PDA

View Full Version : Cut Hair For Some One

Dragon
July 13th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Have you ever cut your hair for some one or because of some one?

Juneii
July 13th, 2010, 01:01 AM
yes. Back in my freshman year of High School I found out my boyfriend at the time was crushing on girls with shoulder length hair while we were dating (ah, how I don't miss those times). And I, being the idiot I was, chopped off my waist length hair to a short bob above my shoulders. It looked horrible and didn't change him whatsoever.

ericthegreat
July 13th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Have I actually done the actual deed of cutting my hair because of someone? No, I have not.

But, I did have serious thoughts of chopping off all my hair. After I broke up with an ex-boyfriend who I really fell in love with (this happened about two and a half years ago), I was extremely depressed and when things hit rock bottom I became suicidal. I hated myself and I felt like I should attack myself in some way. I had thoughts of shaving my head bald, I just didn't want to be myself anymore.

I did manage to talk to a few very wonderful people and I got some help last year. I'm still working on keeping my emotions under control, but now I do have someone who I can talk to when things get crazy.

longblondetan
July 13th, 2010, 01:20 AM
acyually did the oppisite, and am growing my hair out for my fiance.

christine1989
July 13th, 2010, 01:22 AM
About a year ago my boyfriend came over for the week while my parents were out of town and I trimmed an inch off my hair so I would look my best. Not a huge change but I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Loreley
July 13th, 2010, 01:28 AM
No, I would never do that. :)

HintOfMint
July 13th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I'm afraid I'm too self-centered, deeply in love with myself, and thoroughly convinced of my good taste to change anything about my appearance solely for someone else. I may do something if I am already pleased with the idea, but to cut or grow my hair strictly based on someone else's happiness? Nah, I know better :p
There is nothing like being told what to do to make you feel resentful of said action, no matter how much of a good idea it is.
Hmm, maybe I'm just a contrarian little turd.

longblondetan
July 13th, 2010, 01:52 AM
well i always wanted to grow mine out, just never had a reason to put up with the "in between" time.

alwayssmiling
July 13th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Yes. It didn't work :o

Francoise1606
July 13th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Yes I have. I was bullied a lot in school and I had Mid Back length hair, and I cut it to a shoulder length layered hairstyle in order to look more like the other girls. It didn't work, and then I started experimenting with crazy dyes instead, to look different. Anyway, I wish I hadn't cut my hair, because then my hair wouldn't be so unhealthy now, because if I had had long hair I would never have put bleach in it.

Lemur_Catta
July 13th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Kind of. I never cut my hair drastically for someone else, and actually I did it only one time, at 14, and it was my choice. The rest of the time, it was shoulder-APL out of my choice. But I did dye my hair for someone else!
I had had a bad breakup with my ex boyfriend, he had really been mean to me and my whole family hated him because of what he did to me. When we got back together, I couldn't stand the thought that my family didn't like him...it wasn't like they didn't want me to see him or anything like that, but I hated having their disapproval, even if deep inside I knew they were right (in fact, we broke up again 1 month later)
So I was quite sad and wanted to do something to please my mom, and I decided to accept her advice about my hair. I didn't cut it drastically, just added some layers and a fringe, but the color job was awful because I had henna in my hair and even if I told the stylist, they just didn't know how to deal with it, and I came out with orange highlights xD

MrsGuther
July 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I am an emotional hair cutter/color-er. Whenever I have gone thru a breakup in the past I have always done something quite drastic to my hair. Cut a foot of length off, got fringe bangs (with course curly hair), got my hair completely bleached from root to tip, dyed it blood red... you name it, I've done it. :( Now my hair is in pretty bad shape and suffering in the healthy hair department because of all the hair abuse and neglect I out it through.

Kome
July 13th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Yep! Except he didn't end up liking it. Cut it pixie like and looked hideous. I will NEVER do that again. Ugh.

DARKMARTIAN
July 13th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I almost had to do it once a long time ago when I came very close to going to a private school. But I never did.

Interestingly though.....the guy that used to cut my hair back then had really long hair. And he used to tell me about how his own parents offered to PAY him to cut his hair one time!!! jeeez louise!.......But he didnt......

Fiferstone
July 13th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Nope, can't say I ever got a haircut or changed my color for someone, but probably some of the "I'm bored and I need a change" things I've done had their root in my emotions after a breakup (or the start of a new relationship). ;). Sometimes I think I'm only rational on the surface, you know?

Capybara
July 13th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I did donate a foot of my hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths around Christmas 2007. This was more a personal decision, though. I've had - and still have - family members fighting cancer, but I didn't do it for just one person. It was time for a change :)

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Never have, never will.

I want to be loved for what's on the inside, not what's on the outside. Surface beauty may be good for a physical attraction thing, but it means nothing in terms of a meaningful relationship.

*Aoife*
July 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I didn't exactly cut it but I had a little bit of bushy headness when I started secondary and by my second year it had gotten worse (cones + brushing). A few of the uber bitchy girls had passed comment on it so I got it permanently straightened and a haircut full of layers to try to fit in.
It didn't work but I loved my hair at the time.

breezefaerie
July 13th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I've cut my hair after a bad breakup. Cut my TB length hair to above my ears. Looked terrible and I've been fighting with it ever since.

Oksana
July 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I'm afraid I'm too self-centered, deeply in love with myself, and thoroughly convinced of my good taste to change anything about my appearance solely for someone else. I may do something if I am already pleased with the idea, but to cut or grow my hair strictly based on someone else's happiness? Nah, I know better :p
There is nothing like being told what to do to make you feel resentful of said action, no matter how much of a good idea it is.

Loved this post, it made me smile :D

hockeygirl256
July 13th, 2010, 11:09 AM
I haven't cut my hair for someone, but I've colored it. One boyfriend loved blondes so I colored it even lighter than my natural dark blonde. Now I'm kind of hooked on the lighter tone myself. Right now though I'm letting it stay darker.

TrudieCat
July 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Nope, and I never would - not unless it was magically going to save his/her life or similar. I have only dated one person who suggested an appearance change, and it was just one example of his suble and not-so-subtle attempts to control what I did and how I acted. We didn't last too long. :p

slythwolf
July 13th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Not as an adult. A bunch of times when I was a kid, I had my hair cut because my mother was in charge of it.

littlenvy
July 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I haven't cut my hair for someone, but I've colored it. One boyfriend loved blondes so I colored it even lighter than my natural dark blonde. Now I'm kind of hooked on the lighter tone myself. Right now though I'm letting it stay darker.
*nods head*

Same here. I didn't cut my hair but coloured it from blonde to dark brown to make myself look older and less "cute" so I could get my first full time job because the boss was old fashioned and thought blondes were ... not smart ;).
Does that count??
I did get the job btw :)

Allen
July 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Someone once said, "I love you just the way you are, now change!"

So, yes I once did cut my hair for someone else. Was wearing my hair "creatively long" at the time I was based in LA. I was dating a nice young lady who had very long hair past her knees. She liked the short, clean cut look on men and I acquiesced.

Did it make a difference in the end?

No, we broke up several months afterwards. While the physical attributes that we both liked were there, the chemistry just wasn't.

I've come to learn that while we may like our own hair or our partner's hair a particular way, if a relationship is going to work it's never really about the length of the hair...it always the chemistry between the two people overall.

Spike
July 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Once, while in school, in order to "fit in." Worked for a week, then business as usual.

Then when my best friend at the time died, chopped from TB to pixie as part of dealing with the change. Hey, hair grows back--scars don't ever go away. Probably the most mature decision I'd made to that point in my life.

Katurday
July 13th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I've never cut my hair for anyone (let alone a man).I came close to it though. Other than that, for my current boyfriend I'm growing it out (and myself too) and keeping it henna red (though I'd prefer jet black).

OperaTeacherMom
July 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM
No, but I've cut it despite my hubby telling me not to. He was totally right, I hated it.

Spike, sending hugs your way, that does sound like you made a better decision but I'm sure it was a terrible time in your life. :grouphug:

Capybara, that is a beautiful reason to cut your hair :flower: I would totally cut my hair to make a wig for a friend with cancer if they asked me to, but I don't know that I could do it for a total stranger.

Tiina
July 13th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Yes and no.

Five years ago, I met a man in a music chatroom. We started to talk and realised we really like each other. Some months later we decided we should meet. However, just a few days before we settled on the date, I did something very stupid to my hair. I had had jet black dyed hair which I was sick and tired of. I tried to remove the colour but it didn't go so well. The result was a brittle, stringy, strange mass of no proper colour or shape. Ew. A showerdrain monster on my head, no confidence in my looks and only a month til I was to meet mr.Wonderful. Not a good strategy.

I tried everything I could think of. I invested in the priciest salon products my hairdresser could find, I slathered myself in oils and conditioners, I showered every day and in a bout of madness I even got myself a straightener... But nothing worked. I felt awful, terribly unattractive and on the verge of calling the meeting with the guy off. All the while, I had kept him in the dark about this horrible affair. Then it dawned to me. He had never seen me, he doesn't need to know I had ruined my best feature. Why, maybe he doesn't even like long hair!

So I chopped it off to less-than pixie and dyed it green the night before he came.

It went very well, he's my husband now. :eyebrows:

That's the one and only time I did something to my hair because of someone else. However, it was not for him. It was for me, so I would feel comfortable in my own skin. I now know that he would've been okay with my disaster hair but I wouldn't have.

Even so, sometimes he still asks what on earth happened to it but I have yet to give him a straight answer. Instead, I blame it on the leprechauns. :)

Teacherbear
July 13th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Have you ever cut your hair for some one or because of some one?
I'm wondering, have *you* ever cut your hair for someone? Just curious.

Twil
July 13th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I've kept it long for someone. My dad loved our long hair as children, to the point where he had to leave the room when my sister got her first pageboy. So I always kept it long for him, up to 2 and a half years ago when I cut it to chin length. :)

Dragon
July 13th, 2010, 11:20 PM
I'm wondering, have *you* ever cut your hair for someone? Just curious.

I have never cut my hair for someone. Almost gave into colouring it for some one but when I found out they want to use a permanent colour in my hair I dident let them. To damaging.

IcarusBride
July 14th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I've done the typical "new 'do, new you!" thing after a bad break up, but nothing really drastic, just going from BSL to APL.

LisaButz2001
July 14th, 2010, 06:17 AM
No. although it was not for lack of trying on my ex's part. I actually grew it longer for spite.

Kristin
July 14th, 2010, 11:04 AM
After break-ups in high school I would sometimes cut my hair just because I needed to feel like a new person. DBF always wanted me to cut my hair short, and I did a couple years ago, but I didn't really cut it for him; I'd never had short hair and was curious. We both hated that cut. I don't think I would cut my hair just because someone waned me to, but you never know what you might do...

Capybara
July 14th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Capybara, that is a beautiful reason to cut your hair :flower: I would totally cut my hair to make a wig for a friend with cancer if they asked me to, but I don't know that I could do it for a total stranger.

Thank you, OperaTeacherMom :flower:

issalynn
July 14th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I never cut hair for someone, I always did it whenever I wanted. But I am growing my hair out long for my husband. I promised him nothing besides trims until he comes back from boot camp. So we should see how long my hair is then!

eamane
July 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Yes unfortunally. Before I met my DH I was in a relationship with a idiot that tried to control everything about me: my hair, my clothes and my way to be. When I finally managed to get out I was depressed and didn't recognize myself or my closet. I had cut my hair to shoulder lenght and bleached it blond blond. Never again......

Anje
July 14th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Got nagged into an LoL cut once by a friend (who organized it and donated her waist-length locks at the same time). Really did it more to support her and because I knew I wouldn't get through a stats class without her asking until I agreed to it.

I didn't mind having shoulder-length hair that much, but it wasn't the most flattering thing on me. I'm glad to have length now.

I suppose I could also say I cut my hair for my swim coach once... Mostly, that's because at BSL the bulk was enough to make the swim cap too tight and gave me a headache. But I don't know if that counts.

Madame J
July 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I never cut my hair for someone, but when I got my waist-length hair cut up to above my shoulders, the first thing I did was call my ex-boyfriend, who had adored my long hair. He cried.

HintOfMint
July 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I never cut my hair for someone, but when I got my waist-length hair cut up to above my shoulders, the first thing I did was call my ex-boyfriend, who had adored my long hair. He cried.

This post warms the cockles of my heart:p

crystal_89
July 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I cut my BSL+ hair to a pixie in March, partly because I wanted to show my friends with hair extensions there was more to life than having long hair and that I could look good with short hair, and partly because I noticed my boyfriend likes girls with short hair because its 'different'. When I showed him the picture of the cut I was thinking of getting, he encouraged me a lot to get it. I enjoyed my hair short but I'm growing again for (another) change.

Ash
July 14th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I cut my hair short enough to spike it partially because I had never had hair that short and also because my ex had begged me to never cut my hair while we were still together. I knew he still had feelings for me so I made sure he got to see the short hair. :D

Shany
July 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Yes. My hair was between BSL and WS, but my EX b/f hated long hair...I had it cut to NL and I didn't let it grow out longer than CBL for about 3 years. I regret it so much!!! I ended the relationship after 5 years (best decision ever). My current b/f loves long hair!

Mariah!!
July 15th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I have. My husband calls my hair a "bush" at night. I like to wear my hair down at night (guilty) and he stuffs my hair under my back and tells me my "bush" was in his face again. He isn't really a big fan of very long hair. He kept complaining that I never curl it anymore (It wont STAY!) or do anything "pretty" with it cause its too long. So for our aniversary I cut it!! I cut it APL-is from mid-back length. It was very pretty. I got layers and it was very healthy after that cut, and I loved what i could do with it. My hubby loved it too. But I vowed never EVER would I ever cut my hair like that again. Even if I did like it, I missed my longer hair. I have since grown my hair out again. It took me 2 years, one dusting and one trim to get my hair back down to where it was, and it is pretty darn healthy.

Merewen
July 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
The only person for whom I would do anything to my hair at all is my husband, who would not expect me to. Also he likes long hair. Also, if I DID change anything for him, it would be in the range of something I would consider anyway, like "I am happy with my hair longer than waist, but I can tell you think knee is crazy long, so maybe I'll consider trimming to classic." Nothing more than that. I have my hair long because I like it that way.

Dragon
September 24th, 2010, 04:22 AM
I have when I was in bording school. Dident want to but gave in to shut them up.

leslissocool
September 24th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Against my will... My evil grandmother tipped the hairdresser to cut my hair chin length every time we went in...

And one other epic time when I went cuckoo and chopped it to change my style and start anew... The hairdresser's fault too, talked me into it...

Now my best friend became a hairdresser... And she is really good at talking me out of any more nonsense :D she knows how important my long hair is to me... I'm too impulsive for my own good... Now no one cuts my hair, unless their hair is loner than mine (so either me or BF).

Igraine
September 24th, 2010, 05:14 AM
I sported a horrible pageboy cut between 10 and 11, courtesy of my mother. Meanwhile she got fed up with going ever so often to the salon to get my fringe cut. I got asked several times while wearing my hair like that, what gender I am...
Before and after, roughly until I hit 14, I was made to keep it into a bob, cut back at chin length when it reached shoulders...

It is easy to imagine that afterwards I was and am deaf at haircut/colour change suggestions... Not that there were too many, just an ex complaining about the brassy look of the henna at roots, where it was only one coat.

Phexlyn
September 24th, 2010, 07:28 AM
No, I haven't, and I keep telling people that if I ever feel really tempted to cut because of someone, I'll dye it bright red instead! :D

Actually, cutting my hair would probably make any bad situation worse, so why should I do that? It would only make me more miserable - although it's hard to remember this sometimes.

paperwhite
September 24th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Nope, I've never cut my hair for someone. There have been times when I wanted to, just to vent some anger and frustration, but I always backed away from it. The anger and frustration weren't just going to disappear if I chop my hair off, I'd just be angry and frustrated with shorter hair :p

I have impulsively colored, though, but that never really had anything to do with anyone. It was just me getting bored and wanting a change.

adiapalic
September 24th, 2010, 08:04 AM

:laugh: Oh this one really just about made water come out my nose. Also, I can be extremely prudent when it comes to my hair and body. So I've never done anything to my hair for someone.

AspenSong
September 24th, 2010, 04:38 PM
YES. Stupidly... *eyeroll*
And worse, it was my own grandmother and Aunt who pushed me into it. Both of them had/have short, boy cut hair. So they're thought was that that was the best way to have your hair and I grew my hair out to about tailbone length or a bit longer and all I heard from them was how horrible it looked. Can't imagine why now, it was un-dyed, well taken care of, etc. And now, I see I should have listened to my dad who told me how beautiful it was. Because he was right... :) But, I was 17 and we were living next door to the family and finally after over a year of the constant picking and comments...I hacked it off to my shoulder. They were thrilled. My dad wasn't. I really wasn't. I have regretted that cut ever since.
But I'm working on fixing that now! At this point, at 26 years of age (as of today, Happy b-day to me!) I don't really give a flying flippity diddle what anyone else thinks about my hair because it's on MY head. And genetics and health willing, I'm going to have the longest hair I can have. Knee length, ankle length...whatever it may be!

tinti
September 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I've done that all my life :p Stupid, I know. I cared too much about what people said about my appearence. I still do, but I'm not acting to it anymore. Before I was like this :p

Someone told me I should cut bangs, I cut bangs.
Someone told me I should grow my bangs, or I get tired of cutting bangs, I grew them
Someone told me I should cut my hair short, I cut it short.
Someone told me I should grow my hair long, and I hated it short, I grew it.
Same thing with dye.
But now I'm growing my hair and my bangs long for me, because this is a dream of mine
People around me can say what they want :)

wvgemini
September 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Yes. I hacked off my nearly BSL hair into an angled bob because I knew my (now ex) husband would hate it. We were on the rocks and he had always been controlling over EVERYTHING, so I did it. I enjoyed it and kept it short for a long time, but now I want it long. I also found out DBF prefers long hair, but I'm not growing it for him, per se. That's just a bit of incentive.

Carolyn
September 24th, 2010, 06:10 PM
No. I've never considered doing it. I had break ups with quite a few guys but it never crossed my mind to do a break up cut. No one other my parents ever pressured me to cut and I stopped listening to what they said about hair when I was in high school.

Aleria
September 24th, 2010, 06:15 PM
In a different way than you're thinking - in my Native family's tradition, you cut your hair when someone dies. I cut from Mid Back to SL when my granny died.

lindaton
September 24th, 2010, 07:10 PM
My boyfriend of 10 yrs was very jealous of my classic length hair. Didnt like all the attention I got from it. I told him if he'd marry me I'd get it cut. Well he married me and I kept my end of the deal and oh how I regretted it. That was 28 yrs ago. I now have knee length hair and he knows not to ever mention me getting it cut because he had to hear me whine and complain about how I hated my hair short. And yes I know there were other reasons we were not married after 10 yrs. Just wish I knew then what I know now!

swivelhop
September 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I trimmed my hair a ton trying to let my bf's length catch up to mine. It never happened he just kept trimming his more, so I stopped the gesture.

Neneka
September 25th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Almost four years ago I had wonderful deep red bsl hair and I bleached it and cut it very short because of a guy. Well, he didn't even notice it and left me after two weeks of that. Next boyfriend liked long hair and I had it short. Well, I just laughed him when he said that he feels like a gay with me. He left me too... and the next guy liked it short and I started to grow it long. Now I have a great boyfriend who likes my hair and encourages me to grow it more but still I know that he would love me even if I didn't have any hair.

I would never change myself for someone anymore because if I need to, I think that the guy/girl just is not the right one for me. In a loving relationship with someone your hair is not really that important.

TiaKitty
September 25th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Not for a man, but for my doctor. He just couldn't get over the notion that my migraines were caused by the weight of my hair. He even had me convinced that if I cut it my migraines would go away... so, I cut it to shoulder and guess what? Migraines still kept coming.

No way I'll try that again.

CrisDee
September 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Oh yeah. Like 3 times now. The first two times, it was followed by a divorce, and if it weren't for finances this time would have been as well. It's like I'm trying to cut off the person that's hurt and abandoned me, and to somehow hurt him by hurting myself - which obviously doesn't work. And I knew that last year when I did it the third time, and I did it anyway. Ugh. Why am I so stupid sometimes?

aenflex
September 25th, 2010, 08:28 AM
No way. Not that kind of person at all. Not saying that it's bad in any way to grant someone else's wish or try something new to please another person. To each thier own. But me, change my hair/body for someone else? H to the Nizzle. When it comes to my hair and size, I aim to please myself and myself alone.
I have, however, worked on personality issues and becoming a better person as a result of my flaws negatively affecting my BF, friends or family. I'm fine doing an overhaul in that department, because I strongly feel that becoming a better person is a duty. But my body is my own and I quite like it that way :)

Toadstool
September 25th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Tiina- wonderful story!

Beatrix_Kiddo
September 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Yes. I cut my hair in 2008, during my honeymoon. My husband met me with waist length hair and one day he told me that it would be nice to change my look to a bob length hair. He couldn't imagine how I look with short hair, so I cut it ¬¬.
The problem was that I decided to maintain the length. Silly me!