PDA

View Full Version : thick hair help

laurathexplora
July 13th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I'm looking for some advice on what to do with my hair. I always end up hitting this point and get frustrated, and then I chop it all off or get layers. I’m glad you’re all here to help me. :)

I haven't had a trim in a couple months and the ends are snagging on each other so I need to do something fast to prevent further damage. I have very thick almost straight hair. It's almost to BSL. I have a layer half way between SL and APL that was cut in a while back on the advice from my previous hairdresser. I hate it. The way the layer falls on my back (or awkwardly falls forward over my shoulder) is not aesthetically pleasing in line with the full length. It was originally cut to chin length to match the length of my growing-out bangs. That was even worse. She also gave me a major thinning with a razor-comb to make it more manageable. That was back in December 2009. So now my hair has thickened up a lot and the layer is slowly catching up to my full length. It seems like my hair doesn't like layers unless they are styled with heat to make them straight. I don't use heat so that won't work. No matter where the hair is cut, it does a little wiggle at the end so it looks messy and damaged on the ends. Hairdressers always recommend layers to thin out my hair and I always end up hating them.

So.... what should I do? :confused:

Grow out the layer slowly while getting micro trims to my longest ends?
Grow out the layer even slower while getting micro trims to the length and the layer?
Grow out the layer with trims and get a layer in between the two to make it flow and cascade better?
Do some major S&D only so that I don’t lose any length and but up with a little taper?

I love the way fairy tale ends look, but I’ve never had them so I’m not sure how they would look on me. I think it would help with making the ends fit into updos better if I didn’t have a blunt hem. I also have to take into account the thickness of my hair. It is so thick that sometimes it's hard to manage. I love that I have thick hair, I just don't know what to do with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Grow hair grow!!!!!

Darkhorse1
July 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I prefer blunt hemline for my hair. I've had all types--fairy tale, U and V shaped, and the blunt works the best for my needs.

I'd ask yourself what you like to see? Do you were your hair up a lot? I wear mine in a braid a lot so the blunt hemline looked the best for my needs/to be professional.

If growing out layers, I did min-trims. I mean, a half an inch when I noticed the ends looking fried.

Best of luck

LorelaiAmethyst
July 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I would grow out the layers and trim every so often to even out the layers. Since you're doing updos (and really pretty ones, might I add) layers sometimes get in the way. Layers are usually (in my experience) used to give the hair volume and/or curl. Sometimes with thick hair, it makes it hard to manage when you have different layers.

I would forgo the layers and get it to one length. It will probably be easier to manage, and won't be as wiggly at the ends. Then, you can decide what kind of hemline you want. :)

Also, if you always end up hating them, why bother getting them? :wink:

spidermom
July 13th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I would get regular trims, more off the bottom than the layers. The shortest part will eventually catch up to the longest this way. (This is how my hair stylist took me from short and layered to long with no layers.)

klcqtee
July 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM
A bit of a taper on thick hair can make updos easier. Some updos that you're too thick to do yet are within reach thanks to a nice taper. I say grow out that layer by trimming your length an inch or so every couple months. You'll still gain length and your layer will catch up. Once everything is closer to one length (and longer) your hair will be easier to deal with.

laurathexplora
July 14th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the advice. I love how everyone's so supportive here and can keep me on the straight and narrow. I need it sometimes. I'm a longhaired girl living in a shorthaired world.

I'm on my way to go to the salon right now. The person that I've been going to for a couple years now is very ill and unable cut hair. So, I'm going to new place. I hope they don't try to trim off more than I tell them or we're going to have a problem. ;) Thanks again.

cindy58
July 14th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I think if I were you and troubled by the currently awkward layer and the thickness, I would have a better layered cut done. Might as well look good during the growing process. After that, if I decided I didn't want layers, I would grow them out gradually. Maybe you'll always want them because of the thickness issue though.

laurathexplora
July 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM
So this is what it looks like after the trim. I had an inch taken off. Now I'm thinking I should've gone for and half inch. Ugh! I hate losing length! At least I'm closer to getting rid of that layer though.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5493&pictureid=76969

I'm now thinking that I will get micro-trims until I get to waist and then S&D only after that. The layer can do whatever it wants. (I'm angry at it right now :/ )

klcqtee
July 17th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I actually don't notice the layer so much. It just gives your hair a little bit of body. By the way, I like your little avatar. Your buns look so nice!

GoddesJourney
July 17th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Don't let anyone ever touch a razor comb to your hair, ever again. Your hair is not *too thick* it's beautiful. Anything that speeds up things like split or velcro ends is just impeding progress. Trim up once a month or two and microtrim the layer every two months to three months if you feel it's necessary. It's a short enough layer at this point that it more adds shape than anything.

Kristin
July 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Don't let anyone ever touch a razor comb to your hair, ever again. Your hair is not *too thick* it's beautiful.

Agreed. My thickness and layers annoy me, too, but I will never again get a razored cut.

I think your hair looks great and the layer isn't noticeable. I have layers from APL to waist. :mad: