PDA

View Full Version : Hair is long in back, but only barely reaching shoulders on side?

Lizlee
July 12th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Okay, so my hair is down to my waist now, well most of it. It seems that the hair at the front and part of the side on both ends only grows to my shoulder, almost perfectly evenly on both sides. Does anyone have any idea why this is? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

triumphator!
July 12th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Sounds like an anime character! Who knows... maybe that is your terminal length there? Hair is weird, give it some time...

spidermom
July 12th, 2010, 09:05 AM
It could be sustaining damage that is making it break off around the front. For example, my SIL smokes, and her hair is always getting burned in the front. Or pulling back into a ponytail could be breaking it.

Or as triumphator said - maybe those hairs have a shorter terminal length. I have some hairs around my temples that only grow out to about 6 inches at the longest.

Khiwanean
July 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM
My hair does that too. As I understand it's pretty normal for hair on the sides to break off more simply by virtue of where it is - that is, it's in a place that tends to receive more wear and tear. And it's also normal to hair on different parts of your head to have different growth rates. For me I think it's a combination of the two. I also have some hairs that end up curving down to my cheekbones when I've had my hair up all day. (I'm sure they're there all the time, but that's just when they're noticeable.) I blame the hinges on my glasses for those.

kristymarie87
July 12th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Mine did that from heat damage, chemical damage etc. Hair is often finer around that area anyway and so more delicate.

I stopped using heat on it, colour my hair less (most people here dont do either anyway so im not assuming you do!) i started tying my hair up but leaving those parts out (going for a messy look i would say ;)) and eventually it started to look stronger and grow a bit!

My hair is SL anyway and those bits were so badly fried i cut into them alot, until they were almost ear! I hate it and looked terrible, so ive been tying it up since april with the exception of when im going for dinner for example. Now they too are almost shoulder.

You could always clip them parts back out of the way, or even french braid them into you hair (hippy style which is really in fashion) and that would be very protecting, look good and you'd notince the growth too!

alwayssmiling
July 12th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Yes my hair is quite fragile at the front and seems to grow like weed at the back. I think its because the texture is finer at the sides and therefore more prone to brittleness and breaking. I don't have any advice as such but I will watch your thread closely for any tips.

Gabriel
July 12th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Some of your hair there may be have a shorter terminal length but so much seems like it might be more than that. I agree with it probably being some sort of damage that is making that part of your hair shorter.

Along with what everyone else suggested like glasses, coloring, excessive heat styling and ponytails, you might also want to think about other ways you might be unintentionally damaging that part of your hair.

Back packs and pocketbooks, twirling/playing with your hair with your fingers without realizing it, hair clips that are too damaging, headbands that are not hair friendly, stuff like that.

Does anything anyone has suggested sound like a culprit?

Lizlee
July 12th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks for your help so far everyone! I suppose my hair might be finer on the front and sides.
I do not do any heat styling on my hair; however, I do get highlights every 2 months or so. I try to be extra gentle with it. I do wear glasses when I am not wearing my contacts, so that might be it I also wear it up in a soft ponytail at night with soft ouchless bands and as loose as possible. I guess it could be that I have 2 distinct terminal lengths, because my back length is over 30 inches and my sides are a good six inches shorter and evenly shorter. Interesting but I wish it would grow. I am going to see if I can determine if it is one of the causes you have mentioned. I am also going to measure the sides and see how that goes. One other thing is that I have bangs, so maybe this has something to do with it.
Thanks again for your help so far and I look forward to more ideas and will keep you updated with what I find out :)