PDA

View Full Version : Long-hair house guest: good etiquette

Jenn of Pence
July 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
DH and I are home visiting our families for two weeks, and we're hopping about between my parents' and his parents' houses. After washing and combing and seeing all my hair everywhere, I was extra careful to make sure all of it got deposited into the trash can. Then I thought about all the hair I was certainly shedding all around the house and wondered if I should be "harvesting" it off the couches and stuff...but that's just me ;)
So I wondered what you LHC-ers do about shed hairs when you are house guests. Do you fret much, or do you let it go? Does it make a difference whose house it is, or if you're in a hotel? What if you are the host of a long-hair...what would you like for them to do while in your home?

Angela_Rose
July 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Huh. I guess I never thought about it, other than pulling strays out from the shower/tub.

Alcenaia
July 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I make extra sure that I've removed any strays from the shower and try to comb/style in only one place, but that's about it. :)

FrannyG
July 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I suggest that you wear your hair up or braided most of the time when indoors, so you won't be having to seek shed hairs anywhere in the house except where you comb or brush it. As others have said, make sure you remove those hairs and the ones in the shower, and you should be okay.

GoddesJourney
July 13th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I try to just comb it over the bathroom floor where it can be easily picked up. I wipe it off the shower wall and the bathroom floor and put it in the trash. If I'm worried about it, I just braid it. I don't lose any strays that way until I take it down. If I plan to wear it down, I just wear the braid waves once we're all out and about.

moominhapa
July 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I don't think too much about it other than to make sure I clean out the shower drain, but I always do that anyway. No one has ever said anything to me about finding my hair at their house. Keeping it up is a good suggestion if you're worried about that though.

triumphator!
I agree with all the posts above! Couldn't have said it better!

TrudieCat
I never thought about it either, although my hair's not that long (yet :)). But I've had house (or apartment) guests who have left plenty of shed hairs behind, and I never minded that aspect of having them stay with me. The only thing I don't like is finding clumps of hair in the shower, but even that I can overlook if I like my guests a lot. :D

virgo75
July 13th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Since you're visiting family, I would just let them know your hair ends up everywhere and ask if there are any precautions they would like for you to take.

When my hair was longer(past waist, shorter than hip - miss it :( ) I would make sure I mainly did my hair in the bathroom and cleaned up after myself thoroughly so there weren't long, black hairs all over someone's home.

My mom on the other hand, used to have hair that was the same length or longer and would brush it forcefully everywhere - in the living room, the kitchen, the bathroom, hallway, etc. And she sheds. A lot. So me and my kids would(and still do!) find hairs everywhere - on the couch, in our clothes, sometimes in our food. :shake:

I had to ask her to confine where she brushes her hair and to collect her shed hair if she saw a pile of it. I hated asking her because she feels self conscious when anything like that is brought up, but there are few things more gag inducing than finding a 3 foot long silver hair in your mouth. :puke:

white line
July 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I remove hair from shower and bathroom where I comb it out. I try to finger-comb regularly and grab any loose hairs to put in garbage. Hopefully I don't shed too many throughout the house, but if I see them I pick them up. I am more observant if I am at family/friend's house than if at hotel. I guess I am aware of it because it used to gross my mom out when she would see my hair throughout the house. she is a life-long short hair.

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
If I saw a random shed hair somewhere (on the couch, middle of the floor, etc.) I'd go ahead and pick it up and dispose of it, just like if I saw a hunk of lint or something that was big enough to catch the eye. That's about it, other than the standards already mentioned above, grooming in the bathroom, cleaning out the shower, etc.

Tiina
July 13th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I do the same as I do at home. Clean the shower drain after every wash, use only my own brush and comb, pick up all strands I see and wear hair up and/or contained whenever it's not wet.

littlenvy
July 13th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I think you are a very nice and considerate person Jenn. :)
Had people descend on me with hair, kids and pets and not give any thought to the mess they left behind.
The fact that you ARE thinking about it tells me you will do just fine.
Nobody will mind few stray hairs here and there.

Carolyn
July 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
It's never occurred to me to worry about it. When I'm an overnight guest in someone's home, I always take great pains to clean up after myself. I'm especially careful in the bathroom. My hair isn't down very much so I don't think I'm shedding all over their couches. If I'm staying in a hotel I wouldn't be that careful. I'm paying for someone to clean up after me.

Jenw777
July 13th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I would only really worry about it if they had a baby. Long hair can get tangled around tiny toes and seriously hurt the baby.

Dragon
July 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I have never thought about it. I dont get hair in peoples shower drains because I dont normaly wash my hair when at other peoples houses as im worried about using up all the hot water. And they are usually on tank water so Im a bit worried about usuing to much since they are usually low in water. I gess that is one advantage of having hair that doesent seem to get oily.

BombaySapphire
July 13th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I have to second that I am one of those who wears a braid at other people's houses. It seems to really kill any shedding and also I keep my braid over my shoulder so it doesn't come in too much contact with their nice furniture. If I have to use their shower/bath, I brush my hair in the shower and dispose of it so the drain doesn't clog.

missfortune9335
July 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
count me in as one who has never thought much about it, I don't think they're likely to notice a few shed hairs (as long as you grab the ones from the shower and sink like you already said) everybody sheds hair and whatever *is* there will get vacuumed up the next time they clean right? Personally if someone with very long hair was staying at my house and I found a long hair or two on the couch it would not bother me :couch:

pepperminttea
July 13th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I think I'd just be especially careful to clean up after myself in the shower and wherever I combed my hair. I wear my hair up 99% of the time so I don't think shedding would worry me.

countryhopper
July 14th, 2010, 03:05 AM
I totally agree with cleaning up bathroom hairs (especially ones that like to stick to bars of soap! yuck! :D

At family's house, I'd offer (or not even offer, just get up and do it) to vacuum and sweep. that way I wouldn't have to worry!

CavyQueen
July 14th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I thought I was the only one who worried about this! I am very concerned about being neat when I am a guest at someone's home. My college roomate still finds my hair amoungst her dorm items in her home in Kentucky and we went to school in Miami...8 years ago! I usually brush my hair before I wash it outside (if it is not too cold) when I visit people. I also make sure there are no blobs of conditioner left on the shower door or bath tub. A wet tissue helps pick up the hair on the bathroom floor. Another thing I do is make sure I shower after everyone else so I don't use up all of the hot water. I also never play with my hair in someone else's kitchen or living room just to prevent any loose hairs from shedding. Needless to say, I prefer hotels :)

IcarusBride
July 14th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Haha I am looking for an apartment-share right now and I felt like a huge dork having to mention "I don't have any pets, but *I* shed quite a lot, and I am of a long-haired breed..."

GRU
July 15th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Haha I am looking for an apartment-share right now and I felt like a huge dork having to mention "I don't have any pets, but *I* shed quite a lot, and I am of a long-haired breed..."

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_lolabove-1.gif?t=1279199960http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_lmao.gif?t=1279199959http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_lolabove-1.gif?t=1279199960http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_lmao.gif?t=1279199959http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_lolabove-1.gif?t=1279199960http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_lmao.gif?t=1279199959

punkcatknitter
August 4th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Came across this thread and it reminded me of a funny story:

When I was a little girl my hair was pale blonde and waist length, so my hair got everywhere. My mom and I rode in the car with a guy we knew and apparently his wife found a loooooong blonde hair in the backseat and wanted to know where it came from. They had a good laugh over it once he explained.

suffer-cait
August 5th, 2010, 12:26 AM
i second the brushing outside, i try really hard to always detangle or comb while on the grass, i like to avoid porches too if i can help it. it's less of a pain for clean up that way, because i know i have a tendency to miss hairs because they are so common for me.

luxepiggy
August 5th, 2010, 04:59 AM
This is one of the many reasons I always refuse to stay at anyone's house, only in hotels! I realized many years ago that little piggies on holiday tend to make big messes (^(oo)^)

Jasperine
August 5th, 2010, 06:46 AM
My friend, who has tailbone length hair, will loudly say that's she's like a dog, she sheds everywhere, and then just take the shed she sees. And she always removes her hair from my shower and after she has brushed. I think it's polite and it's not like she sheds to annoy me anyways ;)

LouLaLa
August 5th, 2010, 11:08 AM
When I had waist length hair my shedding broke my mums hoover, I was really embarassed! However it couldnt be helped as I was pretty careful and she didnt mind as I was a teen and had issues enough :p

My hair is getting longer again and if I go anywhere I just make sure its super clean when I leave and clean my brush really thoroughly to try catch the strays in the bruch to be thrown away.

goldenoak
August 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I've combed out in the shower/tub, so that I can easily find and pick up the shed bits.

For everyday around-the house shedding... what everyone else has said. If it's likely to be a problem for your hosts, wear it up. If you think they might smile in remembrance of your visit if they find a hair or two, leave it down. :)

trolleypup
August 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM
butbutbut...if you don't shed, how can you mark your territory?! :misskim:

As others have said, just be sensible and neat and it will be fine.