PDA

View Full Version : I just realised...

Dream0331
July 12th, 2010, 01:59 AM
That my hair is now wavy. I had it cut short in 2006 and prior to that it was pin straight all my life. I kept it short until after DD2 was born in 2008. I never thought that my hair would change due to pregnancy, but now at APL+ length, it is wavy! This is the hair I`ve wanted all my life! :cheese: But...I am not sure how to care for it the best really. If I brush or comb while wet, it goes straight again. How can I keep my waves? How can I enhance them? Any insight is greatly appreciated, but for now, more cheese dance! :cheese: I love my hair!

Linnykinz
July 12th, 2010, 02:10 AM
Enhancing the waves you have can be easy once you get the hang of it :) First off, my hair goes straight when I comb or brush it too. What I do after I wet it is, just tousle it into the style I want with my fingers or a hair pick, and re-scrunch to get the curls back. Sometimes I will not touch it at all but it takes forever to dry.

Your hair is at the length that it can be braided now *lucky!* so braids are a great way to get waves in your hair too. Just english or french braid your hair, I usually would do it at night or after a shower when my hair is somewhat damp still (if it is too wet, it may not dry!), and shake loose after :) Whatever styling products you use are up to your own routine. The more braids you do at once, the smaller and tighter your waves will be ;) Enjoy your newfound texture, waves are amazing!!

BlackfootHair
July 12th, 2010, 02:29 AM
I second the scrunching. I am a no product kind of girl, I like my hair soft all the time. But sometimes I really like to play up my curls. I have tried a few curl creams with success. One is from Kenra, and the other is from Beyond the Zone, bought from Sally's. I just recently tried a spray gel from KMS for curly hair. It is amazing as well! I woke up with hair that was a mess today. I sprayed it with water, picked it out, sprayed the gel, and scrunched! After my hair dried it looked like I had loosened perm waves!

Yay for loving your hair! :D

Dream0331
July 12th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the tips. I just hope I can scrunch properly to make it look good lol.

TiltedHal0
July 12th, 2010, 11:11 AM
My hair used to be really really straight as well, until I had children, then it mysteriously turned wavy/curly....

To keep some of my curl, I use Paul Sebastian Potion 9, it's a leave in conditioner, but thick enough for me to use as a gel and it isn't sticky or stiff. I also have light layering throughout my hair too...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/jaysabkayry/Hair/LongHairJuly12th2010010-2.jpg

sneakybea
July 13th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I had straight-ish hair until I got to college, so hair texture does definitely change over time! I like to coil my hair in a bun on top of my head for sleeping as a wave to encourage both waves and body. I also like to do it after washing when my hair is almost dry. You might also search the forum on "plopping;" though I've never figured out how to do it myself, I think it's supposed to encourage waves and curls.

pepperminttea
July 13th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Fingercombing to detangle, gentle scrunching with a little of your leave-in of choice, and sometimes French braiding bring out my waves the most. That said, by the time I get to wash day my hair's normally a 1B/1C, but on the plus side that does make off-day updos easier. :)

tinker bug
July 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM
I'd like to pipe in that Aloe Vera gel works great for scrunching, just be sure to get the clear kind!!