PDA

View Full Version : Long lasting maroon hair dye?

kabelaced
July 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Hair dyers of the forum, I need your help! A friend of mine recently had a conversation with me about dyeing his hair maroon, and he was wondering which brands people recommended that would last longer than two weeks. His hair is naturally a very dark shade of brown (looks almost black until you see it up close), and in any case, if he wants an intense maroon color, I told him he'd have to bleach it first. That's all I know, though - I've only used conventional hair dye twice (first time a light honey brown, second time turquoise over my natural hair color) - and then I discovered henna, which dyed my hair a deep red which, over multiple applications, became a winelike color.

So, friends, any brand suggestions and fading/hair dyeing tips? I would very much appreciate it. :flower: I already told him that reddish tones are quick to wash out, and to stretch time between washes if possible, as well as to use cool water to wash since hotter water really kills dyes. Thank you! :heart:

P.S. The first thing I mentioned to him was Manic Panic, and he said he'd heard it washes out rather quickly, so he didn't want that. Any other brands bring you success (or if MP rocked, how did you apply it)?

Loviatar
July 13th, 2010, 05:51 AM
When I was strand testing a lot of Special Effects dyes mixed with henna, I think either Blood Red or Candy Apple Red went maroon on my medium brown hennaed hair. So he could henna first and then apply the dye, or mix the dye with henna.

Directions Tulip is also a good colour to mix with henna to get maroon.

spidermom
July 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I did Punky Rose-Red (magenta) on my hair for Easter, and I can still see traces of it. I read on their web site that if you rinse with vinegar first when you're rinsing out the dye, it will last even longer.