PDA

View Full Version : To bang or not to bang? What do you think?

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I've never figured this out. When I have bangs, I don't want them because when they grow out they're in my way. But when I don't have them, I feel naked. Like, my forehead is HUGE!!! Not kidding. It's huge, and I feel that I'm looking stupid wothout anything softening the updos up. So, what do you think I should do? I really cant decide, so I thought that now that I finally found a site full of hair geeks like myself, I should ask :)

Some pics
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/tinti84/DSC000312.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/tinti84/photo4.jpghttp://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/tinti84/photo6.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i290/tinti84/dscf0510000.jpgDon't laugh at my bobbypin sticking up there, I hadn't learned "the V-trick" back then :p Sorry for the crappy quality on some of the pics, that's what you get for using cell to take photos :p

ETA: I like my angs the most when they're growing out, cause that gives me a lot of possivilities.

jane53
July 12th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I like you both ways.

I've been both ways too. I cut bangs in my late 30s to soften my face. I've kept them. I keep them pretty short. When they start bugging me, I just trim them.

ChrissieM
July 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I think you look nice either way. But no bangs is so much easier if you are going for a low-maintenance look. Maybe long side bangs that you can part in different places to get some different looks?

TiltedHal0
July 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
How were you able to post all the pics? I'm still new on this site and I am having a hard time including more then one pic when I post something..is there a trick I don't know of yet? lol

Well, I've been a hairdresser for 18 years, I don't know it all but I have a pretty reliable opinion based on experience and knowing what looks good on people...it is just my opinion though, but I hope it help :p

Looking at your pictures, I would agree that you do have a long forehead and you look better with bangs. I think bangs outline your pretty eyes and soften your face. They also even your face out, if you were to have no bangs, you face wouldn't look proportional. Oh and of course, I am a bang girl myself lol ;)

Another tip for the ladies out there who have side parts and wear bangs...everyone has a small side and a larger side to their bodies. If you were to look in the mirror you would see that one eye is larger then the other, eyebrow higher then the other, etc. A great way to even this out in an artistic way is to part on the side that is smaller. Like in a painting/art is raises the lower side up to match the larger side. For instance, my right side of my face is smaller then my left side. I part my hair on the right side so that it raises the right eye/eyebrow to visually bring it inline with the left eye/eyebrow...just a fyi tip ;)

CrisDee
July 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I don't think your forehead looks huge in those photos at all! :) I'm going through the same dilemma at present, I've been growing mine out since March. They're just about at lip length right now, if pulled all the way down - can't WAIT til I can tuck 'em behind my ears! But I want to see how I look without them - haven't been without bangs since about 1978! If I really hate the way I look, I'm thinking of cutting some very thin, wispy bangs, maybe a bit on the long side, so I can wear them down or sidesweep them.

Are your bangs right now the way they're shown in your avatar? If so, maybe you might want to grow them out a bit and then cut them thinner - so you can still have some light bangs to soften your look, but you can just pin them back when you want to go without them - I'm all about having lots of style options :D

Hylia
July 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I dont think your forehead looks huge either at all! But from experience I always found growing out bangs a pain. It is easy to cut your bangs and usually in my case it is an impulsive decision, but I always regret it later because the bangs always get in my face :P

myrrhmaiden
July 12th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I think a longish side-swept bang would suit you and serve your purposes nicely.

Merlin
July 12th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Now that was an eye-catching thread title!

janedoe0
July 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I don't think your forehead looks "huge" at all, but I do think that bangs look nice on you!

Raponsje
July 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Bangs are cute on you. Especially on pictures two and three. But I agree with a earlier remark that your forehead isn't huge at all. Rather gentile actually. And (a bit off topic) hurray for Norway. It is my favourite country.

Deborah
July 12th, 2010, 11:25 AM
You are just so cute! You remind me of a young Sissy Spacek.

Anyway, I like you much better without the bangs. You have a lovely forehead, and the beautiful shape of your face and the tone of your skin shine through better without the bangs.

(Just my opinion of course.)

spidermom
July 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I don't like the bangs in the first picture. The other pictures looked good.

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys! I've actually been thinking about the thin wispies, maybe I'll try that. The thing I don't like when I don't have bangs is that my hairline is so ... blah, I don't know. I seem bold when I look at myself in the mirror with my hair up :p

white line
July 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I don't think you have a large forehead at all. I really like pic 3. Maybe do a long side-swept bangs. That way it is more versitile for you

Toadstool
I like picture 2 best! And i agree your forehead is not huge.
I think you are very pretty btw

tinti

We have to cone or not to cone and to CO or not to CO, so why not this :p

TiltedHal0, I just posted them, using photobucket :)

triumphator!
July 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM
You look amazing in picture 3. Keep your bangs long!

serious
July 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
You look good both ways!
And, your forehead isn't huge at all. You are so pretty!

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Wow, thanks, both of you :)

jasper
July 12th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I like your look in the third pic the best. I don't think there is anything huge about your forehead. I know where you are coming from though, with the feeling of needing bangs to cover a forehead/ hairline. I don't say you need to cover yours, but have believed for years I need to cover mine because I have a widow's peak. I only mention that in your thread because it might tell you why I can't see any reason you should cover yours.

Tabihito
July 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I like either the longer side-swept bangs you have in the picture where you're outside (second one) or no bangs at all.

And on an utterly unrelated side-note, I miss Norway so very, very much. Sure, perhaps your dry winters with their static convinced me to cut all my hair off, and my host family got me to try lutefisk (an act my taste buds will never forgive me for), but it's a gorgeous country. I'm seriously jealous of anyone who lives there.

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Ah, yeah, that's it, Jasper. I tell myself that my forehead is huge, and that's what I see.

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I like either the longer side-swept bangs you have in the picture where you're outside (second one) or no bangs at all.

And on an utterly unrelated side-note, I miss Norway so very, very much. Sure, perhaps your dry winters with their static convinced me to cut all my hair off, and my host family got me to try lutefisk (an act my taste buds will never forgive me for), but it's a gorgeous country. I'm seriously jealous of anyone who lives there.

Awww thanks :D Ewf, once I ate jellied lutefisk, it was horrible. Now I don't dare eat it again :p Komle is better :D

Fairlight63
July 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
You are beautiful with bangs or without BUT I like the picture of you without bangs the best, I think.

atlantaz3
July 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'm in the same boat. It took me YEARS to grow out my bangs. Now I think every updo looks like mean bun lady no matter how intricate I try to make them. I'm also leaning toward the the long side swept, but don't want to have just one piece or a fringe out side of the bun. You could always start very small - wispy and add more if you decide you want them back.

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Good it's not just me. Why do they grow so fast when short, but so slow when I want them to grow? I'm thinking about at least cut a few framing strands if I quit the bangs. I used to do that when I managed to grow them out. And a parting that is not too deep would help with the one fringe outside the bun issue, I suppose. It's so many options, it's just finding the right one that's the problem :)

lapushka
July 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
To me, you look nicer without the bangs! Side-swept bangs aren't bad either, or a few face framing layers.

Tabihito
July 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Because bangs like to grow until they're long enough to poke you in the eyes and then just stop. Maximum annoying-ness, you know? That's where mine are right now, and I'd swear they've been here for weeks...

And yes, kumle is about a million times better than lutefisk. *shudder* How do you put up with the staticky winter there, though? My hair was going in about a thousand different directions all the time, until I eventually just gave up. I'm planning to go back and visit my host family over winter break, but don't want to deal with that nonsense again.

Juneii
July 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
not! your freckles are too cute to hide under bangs!

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Thank you :D

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Because bangs like to grow until they're long enough to poke you in the eyes and then just stop. Maximum annoying-ness, you know? That's where mine are right now, and I'd swear they've been here for weeks...

And yes, kumle is about a million times better than lutefisk. *shudder* How do you put up with the staticky winter there, though? My hair was going in about a thousand different directions all the time, until I eventually just gave up. I'm planning to go back and visit my host family over winter break, but don't want to deal with that nonsense again.
My hair was very static when I was about 11/17, but now it's ok. I just use products that prevent it, and I'm fine. I know, winters sucks. Last winter there was ice on the ground for 4 months, and it wasn't jus a tiny bit, it was LOADS! And they didn't salt it in my street, so I had a great deal of struggle when walking outside.

ButterCream
July 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM

lol, I have to say, maaaaany norwegians haaate lutefisk! So it isn`t just you:D
Komle is sooo much better! Yumm...

tinti, I think you look good without bangs too, I don`t think you have a big forehead at all:confused:
Sideswept bangs would look good on you I think:)

tinti
July 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks, ButterCream :) No, I know, the first time I ate it was when I was 18. It was good, but then the jellies came ruining it :p But one thing I'lll never try is rakfisk (rotten fish). I can't understand people who eats that, it's just grose.

Paniscus
July 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Not much help here- but you look good either way! I feel like I have a huge forehead too and I do wear bangs, but they are mostly side-swept. I feel like it's a good compromise.

Let your bangs grow and try to enjoy the in-between stages, and if you do not like you can always cut again!

error
July 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Awwe your forhead is not huge! In fact you have a lovely face shape, my mom told me I have a big forhead, lol but that woman rarely has nice things to say to me! so i ignore it I think your hair is gorgeous all long! <3

renarok
July 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I really love your freckles and a wispy side swept bang really accentuates your face. I don't think you have a freakishly large fore head. It looks just fine.

kmoc123
July 12th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I thought my forehead was huge, too. So I did cut bangs and I don't like them now. oh well...

BombaySapphire
July 12th, 2010, 04:32 PM
You have a beautiful heart shaped face, so really you could do either! I think no bangs/fringe looks nicer only because your eyes pop out more.

UltraBella
July 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I like the pic where you have bangs but they are not on your forehead at all, really pretty and soft. Plus it looks like you would be able to do a lot with it that way, styling wise.
Very nice forehead, not big !

sugarpixie10988
July 12th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I like both looks a lot! I don't think you have a big forehead at all though, and I think I prefer you without bangs. It's also much easier to deal with. Your freckles are so cute by the way, I love them! :)

MissySue
July 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I think you're just as cute as can be either way! But personally I've never liked the long side swept bangs, they always hang in my eyes and annoy me. If I had to pick one or the other I'd say keep the bangs. They soften the face and bring the focus of whoever is looking at you right to your pretty eyes!

HikerTrash
July 12th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I think it looks best with your long, grown-out bangs. I love your freckles.

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I like the half-grown out bangs the best. Maybe keep them as a few face-framing layers if they're not too much of a pain?

ps. Yay freckles! :D

Chiara
July 12th, 2010, 08:07 PM
You look great with, and without bangs!

I second the irritation of bangs when they get beyond the perfect length- in your eyes, getting greasy cause you keep pushing them out of the way- it's what stops me getting them again. Layers that can be kept off your face or tucked behind your ear are, I find, less irritating.

Lykaios
July 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
I like the third picture best, but you look good either way. I think I prefer the "no bangs", or long bangs best.

evampr18
July 12th, 2010, 08:39 PM
hi tinti :)

i think picture 3 has great color, and i think you can rock the bangs. hope i helped :)

Tressie
July 12th, 2010, 08:42 PM
You and your bangs are lovely, and the side swept look is good too! I think they suit you. (o:

Toadstool
July 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Bugger I said Picture 2 but I meant 3!

heynormy
July 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Bang away!! hahaha! I enjoy having bangs just because my updos are not as harsh! I think you look great either way, but the grown out bang is my favorite!

christine1989
July 12th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Side swept bangs that are a bit longer than average would be a nice way to frame your face but would also be easy to clip back or grow out if you change your mind.

Dragon
July 13th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I think the 3rd and 4th pitcher looks best. no bangs or long bangs look best.

stkl
July 13th, 2010, 04:36 AM
i like the side bangs (2nd picture) i think its a nice compromise because when its down you can just sweep it off your face or clip it back, and if you feel self concious in updos you can wear it down and soften your face. i agree that your freckles are super cute though!:D

MrsGuther
July 13th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I think you look lovely with your bangs. If you feel naked without your bangs, then keep them! I used to have fringe bangs and they did not suit me well, but I think that bangs look awesome on you.

Deb!
July 13th, 2010, 07:24 AM

I thought the same! ;)

Beesweet
July 13th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Well, you are very pretty, and I think you can pull them both off.

They are definitely different looks, however. I think the no bangs photos look more casual and looser, and very gentle. The bangs may make you look a little younger, but of course, this is just my opinion. I think you have a nice face shape for both, and not everybody does.

This has probably been said before -- I didn't read pages 4 and 5 -- but your bangs will grow out in no time if you decide you don't want them anymore. Also, that in between stage, with long angled bangs look good on you. I say go for the bangs.
They're kind of in right now, too.

Have fun with it!

luthien_belewen
July 13th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Very cute with bangs!

breezefaerie
July 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM
You don't have a large forehead in my opinion. Either look works for you but I like the no-bang look better.

Harriet
July 13th, 2010, 08:18 AM
You definately dont have a huge forehead. I like the last picture the best. I've just cut chin length bangs into my hair and I love it, it makes my updos look much nicer but they're long enough to tuck behind my ears and out of the way.

irisheyes
July 14th, 2010, 05:37 AM
You are lovely with either choice, but I think no bangs to show off every inch of your beautiful skin.