PDA

View Full Version : Sulphate-Free Shampoo (UK)

Melein
May 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

Since my experiments with all-natural and alternative washing methods haven't worked out, and likely won't until I invest in a water softener of some kind, I'm going to go for the way of least harm, and go for the gentlest regular shampoo I can.

Trouble is, I can't find a single brand without sodium or ammonium laureth/lauryl sulphate - does anyone else in the UK know of any? Preferably inexpensive, but at this point any suggestions are welcome. I'm really not happy going back to my old shampoo now that I know what's in it! (Personal preference, nothing against those who get good results with such products, my scalp just doesn't like them...)

lady G
May 15th, 2008, 10:07 AM
well i know there is a brand in boots chemist called naked they do not contain sls well they claim not too and to be very natural products in the ingredients etc i have a very sensitive scalp and i use simple rich repair shampoo no perfume etc, it does have sulphates but i find it great.

akka naeda
May 15th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I would have said try Jason shampoos (round here you can get them in supermarkets and healthfood shops, so it should be the same up in London) but the one I have here contains sodium myreth sulphate so may not be what you want.

Avalon Organics (this is the clarifying shampoo) doesn't seem to contain SLS or ALS, again I can find them here in supermarkets and healthfood shops. You could try looking at them

Flaxen
May 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Lemme go get the sulfate-free thread from the archives. There are several UK sources there. I'll make the thread sticky at the top of this board. :smile:

ETA: Oops, bad idea. It has links that won't make sense if I just move the list. Well, then, here is the whole thread:

Sulfate/Sulphate Free Shampoo List (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34009).

anna1850
May 15th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Aubrey Organics' (http://www.aubreyorganicsuk.co.uk/) stuff is completely sulphate free.

At £9 each it's not super cheap though.

I haven't tried their shampoos yet but I have ordered other stuff from their site and the customer service was excellent (both times I got an e-mail to tell me my order had been shipped within a couple of hours of ordering).

ETA: As akka naeda mentioned, Avalon Organics is sulphate free. You can get it here (http://www.veganstore.co.uk/avalon_shampoo.html) for £5.49 which is a little cheaper. I've heard mixed reviews about their hair care products though (although I really like their skin care stuff). Also that site is not so good at shipping things quickly and letting you know what's happening.

Ingredients of Avalon Organics lavender shampoo:
Purified Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, SodiumCocoyl Sarcosinate, Coconut Acid, Organic Lavandula Angustifolia (lavender) Flower, Calendula Officinalis (candula) Flower, Chamomilla Recutita (calendula) Flower, Beta-Glucan (oat), Babassuamidopropalkanium Chloride, Vegetable Glycerin Bisabolol (Chamomile,) Ethylhexlglycerin, Arginine (amino acid), Pantoenol (pro-vitamin B5), Tocopherol (vitamin E), Organic Lavandula Angustifolia (lavender) Oil and other essential oils

Jostar
May 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Lush do a SLS free shampoo bar called Squeaky Green - its good value and lasts for ages - I swear by it. Welda do SLS free shampoo- they are hard to find but worth hunting out. They are not cheap though, again about £9 and to be honest, did nothing at all for me.

Tabitha
May 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Burts Bees shampoo is sulphate free and available in John Lewis and other department stores but again it's not cheap. Funnily enough I found it felt harsher on my hair than sulphate-y Herbal Essences when used neat, but diluted half and half with water it felt much nicer (I tried the Grapefruit/Sugarbeet, and Pomegranate/Soy).

Masara
May 16th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I use Urtekram rose shampoo. It's Danish (I think) but it's available from both the independant healthfood shops in my parents' town (not Holland and barret)
When I'm in the UK, I buy it there in the healthfood shops. Here in France I get it through the internet. (but from UK sources) I think it costs a bit less than £4 a bottle

kate46
May 16th, 2008, 05:39 AM
I absolutely love A'kin shampoos! I purchase them online from www.eco-essentials.co.uk (http://www.eco-essentials.co.uk) at £6.49 each, a little expensive but well worth it to me. The site also sells a couple of Urtekram shampoos at £3.59 per bottle, I haven't tried this yet but it looks good and is a reasonable price so I think I might order some next time. I have so far found the site to be very good, also delivery costs are quite reasonable. HTH :)

Melein
May 17th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions!

I went out and bought a shampoo from Boots' 'Naked' range - there was only one version without 'cones, so far as I could see, so just a warning for anyone else interested.

I'll also look into Avalon Organics as I know there's a place not too far away that has that range. :) I'm off on holiday on Tuesday, but when I get back I may take a look at the online recommendations, too!

I'll let you know how my hair likes them. :)

Loviatar
May 17th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Seconding Squeaky Green, it's brilliant.

I also recently tried TiGi Superstar Thick Massive Hair sulfate free shampoo, but it's £8.50, although you do get a huge tube. Smells of strawberry-cream sweets and is wonderful stuff.

bunnikins
November 17th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I have that shampoo (TiGi sulfate free for thick massive hair) standing in the cupboard, after I used it for a while my scalp was so itchy!! though it doesn't contain sulfates it contains olefin sulfonate which is even harsher on hair!

practikalmagik
November 24th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Recently found an SLS free shampoo in Aldi where I live (Midlands), the brand is "Lacura" and it's just under two quid so it's not v expensive. I recommend it!