PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrrr

merseaone
July 12th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I just measured my hair and it has only grown a quarter inch since a few months ago. I haven't been taking Silica for a while, maybe that is it. And I have this strand of hair right in the middle of my hair in back that either is getting to be a bigger curl or has stopped growing because the hair on the other sides are a lot longer. I'm not happy!!!

:argue: (me and my hair)

FrannyG
July 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Do you trim at all from time to time. Not everyone will agree with this, but I am a great believer in regular small trims. I personally trim 1/2 inch every 3 to 4 months, but others do well with 1/8 of an inch trim.

Trims can really help prevent the breakage that appears to be a growth stall.

In my first year at LHC, I didn't trim at all, and I regretted it later.

My daughter's hair didn't appear grow at all for a year after she had gone a couple of years without a trim.

This may not pertain to you at all, but it's just a thought.

Best of luck, and I hope that you get a lot of good advice. :blossom:

adler
July 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Have you tried scalp massages or MSM? They seem to be both working really well for me. I was having a stall a just above bsl and started both of these and my hair started growing at about 1in per month! That's unheard of for me :happydance:

xoxophelia
July 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM
It is possible your measurement was off before so don't worry yourself too much right now. The best way to see is probably progress photos and than you will be able to better tell if you hair is gaining length :)

bumblebums
July 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Well, I see you listed your current length as 24.75"--which is impossibly precise :) the margin of error for self-measurements is too big for decimals. The tape could be lying (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=168). if you really want to keep track of growth, the pic-a-month in a striped t-shirt is a better method. I personally believe in putting it up in a bun and not obsessing about it too much. Then it grows like other people's children!

Alvrodul
July 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Well, I see you listed your current length as 24.75"--which is impossibly precise :) the margin of error for self-measurements is too big for decimals. The tape could be lying (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=168). if you really want to keep track of growth, the pic-a-month in a striped t-shirt is a better method. I personally believe in putting it up in a bun and not obsessing about it too much. Then it grows like other people's children!
The "it grows when you are not watching it" thing feels like my story. For 3 or 4 years I kept my hair very much up and out of the way, and rarely bothered to really look at it. I started with that 'do when my hair was about APL, and when I started really looking at it and trying other things with my hair, it was almost to my waist. It did take time, yes, and I had trimmings and smaller haircuts (since I was also growing out bangs) but my hair is now past my waist.:)
There is really nothing to do but cultivate patience alongside your hair.:meditate:

Copasetic
July 12th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I think it is really difficult to accurately measure your own hair. I have stopped measuring my hair regularly because some of my measurements indicated that my hair had shrunk!

In all likelihood your lack of growth was a measuring error.

embee
July 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I quit measuring, it was never getting anywhere, although my updo list kept having to change. My best result came from putting my hair up and never bothering about it. Now it's classic, term as far as I can tell. The day I sat upon my hair when I sat down to log onto LHC was The Big Day! :)

Measuring is kinda like getting on the bathroom scale and worrying about a pound up or down. One can go nuts doing that kind of thing. ;)

Yozhik
July 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
merseaone, sorry to hear that you've been frustrated with your recent measurements!

Lately I've been feeling as if my hair hasn't been growing at all, either, especially since the curl just refuses to let me gain length.

Are you doing the measurements yourself? Maybe having someone help you might make the results more accurate. Happy growing -- I'm sure in a month or so you'll be able to look back and see distinct growth! :flower:

Lianna
July 13th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Perhaps was measured in cm and then converted, that's what I do.

Marjolein
July 13th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Perhaps was measured in cm and then converted, that's what I do.

Yep, I do that as well. And I actually always get pretty precise measurements. I measure about 5 times in a row and these different measurements never differ more than half a centimeter (fifth of an inch) from each other.

To merseaone: I'm sorry, I know your pain. My hair never grows more than 1/4 of an inch a month. But yours probably only has a stall, and will soon grow grow grow again!!

melikai
July 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Don't worry too much about it! I stopped measuring a few months ago, because I realised how inaccurate it is. I would instead try the striped shirt that someone recommended, or else just put it up and forget about it for a while. Once you start paying a lot of attention to it, it can suddenly seem like it doesn't grow *at all*!

That aside, many people have some months of the year where their hair growth stalls or slows. It will pick up again. :)

merseaone
July 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Do you trim at all from time to time. Not everyone will agree with this, but I am a great believer in regular small trims. I personally trim 1/2 inch every 3 to 4 months, but others do well with 1/8 of an inch trim.

Trims can really help prevent the breakage that appears to be a growth stall.

In my first year at LHC, I didn't trim at all, and I regretted it later.

My daughter's hair didn't appear grow at all for a year after she had gone a couple of years without a trim.

This may not pertain to you at all, but it's just a thought.

Best of luck, and I hope that you get a lot of good advice. :blossom:

I use to trim every 6 weeks but then I stopped and only trimmed every few months. My husband does the measuring. Problem I run into is right down the middle in the back there is a large wave or curl which makes the hair in the middle of the back shorter looking. Husband stretches it but I still don't think it is as long as the hair on either side. I once cut my hair to be even with the middle and it still grew that way. What is a girl to do.....