PDA

View Full Version : Hats and updos- summer edition

Magdalene
May 15th, 2008, 09:11 AM
There was alot of discussion of managing hats and updos for the winter, how about for the summer?

What styles work best? I find sticked buns cause the most problems with a wide brimmed hat.

Eireann
May 15th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I'm quite fair, and nearly always need a hat at the beach. My hair isn't as long as most here (just BSL), and it was even shorter last summer, but I've had luck with braids (1 or 2), a low pony tail (below the hat) or a top-knot. I don't think a top-knot will work with very long hair, but for me, there is enough room for my hair in the crown of the hat. My hair is also quite fine, so even though it looks thick because it's wavy, it really doesn't have much heft.

naturechild
May 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I love the look of braids and a straw hat or my DF hat he stole form his dad on a trip to thieland. THe hat needs to look like you do wear it though not like something Bree would wear on "Desperate house wives"

I have a tiny head *no it does NOT relate to the size of my brain...... realy I swear*..

so I have to use something with tie or a childs hat. I can certanly get my hair up into a "grown up" size hat though.

centurytoolate
May 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I just bought a new, hideously ugly sun hat. Its only for use in my own yard so I always grab the ugliest thing I can find!

I have a big ole head so I can only wear a hat with my hair in a very low bun or pony held by a scunci.

Does anyone use hatpins any more?

Carolyn
May 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM
With a wide brimmed hat the only styles I can wear are a french braid or an English braid. A low ponytail would be a tangled mess so I can't do that. I sometimes wear a baseball cap with a single braid through the hole in the back or I'll do a bun out the back hole and secure it with sticks. That means the cap has to stay on or the bun comes down. I'll do a higher bun with one of the golfer visor thingies. I really don't like them as then tend to give me a really bad headache. This summer I'd like to try some things with cotton scarves. I hate wearing caps and hats but I do it when I am going to be outside for any period of time.

florenonite
May 15th, 2008, 09:47 AM

My aunt does!

Miss Murphy
May 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Great thread - especially since this is what I got in the mail todaya:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/Cheeseistheword/user13777_pic12280_1210863479.jpg

It is a regular wide-brimmed, floppy sun hat, but with a hole in the back for my bun. Underneath it fastens with three push-buttons. I can't wait to wear it! :inlove:

MusicLady
May 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I do! I love them. They're hard to find, so I started making my own.

Braids are definately the easiest for me with hats. But if I get a straw hat that is loose enough, I can fit it over a bun, and use my hairsticks to hold both the bun and the hat (using pins first before I put up the bun)

centurytoolate
May 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Cool! I'm going to look for hatpins!

Magdalene
May 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I do! I love them. They're hard to find, so I started making my own.

Braids are definately the easiest for me with hats. But if I get a straw hat that is loose enough, I can fit it over a bun, and use my hairsticks to hold both the bun and the hat (using pins first before I put up the bun)

pics, please? totally not picturing this!

Islandgrrl
May 15th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I can't get my hair up under a hat. Even as short as it is now (about BSL), there's just too much of it to stuff up under there. So I braid and then wear the hat. I just recently got a buff, and have been wearing it under my bike helmet to help keep my head warm in the morning on the way to work, and it covers nearly all of my braid - just the tassel and a few inches stick out the bottom. I can totally see the value of "buffing" under a hat to keep hair out of the sun.....

MusicLady
May 15th, 2008, 10:30 AM
pics, please? totally not picturing this!

I'll have to work on that. I think I left my best hats in Florida! Basically, though, it's just using a hairstick as a hatpin, with a loose, straw hat.

Anje
May 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I can't fit mine under a hat either. I don't really have big hair, but my head's larger than most women's hats already. Braids work well, and I may work on the low bun under the brim technique some more this summer.

soleluna
May 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
can you all post pictures oif your pretty hats so I have inspiration when I go in search of a hat for me?

icydove
May 15th, 2008, 11:55 AM
It is a regular wide-brimmed, floppy sun hat, but with a hole in the back for my bun. Underneath it fastens with three push-buttons. I can't wait to wear it! :inlove:

:spitting:

I was trying to figure out what was on the back of your hat! (Says to self,"Is that a nest? What kind of decoration is that?")

:rollin:

NenNa
May 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I often wear a straw hat, french braid and a hat pin. I use a large safety pin as a hat pin.

Sceleste
May 15th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I was just trying out some styles to go with my new summer hat. I don't usually wear a hat but next November I'll be going abroad for the first time of my life, to Fuerteventura, and thought I might need a hat there so I bought one. The only style that worked well was a braid. I tried to do a low bun held with a stick but it loosened fast. I can't imagine it holding a shopping trip, not to mention hiking. If anyone has a picture of a low bun with a hat, please post it so I can learn to make one before November :)

Elbereth
May 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Buns and regular hats just don't mix for me. And due to the fine and slippery nature of my hair, I could not make a lasting braid or ponytail to save my life. So I have had to explore a bit...

If I go out in public, I wear some style with a bandana scarf, or possibly my little black "Amishy-cap" which is essentially a very small, soft bonnet-style cap.

In my garden, I wear my hideously ugly sunbonnet. It is the ugliest and most comfortable sun hat I have ever tried. It provides just the perfect shade, stays on without pins (I usually have to use clips and pins to keep scarves and caps in place) and can accommodate any hairstyle- even with hairsticks.

harpgal
May 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I make an English braid, wrap it around a hair stick that is placed diagonally, and leave it low enough that I can put a large brimmed hat on. It took me a while to figure this out. I wear my hair like this for everything....walking, hiking, and bike riding.

Isilme
May 15th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I wear a parasol instead, protects my neck and shoulders too:)

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I wish I could find a hat that would look good on me.
It's like sunglasses... I can't find any hats or sunglasses that feel or look good on me.
Just another example of my severely bad luck. :lol:
Would love to see some of your hats for inspiration!

Millielie
May 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I don't wear hats or basecaps. I think they don't suit me and it just doesn't feel right :shrug:
I sometimes wear a bandana. I should buy some more in different colors for the summer I guess.

Miss Murphy
May 16th, 2008, 02:43 AM
:spitting:

I was trying to figure out what was on the back of your hat! (Says to self,"Is that a nest? What kind of decoration is that?")

:rollin:

Icydove, it does look strange, doesn't it! But it fits so nicely that it's worth the stares :cool:

Finoriel
May 16th, 2008, 06:38 AM
I mostly wear wide brimmed hats: a Panama hat made of straw, a leather one "cowboy-like", a felted one and several fabric ones like those outdoor fishing hats and beach hats. The best styles for me under such hats are all kinds of braids or a low bun at the nape, like Chinese or Japanese, infinity or pinless bun. High buns at the crown are really uncomfortable for me. They pull and I do not like the look of them on me, when I decide to take the hat down for a minute or leave it off inside and they do not fit under any hat I own.
I love to wear caps, scarfs or bandanas too. But they leave out my ears and the length of my hair, which is a big minus for me, so I tend to wear them not as much as hats with a wide brim. Additional to the hat styles I can leave my hair in a braided ponytail or in a bun sticking through the hole of the caps.
Bandanas or a buff in combination with a bun cover (crochet or fabric) are nice summer styles too, but probably not the best for really warm areas :wink:

ladystar
May 16th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I wear bandana's with my hair in a bun. I try to keep my hair away from the sun and the water. If I do wear a hat, I wear it in picktail braids.

Shell
May 16th, 2008, 08:08 AM
The whole hat and bun thing have been killing me! I have cut the crown out of a hat and crocheted a shallow crown for it, and it's okay, it holds well (with hat pins), and it shelters my bun under the brim, but it's not quite right. I bought a hat a few weeks ago at REI that has a fairly shallow crown, and that works very well, but my husband says it makes me look like a biologist (and he doesn't mean this in a nice way).

I also have a visor, which is the most versatile, as I can wear my hair a variety of ways with it, but I want to cover my crown, and even my shoulders a bit. I wear scarves when the only demon is wind, but no good if it's sunny.

I'll be watching to find your solutions!

Miss Murphy
May 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
The whole hat and bun thing have been killing me! I have cut the crown out of a hat and crocheted a shallow crown for it, and it's okay, it holds well (with hat pins), and it shelters my bun under the brim, but it's not quite right. I bought a hat a few weeks ago at REI that has a fairly shallow crown, and that works very well, but my husband says it makes me look like a biologist (and he doesn't mean this in a nice way).

I also have a visor, which is the most versatile, as I can wear my hair a variety of ways with it, but I want to cover my crown, and even my shoulders a bit. I wear scarves when the only demon is wind, but no good if it's sunny.

I'll be watching to find your solutions!

Shell, don't you think a hat like mine (pictured above) would be perfect for you? I had it done so I could wear my regular bun, and not just a low one.

ginalaurie
May 16th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I can totally see the value of "buffing" under a hat to keep hair out of the sun.....

I'm going to spend a week at the beach in June, and I bought 2 buffs, one with an attached visor and one without. I've been practicing with them for hair protection and this is what seems will work. I tie a knot in the end of the buff, then braid my hair in a single plait down the back, then sort of fold up the braid and let it bunch up in the back, but the buff keeps it tight against my head and the knot in the end keeps it from coming out of the back of the buff. The visor buff will be good when I'm in the water, and the regular buff works well under hats. The buff also keeps my straw hat from rubbing the top of my head too much.

As you can tell, I've been giving this a lot of thought! I didn't want one week at the beach to ruin 3 years of babying my hair. The buffs keep the hair completely covered, have UV protection, and also protect from wind damage.

Shell
May 16th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Shell, don't you think a hat like mine (pictured above) would be perfect for you? I had it done so I could wear my regular bun, and not just a low one.

I'm looking for something with a wider brim, but I'll keep your's in mind! I'd also like my bun to be covered as well.

Miss Murphy
May 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I'm looking for something with a wider brim, but I'll keep your's in mind! I'd also like my bun to be covered as well.

The brim at the front is wider, though I am sure that could be done for the brim in the back as well (after all, it's custom-made). Also I could imagen a little "sack" to go over your bun, if you know what I mean.

MusicLady
May 16th, 2008, 11:16 AM
After all this talk of hats, and realizing I had left all my good hats in Florida, when DH comes home last night and says "Kohl's is having these great sales! 60, 70 & 80% off! I said, "I'm going hat shopping!". So this hat is called a packable hat, which is very handy for me since we travel so much. It is stretchy enough to go over a flat bun. I don't think I could poke a hairstick through it for a hatpin though. The weave isn't loose enough.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/MusicLady/redhat.jpg

dancingbarefoot
May 16th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I can't fit mine under a hat either. I don't really have big hair, but my head's larger than most women's hats already.

Same here. I have a really hard time just finding a hat that fits my head, much less a hat I actually like. I've tried to find sources for larger women's hats - or even just vendors that sell more than than just one-size-fits-most hats - but no luck so far.

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Same here. I have a really hard just finding a hat that fits my head, much less a hat I actually like.

Same here. No hats fit me right or look good on me, and it's so hard to find one that I think is good-looking anyway. :(

blue_nant
May 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/raptorrunner/ResizeFacHat.jpg

This is my favorite summer hat, although it's a bit hot. It has wire through the edge. It keeps the ticks off me, or at least off my head. It's windy here, so I had a couple holes punched, through which I run a line that has a big bead on it, which you can *just* see. The wind can take the hat off my head, but I usually have it cinched up under my braid (not chin) and I can retrieve it w/o too much fumbling.

I was in the woods back east in this pic and didn't need to deal with the wind. There was no wind, so it's in front.

If it's really hot, I wear a bandanna and shades, and good looks be damned.

I bought a hat a few weeks ago at REI that has a fairly shallow crown, and that works very well, but my husband says it makes me look like a biologist (and he doesn't mean this in a nice way).

What's wrong with how we look????? Every sort of geek or nerd has a look. To each other we look, well, geeky, but in a adventuresome way, yeah, like Indie. Say ... what *does* he mean???? mmmph

Ms Monnie
May 17th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Great thread - especially since this is what I got in the mail todaya:

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/Cheeseistheword/user13777_pic12280_1210863479.jpg

Ooh! I need one of those. Where did it come from? What kind of styles does it come in?

Jostar
May 17th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I have a wide-brimmed floppy purple hat I wear for sun and gardening and festivals. This is me wearing said purple hat. I love it. Yes, i am at a festival and yes, I may have enjoyed a drop of local organic cider.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/jostar/BeautifulDayz2007081-1.jpg

Jostar
May 17th, 2008, 07:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/jostar/BeautifulDayz2007081-1.jpg

Miss Murphy
May 17th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Ooh! I need one of those. Where did it come from? What kind of styles does it come in?

MsMonnie, I'll send you a PM with the details! :)

Ms Monnie
May 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Thank you Miss Murphy! :D

frizzinator
May 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM
One of these Pony Scrubs replaces the do-rag when I'm working in the garden. It will cover a low bun as well as a ponytail.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/51608001.jpg

I really like the buff too. I have a large head, and must buy men's hats.

A ladies hat can be altered to fit. I have taken the hatbands off the inside as well as the outside of a ladies hat, then I put the bandless hat on my head to stretch it, then I make larger hatbands to replace the old ones, in order to stop the hat from stretching more.

If you try my modification technique, be aware that some hats are made in 2 pieces, the crown and the brim, with the seam under the hatband. This type of construction is more difficult to modify as I described in the previous paragraph, and even though I'm in the process of trying to alter a hat like this, I recommend altering a hat which is made in one piece. I've been altering vintage panama hats which are made of just one piece. It may be difficult to find a newly made hat that is made in one piece of material.

bparnell75
October 18th, 2016, 10:33 AM
how do you do that hair style in your avatar pic? Just lovely

Vallena
October 18th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I'm going to spend a week at the beach in June, and I bought 2 buffs, one with an attached visor and one without. I've been practicing with them for hair protection and this is what seems will work. I tie a knot in the end of the buff, then braid my hair in a single plait down the back, then sort of fold up the braid and let it bunch up in the back, but the buff keeps it tight against my head and the knot in the end keeps it from coming out of the back of the buff. The visor buff will be good when I'm in the water, and the regular buff works well under hats. The buff also keeps my straw hat from rubbing the top of my head too much.

As you can tell, I've been giving this a lot of thought! I didn't want one week at the beach to ruin 3 years of babying my hair. The buffs keep the hair completely covered, have UV protection, and also protect from wind damage.

I have a UV buff, I should try something like this next time I'm out!