PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite bedtime /sleep /night hairstyle?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MusicLady
May 15th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I've been doing my hair in a loose single braid for years, and it mostly seems to work for me. I'm concerned, though, that even though I try to keep the length from being trapped under me as I sleep, I don't always manage it. My ends tend to get really dry and tangly, and I'm wondering if part of the problem is damage from the nighttime braid. I use a satin pillowcase, so my head hair is pretty protected. The braid is the most comfortable for me. I used to do a high bun, but it's not as comfortable.

What works for you?

Paniscus
May 15th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I actually haven't done the satin pillowcase yet (shame on me), but I do wear my hair in two braids. It seems to work for me.

Like you, buns are too uncomfortable for me.

MemSahib
May 15th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Loose.

Since I have to have at least 10 characters in my message, I'll add this sentence. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

wolf girl
May 15th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I am a bun girl. I pile it very high on top of my head and secure it with a scruchy. When I take it down in the morning, it makes me have beauitful waves. :cheese: I also have a satin pillow case.

Hypnotica
May 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I mist my hair with water, then put in a low ponytail and tie it down the length.

Islandgrrl
May 15th, 2008, 10:24 AM
I tend to favor buns at the moment. My hair's at a length right now where the braid just bothers me when I'm sleeping. I'm making a loose-ish bun toward the top of the back of my head and securing it with either my fakkare or scrunchie.

Sometimes I even sleep with my hair loose.....shhhhh...don't tell!

akka naeda
May 15th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Single plait or sometimes double, but they get in the way more, and then I oil the end. The oil is all absorbed, it does leave the ends soft.

You could perhaps try wrapping the plait in something to protect it more, I never could get anything to stay on though.

MusicLady
May 15th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Loose.

:rolleyes:

Yikes!! Loose for me would equal an hour of detangling in the morning!

MusicLady
May 15th, 2008, 10:32 AM
You could perhaps try wrapping the plait in something to protect it more, I never could get anything to stay on though.

Hadn't thought of that - maybe some kind of little satin, drawsting bag? My DH nixed the satin sleep cap. I thought it was perfect! It didn't speak to him.

MusicLady
May 15th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I am a bun girl. I pile it very high on top of my head and secure it with a scruchy. When I take it down in the morning, it makes me have beauitful waves. :cheese: I also have a satin pillow case.

I never have mastered the art of holding a bun together with a scrunchie. I'm totally envious!

ladystar
May 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
In a loose braid, with satin sheets.

Sceleste
May 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Sometimes I braid my hair to bed but if I don't want hair to be wavy in the morning I do a loose bun on top of my head and secure with a very very short stick. It loosens when I turn in my sleep but usually holds till morning.

MakeItADouble
May 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Usually loose. It may tangle a bit in my sleep, but nothing I can't comb out in the morning.

Sometimes I will put it in a big messy bun on top of my head with a scrunchie, but those usually fall out, and I'm back to square one.

Chamomilemaiden
May 15th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I generally wear them loose, but then my hair arenīt really long so it may change if they happen to grow. Occasionaly I wear braid or just leave my day updo. But my hair tend to get more tangly lately (may be the bad ends or I donīt know), so Iīm deciding to do braid more regularly, but I donīt know yet.
Oh, and when I sleep with loose hair I tend to put them upward my head. They slip down during the night, but itīs just a habit I learnt when I didnīt want to lie on them.

Delenn
May 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Try using a single knee high stocking or something soft like that over a braid and secure with elastics.

Me personally I just sleep with a braid or it's loose. I should pay more attention to it but....

twilight
May 15th, 2008, 02:43 PM
ahhhh i have been sleeping with a braid for the last month or so (when my hair all of a sudden got really long) but i'm not satisfied with it. the waves are nice, and it brushes out easily, but... eh. it still gets frizzed out because the fine hairs don't stay stuck in the braid.

i need a new sleep-style. i've been thinking of braiding it with a scarf as one strand but i'm not sure that would really help. definitely can't do a bun though--i toss and turn enough that i will definitely wake up "loose" and frustrated.

CherishedOne
May 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
loose 'n' free! ;)

loves2spin
May 15th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I wear mine in 2 braids - like the woman in "I Remember Momma." :)

AJoifulNoise
May 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
One day a week I wear a braid to bed, but that's because I do an over-night oiling the night before I shampoo. All other nights it is loose.

frizzinator
May 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I've done the silk pillowcase for many years, and it eliminates hair being trapped. I tried buns and braids, but loose in a silk scarf tied up front like "Rosie the Riviter" plus the silk pillowcase is my favorite sleeping solution for long hair.

psvzum
May 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I put my hair in a single braid to sleep.

Pierre
May 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I pile the hair on top and put a Buff over it, except on nights when I henna, in which case I make a bun on top, secure it with a hair scroo, apply the henna, and cover the whole thing with Saran Wrap. I haven't yet gotten the middle longer than the sides, but it does seem to be growing.

Haith
May 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I leave my hair loose or put it into a loose braid. I don't usually brush or detangle my hair, so I don't need to worry about that in the morning. My hair pretty much looks the same whether I walk, sit, lie down, or sleep on it. I have never gone and gotten myself a satin pillowcase, but perhaps I will try it.

CountessDeJager
May 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I'm concerned, though, that even though I try to keep the length from being trapped under me as I sleep, I don't always manage it. My ends tend to get really dry and tangly, and I'm wondering if part of the problem is damage from the nighttime braid.

My husband has scribbly looking ends and I think he sleeps on them sometimes but also blame the chairs at his office. The end of his ponytail always gets rubbed between his back and the chair back. Since people remain mostly still at night I think daytime wear probably has more effect than sleep styles, at least in his case.

Me? I wear a loose halo held in place by a painters cap if I'm not wearing my hair loose.

Dianyla
May 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'm loose in bed. :smirk:

CountessDeJager
May 15th, 2008, 06:51 PM
As if we are surprised. :p With your hefty hair, I'd wonder if your hair moves you around at night!

MemSahib
May 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Since people remain mostly still at night I think daytime wear probably has more effect than sleep styles, at least in his case.Still? Not I. I sleep energetically or not at all. (Often it's not at all, sigh.) I drape my hair over the pillow and down into the crack between the mattress and headboard.

lynnala
May 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Single or double braids, and I then rub a homemade lotion bar on the ends to protect them and keep the braids in place. Silk/satin pillowcase.

Essassani
May 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I don't do anything to my hair when I go to sleep, so loose! :D

mrs carol
May 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I wear mine in a long braid most of the time, once in a while I put it up on top of my head in a bun.

thetokenlady
May 15th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Loose and it's a tangled mess in the morning. I used to do a scrunchy bun on the top of my head, but it won't hold any more. Then I did a braid, but that's been getting wrapped around my neck ("death by braid choking" is not a nice thought!). So now my latest try is a crown braid.

I love crown braids, they seem so elegant and I really suck at them. Since it's a comfortable sleep style I make one every night and secure the loose "tail" with a couple of small claw clips on the top of my head. Someday I may actually get good enough at the style to wear it out!

dukkelisa
May 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM
For the life of me, I cannot master the single braid down the back. So I never wear a braid during the day. At night, I alternate between a single braid to either side and the two braids. I can't do the satin pillow case either, I feel sweaty. I like cool cotton.

I always lightly oil my hands before braiding.

Indigo Girl
May 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I always wear a single braid to bed, it protects my hair the best.

I haven't gotten a satin pillowcase yet, think I will in the near future.

Amara
May 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I like a figure 8 bun on the top of my head secured by two hair scroos. It never falls out, gets in my way, or anything. Ends are protected all the way and I'm not rolling on hair.

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I hate buns for sleeping, it always causes me big pain. A lot of the time I wear it loose and face the horrible consequences the next day (shame on me!!!) and my hair is very unhappy afterwards since I toss and turn a lot, but sometimes I remember to braid it. My hair is always so much happier when I braid it. (well, so much less sad, comparatively, anyway).

Haldir
May 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I leave my hair out to sleep... no braids or anything. I can't stand my hair being pulled together and tied up... it's really uncomfortable haha.

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I leave my hair out to sleep... no braids or anything. I can't stand my hair being pulled together and tied up... it's really uncomfortable haha.

hehe. I get like that sometimes, thankfully not all the time with my hair. :rolleyes: :D

PseudoScot
May 15th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I love my satin pillowcase and because of them it's probably why I still wear my hair loose, but I am considering trying double sleep braids. We'll see. But if you don't have a satin pillowcase get one! They are lovely! Especially in the summer, they stay cool...

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I love my satin pillowcase and because of them it's probably why I still wear my hair loose, but I am considering trying double sleep braids. We'll see. But if you don't have a satin pillowcase get one! They are lovely! Especially in the summer, they stay cool...

I had a lovely sateen pillowcase that I used till I got my king-sized pillow. Now my pillowcase is not as hair-friendly. :(
I need to get a happier pillowcase, but just don't feel like looking for one. haha

snowbear
May 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Currently a bun, but I'm outgrowing it. :wail:

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Currently a bun, but I'm outgrowing it. :wail:

Awwww, but think of it this way! It gives you a nice excuse to learn how to do all kinds of interesting and different braids if you haven't already. :p

Patrycja
May 16th, 2008, 07:39 AM
its either down(on wash night),a cinnabun held with a elastic so actually its a squished bun but that tends to destroy my hair these days(giving up that one)or I do three braids if I want braid waves(another wash night do)

k_hepburn
May 16th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Another loose nights girl here. I really like letting my hair down at night, and seem to have perfected the method of instinctively re-arranging my hair when turning over. My hair doesn't tangle during the night either. The only time when I was experiencing troubles with sleeping with my hair open was when, living overseas, I initially slept in polycotton sheets and duvet / pillow cases. So those were replaced by cotton ones fairly quickly.

Personally, I don't think I could sleep with a braid - I'd feel like the princess on the pea whenever lying on the elasticated tassel, and high buns are out of the question too since forcing the hairs to lie against their natural direction of growth would be bound to give me hair root ache regularly.

katharine

FlowerHair
May 16th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I loosely twist my hair (rope braid) in one twist and pin it on top of my head with a hair comb. It looks like one fat braid/bun. :)

I can't sleep when my hair is tightly set or when my hair is to bulky under the back of my head...

snowbear
May 16th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Awwww, but think of it this way! It gives you a nice excuse to learn how to do all kinds of interesting and different braids if you haven't already. :p
Except I can't stand sleeping in braids. :razz:

CountessDeJager
May 17th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Still? Not I. I sleep energetically or not at all. (Often it's not at all, sigh.) I drape my hair over the pillow and down into the crack between the mattress and headboard.

You have a good point there. Trying to picture sleepers peaceful children and napping grandparents came to mind. Never mind I flop around over and over some nights like the constantly rotating hot dogs on the grill at 7-11. :rolleyes: Those nights my hair definitely goes in a hat.

kitana
May 17th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Hi! New here (already posted in the newbs section), but I usually sleep in a low braid with a silk "doo-rag"/bandana over my head. Usually onyly one braid, but sometimes 2.

Nynaeve
May 17th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Except I can't stand sleeping in braids. :razz:

That's too bad. :( maybe you could do some super cool braids, pin them up and put them in a snood. It would look cool, even if you risked waking up with a net on your face and screaming about the mob. :p

snowbear
May 17th, 2008, 01:34 AM
That's too bad. :( maybe you could do some super cool braids, pin them up and put them in a snood. It would look cool, even if you risked waking up with a net on your face and screaming about the mob. :p
Heh, it's okay. I have a hairstick I'm outgrowing that I used last night, and it works well. I'm not willing to sacrifice looking sane for the sake of my hair. :lol:
I'm an energetic sleeper, as my SO can attest to. I turn over too much to warrant braids on any part of my body. Plus, my braids are gargantuan.

Sarahmoon
May 17th, 2008, 05:02 AM
I wear it in a braid and always love taking it out in the morning and discovering how soft, wavy and not-tangly it is. I still remember the days when I wore it in a ponytail at night...

If your braid tassle couses problems, try folding your braid or put a sock around the tassle or so, or just put a lot of oil in it the night before.

liseling
May 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM
I use a scrunchie: I pull the hair through once as if I'm going to do a pony tail, and then as I'm pulling the hair through the next twist of the scrunchie I leave it halfway so it's basically in a big loop. I've been wearing my hair to bed like this for years.

Melisande
May 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I put a silk scarf over my pillow, sometimes I cover my head with a silk scarf, too, but it usually comes out.

I either wear a side braid at night, or three little bee butt buns (give great root lift and bun waves) on the top of my head. Sometimes I do two French braids but only if I really really feel like it.

I think being contained is good for my hair. I always oil it before I go to sleep.

My big problem is the temple area. Hair breaks off there and whatever I do, I can't stop the breakage. So there must be something I do wrong in spite of the silk and the oil... and I guess I'll open a thread about it. YES.

eresh
May 17th, 2008, 09:11 AM
A braid starting high on my head, then I put it in the little "gutter" I created above my pillow.

Meli
May 17th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I almost always sleep with two braids. Occasionally I do only one braid, but it is not as comfortable if I do it at the back. One side-braid is more comfortable, but then I have this problem with my short, broken hairs slipping out of the braid and cause tangles on the opposite side...

I use silk pillowcases too, and I have just sewed satin "socks" to provide further protection for my braids. Unfortunately the socks slipped right out, so I have to find some better way to secure them.

lookingglass
May 18th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Single braid for me!

joyful373
May 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I have to laugh about the sleep cap... my DH nixed that idea too... not the most attractive accessory. I usually alternate between a single braid, a high bun, or a sleep tail. I make sure and oil the ends when I put it up though. I tried to sleep with it down, but most nights for me are reminiscent of the Countess' 7-11 analogy. :)

Aqualily30
May 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Pulled into a pony tail with 3 scrunchies all down the length.:)

Gumball
May 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I'd have to go with a regular 3-strand braid secured with a scrunchie. Sleeping on a satin pillowcase makes for some not-so-bad unbraiding/detangling in the morning. Sometimes I have to position it differently if I end up on my back, but I'm usually a side sleeper so it doesn't get in the way really.

Cheery
May 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I'm bad... I wear it loose (don't yell at me please). The main reason why I don't braid it or anything is because I wash my hair before bed, thus it is wet. If I do something with it it will dry that way.

morningstar
May 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I have two braids tonight but sometimes one side braid. My hair is just getting long enough that when I don't braid or tie it up somehow it will look like a wild woman. I am also finding that my ends get drier at this newer length. I bought a satin pillow case and will be using it as soon as I find it. I am going to make some satin braid covers or something.

Nynaeve
May 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Heh, it's okay. I have a hairstick I'm outgrowing that I used last night, and it works well. I'm not willing to sacrifice looking sane for the sake of my hair. :lol:
I'm an energetic sleeper, as my SO can attest to. I turn over too much to warrant braids on any part of my body. Plus, my braids are gargantuan.

Haha.
A hairstick to bed though? That would lead to mishaps for me. I have outstanding luck when it comes to things going awry. :rolleyes:
I turn over a whole lot, and frequently wake up on top of a braid. Or on top of a cat... either one. :D

Tap Dancer
May 19th, 2008, 04:19 AM
I have some of these satin pillowcases (http://www.tenderheaded.com/bridsatpil.html) and silk sleep bonnets (http://www.tenderheaded.com/sislbo.html) but I usually use cotton pillowcases and sleep with my hair loose. LOL

loves2spin
May 19th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I have two braids tonight but sometimes one side braid. My hair is just getting long enough that when I don't braid or tie it up somehow it will look like a wild woman. I am also finding that my ends get drier at this newer length. I bought a satin pillow case and will be using it as soon as I find it. I am going to make some satin braid covers or something.

For the dry end problem, morningstar, if you have soft water, have you ever considered using a good moisturizing shampoo bar? That is what I do now. Actually I made my own, and the dry ends have gone away.

morningstar
May 19th, 2008, 06:53 AM
For the dry end problem, morningstar, if you have soft water, have you ever considered using a good moisturizing shampoo bar? That is what I do now. Actually I made my own, and the dry ends have gone away.

I need to take better care of my hair now that it is growing longer. I have been sorta neglecting it. :rolleyes: If you have a recipe and care to share it let me know. :D

Les
May 19th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I always sleep with my hair in a single braid. Sometimes English, but occasionally French. I try to start the braid at different points to try and prevent the day-over-day braidwaves from being at the same spot and causing stress. It seems to work well for me, about the only problem I have is it wrapping around my neck - I toss & turn a lot. I don't think I could do a bun unless I put it really high on my head.

LadyMoon11
May 19th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Loose unless I have it damp bunned or braided with an oil treatment on it.

LaCitoyenne
May 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM
On days when I can take my time to detangle the next morning, I often leave it loose.

On other days I'll tie my hair in braids. I did that recently when I had to get up at 5:30 AM to go on a car trip; I just kept the braids in all day. Or if I know I'll go jogging the following morning, it just seems simpler to braid.

I also secure my hair by tying it up in a high knot over my head. When I take it down again, I have volume that lasts through several hours of work.

I really must try a French braid!

FrannyG
May 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM
My go-to style for sleep is generally a scrunchie bun on the top of my head. I used to wear braids, but I find the bun is better. :) No sleep caps here. :p

Sana
May 19th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I like to braid my hair to bed. But of late the layers refuse to stay in the braid. So am going to bed in a high scrunchie bun & am loving it.

snowbear
May 19th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Haha.
A hairstick to bed though? That would lead to mishaps for me. I have outstanding luck when it comes to things going awry. :rolleyes:
I turn over a whole lot, and frequently wake up on top of a braid. Or on top of a cat... either one. :D
If I recall correctly, it's a 5.5" stick, which means it's rapidly becoming too small for me.
However, for sleeping it's perfect, as I don't need to worry about blinding my SO.

shelleybean
May 19th, 2008, 07:26 PM
I usually do a single braid and have been since it was long enough to braid. Now that the braid is longer than my pillow I end up with the end wrapped around my neck or in my armpit. :(

I think I'll give the figure 8 on the top of my head a try and see if that works. I've not had much luck with buns holding or being comfortable. I'd like to get all the hair on my silk pillow instead of in my armpit. LOL!

harley mama
May 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Loose or a low braid.
Anything more is to much trouble.
I'm lazy about my hair these days!

1nuitblanche
May 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I tend to go for either a loose bun (if it can be called that: it's messy and kind of just half-pulled through a ponytail once or twice) on the top of my head or else in a French braid. If I shower at night, I put oil in it.

Nyghtingale
July 18th, 2008, 10:50 PM
How do you wear your hair when you sleep?
:confused:

Darkhorse1
July 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I used to braid mine, but when I started sleeping on my back, this caused problems. Now, I lay it above my head, on my pillow. My cats love to knead into it. :D ;)

Ohio Sky
July 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I used to braid for bed every night, but I find a bun to be more protective, and it doesn't get in the way even though I toss and turn all night.

Sofoulee
July 18th, 2008, 11:00 PM
A rope braid.. my hair seems to like that most. A bun seems to cause more damage for me. :confused:

Nyghtingale
July 18th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I used to braid mine, but my DH or cat would lay on it and I would be stuck, lol. Now i usually put it up in a bun. I saw the sleep cap talked about earlier, anone use those?

goldenwaves
July 18th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I just leave it out, but put it away from my face.

yldchyld
July 18th, 2008, 11:15 PM
it's usually in a braid or clipped in a big pile on top of my head.

daydreamer
July 18th, 2008, 11:58 PM
I used to do a bun, but found I had a lot of breakage that way. So I switched to sleeping with it loose thrown over my pillow (which has a satin cover), and that has to be one of the best things I've ever started doing for my hair. It almost always is happy hair when I wake up the next day!

Slug Yoga
July 19th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I used to braid mine, but my DH or cat would lay on it and I would be stuck, lol. Now i usually put it up in a bun. I saw the sleep cap talked about earlier, anone use those?

I did a couple times, but the elastic of the sleep cap left an annoying red line on my face. Probably because it was really cheap.

My cat loves to try to lick my hair. I find this really annoying, in part because I'm afraid the licking might somehow damage it. That rough cat tongue! Am I being silly?

freznow
July 19th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Single braid. Sometimes I just do bands down the length. Either way, I've never had difficulties no matter how I sleep. (I just pull the braid to the side. :shrug: doesn't bother me)

AprilElf
July 19th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I mostly wear a single braid. Sometimes I bun my hair as high on my head as I can manage. Occasionally I sleep with it loose.

nutsenmai
July 19th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I put my hair up in a bun for bed if it isn't already in one. I used to braid it, but it's gotten too long for that. :) As long as the bun is high enough on my head it doesn't get in the way when I sleep on my back.

I've slept with it loose, draped up over my pillow so it hangs off the bed, and that works great too, but with my husband and one-year-old in bed the bun works best. Nothing to get caught!

eadwine
July 19th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I used to bun it, but I am doing the no pulling at all on the hair game as much as possible, hopefully to fill in some spots on my head that I THINK may have suffered from things being too tight when I was shorter haired, so now I am braiding it at night, loosely.

Iylivarae
July 19th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I braid it or put it in a "Lara Croft Ponytail", that is, a ponytail wit scrunchies at different heights. I couldn't sleep with a bun.

winter_star
July 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I usually sleep with my hair out, but lately I've been braiding it before bed. That way the next day I have beautiful waves!

Periwinkle
July 19th, 2008, 04:04 AM
A Dianyla braid.

Chamomilemaiden
July 19th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I usually have my hair loose and lay it above my head. But at present we have a puppy, who I´m looking after at night, so I sleep downstairs on the floor and you never know what the puppy may decide to chew... so now I braid my hair, or if I ´m lazy I leave it in my day´s bun (just move it up a bit).

Meli
July 19th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I do two regular braids, with these I can sleep comfortably on both sides as well as on my back (I'm a restless sleeper and turn around a lot). I have tried buns, but I just can't sleep with bunned hair, and having it loose is a big no-no - I get lots of tangles and breakage if I do that. It also doesn't stay behind the pillow when I turn around, so it's at a great risk of being slept on when loose. So braids it is. A few weeks ago, I started to put the braids in satin pouches, and this has greatly reduced the amount of split ends. Coiled up in the pouches, the braids are well protected and they are not at risk of being slept on. An extra bonus with these pouches is that I don't have to tie off the braids - there is not enough room for them to unbraid more than a few inches.

Pierre
July 19th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I put it in a Buff, either braided or piled on top of my head. Last night I made two Dutch braids and then put the Buff on.

Diamondbell
July 19th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Double braids, both folded for the night! This is very comfortable...

pookatrina
July 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Either a french braid or a bun on top of my head like this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/Queen-Slug/100_3179x.jpg

janaana
July 19th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I wear a bun low down at the back near my neck and tie a scarf over my head as it still manages to get tangled otherwise. I really can't think how it gets so tangled, as I sleep on my front with my hands under the pillows.

Vainjane
July 19th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I ussually bun, but if it is already braided I will sleep in that. I have to keep it up as I toss & turn.

Vainjane
July 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Love the scarf idea, I will definately br trying that.

Forever_Sophie
July 19th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I braided it for the longest time but I never liked the way it made the ends look, so now I just put it in a low, loose ponytail. I hate the weight of my hair all over my back/moving it when I turn my head (I sleep on my stomach) but it's worth it the next day!

Curlsgirl
July 19th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Most of the time I wear it loose across the pillow. If I wear it up it's usually in a loose bun on top of my head with clips.

wavestogrow
July 19th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I put my hair in a bun with a bun cover. I am a rough sleeper so this has really kept the tangles and split ends down from all that tossing and turning and my hair rubbing against the pillow.

bunnii
July 19th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I usually braid, I find a bun on top of my head pulls at it too much, only problem with me braiding it is that its nearly always matted the morning after :(

Kiraela
July 19th, 2008, 12:27 PM
For the first night or so after I wash, it's loose while I sleep. After that, single english braid, although I don't really LIKE braiding it, since it always seems to be more tangly. Not to mention I can't sleep on my back with it braided, since my braids are so thick that it feels like I'm sleeping on rocks.

I've tried buns on top of my head, but it pulls too much and I can't sleep.

In general, loose is best for my hair(and my ability to get to sleep) but after it's a little greasy, it starts acting weird and I just get frustrated and braid it.

Elizabeth
July 19th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I place it on my pillow over my head. Braiding or bunning seems to cause breakage. I'm a restless sleeper.

ReadingRenee
July 19th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I do a loose bee butt bun on the top of my head and then pull the inner coil over the coil. this loosens the bun from pulling on my scalp hair as much and also helps keep it in place. Then I slide a couple of good day hair pins in it to hold it there. Then I put a velvet scrunchy over the whole bun without twisting the scrunchy, I just place it over the bun. this helps hold it in place without being too tight or pulling. I am someone that can't even wear a high ponytail or I get a headache and this method doesn't give me a head ache.

Its always still in place when I wake up. :)

almudena
July 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
My styles vary from a single braid to twin braids.
From time to time I do a loose bun on top, but my favourites so far are the above mentioned.

Molster
July 22nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
A high cinnabun held with hair-scroos. It doesn't matter whether I lay on front, back or sides - no hair in the way.

I found that if I try and sleep with a lower bun I wake up with neck ache for the next few days. Ocassionally I'll sleep in a single braid draped over my edge of the bed (if I don't keep it over my side my SO rolls on it and traps me!)

ladystar
July 22nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
I wear it in a braid, toss it up so DBF doesn't sleep on it. Sometimes when I am lazy I just put it in a low ponytail.

Les
July 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
I put mine in a braid when I sleep. Sometimes I take the braid and coil it into a circle to make a little rest for the back of my head. I'm a pretty restless sleeper, so that doesn't normally last long.

AJsGlory
July 22nd, 2008, 09:14 AM
On my head.:cool:

Ok seriously...usually in a high pony. It bothers me if anything is at my nape and a braid just looks horrendous when I wake up. I leave it loose on occasion. I used to wake up with beautiful curls if I went to sleep with it wet-not so much now.

AJ

Maravel
July 22nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
I am a daily or every-other-day washer, so I usually go to sleep with my hair in a damp bun on the top of my head. I make sure to leave it relatively loose, though, or else I can't sleep from all the pulling. Ouch!

I used to be able to get pretty curls from leaving wet hair down when I went to bed, but now I've noticed that it ends up flatter. I get more volume from the bun on top of my head.

froglet
July 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
I have a satin pillowcase and I leave my hair loose when I sleep. Sometimes I drape it up over the pillow but most of the time it just hangs down behind me since I sleep on my side. This thread has given me a few ideas to try though!

jtl45
July 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
tried just about every way possible and it really seems to differ from night to night! Typically I will keep it up in a braid, but if I shampoo before bed then I go with a bun!

NorthernDancer
July 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I either bun, braid, or a low ponytail. And very ocationally loose. I've found that if I do a very loose bun at the base of my neck it doesn't hurt when I sleep on my back. That may change as I get more hair, and thus a bigger bun....

MrsB
July 23rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
now that my hair has reached just below bra strap, I find it too long to be loose, so I have taken to a single braid usually a little to the right as I sleep on my left...

katiana
July 23rd, 2008, 08:46 AM
I sleep with a single braid..I have tried buns ( actually wish I could sleep with buns ) but find I get headaches with buns and I just could never get a restful sleep..I could just feel some of the weight on the top of my head and it would be uncomfortable for me..

danacc
July 27th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I wear a single loose braid pulled over one shoulder with nothing fastening it at the bottom. It doesn't unravel much even left loose, and it greatly reduces tangling. I switched to a silk pillowcase about 8 months ago, and that is helping with the hair at the hairline and the baby hairs that always escape the braid.

Saranne772
July 27th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Well, other than the nights when Im too lazy to do anything I tend to either stick it all in a snood or braid it loosely in one or tightly in two

kwaniesiam
July 27th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Right now loose but when longer I always did a single french or english braid.

DecafJane
July 27th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Last night I was at my parent's house, and I slept on a cotton pillow (when I normally sleep on satin). I had to put my hair up because it kept getting INTO my ears and irritating me, of all places!!! :D

ole gray mare
July 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I quiff the top and hold that with two bobby pins. Then I do a single braid down the back with an small seamless pony tail holder.

ycelong
July 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I wear a satin sleep cap. It has an elastic but I push it all the way to my hairline to avoid the ugly red line!! Hair is usually wavy in the morning from being tucked away - but i am a wavy/curly anyway :)

Samara Morgan
July 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I usually wear mine in a single English braid, but I used to wear bands round the length of it. Now I want to try it in a bun as I'm afraid that braiding it causes too much breakage for my liking lol :)

Finoriel
July 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
A single English braid is my all time favourite, but I occasionally leave in a dutch or french braid if I had one during the day. Yup Iīm that lazy :wink:

embee
July 27th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Used to put into a single braid, but lately have been using a fairly high bun. It generally holds well til morning and does not tangle as much and is cooler.

thankyousir74
July 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
french braid on a satin pillowcase :D

Tressie
July 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Since joining LHC I have tried sleeping in a loose single braid or putting my hair in a ponytail on top of my head and braiding the length. Then I go back to my former habit of a high ponytail with the length looped around and the ends tucked into the scrunchie. I tried tying a silk scarf over my head but it was off by the morning so I must be a restless sleeper! I have an old satin pillowcase which I may look up and try. I honestly didn't realize that sleeping on a regular cotton pillowcase could cause tangles and split ends! Where can you purchase a satin sleep cap?:)

Takethevitamin
July 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
When my Husband first witnessed my sleep-hair rituals, he smiled and remarked that he had never met another woman who was a classical lady, and did such a thing. I never really thought of it as vanity, or protecting my hair from anything -- it just damn annoys me to have to brush my heavy hair this or that way in bed, or to have it in my face.

And here I was thinking that every woman at least tied her hair back out of her face when she slept...?

I have to be pretty damn tired not to at least put it in a ponytail, or quick bun.

DeepRiver
July 27th, 2008, 09:51 PM
My hair is not long enough to cause me any discomfort while I am sleeping so it is usually down. However, after lurking here and finally joining, I starting to re-evalute my sleep habits as they pertain to my hair.

Gumball
July 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I braid mine. It's probably been the style that has worked the best for me while I sleep. Sometimes I toss and turn, but usually that's when I'm awake searching for the elusive comfy spot. When I'm fully asleep I'm a side sleeper so the braid keeps it behind me and out of the way.

socks
July 28th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I guess that I'm an oddball on these forums, since I usually sleep with my hair loose and dangling over the edge of the bed to the floor. I do prefer a satin pillowcase, but other than that, I don't do anything special for my hair when I sleep.

EvaSimone
July 28th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I am a braid person all the way and I usually sleep with it tossed over one shoulder.

AnimaSola3o4
July 28th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Totally depends on my mood.

My go-to style is a scrunchie bun high enough up so that it goes over my pillow, but not high enough to make my scalp hurt the next day. ;) It looks great when I let it down the next day too. I should add that this bun works great because it loosens up when i move around, and is so comfortable that I wear it like that the whole next day as long as I'm staying home. :)

OR, I pineapple on the very top of my head, but that's only if my curls look especially good and I want to preserve them. Doesn't really work for me at my length, my hair just flies everywhere even on top of the head.

OR (lol) I wear a sleep cap. I bought a satin sleep cap from the dollar store, and it works great for me. It's black and it doesnt leave a line on my forehead, because the weight of my hair pulls it back a few inches from my hairline.

Sometimes I combine more than one method. And sometimes I leave it loose. I usually reserve that for nights when I'm having a hard time falling asleep, because it's more comfortable to have it loose so it's easier to fall asleep. ;)

I canNOT braid my hair and expect to sleep. For some reason, it bothers the bejeezus outta me, when I move and it whacks me in the face or something. :/

AnimaSola3o4
July 28th, 2008, 01:36 AM
When my Husband first witnessed my sleep-hair rituals, he smiled and remarked that he had never met another woman who was a classical lady, and did such a thing. I never really thought of it as vanity, or protecting my hair from anything -- it just damn annoys me to have to brush my heavy hair this or that way in bed, or to have it in my face.

And here I was thinking that every woman at least tied her hair back out of her face when she slept...?

I have to be pretty damn tired not to at least put it in a ponytail, or quick bun.

Haha! Not to mention whipping your DH in the face with your hair in the middle of the night!! I always wonder about that when I sleep with my hair loose, because sometimes I am so tired that I just whip my hair over when I toss and turn, and I can hear it whipping on the bed. I always wonder what that would do to someone sleeping beside me haha.

AnimaSola3o4
July 28th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Since joining LHC I have tried sleeping in a Where can you purchase a satin sleep cap?:)

I found mine in the dollar store for like $1.50 and I love the thing. It basically looks like a shower cap of sorts, but a bit bigger and satin. I actually use mine inside out, so that the elastic isn't against my skin/hair, but the satin covered elastic is. Try ethnic hair care aisles. :) HTH!

Teazel
July 28th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I almost always have mine in a single plait for bed. It just follows me around as I move... sometimes it bugs me if I'm lying on it, but not enough to wake me if I'm asleep.

Occasionally when it's been bunned I've forgotten to plait it before bed, and if I'm too exhausted to bother I just let it down and crash. If it's still twisted it really doesn't seem to tangle much, thankfully.

Oh, and I always sleep on a satin pillowcase. Have done for many, many years.

Loreyanne_H
July 28th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I sometimes braid my hair, but some other times I just make a little bun or a high pomytail..It depends, I have no rules here...

MoonCreature
July 28th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Untill now I've always braided it, but I'm starting to have problems with the braid ending up under my back wich causes neck/backpain in the long run. So I've tried bunning (also causes neckpain) and now I'm trying a high pony that I then braid (hoping it will stay over the pillow where I put it when I go to sleep). Having it loose isn't an option, with four cats there are too much cat-hair that ends up in my hair and causes tangles... :rolleyes:

morgwn
July 28th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I've started recently using a sleep cap for bed, but we'll see if that last or not. I haven't decided. Otherwise it'll be back to a sleep braid.

mommy2one05
July 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I was just wondering for anybody who sleeps with their hair in a sleep cap of some sort:
does all your loose hair fit in it.....and if so how long is your hair
I have seen some of these (different syles) in the ethnic hair care stuff at walmart, but they all look pretty small so I didn't know if I could get my waist length hair in it.

AnimaSola3o4
July 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I was just wondering for anybody who sleeps with their hair in a sleep cap of some sort:
does all your loose hair fit in it.....and if so how long is your hair
I have seen some of these (different syles) in the ethnic hair care stuff at walmart, but they all look pretty small so I didn't know if I could get my waist length hair in it.

Mine fits all of my hair easily. It did when my hair was at waist length as well.

ItalianFlower
July 28th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Braid! I shed like twice as much without it. I'm going to start using satin sleeping cap, too...

Liluri
July 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I usually bun my hair but with my longer length these fall out easily as I can't hold all the loops so I'm switching to a loose braid straight up from the top of my head, this way my hair seems to stay out of the way.

iluvmy67cuda
July 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I roll my hair up like im going to make a bun, but the just put my silk cap on, and let it loose in the cap, without anything in my hair.
I use to braid it, then put it in the cap, but i have so much breakage, like a 'halo' of broken frizzed hair.
Well i still do, apparently NO MATTER WHAT I DO, its still there! ughhh. But sleeping in the cap with my hair loose is alot more comfortable and i dont get headaches anymore.

iluvmy67cuda
July 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Btw, i have a question, having it braided while you sleep doesnt damage hair? I just assumed that it was bad, thats part of the reason i stopped doing it. I just thought the 'friction' of tossing and turning would hurt it somehow even though it was in my cap.

What is the least damaging way to sleep w/ your long hair? Maybe i should start braiding again. I dunno, no matter what i do i still have horrible broken hair halo head LOL

berr
July 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I've tried a sleep cap. I can't keep one on my head. It's usually under the covers or on the floor by morning. If I've worn a bun during the day, I'll take out the clip and I just leave the hair in the coil. It stays fairly coiled all night. Otherwise I will leave it in a loose braid or loose and over the pillow. The thing I avoid is leaving elastics in my hair. I even use the non-dent really soft kind but I try not to put tension on my hair while I sleep. The only time I will wear an elastic while sleeping is at the end of my length to hold the braid.

Stagecoach
July 28th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Loose and flipped over the top of my pillow. Braids are uncomfortable and damaging. Buns give me a migrain just thinking about!

Tressie
July 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I found mine in the dollar store for like $1.50 and I love the thing. It basically looks like a shower cap of sorts, but a bit bigger and satin. I actually use mine inside out, so that the elastic isn't against my skin/hair, but the satin covered elastic is. Try ethnic hair care aisles. :) HTH!
Thanks AnimaSola3o4! It's good to hear that the caps aren't pricey (o: I visited your blog and you have bea-u-ti-ful hair!! Do you use henna for your color, or it is naturally red?
Thanks again!

AnimaSola3o4
July 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks AnimaSola3o4! It's good to hear that the caps aren't pricey (o: I visited your blog and you have bea-u-ti-ful hair!! Do you use henna for your color, or it is naturally red?
Thanks again!

Thank you!!! I love my sleep cap, and strangely enough, last night was the first time ever I went to sleep wearing it and waking up with it off. :x I guess I took it off in my sleep lol.

No henna for me! :) It's natural, and thank you. There is still one stripe of darker red hair where I had previously had a black streak but other than that, no dyes. :)

Little_Bird
July 30th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I have been braiding to sleep for the last two years. My sister does the same, only when I can't braid her hair she does a banded ponytail.

Sleeping with the braid can be uncomfortable when you sleep on your back tough, but when I do it I simply puch my braid to the side and it feels fine :)

I never tried anything other than the braid tough :p

sexyjacksparrow
July 30th, 2008, 05:46 AM
I sleep with mine lose. I tried a braid when it was longer but it wasn't very comfortable.

sipnsun
July 30th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Right now I sleep with mine loose. It's not very long though. I've tried buns and braids, but I'm a pretty restless sleeper and when I wake up, it's always mostly down. I guess I'll have to rethink my sleep ritual as it gets longer and there are a lot of great tips here! I really like the idea of a satin bun sack, I'm going to try to make one.

redtea
July 30th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I sleep with two braids braided towards the front going over my shoulders since I ususally sleep on my back. I can't stand to have my hair up in any sort of bun when I sleep since I always wake up with a headache and a sore head when I do that.

thankyousir74
July 30th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I used to braid for bed every night, but I find a bun to be more protective, and it doesn't get in the way even though I toss and turn all night.

Do you bun it really high? Because I find my bun hurts my neck when it's at a normal height because it hits the pillow at a weird angle

taliarose
July 30th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I normally do a single braid. Until maybe the begining of the year would leave it loose but my SO started complaining that I was trying to smother him with my hair.

For those people who are saying a braid is damaging. Is it just certain hair types where this happens? I'm afraid to switch from cones becuase of all the damage I know I'll find. As it is my hair is pretty damaged.

I've never thought about putting it into a bun at night I might try that now...

Chromis
July 30th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Single braid. I wouldn't be able to sleep with a big bun knob in the way and I can't wear super high updos.

jadem
July 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I used to just flip my hair up around the pillow, and try to gather it together at the top of my head. Until my hair grow longer that is. Then I tried braiding, and thought it really helped managing where my hair would go... until I started to notice more breakage of hair, though I can't be sure if they broke because of braids.
For a while I also tried using a claw clip to just gather my hair at the top of my head. I did this by lying down first, (makes gathering the hair easier) clip the hair over the top, and let the rest of the length gather around. It worked quite nicely, because no matter how I turn around, the hair stays put at one place. I have also never tried the bun. Occasionally I tried to bun up my hair, but I keep feeling the bobby pins. Perhaps I did it wrongly, though.

plainjanegirl
July 30th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Typically in a braid of some sort. If I am being lazy I may leave it loose, but that is rare. And I sometimes try a loose bun but by morning it has fallen out (I am a very restless sleeper).

danacc
August 3rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
When I would use an elastic at the bottom of the braid, I think it was damaging the ends. When I started noticing "white dots", I stopped tying off the braid. Now that I don't tie the braid off with anything, I don't see any damage from sleeping in it. I got a lot more damage from tangling when I slept without containing my hair in some way (loose over the pillow does not work for me).

I don't know if damage from braiding is hair-type related or not; certainly the ability to have it stay in a braid without unraveling if you don't fasten it is. I bet it depends as much on how and how much you move while sleeping, too. I move enough to tangle it if loose, but not enough to unravel the braid when braided.

ChatoyantLocks
August 3rd, 2008, 10:58 PM
I use a single braid, which I start braiding at the base of my head so I don't have a lump at the back. That way I can lay on whatever side I want.

ColoradoDreamer
August 4th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Most of the time, I sleep with my hair loose. Sometimes I take the time to make a single braid. Last night, I went to bed with my hair still in the damp bun from earlier in the day. I am a side-sleeper, so the knob of the bun didn't bother me.

As my hair gets longer, I may need to experiment more with bed-time styles, as I sleep not only with my hubby but usually a cat or three who like to lick my hair.

Someone earlier in this thread asked if letting a cat lick your hair is damaging. As far as I know, it isn't. I've had Melvin licking my hair/head since my hair started growing back in from chemo two years ago. Let me tell you, it is a BIZARRE feeling to have a wet cat tongue on your bald head!!

Fia
August 4th, 2008, 03:32 AM
When I have long hair I've always slept with it braided - mostly to one side as I'm a back/side sleeper (stomach sleepers often find a braid straight back more comfortable). When hair got longer I started wrapping the braid around the strap of a top/sports bra that I usually sleep in to keep it from getting caught under me or any partner in bed.

sahiba
August 4th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I too braid my hair loosely while sleeping.

Feng-Shui
August 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I normally do a single braid or a french braid.

Feng-Shui :flower:

heatherainsley
August 5th, 2008, 06:04 PM
i use a satin sleep cap, i really like it but its now very attractive lol i also sometimes use a satin scarf

renarok
August 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I try to contain it in a high bun, heidi braids, or a single braid, but often I leave it loose. The only constant is my satin pillow cases. I notice a big difference in messiness if I sleep on cotton. I don't wake up with tangles if I sleep on satin.

Aisha25
August 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
I do single braid with silk dupatta wrapped around my head,then the ends wrapping around my braid folded 2 times.

musicmomma
August 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
i have been doing two braids but think i am going to try a bun tonight. i think it might bother me less. lots of great suggestions here.

jewelrygirl
August 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I still haven't found a satisfactory way. Buns hurt and pull my hair too much and sometimes give me headaches. Braiding is best I guess, but I don't want to braid it on nights when I am not washing the next morning because I don't want braid wrinkles in my hair.

rhysiana
August 18th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Braid, except on nights when it seems to be uncomfortable for no apparent reason, and then I'm bad and just do it loose.

GreenGables
August 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I just put it over my head on the pillow, so I don't get it in my face. Maybe I'll try and braid it when it grows out a bit more.

Chamomile betty
August 19th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I will wear a high bun if I want very damp/wet hair in the morning.
A half pony if I want my hair closer to damp.

I sometimes sleep in low braid to give my scalp a break.

Aqua Gal
August 19th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Usually a high scrunchie bun.

Shanarana
September 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I usually wear my hair in some type of braid or updo for sleeping. I'm just wondering if it is good once and a while to just let it loose and sleep without anything at all in the hair?

AJoifulNoise
September 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I'd say it depends on your hair. If your hair is prone to tangles, it's a baaaad idea.

Mine is not prone to tangles, so I always wear it down for bed.

Lady Verity
September 20th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Mine is prone to tangles, so since I've braided it at bedtime (with olive oil) the growth rate has sped up enormously.

Shanarana
September 20th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I just like the idea of having it loose once in a while without anything to pull during the night. I don't think it will tangle tonight, haven't washed it since Thursday and have a film of oil on it.

Patrycja
September 20th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I wear mine loose :shrug: Ponys fall out because I toss and turn so I deal with more tangles from buns and such than being down...

c_adkins
September 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
My layers are too short to braid. Any suggestions to keep it up at night?

Angellen
September 20th, 2008, 05:39 PM
If I braid my hair in one braid, I get a few tangles, but not like if I wear it loose. I've found that one braid on each side is the most comfortable and results in nearly tangle-free hair, so that's my personal favorite.

suuzq35
September 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM
i tend to wear my hair half up and down.. both sides put into a scriunchie at rthe top.. that way i can lay on it and it wont get all messed up and the heat from laying on it keeps it straight.

MsHelena
September 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Twin english braids over the shoulders. I usually oil the ends, but rarely the whole braids.

Arctic_Mama
September 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Well mine is too short to wear back without putting MORE stress on it, but I think it's good to switch up the nighttime styles as well as the day, just to give it a rest. But if you'd incur crazy mechanical damage from doing so it's probably not worth it. Mine tangles badly but between a silk pillowcase and some oil it's fine, almost tangle-free in the mornings. Why don't you try it and see how you fare?

EbonyCurls
September 20th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I just put my hair in a high, loose ponytail and flip it over my head while I'm sleeping so that it lays over my pillow.
Works for me as it seems to stay in place and as a result I don't end up sleeping or rolling over it all night. I also use a silk pillowcase.

I used to do the pineapple but my hair is curly and it tended to tangle a bit; that, and I never knew what shape I'd wake up with in the morning. So my purpose with the top pony is to to keep the curls as out-of-the-way and streamlined as possible.

sahiba
September 21st, 2008, 01:00 AM
Just a plain english braid.

sahiba
September 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
I too am extremely prone to tangles so I don't even think about sleeping with open hair.

twilight_faerie
September 21st, 2008, 01:12 AM
In a low ponytail or braid. I can't STAND having loose hair when I'm sleeping. :shudder:

Miss Murphy
September 21st, 2008, 01:14 AM
I wear my hair in a very loose braid at night. Otherwise, it's a) a frizzy, tangled mess in the morning and b) I would have it in my face the whole night.
I never wear it loose during the day, so I don't see a reason to at night.

Periwinkle
September 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Single braid for me, unless I'm being lazy, in which case a bun with a scrunchie.

Kaeri
September 21st, 2008, 05:09 AM
I just have mind braided. I've tried a loose bun once but it felt strange after so many years of falling asleep with it braided. I sleep on my side usually so just make sure its behind me when I'm laid down. Its 2nd nature to move it if I turn over so its still behind me - i'm sure I do it in my sleep too sometimes :)

soleluna
September 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM
Usually I braid my hair, but lately I've been lazy, and just keep it down. I have a silk pillowcase, though

Katahdin
September 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
I braid, or just leave it loose.

I tried buns, but they're too annoying, as I tend to shift between sleeping on my side and back.

Magicknthenight
September 21st, 2008, 07:09 PM
I used to sleep with a braid. Lately I've been sleeping with a lazy bun. Not the most comfortable at all! i usually lay on my side with my arm under my head-so my hand supports the bun and if i lay on my back i put my hand under it to support my neck. I dunno i mean sometimes my arms get sore. I used to do a braid but i roll over a lot and it gets in my way and gets all squished. I'm sure the friction isn't good for it. it gets all messed up and i got scalp tangles when i braided it. i would love some other options. braiding also gave me a lot of waves. eh sometimes i don't want the extra wave. so for now a lazy bun until i find something else. on nights i wash i usually just pull it over my shoulder so it can dry. hmm I'm up for advice!:D Maybe I'll try a high bun but it would probably go lose.

oh and i don't have a satin pillow case. i thought i did but alas it was something..similar but not satin. if i see like a satin cap some where id get it. hmmm *ponder*

DiyaC
September 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM
I wear my hair in two braids at night. I braid till the very tip and then fold it and wear a scrunchie around it. This keeps it tangle free in the morning, gives me beautiful waves and also does wonders for the ends.

ilovelonghair
September 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
What is the best way for putting hair up securely when going to sleep? I always use little claw clips but during sleeping my bun gets half undone. I don't think bobby pins would be a good idea either and they could rip out hairs during sleeping. So what would be best? I really got to put my hair up again, because I haven't been doing it for a while and my hair gets too messed up.

ChatoyantLocks
September 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I just put mine in a basic braid.

Addy
September 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I currently wear mine down because it's not really long yet and I don't usually toss and turn at night unless I'm sick.

manderly
September 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I've just recently started using a side-braid secured with an elastic.

I mist out the braidwaves in the morning.

ilovelonghair
September 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
A braid is maybe a better idea for me. But would the tassle not get damaged?

Nat242
September 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I either braid, or I put my hair in a bun on the top of my head, secured with a couple of scrunchis.

As for damage to your tassel, given the length of your hair, I think if you braid it and toss it over your pillow damage will be minimal. You won't be rolling around on it, or anything.

Meli
September 25th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I have made small satin pouches for my sleep braids. That keeps the tassel and most of the lenght well protected. I wrap the braids around my fingers and just stuff them into the pouches. I don't even need to tie off the braids at the ends - there is too little room inside the pouches for them to unbraid more than a couple of inches. HTH!

zaftig2k
September 25th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I sleep on satin pillowcases, and put my hair up in a high bun (top of head) I have a metal Quattro fork/pin that I use at night because it is extremely secure and doesn't poke out. It works perfectly for me.

Sandie

sherigayle
September 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I either put it up in 2 braids or a scrunci bun.

spidermom
September 25th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Top-of-head ponytail held with a satin scrunchie most of the time. Sometimes I wrap the ponytail around the base and tuck the ends under the scrunchie.

FrannyG
September 25th, 2008, 09:03 AM
I wear a non-twisted, just coiled, bun on the top of my head, secured with a satin scrunchie. It's highly functional and highly attractive. :)

I also use a satin pillow case.

Kyamo
September 25th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I use the satin pillow case and a regular braid. I have tried buns, but not been able to find a way to get them secure enough to not fall down and end up with pins in the bed (pins give me super-secure daytime buns). I think I roll around a lot. My hair is too long to wear down for sleep at all anymore. It wraps around my neck, gets under my husband, etc.

sky
September 25th, 2008, 09:15 AM
My hair is not nearly as long as most of you have....only about 26 inches now. And it's thin and fine, so I don't have a lot of mass.

I have done a couple of things that work. My fave is to wind it up into 4 ginormous "pin curls"; one at each side and two at the back. I fasten the pin curls w/ two criss-crossed clip barrettes each.....those flat little things that spring open and spring closed again. That way I get a bit of curling, too.

The other thing that works well is to pull it all up into a high ponytail, wrap a Scunci around it several times and pull the tail part-way through the Scunci on the last wrap. I end up w/ sort of a poof on top, up out of the way of my pillow. I get a few baby hairs at the nape tangled, but the rest stays pretty nice all night long.

These work so far, but I will probably have to develop something else as it gets really long. If that EVER happens! :rolleyes:

It's been four years, about, since I began growing, and it was about earlobe length then, so I guess I really shouldn't be impatient, but I AM!!! I want to be able to sit on it, and tomorrow would be good. :lol:

ilovelonghair
September 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I want to be able to sit on it, and tomorrow would be good. :lol:

Now wouldn't that be a dream: fast growing hair at command!

embee
September 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Used to do a single braid, but now am doing a top of the head bun held with a giant hairpin. Much better!

ycelong
September 25th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I use a satin sleep cap (not very sexy but very effective) and I sleep on a satin pillowcase. Occassionally I will dutch braid it - but I am usually too lazy and just use the cap. I got mine at Sally's Beauty Supply for about $5

AnneAdeline
September 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I just do one braid down the back. Doesn't get in my way and no uncomfortable pins/sticks.

Katze
September 26th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm still trying to find something to keep my hair out of the way. Sometimes a loose bun on the very top of my head, as high as I can do it, held with a scrunchy, stays all night and gives me nice curls. Sometimes it falls out, and sometimes it gives me weird kinks. :confused:

A braid is OK in terms of staying power, but ruins my hair for wearing it down. Occasionally I have been able to do a loose braid and have it hold without kinking my hair, but lately this has not been working.

It is hard for me because I do move around a lot in my sleep, and now that I am pregnant it is even more so. I would really like to find a low maintenance solution but also have my hair up, as BF and I both roll on it...

AprilElf
September 26th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Usually just a basic braid. It's most comfortable for my head, but I do get sick of it twisting around my body. So sometimes I wear a high cinnabun with my 'comfy' fork - one that doesn't have sharp prongs!

winter_star
September 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM
I have made small satin pouches for my sleep braids. That keeps the tassel and most of the lenght well protected. I wrap the braids around my fingers and just stuff them into the pouches. I don't even need to tie off the braids at the ends - there is too little room inside the pouches for them to unbraid more than a couple of inches. HTH!

Meli I love this idea for sleeping!

A good idea might be to braid the hair and coil it into a loose bun held with a scrunchie. That way if the bun falls out the hair is still kept neat and out of the way.

HotRag
September 26th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I ware my hair sometimes in a single braid and sometimes loose.

I wonder if a braid could be damaging to the hair by beeing thick/heavy and rubbed against pillowcase/cap/whatever.

However, keeping my hair in braid days and nights make my scalp itch.
I have not had problem with sleeping with my hair loose.
Even in the 90's when I had 50" long hair, it was all ok to have loose during sleep.
When I turn around at night, I "take the hair with me".

I have rather coarse and straight hair, maybe that makes it better for "having loose during sleep" without beeing all tangled?.

LifeisAdventure
September 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I make a giant bun on the very top of my head and secure it with a velvet scrunchie. When I'm feeling super-insecure I also cover my head with a silk cap. I look RIDICULOUS but I've come to terms with that. ;)

Euphony
September 26th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sometimes I do a single English braid in the center, sometimes I do it off to the side, I do find however that I tend to wake up with a kink in my neck. The thickness of the braid kind of gets in my way. When I have that happen to often sometimes I'll do two Dutch braids or two English braids.

My hubby bought me a beautiful comb for our anniversary last year and the people that make it said it's comfortable enough to sleep in. I kept having problems with that comb and found I never wore it - we saw the people again this July and she tried the comb in my hair herself and realized my hair is too thick and too long for that comb. The kidnapped my comb for a week and lengthened it for me. So I decided to try to sleep with it, they were right! I had it in a Gibraltar bun and it works wonderfully, that bun also makes me sleep on my side since the bun gets in my way so I don't do it all the time, but do do it.

I'll also do a bee butt bun on top of my head held with a scruncii sometimes as well.

Suldrun
September 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I have tried the cinnabun on top of head, the topknot thing pulled through a scruchie, single french braid, single english braid, buff, satin sleep cap and double english braids.

The only thing that works for me is double english braids or loose. All the other styles pull, tug, feel lumpy, tangle or otherwise annoy. I think you just have to experiment.

I wish I could sleep in other styles because I don't like stressing my hair with the same style over and over.

kittymomma
September 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
After I started losing hair, I started using satin pillowcases and scrunchies and also bought a satin "cap" type thing from Sally's. My hair's not too long yet, so I put it up in a pony and pull the final "wrap" only half-through to make it bun-like.

I don't move around a lot at night, but it seems to cut down on pillow friction and shedding...looks REALLY stupid, tho...so I got a SEXY BLACK cap! :D

Fourleafclover
September 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I just usually wear a single braid or sometimes loose if I've feeling very lazy. I'm going to have to get me some of those satin pillowcases I see...

Suldrun
September 26th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Oh yes I forgot to add I also have a satin pillowcase, its one of the first things I bought after joining this site It has made a big difference in tangles and my hair is shiny.

Vitalai
September 27th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Usually, I put my hair up in a bun at the top of my head with a scrunchi, because I take showers late at night and I'm too lazy to wait for it to dry. I also get nice, subtle waves, although they do eventually straighten out in a couple hours. I don't do that consecutively, because I start getting headaches, so I've been trying alternatives.

If I just leave it down, I wake up with flat hair. And if I do regular English braids, I get these strange, kinky waves. I've had some success doing French braids and French rope braids, but I'm looking for a way to keep my hair relatively straight.

Vivien'
September 27th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Since I'm able to do braids, I always do one when sleeping. Then, I put it under my shirt.
Few times, I tried a bun-on-top. Not very comfortable if I wake up in the middle of the night, but still practical.

sapphire-o
September 27th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I'm not sure if mine counts as "putting hair up". I just have a very loose ponytail, tied about a foot away from my head, and toss it over my pillow. It frequently totally fall out and that's fine as well, as it really doesn't make any difference to my hair type. DH wears a single braid to bed almost every night and uses a satin pillowcase. It seems to benefit his fine hair.

Iylivarae
September 27th, 2008, 06:33 AM
I braid my hair, and I don't think that the tassel gets damaged. Sometimes I also put a bit of shea butter in, so the tassel gets an overnight treatment.

Gwaihiril
September 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
If my hair's in a braid during the day, I'll leave the braid in; if some other style, I'll usually leave it loose and just plop it off to the side or above my head while I sleep.

Forever_Sophie
September 27th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I just put mine in a basic braid.

2nd this. I do a loose, low ponytail if I have nice curls...

manderly
September 27th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I third/fourth/fifth the bun on the tippy top of your head as well. I alternate this with braiding.

A loose cinnamon bun secured with 1 or 2 good day hairclips. Occasionally I'll take it a step further and put my satin sleep cap over it :)

Sexxxxaaaay.

ilovelonghair
October 2nd, 2008, 03:57 AM
AprilElf that is an amazing updo you got in your avatar!

I started putting my hair up by making a ponytail op top of my head and putting the ponytail over the edge of my bed. I think it might be better to roll the ponytail up as it ends up messy. I like the fact that I get more volume in my hair when I put it up.
I tried a braid as well, but that ended up all mangled so it's probably not a good idea. I really should get satin pillow cases (I sleep with my head between 2 pillows, that can't be healthy for my hair), but I'm too lazy to look for them.

WaimeaWahine
October 2nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
This is odd but I've been falling asleep lately - by accident - with a hair stick. I just spiral my hair around it and secure it moderately well. By morning the stick is still in place! :eek:

Other things tend to snag and pull on my hair so I normally drape it over the side or top of the bed.

Heidi_234
October 21st, 2008, 02:19 AM
I sleep with my hair down. And every single day I wake up with my head on my hair. That can't be good, can it? In addition, it probably tangles terribly during the night (I don't brush/comb so I wouldn't know).
I'm just looking for ideas, something that might minimize the damage during nighttime toss and turn, at least something better than having your hair all over the place while you sleep.

Nanni
October 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM
I keep my hair in a simple braid and I sleep on a satin pillowcase. No more, no less
But it still look a bit messy in the morning. I guess I move around a lot in my sleep

Vitalai
October 21st, 2008, 03:06 AM
We've had threads (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10263&highlight=hair+night) like this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12699&highlight=hair+night) before. I hope that helps! :flower:

Vitalai
October 21st, 2008, 03:17 AM
I found two more (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1270&highlight=hair+sleeping) additional links (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12232&highlight=hair+sleeping).

Heidi_234
October 21st, 2008, 04:59 AM
Thank you Vitalai,
The search in here is rather primitive, so it helps alot to have someone to point out the right threads.

jojo
October 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
I braid but done use an elastic to tie it, I just leave it free. most of it has unraveled by morning but it doesn't tangle no more.

joyellen
November 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I sleep with it down. It doesn't cause problems because my hair isn't super long, but I'll probably have to modify my routine as my hair grows longer.

Speckla
November 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Down and loose - but it's starting to get caught on things. I've been thinking about a hairnet. Might keep my curls from getting too crushed - any thoughts?
________
Vaporizer forums (http://vaporizer.org/forum)

Indigosails
November 12th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I generally wear mine in a loose French braid for night. I like the idea of a sleep cap of some kind. A satin pillowcase sounds like a good idea, too.

joyfulmom4
November 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I braid mine in a single english braid down the back. I can't stand having a bun for sleep. It makes my neck ache something awful by morning. And I think it gets more damaged. I move around in my sleep and sleep quite a bit on my back, so buns aren't good. I've been braiding mine for sleep for years. Seems to work well for my hair.

Alia
November 12th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Double braid and an astonishingly ugly satin cap that makes me look like old Mother Hubbard. I'm a really restless sleeper and would slip off a satin pillowcase in the first hour.

aprilmay
November 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I try to brush my hair well before I go to bed and then I leave it down. When I fail to brush before bed, my tangles become intense snarls.

Angellen
November 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I usually wear one or two braids. Occasionally I'll use my satin sleep cap, but it comes off in the night. I have satin pillowcases which are nice, but I haven't noticed much difference in hair quality from using them. :shrug:

AJoifulNoise
November 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I grew to over 35 inches wearing my hair down to bed. I'm shorter now, but I'm finding it very comfy to wear two braids to sleep. It happened by accident. When I take my bun down in the evening my hair is still wet. I don't want to deal with wet hair while sleeping so I braid it.

The braids are much easier to reposition when I roll over than the whole deal loose.

Arctic
November 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Down and loose - but it's starting to get caught on things. I've been thinking about a hairnet. Might keep my curls from getting too crushed - any thoughts?

That might be a good idea: I remember our member, Snowbird, uses hairnet at night and said it helps her to keep her curls nice. (She hasn't been active lately.)

Arctic
November 13th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I make a high bun and tie a bandanna over it. My hair loves me if it's little damp when bunning, it then feels amazingly smooth and moisturized in the morning.

Ryanne
November 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Two braids, or one.

joyfulmom4
November 13th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I make a high bun and tie a bandanna over it. My hair loves me if it's little damp when bunning, it then feels amazingly smooth and moisturized in the morning.

High, as in way up on the very top of your head so you can lay your head flat when sleeping on your back? I think that might work for me. No idea if it'd be better than the braid. What do you secure it with?

I wonder how bad my family would laugh at me?:blushing:

Arctic
November 13th, 2008, 02:54 PM
High, as in way up on the very top of your head so you can lay your head flat when sleeping on your back? I think that might work for me. No idea if it'd be better than the braid. What do you secure it with?

I wonder how bad my family would laugh at me?:blushing:

Yes, at the crown area so I can sleep on my back too. My fiance was complitely cool with this night time 'do, he knows how much hair means to me :D

I secure it with terry cloth type hair elastic, and then wrap the bandanna over the bun.

Raven69
November 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Its a pain to keep it in messy bun, but when I sleep with it down - when trying to get in a comfortable position it is awful cause it gets in the way. I find two simple pig tails the easiest and rewarding way. Or even a single brad - but can't do those properly. messy bun can be painful but easier for those restless nights. I fall asleep on my back so it is has to be able to lie flat or be able to pull it up and away from my head so I am not lying on it.

Bene
November 13th, 2008, 03:15 PM
normally a single braid, but i've just discovered the awesomeness of a rope braid, and will be adding that to my night time routine :)