PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question

BlndeInDisguise
May 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM
This would probably never happen to us, because I'm sure we all have tons of bottles of conditioners sitting around, and while they may not be our favorite they ARE there.

Anyway, my question is, if you suddenly realized that you ran out of conditioner, and you just HAD to wash your hair, what would you do? Oil afterwards? Use aloe?

Sceleste
May 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I would probably just do a scalp wash, since I usually don't use conditioner at all after a scalp wash. But if I had to wash the entire lenght of hair, or at least wet it, I would oil the ends before and after shampooing, and would maybe use a herbal rinse as a final rinse.

Leisha
Hehe, you're right, it's unlikely to happen to me any time soon :D but if I ran out of conditioner, I'd put aloe vera and coconut oil on my hair after washing :agree:
(I put that on as a leave-in often anyway, after washing and conditioning (or if my hair feels dry in between washes))

Garnett
I guess I can't answer this one, because I'm a CO washer hehe

k_hepburn
May 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I wonder, if push came to shove and you knew you were facing the big frizz if washing without conditioning, you could just use some kind of a body lotion as conditioner. Rinsing VERY thoroughly, of course.

Greetings

katharine

wintersun99
May 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM

BlndeInDisguise
May 15th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I wonder, if push came to shove and you knew you were facing the big frizz if washing without conditioning, you could just use some kind of a body lotion as conditioner. Rinsing VERY thoroughly, of course.

Greetings

katharine

Usually lotion has 'cones in it, and if you're not a "cone-head"....though it would probably be better than instant dreads. ;)

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Awww, can't really answer since I was CO for forever and am now trying out catnip. :p
Back in the day, I used to oil after washing if I didn't have condish.

I actually have something called "hair lotion" that could have probably been used in a crunch, but I don't like using it anyway, it might have been fine for washing out, though.

Elle
May 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I'd do a scalp wash, too. :agree: No conditioner on my hair is bad news.

TheBlondeApple
May 15th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'd do a beer- or a vinegar-rinse.
Anja

sapphire-o
May 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Well I don't use conditioners so that wouldn't be a problem for me. :)

Unofficial_Rose
May 15th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'd go for vinegar rinse.

Then aloe on towel-dried hair, followed by a smidge of Kimo's fantastic 1/3 shea butter, 1/3 coconut oil, 1/3 aloe vera gel lotion.

Hmm - might do this tomorrow actually to save all that rinsing of conditioner in the morning...;)

Wind Dragon
May 15th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Coconut oil -- heavy before washing, light afterward. Done it before and probably will again.

AlleyKitten
May 15th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I'd try WO and see if it got my hair presentable at least. If not, I'd use less of my dilute shampoo than usual, then do a vinegar rinse, oil the ends in the shower and rinse it a bit, then oil more once I got out. It would probably look kind of manky... conditioner is a big part of my routine!

Eden Iris
May 15th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Vinegar rinse, then oil on the ends. And plan on braiding every day until I could get hold of some conditioner.

eadwine
May 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I would simply go without the condish for one time. *shrug* :)

Islandgrrl
May 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hey, this happened to me 2 weeks ago! I was in the shower with the intention of doing a CO and I grabbed what I thought was a bottle of conditioner, squeezed some into my hands and applied to my head. Turns out it was shampoo and there was NO conditioner anywhere.

No choice but to go with it. I was not able to fingercomb my hair while it was wet or even very damp. I lightly oiled the ends and put it up into a bun to dry, and my hair was really, really fabulous when it dried. And it was finger-combable dry, and had a really nice, soft, silky feel to it (I do not have soft, silky hair as a general rule).

I've repeated this just to see what would happen and got the same really great results.

I'm not sure you really need to do anything other than wash it.

Anje
May 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I'd WO wash. Since I usually CO, it really would be my other option. Shampoo without conditioner is rather horrible to contemplate, with my hair.

DotDotDot
May 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I would steal my mom's or sister's conditioner!

cutastrophe
May 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM
This has happened to me. I do a baking soda wash and vinegar rinse. Using regular shampoo without conditioner afterwards is a baaaad thing for my hair.

Chromis
May 15th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I no longer own any conditioner or liquid shampoo, shampoo bars all the way in my shower!

Alun
May 15th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I would steal my mom's or sister's conditioner!

Yep, I'd use DW's conditioner if I ran out, and that's not hypothetical!

BlndeInDisguise
May 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I'm surprised how many of you said an ACV rinse. I've never found that to be especially moisturizing, and certainly not "lubricating".

MusingFrog
May 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'd use coconut oil.

dukkelisa
May 15th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I never use conditioner. I wash and oil.

IdiotBird
May 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I would never not have conditioner--I always condition. But if it did happen, I'd probably rub a drop of EVOO on my ends.

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I no longer own any conditioner or liquid shampoo, shampoo bars all the way in my shower!

I've still not tried them. I really will one day...

I'm surprised how many of you said an ACV rinse. I've never found that to be especially moisturizing, and certainly not "lubricating".

:happydance:

Oh, and I always forget to do an acv rinse, so I wouldn't know. :)

Masara
May 16th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Coconut oil -- heavy before washing, light afterward.

Me too. Certainly not ACV, it makes my hair dry and frizzy.

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Me too. Certainly not ACV, it makes my hair dry and frizzy.

Hmmm, it's so interesting how many crazily different reactions there are to ACV.

rhanee
May 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I usually don't use conditioner, only shampoo and vingar rinse, so it wouldn't be a problem for me.

BlndeInDisguise
May 16th, 2008, 06:54 AM
I've still not tried them. I really will one day...

:happydance:

Oh, and I always forget to do an acv rinse, so I wouldn't know. :)

You must try them, they're awesome! I can't get away with not using conditioner with them like some people, though.

ACV rinses are great, too, for a light clarifier. Another thing you must try. ;)

savi
May 16th, 2008, 06:56 AM
If it were only one time I might just do a diluted shampoo (or come to LHC and try to learn propher scalp wash technique :lol:) and aloe or kimberlily's defrizz spay as a leave in and oil the lenght when it's dry. I might even do a heavy oiling before washing.

n3m3sis42
May 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I don't use conditioner, except as a way to remove henna mud the last couple of times I've applied my henna. My "conditioner" is an ACV rinse, and I only use shampoo bars to wash my hair.

We're about to find out what happens when I go without my "conditioner" (i.e. the ACV rinse), because I was already in the shower with my hair all lathered up when I realized that I'd forgotten to refill my ACV rinse bottle. I decided that now was as good a time as any to find out if I could go without it. I detangled in the shower (under a cold water rinse) instead of waiting until after, just in case the lack of an ACV rinse made it weird to comb while wet. It's now up in a microfiber towel, and I'll let you know what happens when it dries. :)

n3m3sis42
May 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
And the answer is... it doesn't appear to have made any difference whatsoever! :)

BlndeInDisguise
May 16th, 2008, 06:29 PM
And the answer is... it doesn't appear to have made any difference whatsoever! :)

Lol! I guess maybe you can save some money on ACV now! :p

n3m3sis42
May 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Lol! I guess maybe you can save some money on ACV now! :p

Maybe so! I'm not sure if it's just with this particular shampoo bar or if I'll need to do an ACV rinse every now and then (some people get waxy buildup with shampoo bars if they don't use an ACV rinse, I think). But I'm definitely going to have to do some further experimentation now. :)

Nevermore
May 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I'd water only, probably. I've had a good bit of success with it lately, when I use fairly hot water, then cold water, it makes my hair fluffy and nice.

LadyPolaris
May 17th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I'd probably use a moisturizing shampoo bar (like CV Extra Honey Beer & Egg). Or, if I had to wash with regular shampoo, I'd mix a little batch of leave in after I got out of the shower, something like 3 parts diluted vinegar rinse, 1 part pure aloe vera, plus a little bit of shea butter, a tiny bit of vegetable glycerin and 2 drops of lavender EO for scent, and I'd slather it on the hair length... I'm not sure if it would work, but it beats no conditioner at all. :o

sahiba
May 17th, 2008, 04:20 AM
I would use diluted shampoo and apply oil later. Though hopefully it never would happen.

Buddaphlyy
May 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I'd honestly probably just let my hair be dirty. WO or shampoo and oil would definitely NOT cut it. My hair doesn't understand the concept of "there is no conditioner".

ajr
May 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I've had this happen to me more then once. Travel a lot and I'm absent minded, ususally I'll have some kind of oil on hand douse the ends before washing then lightly oil afterwards. I might try scalp washing next time.

TheSpottedCow
May 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I'd comb it out really good beforehand (and I don't use combs anymore... Generally because my conditioner gets out any stubborn tangles and then I finger comb) and then maybe oil it before washing.

I've washed my hair without conditioner in the past, while my hair was in the same or similar condition as it is now (virgin but naturally dry) and it comes out very dry but not to the point of straw.

prosperina
May 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I'm a bit obsessed so before I even take my clothes off to get in the shower I pick out the conditioners I will be using. If there were none, there's a grocery store within walking distance so I'd go get a few bottles.

If there were no conditioners available ever ever again because fill in the blank bad thing had happened, I'd let my hair be dirty then use jojoba oil as a conditioner. Heavy oil before wash, light after. Although most likely if the world were in such a state that no conditioners were available, I'd have bigger worries.

:embarrassed: Sorry. I'm not good with hypotheticals; I tend to over think them.

Adrienne
May 19th, 2008, 09:30 PM
I'd honestly probably just let my hair be dirty. WO or shampoo and oil would definitely NOT cut it. My hair doesn't understand the concept of "there is no conditioner".

ummmm yeah ITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adrienne
May 19th, 2008, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=prosperina;114863]I'm a bit obsessed so before I even take my clothes off to get in the shower I pick out the conditioners I will be using. If there were none, there's a grocery store within walking distance so I'd go get a few bottles.

Also ITA!!!!! this is me excatly!!!

Gumball
May 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
If I didn't have conditioner and it was a wash day (hypothetically placing myself in the shower under the water before realizing the lack of product) I'd say it just morphed into a water only day followed by some oiling after. No biggie really. :)

lady G
May 20th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I would squeal then desperately try and find some i am a conditioner junkie lol if none available at all say a world conditioner crisis had struck!!!!!!! i would go and buy an egg an avocado and some mayo i would mash it up and use that after my shampoo:)