'll get even better with practice. My hair is rather damaged from dye (I'm growing it out though!) and so my curls don't curl as they once did and so i'd prefer to wear my hair like this until my hair is in better condition and the true curls return. :)

damaged curls
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/user37452_pic110081_1313015951-1.jpg

Wrapping results! (I also put medium ash blonde dye on the dyed parts last night)
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/232323232-fp36-nu6957-632-258-WSNRCG34-386994-335nu0mrj.jpg