PDA

View Full Version : Part conundrum

moominhapa
July 13th, 2010, 09:57 AM
So I'm looking for some tips on keeping a part neat, especially for updos that require a part in the back. The crown braid, for example, is something I've been working on lately. I can get the braid itself to look pretty good, but I wish the part looked nicer. I've been looking enviously at the Dreamweaver (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples/braid_examples_crowns.htm) pictures where the hair is all gathered neatly from one center point. Of course, I know that it's much harder to do these things on your own head, but still!

With the crown braid, I think part of my problem is the way I tilt my head so that the hair doesn't fall in the right place when I gather it. I do half the braid upside down and half right side up, so when it's done the hair around the part is askew. So any crown braid tips would be welcome.

My other general issue is that I have a really stubborn spot on the back of my head where my hair wants to be parted and stick up no matter how I've combed it, wet or dry. I don't like the spot it's chosen (it's off to the right in the back). I know a lot people have a spot like this, but it annoys me that no matter where I part my hair, this one spot always stands out. Because of the way my hair grows there, my scalp shows through and gets in the way of neat lines. In pictures with a flash it can almost look like a little bald spot! Grrr. And the hair that grows there is super coarse. I've basically accepted that this is the way my hair is going to grow out of my head, but is there anything I can do to disguise it? Do any of you have this problem?

triumphator!
July 13th, 2010, 10:19 AM
I have what my mom calls a "double crown" on the back of my head. I think if I had a buzz cut it would look like a swirly of hair going one way and another swirly of hair going the other way right next to it. Regardless, I either always have a bump or little bald spot depending on how the hair is laying there. The only way I have found to fix it is to part my hair on the other side of my head, so that there is a lot of hair covering the double crown.

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 12:26 PM
We call that spot a cowlick... like a cow came and licked the back of your head!

DS used to call it his "tornado thingy" when he was little, as in, "Mom, can you come fix my stupid tornado thingy!"

Sorry I can't help you with the braiding advice... I can just barely do an English braid on myself -- I'm a braidtard!

littlenvy
July 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM
We call that spot a cowlick... like a cow came and licked the back of your head!

DS used to call it his "tornado thingy" when he was little, as in, "Mom, can you come fix my stupid tornado thingy!"

Sorry I can't help you with the braiding advice... I can just barely do an English braid on myself -- I'm a braidtard!
OMG GRU! You made me laugh out loud in my office, now everyone is looking at me like I've lost my mind. LOL!!
I think I may be one of those braidtards too :o

As to the cowlick, I have one too and to make things worse I have a very flat head just below it. ( I was a preemie baby and left to sleep flat on my back for the first two months of my life). Not a very attractive combo.
The only thing that kind of works for me is either pulling it back really tight like in a ponytail or making that area extra dry. For some reason the dryer the hair the less cowlick there is.
That's all I've got.

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
OMG GRU! You made me laugh out loud in my office, now everyone is looking at me like I've lost my mind. LOL!!
I think I may be one of those braidtards too :o

We should start a Braidtard Club! :lol:

My kid is lucky he's a boy... we just keep that part of his hair VERY short so it doesn't stick up!

Alvrodul
July 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM
We should start a Braidtard Club! :lol:

My kid is lucky he's a boy... we just keep that part of his hair VERY short so it doesn't stick up!
I am another one for the braidtard club. Odd, really, I used to braid my hair almost daily, and I _still_ can't make a braid that isn't messy or crooked. But then I wrapped those up in a lot of ribbon, so you couldn't see how messy they were. And braiding and taping wasn't really overkill with my hair!:rolleyes:
Don't get me started on french or dutch braids. They might as well be black magic!:demon:

Tiina
July 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
I have this problem when I try to move my part when my hair is dry. What I do is, I wet my comb, comb over the sticky-up bits, smooth it down to my scalp, take a piece of paper towel and smoothe vigorously until the hair is practically dry. Repeat procedure if I have time or add a tiny amount of aloe vera if not.

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Don't get me started on french or dutch braids. They might as well be black magic!:demon:

AMEN!!!! :rant:

Looks like TBC (The Braidtard Club) could develop quite a few members....

moominhapa
July 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Anyone can do black magic with a little bit of practice. :p Former braidtard here. It's like they say about being illiterate, you know. These days the trendy PC thing to say is preliterate, because there's always a chance to learn. You and GRU are just pre-braiderate. :D

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

triumphator!
July 13th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Pre-braiderate! Bahahahah! Sounds like a thread name to meeeeee :laugh:

DARKMARTIAN
July 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Ive always kinda thought that those crown things on a persons head kinda looked like little flying saucers landed and left little crop circles......:p

ahem.....hair circles.....:D

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/ufo.gif...<<<<<what happens when I drive...:D

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Anyone can do black magic with a little bit of practice. :p Former braidtard here. It's like they say about being illiterate, you know. These days the trendy PC thing to say is preliterate, because there's always a chance to learn. You and GRU are just pre-braiderate. :D

Love it!

And I can braid someone else's hair, it's just doing it on my own head that is the problem b/c my hair is so "grabby" -- it takes two free hands just to separate each section from the rest of my head (and it's a challenge even with two hands sometimes!), and that doesn't leave me anything to hold the other sections with in the meantime. I'm pretty flexible, maybe I could learn to hold the sections with my feet.....

Pre-braiderate! Bahahahah! Sounds like a thread name to meeeeee :laugh:

Never a dull moment on the LHC!

Ive always kinda thought that those crown things on a persons head kinda looked like little flying saucers landed and left little crop circles......:p

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/DARKMARTIAN/Smilies/ufo.gif...<<<<<what happens when I drive...:D

Better be careful, DM.... some heads of hair are like a black hole -- your flying saucer might disappear from the radar screen if it gets too close!!!

Kristin
July 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I don't do my braids upside down. I just lean.

First, I comb and part my hair across the top and down the back (wherever I want to start the braid). Then I section the last 1/4 of hair (the section of the hair that will be braided last) and put it into a clip or elastic. Then I tilt my head and lean as I do my braid. I think the sectioning thing would make a difference in how your part turned out, though. Unless I misunderstood your question?

triumphator!
July 13th, 2010, 06:24 PM

You have quite the arsenal of perfect animations to illustrate your posts -- first the leaves blowing in the wind, now the UFOs... delightful!