PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping hair around ponytail holder?

Charlotte:)
July 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I like to cover my ponytail holder by wrapping some of my hair around it and securing it with a bobby pin. The only problem is that it usually unwinds within an hour. Does anybody know of a meathod that will keep the hair fom unwinding?

ravenreed
July 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
You can get a tool that pulls the end of the hair back through the elastic. Like this:

Topsy Tail. (http://www.amazon.com/Topsy-Tail-Jr-Style-Braidmaker/dp/B003GRN3OO/ref=pd_sim_bt_1)

Gumball
July 11th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I agree. Just find something to pull the end through the hair tie and you have it secured!

pepperminttea
July 12th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I use a topsy tail too, bobby pins make it feel a bit too lumpy to be comfortable. I found mine on eBay for less than £2 with postage, and my flipped ponytails are very messy by hand, so it was definitely worth it. :)

eezepeeze
July 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I do this, too. When I put the bobby pins in, I crisscross them and also make sure I get some of the elastic in there, too, so it's more secure. I have found using a slightly thicker section of hair holds better than a super skinny one. Hope this helps!

I have a topsy tail, also, but I feel it gives a very different look than does the wrapped pony. I feel like the topsy tail look is softer and more romantic and the wrapped pony is more modern and professional. Just my two cents. :)

HintOfMint
July 15th, 2010, 12:53 AM
There are some hair ties that are part synthetic hair and part elastic. Perhaps you could find one that matches your hair and use that. I saw it at Rite Aid, although I'm sure you could find it online.

tinti
July 15th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I just do the V trick, and it stays, because then the hair is pushed to the end of the pin and the pin lays under the hair tie

the v trick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxvcEnv9wKA

ravenreed
July 15th, 2010, 03:02 AM
How does it look different if you are just using it to pull the end of the wrap through the elastic? I am confused.

I do this, too. When I put the bobby pins in, I crisscross them and also make sure I get some of the elastic in there, too, so it's more secure. I have found using a slightly thicker section of hair holds better than a super skinny one. Hope this helps!

I have a topsy tail, also, but I feel it gives a very different look than does the wrapped pony. I feel like the topsy tail look is softer and more romantic and the wrapped pony is more modern and professional. Just my two cents. :)

Marjolein
July 15th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I just do the V trick, and it stays, because then the hair is pushed to the end of the pin and the pin lays under the hair tie

the v trick

So that's the V-trick you were talking about. Neat!!

GRU
July 15th, 2010, 10:20 AM
How does it look different if you are just using it to pull the end of the wrap through the elastic? I am confused.

RR, I think they're thinking of doing an actual Topsy-Tail (pulled through pony), but what you're talking about (if I'm understanding you) is just using the Topsy device like a needle to pull the end of the tress (the one that was used for wrapping) back through the elastic to join the rest of the ponytail. The end would then be held by the elastic along with the rest of the hair, and no bobby pin would be needed.

eezepeeze
July 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM
RR, I think they're thinking of doing an actual Topsy-Tail (pulled through pony), but what you're talking about (if I'm understanding you) is just using the Topsy device like a needle to pull the end of the tress (the one that was used for wrapping) back through the elastic to join the rest of the ponytail. The end would then be held by the elastic along with the rest of the hair, and no bobby pin would be needed.

Aaaahh, now I see. Yes, I was thinking about doing an actual topsy tail. I actually never thought of using a topsy tail in this way. Hmm. Clever. :cool:

ravenreed
July 20th, 2010, 12:49 AM
The V-Trick looks awesome. I so have to try this. I always have whispies but I am a bit intimidated by bobby pins. Shh. My secret is out.

the v trick

Yep, that is the way I do a wrapped pony. It stays really well that way.

strwbrry dakri
July 20th, 2010, 08:48 AM

I think you misunderstood the earlier post. Topsy tail can be used to pull the end of the section of hair that is wrapped around the elastic through the elastic - securing it without bobby pins.

kristymarie87
July 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I would use the topsy tair too pull the hair under the elastic as mentioned above, but i also thick using a bit of oil to smooth the hair first would help keep strays away and look sleek too.

charalito
August 26th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Thank you thank you thank you for the topsy tail trick!
I never managed to get a pretty hair wrap with bobby pins and it usually unraveled in less than an hour. With the topsy/needle trick it stays the whole day! I'm happy! :)

leslissocool
August 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM

the v trick

this is amazing! thank you!!!

christine1989
August 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I like to tuck the hair into the ponytail holder and that usually holds all day. They also sell faux hair ponytail holders at Sephora that look pretty real. I managed to find one that matched my hair color perfectly.

Kateelizabee
August 26th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Here's a video tutorial of the topsy tail method:

http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/5-minutes/hairstyle-video-hair-wrapped-ponytail/