PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil and hair color fading...

Pandora.
July 13th, 2010, 02:34 AM
This may seem like a silly question, but I'm just paranoid, and I want to be extra certain.

I'm aware that coconut oil fades hair color, but does it also darken or fade bleached hair? As most of you know, I've had my hair bleached a fair few times, and I don't want to lose the bright/light tone of my hair (since I like it too much). Bleaching isn't really ADDING color to your hair, as it strips color pigment out.

I've tried coconut oil twice, but I haven't seen any difference in the color of my hair YET (but I've also been using blonde hair enhancing shampoos afterwards, just to be safe).

If it fades bleached hair, I won't go near a bottle of coconut oil again in my life (apart from when I next go to the hairdressers to get my roots done). I'll be disappointed too, because my hair feels stronger and less prone to breakage with coconut oil. :p

BelleBot
July 13th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I don't see how bleached hair can fade exactly. If your hair is bleached it won't get any paler by using coconut oil, neither will it get any darker. The only issue would be if you also use a toner as well as bleach to influence the colour as it may well draw out the toner quicker.
The biggest issue with oils and colour is if you have a bright colour or something very different to your natural colour. Bleach isn't a colour so there is no pigment that you've added to be washed out or drawn out with oils. Hope this helps :)

So yeh, I see no problems with carrying on using coconut oil. A lot of bottle blondes on here love it as it can help protect hair and limit some of the damage from peroxide.