PDA

View Full Version : <~~~ Newbie! : )

Al.Weezy
July 12th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hi Ladies! ( & Gents? )

I'm new around here! Right now my hair is currently a little bit past my shoulders.

Previously it was down to my elbows and I cut it in a super short A-line cut.

Now... i'm tired of the short life so I'm growing it out! I have a few questions.

I have super thick but for the most part, healthy hair. I straighten my hair once a week if that I never blow-dry my hair & I color... hardly ever before this last time it was since November.

How often do you trim your hair?

What kind of Shampoo/Conditioner do you use?

To CoWash or Not to CoWash?

Thank you so much!

HintOfMint
July 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Welcome! I hope you find all the information you need for your hair.

As for your questions

For the past two years, I trimmed every 3 - 6 months. I'm spacing it out to 9 months (hopefully I'll make it.) Basically, unless your hair grows unevenly or you accumulate damage, you don't really need to trim your hair. If I manage to not damage my hair in any significant ways that would contribute to breakage, I'll be able to stave off a trim for beyond 6 months.

I CWC (condition-wash-condition). I'll put some conditioner on my hair and then apply shampoo only to the scalp. I'll rinse all of it off and then condition normally, where I would leave on the conditioner for a bit longer (usually long enough to complete the rest of my shower duties). I usually use V05 Vanilla Mint Tea for the first C, Mane 'n Tail shampoo for the W, and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner for the last C. Recently, though, for the last C, I have spiked my V05 with heated honey and aloe gel.

CO washing is great for some and horrible for others. The only way to figure it out is to experiment. Many here swear by it. For me, it made me shed like a maniac. For others, it actually cleared up scalp problems and was a godsend. Check out the official CO thread for some instructions.

Best of luck in getting great hair!

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Welcome to the LHC! :flower:

I trim when I need to, which for me is every 6-12 months generally, but I regularly go through my hair on S&D missions (search and destroy) just trimming off the split ends.
I use Pure 'Nuff Stuff's at the moment, both shampoo and conditioner. They're a small nasties-free UK brand, I like them a lot. :D
I don't CoWash (assuming you mean conditioner-only washing, no shampoo), and haven't tried it though I keep meaning to, but there's a great thread on it here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898

jera
July 12th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Hi and welcome to LHC. :) To answer your questions, I only trim my hair as needed. Twice in the past year I dusted the ends taking maybe 1/4 inch off each time.
I don't use any shampoo anymore. I use the WO method. ( Water only ). Followed by conditioner to rinse out and then a leave in conditioner. I used to use CO but my hair became dry from all the heat this summer, fans and AC blowing on it, so I began using WO for cleansing and my hair likes that.

I think you just have to experiment and find out what works for you. ;)

Laylah
July 12th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Welcome :-)

How often do you trim your hair?: I trim once a year, generally right before spring. No particular reason, but it seems that a year is approximately the time it takes for the damage to come to enough significance that the ends need a trim.

What kind of Shampoo/Conditioner do you use? I've used Jason Kids Gentle Shampoo almost all my life, lol. It works at removing dirt, isn't drying, doesn't hurt my scalp, isn't expensive, and smells pleasant. What more can I ask? I've been using Everyday Shea Vanilla Conditioner for nearly a year now. It's one of the few conditioners that I've found that's both moisturizing enough for me and comes in a large container for less money than most. However, two of the women from my family find it makes their hair too greasy.

I generally don't CO wash although I have tried it on several occasions. It's never worked until I tried it with the everyday shea conditioner, but that was only about a week ago. I may try it in the future. Usually though I just shampoo and condition.

BlackfootHair
July 12th, 2010, 02:37 AM
HI!

How often do you trim your hair? Maybe, twice a year, if that. I really don't trim unless I have to.

What kind of Shampoo/Conditioner do you use? I love Sunsilk from Thailand. My hair likes heavy products with silicone for detangling, and these products have a lot. I usually use the Black Shine shampoo since I dye my hair blue-black. For conditioner I use either Smooth & Soft, or Damage Repair. They smell strong, just like the Sunsilk in the US, but smell different, if that makes sense. I buy them at the Asian store.

To CoWash or Not to CoWash? This is a personal decision. I do it every once in a while, like winter time. I can't do it for long though because my scalp gets gross. I know that if you are going to commit to that method, you have to let your scalp go through a phase. After that, it normalizes out. When you shampoo often, your scalp produces more oils.

Dragon
July 12th, 2010, 03:07 AM
How often do you trim your hair? Twice a year

What kind of Shampoo/Conditioner do you use? A conditioning one with protein.

To CoWash or Not to CoWash? Have never tried it

Dreams_in_Pink
July 12th, 2010, 03:26 AM
First off, welcome aboard! :D

How often do you trim your hair? I try not to, i want to get to my goal ASAP!! :eyebrows:

What kind of Shampoo/Conditioner do you use? Depends; but i try to go with cone-free stuff. Cone doesn't do anything nice to hair, if i want to coat my hair with something i use oils.

To CoWash or Not to CoWash? Not if you have scalp problems like me :(

BelleBot
July 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I last trimmed in March I think. I may trim again before the year is out. So perhaps once or twice a year to keep the ends tidy. But I S&D a couple of times a week usually whenever I'm bored basically. (cut individual split ends)

I very rarely use shampoo, if I do, then I use whatever is lying around just to clarify my hair or if it's gotten really dirty. I also sometimes use Naked shampoos.
The conditioners I use are Asda's Jojoba conditioner, Boot's essentials conditioner for dry/damaged hair and I also use various different conditioners from the Naked range.

CO is the way for me. It's done wonders for taming my oily scalp so instead of washing my hair every 1 - 2 days, I can now go up to a week without washing and it doesn't get greasy. I always use cone free conditioners to prevent any build up. My hair loves it!

jane53
July 12th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Welcome, Al.Weezy!

Every 2 months or so

Suave Naturals Coconut shampoo and conditioner are treating me best now. And very affordable.

I need shampoo, at least on my scalp!

Capybara
July 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Whenever it needs it :) I trim usually once or twice a year, and S&D in between.

Whatever is in the house :p I like Suave, Herbal Essences, and TRESemmé.

Yes and no. If it works for you, go for it! I CoWash about once every two weeks, and CWC in between. I find that this keeps a nice balance in my hair.

HairColoredHair
July 12th, 2010, 08:37 AM

I don't! Well, I suppose technically I do S&D (trim individual damaged strands), but I don't trim the whole of my head. :)

Whatever feels best. Shampoo doesn't really matter for me, I just dilute it out anyway. I try to find one that's mild though. Conditioner depends on what my hair needs (slip, moisture, whatever)

I can CO, but tend not to. CO for me only works with a long time period and I'm lazy!

Merewen
July 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hello there! :waving:

I trim whenever I feel like it needs it. I think I've trimmed twice, maybe, in the last year.

I use cheapie shampoo when I use shampoo (VO5). I use cheapie (VO5 again) conditioner for the first rinse and then some nicer more moisturizing stuff for my final rinse, such as Giovanni 50/50 or Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

That depends on if it works for you. I CO washed all winter and LOVED it. It stopped working when I moved a couple months ago, though, so I've started using a little bit of diluted shampoo.