PDA

View Full Version : Hair decision, help me decide ! (pics)

UltraBella
July 12th, 2010, 09:32 PM
I am getting my hair cut and colored on Thursday. I have to decide whether I am going to continue on my journey back to a more natural color, or go back to the copper red I love so much.
I got tired of the maintenance and upkeep of the red, my roots drove me crazy very quickly. But the red was so fun ! I am just undecided.
What do you think looks best on me ?

Here is one of the last known pics of me with 100% natural haircolor, around five years ago.
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/sixflags99.jpg

Here is my beloved red.
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/100_1047edit.jpg

And here is a shot I took a while back of my roots and how much I had been able to lighten the red. This is the color I am now, but with more root growth.
http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac282/beyondbeauty76/IMG_0243.jpg

Sorry they are gigantic !!!! I couldn't get them any smaller.

Gumball
July 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I personally like the way the natural color looks. It has a softness to it that I think works well with you, err, naturally. :D

Juneii
July 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
That is difficult, you look beautiful with your blond hair, but the copper looks stunning on you! If you're willing to do touch-ups often then I say go with the copper :) if not, your natural color looks good on you too.

xoxophelia
July 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hmm.. I think the red color brings out your eyes a bit better and has a more stylized look to it (because of the oomph). However, the natural looks more youthful in the sense that it is a bit more nature like and free spirited to me.

They both look great I don't think I could decide :)

Anywhere
July 12th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I like the red, it makes the green in your eyes stand out (to me) more. The natural color is a softer look on you though.
Heh, guess I'm not much of a help.
If you say you got tired of the upkeep though, then I'd go for natural. If you got tired of it before then it'll happen again and this question will re-arise.
I think whatever one you pick will look lovely though. :)

UltraBella
July 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM
That's exactly why I am having such a hard time deciding !! My hair grows quickly so my roots show and look not so lovely within two weeks. But the blonde is rather dull compared to the WOW factor of the red.
Ugh ! This is harder than I thought it would be......

skay
July 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Well, first of all, your natural color looks great on you.

If it were me, I'd also get tired of maintenance...

but maybe you could go with the light coppery red so you can stretch out the root touch ups...

TrudieCat
July 12th, 2010, 09:48 PM
In your post, you described the red as the color you "love so much" and "beloved" - seems like the red might be where your heart is.... :) But you look lovely with both colors, so I don't really think you can make a bad decision, no matter what you decide.

TiltedHal0
July 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I would go with your natural color. I think your face looks softer and there aren't a whole lot of natural blondes out there with really long hair. Also, if you plan to continue growing your hair and when you get older, the grey won't show up...less maintenance now and later. You have beautiful hair btw ;)

jasper
July 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM
I vote natural. Not that I get a vote.

heidihug
July 12th, 2010, 10:02 PM
I love auburn, so I tend to prefer that color on other people. But I think your natural blonde suits your skin a little better. I don't think either is a bad choice.

How much do you spend on coloring at the salon? When I used to get my hair cut and colored 15+ years ago it was a minimum of $75 a pop. So, if you have other things you might like to spend that money on (hair toys, perhaps?) you might consider going natural for a while. Just a thought.

heynormy
July 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I personally love both colors on you!
Your natural color is really soft, but the red really makes your eyes stand out!!
Oh gosh! I really can't decide! I'm going to say go back to natural..it makes you look even more youthful! :D

LisaButz2001
July 12th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Your avatar and signature colors are lovely, don't lose too much length, i envy your hair

*BelievingAgain
July 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Awww, UltraBella, your hair is simply stunning both ways! I adore red hair and you can definitely pull off having red hair, it's so striking on you... but the blonde is softer, and from what I can see in your siggy, there are some amazing tones and highlights throughout your blonde hair.
I guess the best advice I could give you is to think about how far you've come in lightening the red in order to get back to your blonde - I am going through a process now with my hair where I have stopped dyeing black, but cut my hair off entirely in order to finally halt the dying (I would get too tempted to dye when my roots came through otherwise, and the whole of my length was still blue-black).
My hair would be at least waist length by now if I had stopped the black when I first tried a couple of years ago. And now I'm like, "D'oah!" I wouldn't want you to be in the same kind of situation (although I'm guessing that red is a little easier to lift than black) in a year's time or whenever - just like Anywhere mentioned, this question may come up again for you if you go back to red, then feel the need to go back to natural. It's a nasty little cycle sometimes!

I wish you all the best with the decision you make - and if it's any help at all, you look AMAZING with either colour. :flower:

Dragon
July 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Can see why its hard for you to decide. Both colours look great on you. The more natural does make you look even more youthful. The natural gets my vote.

UltraBella
July 12th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks, everyone, for understanding my dilemma. Most people around me just don't see what the big deal is, but most of them are not an inch from tailbone either ! It's easier to change your hair color if it's only chin length........
Heidibug, I own two salons, so the cost is a non-issue for me. However, I am well aware that if I were a regular client I would be spending a lot of money on maintenance to keep it red. I end up with enough hair color for three people on my head ! Plus I take up so much of the stylists time as well.
It has been two and 1/2 months since I had anything done to my hair. It has been nice to go this long without messing with it. I couldn't make it six weeks when I was red. But the fun factor is kind of gone......
I FIGURED OUT WHAT I WANT !!!!!!!!!!! Drum roll please........

I want to be a natural redhead. *sigh*

countryhopper
July 12th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I vote for your natural color! It really is beautiful! I like the red, too, but I would hate the upkeep.

Please, PLEASE keep your length! it's GORGEOUS!! :thud:

Roseate
July 13th, 2010, 12:12 AM
They're both lovely- your natural makes you look a bit younger and, well, natural, the red is more striking and kind of stylish.

Personally, I hate having something I have to do to my hair all that often, so I would vote for the natural. But since you're a salon owner and you're there anyway, it might not be as much of an issue.... I see your dilemma!

UltraBella
July 13th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Countryhopper, it's time to cut a few inches off. Probably atleast two. No worries, it will grow back in two months or less. I am a fast grower and I trim inches often. Some of you will want to strangle me, but in the last 18 months I can think of atleast 8 inches I have trimmed off in all. I like trims and I like to keep my layers fresh or they grow out really fast.
Roseate, I was atleast five years younger ( and several pounds thinner ) the last time I had my natural hair color. So I am not surprised I look younger ! Just not sure that would really hold true at age 34, which I will be in 12 days :)

Dars
July 13th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Your natural colour is beautiful and suits you (of course), but I think the red looks amazing on you! Have you considered using henna? That would reduce maintenance on the fading part.

UltraBella
July 13th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Your natural colour is beautiful and suits you (of course), but I think the red looks amazing on you! Have you considered using henna? That would reduce maintenance on the fading part.
Good question, Dars !!
I really only have maintenance because my hair grows so fast and my ashy roots look crazy next to the copper red. It doesn't fade on me, in fact it's only a Demi color I used, and when I finally decided to go back to a natural color, I had to bleach the Demi color out because it was never going to fade away.
I have contemplated henna, and I almost did it, but I would be left with the same issue I already have, these darn ashy roots. And if I can't get a Demi color to fade from my hair, imagine if I decided henna was not right for me ! I am just so chicken........

Toadstool
July 13th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I actually prefer your natural colour, which kind of surprised me because I'm not an all-natural kind of person. But yours is beautiful.
Either way you look great!

Leabhar
July 13th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I like both, but you seem ...how do I say this without being offensive, heh---younger? fresher? softer? with the natural hair. Could you put red streaks in, or would that be too funky for you?

Also, you are freaking gorgeous!

Charlotte
July 13th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Hi there, :waving:

You are such an attractive woman and I think you carry off both colours equally well. :)

If I had to make a decision though, I'd go with your natural colour as it is so very pretty, soft and well, natural - no need to worry about those roots! :flower:

Loreley
July 13th, 2010, 02:06 AM
I like your natural colour a bit more! :)

share801
July 13th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I prefer the natural color as well.

Nera
July 13th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I love your natural color! It's perfect for your skintone and eyes.

alwayssmiling
July 13th, 2010, 03:20 AM
The red colour gives your hair lots shine, and makes your eyes pop! Yet your natural colour is very beautiful - the colour I have tried to acheive many times over the years.

lundmir
July 13th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Your natural color is very beautiful, but in my opinion the red makes you look stunning. I'm sure whichever you choose will look amazing on you, you're gorgeous.

jeno
July 13th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I vote for your natural, because it looks exactly like mine! I have had red hair too, and I liked it a lot, Some people thought it made my eyes pop, and some people just hated it. I hated the constant need of touch-ups... Now I have decided to let my natural colour grow back, no highligting (except for the sun) and I think I will be more satisfied with it this way. Ashy roots is kind of hard, they look so grey when they come in next to dye or bleach. But when the virgin hair grows on it looks better and better! So I say you should go natural, even though you look great in red too.

stkl
July 13th, 2010, 03:57 AM
You look absolutely beautiful both ways. but i love blonde hair and you have such lovely natural highlights that it seems a shame to dye over it, so i would say natural. but the red is very striking on you and i dont personally think the roots are that noticable - do whatever makes you happy :)

Ally<3
July 13th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I like the red. :wink: It emphasises the most important part of the face (your eyes!). Maybe try a semi permanent? Try it out for a couple of weeks and (unless your hair is really porous) it'll be gone again.

Pumpkin
July 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Your natural color, blonde, is beautiful on you. If I were you, I would go back to your natural color. You appear more youthful as a blonde. You are lovely as a blonde and as a redhead, however. :)

I became tired of the root upkeep also, so I am going back to my 'real' color. Also, I don't have to worry about the damage of coloring my hair anymore.

Keep us posted on your decision.

Fiferstone
July 13th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I think both your natural color and the red you chose work very well for your skin tone and eye color. If it's more important to not have to keep up with the relentless touch ups (thanks to having hair that grows very quickly) I'd stick with the natural color. If however, you prefer the way you look in red, then you'll decide that the regular upkeep is worth it. To me it sounds as though you'd like to get off the "root touch-up" treadmill because you're frankly tired of the maintenance, and I well understand your reluctance about henna, it's not like you can easily get rid of it without undergoing major damage (proably not the best thing if you're a salon owner, and your clientele judges your services by how your own hair looks), or losing a lot of length. I'm a henna-head but that's because I started doing the home dye thing using box dye and made a right mess of it. I'm going to have to figure out my own exit strategy when the grey/white hairs outnumber the natural mousy brown hairs, hopefully before I reach "skunk stripe" stage. This waffle is probably not too helpful, but what's more important at this point? low-to-no maintenance color, or the look of the red? That's the decision, I think.

Capybara
July 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM
You're beautiful both ways!

Have you considered growing out your natural colour, but adding in subtle strawberry blonde/red highlights and lowlights? I'm not sure if this would be as high - or higher - maintenance as the full red colour, but at least it would show roots less?

Deb!
July 13th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I vote natural. Not that I get a vote.

Me too.

You have a delicate face and though the red brings out the color of your eyes, it overpowers you (IMO).

bunnii
July 13th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I think you look great either way, but I do lean towards dark hair :D and I love love love red hair so I vote red. Plus it really does bring out your eyes.

dropinthebucket
July 13th, 2010, 07:47 AM
i agree - if you're wanting to have long hair forever (!), it's a lot easier to go ash blonde to grey, than bright red to grey - way less demarcation, way less obvious, you can keep all your length - if you grow to classic or beyond, you could end up with red hair from BSL down, and ash and grey down to that, unless you made the commitment to just dye it forever and ever, and we're talking how many years down the line? my grandmother hennaed her hair all through the 50s and 60s - it was beautiful, red, down to her feet - in the 70s, she was told she should use professional colour - so she did - she never had it past her waist again, it was too fragile, and she ended up coloring until she was 85, at which point she decided it was a pain, so she got all her hair cut off and went white. now she's 95, with a little white topknot! but still going strong! :)

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 07:50 AM
How about a milder strawberry blonde all over?

The contrast from your roots won't be so noticeable, so you can go longer between treatments. But you'll still get your red that you like, too.

You could add in some coppery streaks here and there for more of a "visual red" effect, and still avoid the root-contrast problem.

Beesweet
July 13th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Good question, Dars !!
I really only have maintenance because my hair grows so fast and my ashy roots look crazy next to the copper red. It doesn't fade on me, in fact it's only a Demi color I used, and when I finally decided to go back to a natural color, I had to bleach the Demi color out because it was never going to fade away.
I have contemplated henna, and I almost did it, but I would be left with the same issue I already have, these darn ashy roots. And if I can't get a Demi color to fade from my hair, imagine if I decided henna was not right for me ! I am just so chicken........

Well, you have a lot of hair to grow out if henna isn't for you, that's for sure. Henna is wonderful, but it will leave you with roots, just like any other color, of course. I really struggled with my roots showing -- it drove me nuts, so I was constantly doing henna applications.Then my henna got too dark and I didn't like it so I ended up cutting very short. I now have a much lighter henna/cassia gloss that leaves me with subtle changes, but no roots. And short hair.

You look AMAZING with both colors. I guess this makes the decision harder, huh?
If you don't mind constantly coloring, do the red. You look wonderful with it. If you don't want the hassle, stay natural. Your natural color is very nice. If you had a mousy color, I would say color, but your natural blond is pretty. Think about making that appointment and forking over the dollars every six to eight weeks.

Too bad you are in such a pickle -- gorgeous hair, gorgeous face, two colors that look perfect on you. Poor you. :D

Herb
July 13th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I like the light red you've got going on. I think it works nice with the ashy-blonde roots. Your natural color is beautiful.

cindy58
July 13th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I'm a fan of the benefits of keeping one's natural color, but I do love the photos in your album when you were red. You are a gorgeous lady!

irisheyes
July 13th, 2010, 08:18 AM
You look beautiful in both hair colors. I can't decide either! But if you want to keep long hair, I'd say less is more. Meaning the less you do to it, the better your hair condition will be.

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Too bad you are in such a pickle -- gorgeous hair, gorgeous face, two colors that look perfect on you. Poor you. :D

She sure does have it rough, doesn't she, Bee? :lol: :p

bumblebums
July 13th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Natural, natural, natural.

FrannyG
July 13th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I'm definitely not one of those people who is against changing your hair colour (I do it myself), so my opinion is what I truly feel from seeing your photos.

My honest opinion is that your natural colour is not only extremely beautiful, but very flattering to your skin tone.

However, it's your hair, your decision, and if you truly love copper, and that's where your heart lies, then go with it. Only you really know the answer to this one.

I can't wait to hear what you decide. Please keep us updated. :blossom:

Bianca
July 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Natural :)

juliaxena
July 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Since I'm the only person in the world who is not very fond of red, I'd vote natural, but then again noone gave me a vote.

triumphator!
July 13th, 2010, 09:19 AM
I think natural would be a good change

spidermom
July 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Ever thought about going with a non-permanent color so that it gradually fades away and you don't have to deal with root touch-ups unless you feel like renewing the color.

UltraBella
July 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Beesweet and Gru, you two make me chuckle. This is a tough decision for me ! And my hairstylist just moved my appointment to Friday instead of Thursday, so now I have another whole day to ponder. I have talked myself out of both colors several times already ! A hair decision has never been this hard for me before, I am not sure why I am being so difficult..........
Now I am considering foiling a warm Demi color through my roots to soften up the difference between natural and what is still colored. And maybe a few highlights. That might brighten me up so I quit feeling like it's so dull and it will all still blend nicely with my natural color.
If I keep missing the red I will go back, but I think I should atleast try to embrace what I have now.
I most likely will change my mind 13 times before Friday !!!!!

UltraBella
July 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Spidermom, that copper red is a non-permanent color. They just don't fade on me. Once it's on my head, bleach is the only thing that will remove it. My hair must be quite porous or something...... We used the same copper red on my daughter's hair just for fun and within five weeks it had totally washed out !

spidermom
July 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
My hair holds onto color really well, too. I still have faint traces of the Punky Rose-Red that I did the day before Easter.

Paniscus
July 13th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I can see why that is a hard decision; they're both lovely colors on you. I'm not sure how funky you could go, I mean, what your *style* is, but have you ever considered just adding a few strawberry blond (so it's not such a contrast) streaks? I've been noticing a lot of people adding bright, contrasting streaks to their hair at LHC and it's daring and looks good! If you had some of that red around your face, you may get to have the best of both worlds- your natural color with little to no touch ups, and that *pop* factor with your eyes. Actually, if you went with some extreme red streaks around your face- it would certainly be funky and unique! And the updos would look really cool.

I dunno. If it were me, I'd stay natural. Keep looking at your old pix, you'll figure out eventually what you want to do. And if you are like most women, you may regret it a month later :) Sigh. But it is just hair, it can grow or be changed back.

May
July 13th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I prefer the dark blond with highlights (AKA natural) :) Good luck and keep us posted!

BrightEyes7
July 13th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I like your natural color a lot better... it is much softer.

Plus low maintenance is always best in my opinion.

hockeygirl256
July 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Both look good, but I think the red is more striking and stylish. I say stick with the red if you like it. Yeah it will require upkeep, but maybe it's one indulgence that you shouldn't deny yourself :) You love red, be a redhead.

Anje
July 13th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Tough one, since they both look good on you.

In your shoes, I'd probably go natural, perhaps occasionally using one of those really non-permanent rinse haircolors to go toward a more strawberry blond. But I don't like high-maintenance anything. I took to hennaing my nails because it's lower maintenance than polish, got nails that don't split anymore and don't need polish to hide the peeling, and now dislike having to henna them every week or two! I henna my roots only every few months, but that's because the roots are only slightly less red than the rest of it.

1nuitblanche
July 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
UltraBella, you are entirely gorgeous either way! When I saw the picture of you with all natural hair, I was like "no way another colour will be that beautiful on her", but then I saw the picture of you with red hair, and it is more striking because of the contrast. So, I think that if you're going to go for red hair, now would be the time, since it might get harsh with later (not that you look old by any means). But, I still think that the blonde is lovely and that it will get better with time. So, because you also dislike the maintenance of the red, I vote for blonde.

littlenvy
July 13th, 2010, 11:40 AM
WOW!!
hmmm .. this is hard.
I love the way your eyes change colour with the hair.
The copper looks very dramatic and makes your green eyes really stand out.
But the natural looks so nice and lovely and soft. It also has such great highlights.
It also looks so nice with your skin. :)

So my vote is for natural.

sugarpixie10988
July 13th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I love both! I think I'd have to say go for the natural though, just for the sake of less maintenance. If your red truly makes you happier though, I say do the red!

alabaster
July 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I really like the look of your natural colour and would personally pay a lot of money if i could get it from a bottle, but it sounds to me that you are in love with the red. I say go with what makes you feel most beautiful.... Isn't that the whole point of changing our hair colour?

GlassEyes
July 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I think both are nice, but I prefer the red.

And not to like, rain on your parade, or anything--but the 'youthful' effect of the first picture may have mroe to do with the sunlight than the hair color. It's kind of exposed.

Not that you look old or anything, I just want to point that out.

ptnicole
July 13th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Red looks amazing on you!

Dani
July 13th, 2010, 01:08 PM
And not to like, rain on your parade, or anything--but the 'youthful' effect of the first picture may have mroe to do with the sunlight than the hair color. It's kind of exposed.

Oh, I thought for sure that was the blur tool in PS. I didn't even think of it having to do with the sunlight.

I prefer your natural color by far. It just looks like you. :) And I for one would definitely never "strangle you" for cutting 8 inches off in the last year! Why would I, or anyone on here, care that you trimmed a lot?? :p Do what makes you happy, of course- staying natural, coloring, or trimming.

tinti
July 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I like your natural color a bit more, but that's maybe because I'm a wannabe blonde with copper redish brown hair. But you look great with both.

Willheit
July 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Not sure if this will help in your decision at all, but you may find it very difficult to return to your former (natural) color without dying it regularly. Red dye sometimes (don't ask me how, I'm only sharing from experience) darkens the natural color. When I went from blonde to red and tried to go back, the red had darkened my natural color to a medium brown. I asked some hair stylists and apparently this is really common when people go red. Would have been nice to know before I went red!!!

UltraBella
July 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I have changed my mind three times today already. Blonde, red, blonde..... maybe some of both ! Good grief, I wish tomorrow was Friday so I would have to make a decision and stick with it.

Linnykinz
July 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
They both look great on you, but I would definitely go for a more natural, considering it's summer and usually that's when hair grows the fastest, no? ;) That would be a PITA to keep up with those roots. Or maybe go for a color more in-between red and your natural, so it's not too obvious?

UltraBella
July 13th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Oh boy..... My stylist just asked me if I was going with bangs or no bangs, lol. Had not even tackled that decision yet, I have had both and liked it both ways. There is more to decide than I was planning !

UPDATE : I just posted a new thread, with new pics, for the bangs or no bangs. You all are going to get sick of me by Friday !!!

HairFaerie
July 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hmmmm...personally, I like the blonde, no bangs. Just my opinion. It looks very nice red but I do like your natural color more. You have the perfect face shape for no bangs!

teela1978
July 13th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I like the blonde... but as it sounds like you prefer the red (and your opinion is really the one that matters), I think the question is how much are you willing to give up for the red? Do you want the extra hour or two every 4-6 weeks to go do fun stuff, or do you want to spend it getting your roots touched up? Different people will have different answers to that question.

iwonder
July 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
My two cents is to keep is natural! Trust me I've natural since 2007 and it has saved me so much time and money. Plus my hair feels so soft and silky compared to my processed hair!

little_acorn
July 13th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Natural, though I love the red too :)

ButterCream
July 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I think you look so lovely in your natural haircolor also!
I vote natural:)

PS. You have a face that really suits having no bangs, but you look good with bangs too!

...ok, I am NO help here...:o

jane53
July 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I know you've probably posted this somewhere, UltraBella, but how much are you planning on getting cut?

I getting a cut too--in Thursday. I think I'll get 2-3 inches off and go back to hip length.

chelseamichelle
July 13th, 2010, 03:11 PM
It's really hard to decide! You look great either way, so i guess i comes down to what you're willing to do maintenance wise.

PiroskaCicu
July 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Wow! It is certainly hard to decide... you look beautiful and natural with your blonde, and it's very soft and pretty...but the red certainly is "beloved". It makes your eyes stand out so much!

However if you are tired of the upkeep- I say go natural....otherwise...long live the red! :P

Crysania
July 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM
your natural color + no bangs is what I vote for :)

xoxophelia
July 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Ultrabella- You said you own salons so I was wondering, if you go back to your natural color, how are you going to do it? Will you just grow out the roots and wait or will you do something to the length of your hair? (I'm currently growing out dye so I was wondering what somebody who knows their stuff would do)

rusika1
July 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Natural and no bangs--how many people come into your salons wanting that exact color!

(You could always go with a light strawberry blonde as a compromise)

UltraBella
July 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Ultrabella- You said you own salons so I was wondering, if you go back to your natural color, how are you going to do it? Will you just grow out the roots and wait or will you do something to the length of your hair? (I'm currently growing out dye so I was wondering what somebody who knows their stuff would do)
I have been in the process of getting closer to my natural color. I foiled quite a bit of the bright copper red with bleach and deposited a neutral tone over it, and then foiled in some lighter highlights over my whole head. So that left me with part red, part neutral blonde, and part lighter blonde. So my blonde growing in blends much better, the third picture of my roots is EXACTLY what I have now, just more root growth. I only bleached the one time, and I do not want to do it again.
If I continue on my quest for more natural hair color, I will just foil a FEW warm tones of a Demi-color through my roots, just barely foil a few highlights, and let it keep growing out. Eventually as I trim my ends I will have less and less red and more and more of my natural color. And each time I foil I will do less and less.
I think it's a pretty good plan.
If only I didn't love the red so much.......:p

pepperminttea
July 13th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Both look stunning, but if it were me I'd stay with the natural colour for the low root maintenance - but if you can keep up with that, well, whatever you're most comfortable with. :)

LisaJaney
July 13th, 2010, 09:34 PM
With a face as pretty as that, either color works. I personally prefer the natural (it matches your skintone so perfectly, which is not to say that the red doesnt -- I just like the dark blonde better) and it's easier (cheaper) to maintain, so that'd be my vote. :)

xoxophelia
July 13th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I have been in the process of getting closer to my natural color. I foiled quite a bit of the bright copper red with bleach and deposited a neutral tone over it, and then foiled in some lighter highlights over my whole head. So that left me with part red, part neutral blonde, and part lighter blonde. So my blonde growing in blends much better, the third picture of my roots is EXACTLY what I have now, just more root growth. I only bleached the one time, and I do not want to do it again.
If I continue on my quest for more natural hair color, I will just foil a FEW warm tones of a Demi-color through my roots, just barely foil a few highlights, and let it keep growing out. Eventually as I trim my ends I will have less and less red and more and more of my natural color. And each time I foil I will do less and less.
I think it's a pretty good plan.
If only I didn't love the red so much.......:p

Sounds like if you go for it you won't have a difficult transition which is a plus. I don't have the money or know how to pull it off myself so I guess I am stuck with two toned hair ^_^'

Rini
July 13th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I can TOTALLY relate to your dilemma!! I was a bright copper henna head for years, which I loved so much but the maintenance of having blonde roots just got too much. I eventually bit the bullet and went back to my natural blonde. Occasionally I get the urge to go red again (eg my Elumen experiment a couple of months ago), but I think I will stick with natural from now on. I'm just too lazy!!

My advice would be to go with the natural colour, but......as I said.....I'm lazy! hehe Either way, you look very beautiful with both colours :inlove:

Aurantia
July 14th, 2010, 12:30 AM
UltraBella, oh I feel you on this one!

I have always longed for deep red hair with huge, looping curls -- whenever my hair has been altered color-wise, it has been to a red shade. Sadly, I am unable to pull off my dream color the way that you can. Having browsed your photo album, I would have guessed that the red was your natural color without additional clues. It looks phenomenal.

That said, and my bias toward long, red curly hair stated clearly, I would definitely recommend you go natural.

The picture of you with your blond hair up simply doesn't do it justice -- when comparing all pictures of you with red hair against the picture of you in your signature, the red doesn't even hold a candle.

The red masks the incredible variety of tones, highlights and lowlights in your natural color and changes the soft texture. I don't think your blond is getting the credit it deserves; it may not be as instantly striking as the red but it only takes a moment to see how truly beautiful the shade is. Evident even in the picture of your roots.

Also, if you decide to go natural it will be very easy to go back to red whenever you choose -- not so the other way.

And no bangs! ;)

ETA: Maybe I should mention that I first tried all over permanent dye last year (yep, red: see my profile pic if you're curious). While I absolutely loved the color, the upkeep was awful due to my weed-like growth. Save for the first few days after coloring, I was never without roots.

I think your hair growth speed exceeds mine, so I can imagine it would be a huge pain regardless of whether cost is negligent.

KahlanAmnell
July 14th, 2010, 12:52 AM
You could pull off either color well. Your natural color has really pretty differences in color that I like a bit more than the red. I love red hair too though, so I can understand the dilemma. LOL

Sunsailing
July 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM
I'll have to come clean on something before I give my opinion....I LOVE red hair. Always have, always will.

I was so disappointed when I found out that you were not a natural redhead, because it looks soooo natural on you! :)
Your eye color, skin tone, etc.. just look great with the red.

Even though blonde is my least favorite hair color, you do look good with your natural color.

I do know what it's like to keep up with color on fast growing hair, so that does come into consideration. But since you own a couple of salons, it must not be too inconvenient in regards to time.

Keep in mind, this is from a man's perspective :cool: .

lapushka
July 14th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'd leave the red alone! You look so much nicer with your natural hair, IMMHO. I used to be red too when I was younger, the upkeep is horrible and whatever I did, I could not make it look natural on me.

growing2shine
July 14th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I think that you look very beautiful with both colours, but I think you should go natural. :D

UltraBella
July 15th, 2010, 12:13 AM
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's advice and opinions, thank you all so much !
I admit it, I am still undecided and I have to figure it out very soon. Atleast it is comforting to know that either color will be okay.
:)
I will post pics on Friday as soon as I get home !

UltraBella
July 15th, 2010, 09:16 PM
12 hours left until my appointment.

chelssix
July 15th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Somewhat late, but I like your natural color best. It looks more unique to me, and I don't find it dull at all. It's similar to what a lot of my clients want, when they go blonde.

hmmm
July 16th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I want to know what you chose!

KittyLost
July 16th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I am no help! You look stunning with both!

UltraBella
July 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Pics are posted in a new thread entitled HAIR APPOINTMENT RESULTS. Check it out if you have a free moment :)