PDA

View Full Version : Does my hair like coconut oil or not?How does your hair react to it?

pinklemonade
July 12th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Hi LHC! I must have read all the threads on coconut oil (it's my new obsession :p) but I would still like some opinions/feedback.
How exactly does your hair feel During your coconut oilings and After?
I have been using it for a while as a pre-shampoo (I slather my hair with lots of coconut oil, sometimes mixing with other oils) and leave it on over night or for a few days. I usually apply it on wet hair for moisture at least once a week. I wash it out doing a CWC. When I apply the oil, my hair feels really hard and oily, but I guess oil makes hair...oily:p
Now, my hair isn't worse or anything, I'm not seein more splits or breakage than usual BUT I don't know if it's Really doing anything to my hair. It is definitely way shinier than it's ever been so that's enough to let me continue! I'm just curious how your hair reacts to the oil, and does it take time for coconut oil to have an effect on hair? Like would it take a year to see results? Maybe my expectations are too high, I was hoping for really baby soft hair that would also be strengthened by the coconut oil (I am prone to breakage.) TIA!

Gumball
July 12th, 2010, 03:03 PM
When my hair is oiled it becomes easier to comb through, tangles less, and breaks less. Also when I wash after a heavy oiling I lose less than half the hair I normally do in the shower (likely due to less breakage). I oil every day, and do regular heavy oilings (my hair loves it). I also love the shine. It makes putting it up a lot easier, too, since it helps tame my fuzzies at least a tiny bit, and every bit counts! It usually results in my hair feeling smoother, too, which rocks.

pinklemonade
July 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
When my hair is oiled it becomes easier to comb through, tangles less, and breaks less. Also when I wash after a heavy oiling I lose less than half the hair I normally do in the shower (likely due to less breakage). I oil every day, and do regular heavy oilings (my hair loves it). I also love the shine. It makes putting it up a lot easier, too, since it helps tame my fuzzies at least a tiny bit, and every bit counts! It usually results in my hair feeling smoother, too, which rocks.

Wow those are definitely some positive results!:) My hair is still tangly after coconut oiling, but it could be coz I have hard water? I would oil a little everyday too but my hair attracts way too much lint and it gets really obvious since it's dark. Yes, at least shinyness and smoothness is what I obtain too!

spidermom
July 12th, 2010, 03:19 PM
After years of success, I had a bad reaction to coconut oil a few days ago. I put on more and left it in longer than usual in hotter weather than usual, and my hair got so gummy that it was disgusting. I could barely comb through it! It took 4 washings to get the gumminess out. Then it was hard to comb through because it was all dried out. Now I see lots of damage (from all the washing, I assume).

pinklemonade
July 12th, 2010, 03:30 PM
After years of success, I had a bad reaction to coconut oil a few days ago. I put on more and left it in longer than usual in hotter weather than usual, and my hair got so gummy that it was disgusting. I could barely comb through it! It took 4 washings to get the gumminess out. Then it was hard to comb through because it was all dried out. Now I see lots of damage (from all the washing, I assume).

Oh no! I guess sometimes less is more! You shouldn't have more damage though, did you wash using conditioner only? I can literally drench my hair in oil, and it will all wash out if I leave in a conditioner for one hour, and then rinse out.

Tabihito
July 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM
For me, coconut oil just sort of smooths it out, and maybe imparts a little softness. However, I think the coconut oil is solely to thank for my greatly reduced frizzies. I use just the tiniest bit on the top of my hair and it's enough to weigh those tiny little fine hairs. Most people say to only use it from the ears down, but I'm able to use it above as well without any extra-noticeable oiliness. That being said, I also wash my hair every other day, and sometimes multiple days in a row due to my activity level.

Oh, and boy does it make it shiny. I didn't know shine was something my hair could possibly have.

spidermom
July 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
No CO. I felt that I needed to clarify so used full-strength Nature's Gate Sunflower and Pomegranate shampoo.

I don't like CO; it makes my hair limp, lank, lifeless.

Dragon
July 12th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Oiling leaves my hair softter and more managebale. I put it in the night befor and shampoo it out the next morning or arvo. It works best on my hair that way. If I keep on wacking it in without washing it that night or the next morning then my hair doesent seem to like it makeing it feel weird and causing my hair to get cort in my brush. I find jojoba oil the best for leaving in my hair between washes.

Cimorene
July 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Coconut oil makes my hair feel softer, especially the ends where I tend to use a lot of it, and seems to make it a bit easier to comb during/after washing. I only use coconut oil right before I wash my hair -- I slather on a whole bunch, leave it for awhile, then wash/condition as usual (shampoo on the scalp, conditioner on the length). I'd like to try using some as a leave-in, but my hair is pretty greasy, and I tend to use way too much oil just because it smells so good, so that hasn't worked out yet. :D

jane53
July 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Coconut oil on my hair is a DISASTER. It's horrible. It makes it lank and stringy and greasy.

I have to over-lather my hair with shampoo to get it out.

I HATE it!

Kristin
July 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I started using coconut oil for heavy oilings about 10-11 months ago- before I came to LHC- because I was trying to grow my hair, but my ends were so dry I thought I would have to cut. I used it once a week before CWC and my ends were soft in about 4 months. Now I use it for both heavy and light oilings, and it makes my hair stronger, softer, and shinier. These days I basically just CO and that makes the oilings work even better.

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2010, 07:56 PM
If I use the right amount, it's easier to detangle, a little less fly-away, and softer. If I don't, it can end up feeling tacky and sticking to itself, so I end up with more knots. It's something I'm still trying to get right, really, but when I do it's worth it.

CitznMag
July 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I love, love, love coconut oil! I have been using it for a couple of months now. I don't know if there's a difference in results between refined or unrefined virgin coconut oil, but the one I use is the latter and add a few drops of lavender essense oil to the entire jar.

I CO wash my (currently barely shoulder length) 3b/c hair and use the coconut oil as a leave-in, mostly on nape, canopy and ends. Occasionally, between washings, I will apply more to the ends before braiding it up a night. My hair is stronger, less frizzy, shiny and very soft. When I've grown out my hair in the past, running my fingers threw my hair was out of the question unless I blow-fried it straight. I've been able to run my fingers through without losing curl definition.

I am totally a fan and even use it as a body lotion and it's done wonders at keeping my eczema under control.

HikerTrash
July 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I've been wondering about coconut cream. You know, like the kind that comes in a can in the Asian grocery like you use for Thai curry. Has anybody ever tried that?

PineappleJello
July 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I've been wondering about coconut cream. You know, like the kind that comes in a can in the Asian grocery like you use for Thai curry. Has anybody ever tried that?

I'm only quoting because I think you'll be more likely to see the answer if it's quoted.

I would highly recommend not doing this. I did and it took me three days to get my hair looking semi-normal, and about five to get it back to where it was supposed to be. Maybe if it's only applied to the ends it won't be so bad but my hair was a grease ball. I was also rinsing my hair in very warm water several times a day to get the oil out. I wasn't using much shampoo since I was trying to go to CO. Which could be why it took so long.

Kathie
July 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Im a coconut oil fan. I oil every day and do heavy oilings before I wash my hair.
The daily oiling is obviously light and concentrated on my ends, my hair drinks it up. The heavy oiling comes out easily enough (I use poo-bars). I have made a few changes since joining LHC so I cant be sure that its the coconut oil. But, I rarely find a split end or broken hair anymore. I do think that the coconut oil is preventing my ends from drying out- so no more splits.

MissManda
July 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I have only been using coconut oil for about a week, so I don't know about the long-term effects of coconut oil on my hair, however....

My hair loves coconut oil. Even though I have not been using it for terribly long, my dry, brittle chemically-damaged ends feel considerably softer and more well-moisturized than they have ever been. Since I started CO/C-COW-C and coconut oil, my hair is softer, shinier, stronger, and definitely less tangly. It is a very light oil and does not weigh my hair down at all. It actually helps my hair maintain body without it going limp or super-frizzy. My hair can transform into a gigantic fuzzball during the summertime and coconut oil has helped a great deal with that.

I have been lightly oiling my hair every day, sometimes twice a day, and my hair doesn't mind at all. ;) I can oil the length of my hair with the stuff to the point where it looks stringy and greasy. All I have to do is put it up and leave it there for a day, take it down, and it will all be gone. :D My hair drinks up coconut oil like crazy.

christine1989
July 13th, 2010, 01:12 AM
It really depends on if I apply it on wet, damp or dry hair. On wet/damp hair it usually weighs it down and gives it that greasy look but on dry hair it makes it easy to comb and provides shine without looking like an oil tanker crashed into my head. :)

HintOfMint
July 13th, 2010, 01:51 AM
On damp hair after an SMT, coconut oil does godly things to my hair. After all that moisture from the treatment, the coconut oil has something substantial to seal in and it does a wonderful job. For my hair, the combination of the two, one after the other, is the key.

Marjolein
July 13th, 2010, 06:57 AM
My hair absolutely hates coconut oil (or any oil for that matter).

At first I thought it might be because of the cold temperatures, but now that it's over 80 degrees Fahrenheit, my hair still hates it. The moment I put the smallest amount in, it becomes stringy, greasy-looking and just plain yuck. Getting it out is a huge pain in the ***. I have to wash with clarifying shamppo two or three times to remove it and then my hair is left dry and brittle. Nope, not for me.

jane53
July 13th, 2010, 06:58 AM

At first I thought it might be because of the cold temperatures, but now that it's over 80 degrees Fahrenheit, my hair still hates it. The moment I put the smallest amount in, it becomes stringy, greasy-looking and just plain yuck. Getting it out is a huge pain in the ***. I have to wash with clarifying shamppo two or three times to remove it and then my hair is left dry and brittle. Nope, not for me.

Finally!!! Someone who's had my experience with oils!

Capybara
July 13th, 2010, 07:05 AM
If you're seeing positive results, go for it :)

Personally, I find that coconut oil seems a little too light for some purposes, at least for me. For heavy oilings, I prefer EVOO, although this would only be the day before a wash. Every other day, I'll use coconut oil. I second that it makes a great moisturizer and make-up remover as well!

luckyduck
July 13th, 2010, 07:16 AM
I have been using a VERY small amount everyday before I style my hair. I love it! It makes my hair less fly away, and gives it shine. I have recently been exercising everyday, and I have been having trouble fitting in this daily oiling, cause I don't like to do it on damp hair. I have just started WO for several days, to get rid of the sweat, and then C-COW-C every once in awhile, adding a drop of evoo to the first conditioning. I am still working the WO everyday, not sure if I like it or not, I figure it is better than washing everyday.

Dolly
July 13th, 2010, 07:35 AM
I do a heavy oiling and leave it overnight at least once a week.....I always oil dry because if my hair is even the slightest bit damp, it takes a clarifying wash to get the oil out. If I oil dry, I have no issues getting it out with my normal CV shampoo bar or CO the next day. Since I started oiling, my hair is in generally better condition overall. It is soft and silky, and it also seems stronger (it doesn't break and split quite as easily).

Marjolein
July 13th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Haha, always good to find you're not alone :hifive:.

dropinthebucket
July 13th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Coconut oil just kinda sits on my hair looking greasy and yuck - i leave it overnight, and it never seems to soak in properly, dunno why. My hair doesn't really look much different after I've washed it out, either. I bought a big jar of it, so i'm using it anyway, in case it is actually depositing protein into the hair shaft without me realizing it, like the articles say it does. But it does take two shampoos to get it out - i just live with it greasy for a couple of days, rather than shampooing back to back, so i don't coconut oil all that often. Much better in my 1c/2a, i, hair is castor oil - that stuff soaks right in, fluffs it up, makes it shine like anything, and i can use it as a leave-in to tame dry ends (a couple of drops, put on while hair is damp) or as an all-over deep conditioning treatment (a small spoonful, rubbed into scalp and put all over hair overnight). Since i use a castor-oil based shampoo bar, i never seem to have trouble washing it out, either.

Angeletti
July 13th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I never had good luck with coconut oil, I would leave it in on a wash day then kind of defeat the purpose of babying my hair by having to use shampoo on the length of hair rather than just the top in order to get the stuff out or else I'd be left with a greasy mess when it dried. I also never really could tell the difference once it was out, my hair felt the same. I then tried olive oil and got better results, my hair felt really soft, etc. but I think I am giving up on oils because all they do is make my hair color fade and leave my hair greasy just about every time making me not able to wear it down the first few days after washing, blah not worth the hassle!

Charlotte:)
January 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
When I used coconut oil, my hair felt really soft at first. But then a little while later, it felt all hard and crunchy. I think it may be because it's only a liquid when it is warm, so it must have cooled and hardend again after it put it in my hair.

Twarg
January 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I only just started the cocoilings. About a week now. My hair seems to really love it and it replaces my hair serum (Red Ken). The serum used to just sit on my hair really and the coconut oil soaks in. I find I can add a bit more over the 4-5 days leading up to my hair washing without it looking oily and heavy. Defines my waves and makes my hair very soft and shiny.

The smell is enough to keep me using it. It's other uses are pretty bangin', too. I want to start trying it on my psoriasis patches.

chopandchange
January 16th, 2011, 04:56 PM
No kind of oil will work on my hair. I have tried just about all the kinds mentioned on here. Oiling is NOT for me!

ibleedlipstick
January 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
My hair loves it! I heavy oil before a wash, and my hair is so glossy. Surprisingly, it doesn't make my dye fade, so I'm quite happy.

turquoisebud
January 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Right now I use it just on the ends at night and in the morning it's all soaked in. :) I really haven't tried heavy oiling before washing, but I am planning to.

Anywhere
January 16th, 2011, 06:54 PM
My hair gets a noticible difference from oiled and non-oiled immediately. It's more shiny and smooth and less fluffy and frizzy when it's oiled. I find that coconut oil makes my hair feel greasy but doesn't make my hair look greasy. It also tends to make hair softer.

lynnspin
January 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Where can I buy coconut oil? Is it in the health/beauty section or is it found with groceries??

Everyone seems to love it, so I would love to try it!

Gumball
January 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Where can I buy coconut oil? Is it in the health/beauty section or is it found with groceries??

Everyone seems to love it, so I would love to try it!

I get mine, Jungle Products brand, at Whole Foods (if you don't have it, it's a more organic chain grocery store), in one of the food aisles. I can't remember which, as I've had my jar for the better part of an epoch. I'm getting closer to the point I need to get more, so I may have to find out where it is again!

HairFaerie
January 16th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I just started using it recently and I love it!
I use it sparingly on the ends a few times a week. After I wash it, it is incredibly soft and shiny.

constancev18
January 16th, 2011, 07:36 PM
My hair loves it. It adds shine and smoothes the frizziness.

Lianna
January 16th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Not really a fan, but I'm glad it's something that works for many others. Once in a blue moon, my hair is fine with it, but often gets crunchy and dry. There are other oils around for me. :)

ddiana1979
January 16th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I use the "Movie Star Shampoo". . . 1:4 Spectrum Organic Virgin Coconut Oil to Prell Classic. This is working much better for me than oiling ever did. Heavy oiling overnight made my hair greasy & lank. I usually had to CWC a couple times to get it out.

lascuba
January 16th, 2011, 08:33 PM
The jury is still out for me. I've used coconut oil sporadically (like once a month) over the years and I never noticed anything. I've decided to give it a real try this time and see what happens. I oiled my ends on Friday night and my hair was okay yesterday after washing and styling...very soft, not greasy, but no volume. Since my hair is so thin that can happen no matter what I do, so I can't blame the coconut oil for that. However, today I notice that my ends are a bit greasy. I haven't had this problem with castor oil on my scalp...I've only done it twice, but so far a CO wash seems to get rid of it with no problems. I'll try applying conditioner to my ends dry tomorrow and see if that does that trick.

Deborah
January 17th, 2011, 08:30 PM
My hair does not respond well to coconut oil. I tried pre-oiling with it. I tried just a teeny amount on both damp and dry hair. I tried the coconut oil/shampoo thing. ALL were major FAILURES! The most recent was the coconut oil/shampoo thing. It left my hair downright weird; full, and I mean FULL of static, extra pin straight and with very dry ends. Yuck!

I buy and use tons of organic coconut oil, and for other uses it works great. I eat it right from the jar (not off a spoon - it tastes funny that way - I just scoop out somewhere between a teaspoon and a tablespoonful with my bare fingers and gobble it down.) I put probably about a tablespoonful in every bath I take, and sometimes I use it on my skin right from the jar. It's wonderful stuff, but NOT for my hair. I have no idea why.

My hair also hated catnip rinsing. That was the only thing ever that caused a bunch of shedding. Keep that catnip away from me. :shake: Those are the only two things that my hair responded really badly to. :trainwreck:

thatjengirl1
January 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM
coconut oil helps with dryness and makes my hair seem healthier if i use it regularly.
There are two things i dont like about it though.
1) If i put even just a little too much, my hair looks like it hasn't been washed in weeks. it looks very greasy and lumpy.

2) Dirt and lint seem to attract my hair when it has coconut oil in it. The oil "grabs" onto dust and lint and stuff.

I put a little on my ends when i get out of the shower every once in awhile, it works fine

mneh
December 1st, 2011, 07:45 AM

No kind of oil will work on my hair. I have tried just about all the kinds mentioned on here. Oiling is NOT for me!

Relief!! Finally, I've found others whose hair doesn't react well to oiling :cheese: I could not figure out what I was doing wrong to make my hair go so stringy and crunchy, no matter how little oil is use and no matter what stage of my routine I used the oil. Oh well, that's a saving in my hair care expenses now that I'm no longer buying oils for my hair :D

Amber_Maiden
December 1st, 2011, 08:17 AM
My hair feels hard and crispy after and during when I coconut oil my hair- so i don't use it anymore.

Charybdis
December 1st, 2011, 12:41 PM
I've been doing a heavy oiling with coconut oil on the length before I wash. If I have time, I'll let the oil sit for an hour or two, but I haven't noticed that making much difference. My hair feels softer and is somewhat less frizzy when I oil before washing. I wash my scalp with an SLES shampoo (my seborrheic dermatitis goes nuts without sulfates) and just rinse the suds through the length, then use a coney conditioner.

I do notice that the hair texture feels really weird when I first wet my oiled hair down. But the coconut oil washes out easily and seems to add just enough oil to the shampoo process to tamp down flyaways. I think my hair would feel strange if I put the oil on damp hair, though, based on what it feels like in the shower.

IubireaDraga
December 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM
I soak my hair in coconut oil before washing my hair for 30 minutes - 1 h. Makes my hair less frizzy and more shiny

I also put it in my ends when my hair is damp to make them less dry

I never put coconut oil in dry hair because it becomes all sticky, hard and greasy

beccababesx
December 2nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
If I were using coconut oil on my ends daily, and after a while my ends got crunchy, do you think that would be because of the coconut oil? All I used except from that is a basic conditioner and Aussie 3 minute miracle...

eshta
December 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
If I were using coconut oil on my ends daily, and after a while my ends got crunchy, do you think that would be because of the coconut oil? All I used except from that is a basic conditioner and Aussie 3 minute miracle...

I use coconut oil daily on my ends and don't get crunchy ends anymore, but when I still had dye and blowfry damage I used to get them after a while. I clarified just the ends and smt-ed, again just the ends (in a little plastic bag). Problem solved!

Egana
December 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
I haven't tried coconut oil, but I love olive oil - and olive oil is cheap and easy to find... It defines my curl but doesn't get crunchy like aloe or gel or mousse - I wish I had tried olive oil years ago! I do a deep oiling 1 x week, then CWC in the morning, with a little more oil after I squeeze the water out of my hair, massage it in scalp and finger comb it throughout length and use my hands to sandwich press it into the tips. Then let it air dry. The shinyness, softness, and curl are all amazing!

Yasmine91
December 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Coconut oil is amazing for my hair. It get's so smooth and shiny :)

NymphSpirit
December 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
My hair is brutally in love with coconut oil... Which is bad because I can't stand the smell, haha, (I hope I'll eventually get used to it....) It leaves it soft and manageable, which means A LOT since my ends are usually crunchy

lolot
December 2nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
what i love is the smell hahaha even more than the effect, i use it mainly in the hair in the bottom, near my neck, and that part usually get tangled, dry, et, it looks that is going well, but when i put in in all my hair it looks dirty and stringy and i cant remove it, it has to pass like a week to go away

battles
December 2nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
For awhile it was working quite well for me, and then it started making my hair very crunchy. I'm not sure what changed. I switched to camellia oil, and I prefer it.

Falcore
December 3rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
Does wonders for my thick, coarse hair.

I mix it with a little jojoba oil and makes my ends feel soft and adds shine to my hair.