PDA

View Full Version : Fine-haired ppl: how long until hair lays nicely?

Rini
July 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I'm just feeling a bit frustrated right now! My hair is passing BSL now, but I still don't feel good about wearing it down. I just think it looks flyaway/floaty and doesn't "swing" like other people's hair. I know it's just my natural wurly/fine texture, but I figure there has to be SOME point where the weight of my hair will finally allow it to "hang" down my back a bit better. I'm just really sick of the messy appearance.

I just want to know from others with a similar texture, at what length did it start to "behave" for you? Give me some hope!!! Tell me how wonderful it will be when it's waist length! :D

clichepithet
July 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hmm, well. I'm somewhere around 29-29.5, which is in the Waist Lands for me and I still never really wear it down for reasons including what you're wondering about. It just floats about and snarls and wraps around stuff. "Stuff" never seems to be a free Ficcare Innovation, large.

ETA: Yup what spidermom said, just below there. Product can help, at times.

spidermom
July 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
My hair still floats around. I can get it to lay better with product. I've been using a curl creme lately because it helps all the independent hairs to clump together better, giving my hair more weight.

Elph
July 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I am sorry - I can not really give you hope. My fine fine below waist hair still is not heavy enough. I must say if I can get some thickness it might be better but I think for me wearing my hair out just doesn't work.

Although as the other poster did say my ponies look better if I put some wax through the ends to give them some weight and sticking power (the only issue with this is I don't like how wax feels)

jackiesjottings
July 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM
I am a fine hair but mine does seem to hang nicely. It drove me mad when it was just below my shoulders as it was all over the place, but by APL it was OK. Good luck :)

HikerTrash
July 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Hair at waist. Still waiting. I can sometimes wear it down if I wear a hat.

Anje
July 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM
My hair still is floaty, but the floatiness is lower down, further from my face.

I think a drop or two of oil in my length can cut some of that floaty quality, but the tradeoff is that it can get a little stringy. I'm not a fan of this in my hair, though DH likes it with some clumps, and wavier and curlier-haired folks tend to prefer it. I seem to remember it also being a bit less floaty with WO washing than it currently is with CO, and CO is certainly less frizzy for me than shampooing.

spidermom
July 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Oh, and P.S. - only part of my hair is fine. I've got a mix of fine, medium, and coarse hairs, and each hair likes to go its separate way; so frustrating!

heidihug
July 12th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Sorry, but my hair is fine and floaty and a tangly mess when worn down, still. And I am between classic and knee.

Rini
July 13th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Oh no :( not much hope for me then? Being the eternal optimist, I will cling in hope to jackiesjottings testimonial for now. I know that product etc does help, but I was just hoping that at a certain length my hair would start to rely on product less and less. Not the case I guess....:shrug:

christine1989
July 13th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Don't feel too bad- my hair strands are all really thick and it just floats about too. It seems like it looks great for about 5 minutes after I brush it then it reverts back to its flat, shapeless state. I think it is more a texture problem than a charactaristic of fine hair. I remember when I had it near waist though it was far less "floaty" and more weighed down. I find that damp bunning creates a more defined texture and makes it look better down.

James M
July 13th, 2010, 01:17 AM
My hair is fine! I need like six months before I'm at shoulder...

But my hair blows EVERYWHERE. Except my biggest issue is humidity. If it's hot, and humid, plus a tiny bit of wind... Ruined. :( Just goes flat.

But, hey, at least your hair is soft :)

Cupofmilk
July 13th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Mine isnow waist ish and not happy. It was no better at tb/classic

Marjolein
July 13th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I wonder if it's really the fineness of the hair that does it. I also have fine hair and it never floats. It does 'poof' from the ears down though. But that's no problem for me, just gives the illusion I have more hair :cool:.

rags
July 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I don't know, Marjolein, perhaps the OP has baby fine hair, as I do? Also, I think it's fine hair combined with wavy. I notice the straighties don't seem to have as much trouble with this. Mine is only almost BSL now, but it has been at tailbone before - still floatly and wavy and just ick. The only way I can wear it down is with product also.

ETA: I just looked and several of the responders had straight hair. Ah well - so much for that theory! But I do think the waves make it look messier when it floats about!

Anje
July 13th, 2010, 09:26 AM
You know, Rini, you're pretty wavy. Why not put some sort of product in your hair to try to clump the waves more? It doesn't work that well with my half-heartedly-wavy hair (looks stringy a lot of the time when I try), but if you can get a little gel or something to organize your hair into clumps a bit, I'll bet it would limit the floatyness, too.

frodolaughs
July 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
One of the reasons I find long hair easier to manage than short is that my hair is fine and floaty, and I prefer to keep it contained than let it fly around. The texture loose and freshly washed is something like cobwebs. It's less floaty 5 days after a wash or oiled, but the texture at the scalp doesn't look so nice in that state. I think you can get away with more that way because of your wavy texture.

frodolaughs
July 13th, 2010, 09:39 AM
oops. I see that Rags thinks waves are more of a challenge than straight. (I'm at tailbone and working towards classic, btw).

*Aoife*
July 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
My hair is fine-ish. I'm hitting BSL now and its only just started to look good down now. But I can only wear it down the day of washing when it's very wavey with some curls. It still looks ick the rest of the time.

virgo75
July 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM
My hair is almost cotton strand fine, it's ridiculous.
It's also curly so not only is it fluffy, but it can poof which(when short enough) can resemble black cotton candy. :lol:

The only thing that helps me is product.
Right now my hair is shoulder length and lays down with leave-in conditioner.
My current fave is Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Leave-In.
Smells yummy. :)
It has cones though, not sure if you avoid those.

Hope that helps. :flower:

heidihug
July 13th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I know that product etc does help, but I was just hoping that at a certain length my hair would start to rely on product less and less.
Rini, I've actually found that I use a lot more product now that my hair is longer, if you count in oils as products. I oil my ends after every wash, and use one of three or four coney leave-ins on the length from ears down. That does seem to help some with the floaty issue, though it still seems to levitate all on its own when I am walking around the house with my hair down. I always thought it was static electricity, but it happens even when the humidity is high and my hair is as flat and straight as can be.

Rini
July 14th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I wonder if it's really the fineness of the hair that does it. I also have fine hair and it never floats. It does 'poof' from the ears down though. But that's no problem for me, just gives the illusion I have more hair :cool:.

It's the texture of my hair being fine-medium AND wavy...I don't think it's a good combination :(

Anje, yes product does help, but I was really hoping someone would tell me that, at a certain length, I would not need to worry about it.

heidihug, oh no! hehe I always use a leave-in, but my hair can still manage to go 90 degrees from my head without much provocation.

<sigh> perhaps long hair is not meant for my hair type? I am resigned to a life time of products....

Marjolein
July 14th, 2010, 04:43 AM
I've been thinking a little further. Could it perhaps be a combination of fine and dry hair that causes fly-aways?

My hair gets greasy really really quickly and I cannot use any leave-ins (including oils) because those would only weigh it down and make it look stringy and yes, greasy.

(Sorry to turn your topic into a semi-scientific discussion, Rini)

MerryKat
July 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Hi Rini

I am at waist and my hair has definitely improved as it has gotten longer. I find NW/WO works well which uses the sebum instead of product.

My other option is using non-coney shampoo and conditioner to wash and a coney conditioner to scrunch through when I want to wear it wurly.

I bun my hair to sleep most nights and I find that that helps to smooth it down - just do not brush too much - causes huge static and horizontal hair. I brush at night, bun, sleep - in the morning take down and put into half up or loose and just gently finger comb.

Your hair is looking great.

ButterCream
July 14th, 2010, 08:44 AM
I have waited a coupple of days before posting, because I wanted to see if my little experiment still worked for me, and it does:D
BUT it is by using a product unfortunately (natural one, you probably have it allready;))

After conditioning and rinsing out my hair (I CO) I leave a peasized dot of conditioner smoothed along my ends seconds after rinsing so it are left without being rinsed out again and the hair is dripping wet, and then carefully I just pat my towel as usual for soaking up water on my hair (I stopped rubbing my towel on my heat as I usually did in the "old" days, lol...*
(*Old days being before I joined this forum, lol:poot:)

Then, while wet but after patting hair so it doesn`t drip that much, I also use a dollop of pure Aloe Vera about 15 centimeters from my ends and all the way down, and when my hair has airdried and carefully combed my ends just lays more flat, smooth and SILKY on my back! (I am bsl)
They don`t fly all over the place anymore! I usually wear it up, but when it is down it lays there just Hanging around doing nothing but looking pretty, lol:)

I have never experienced that before actually since my hair is soooo fly away, and I have now done it for two weeks and I am going to do this as long as it works, hopefully forever, lol:D

My ends are so smooth and soft now, so I am amazed of how they feel!:cheese:

I use J/A/S/O/N Aloe Vera gel 98%, as that is the only one I can get here.
I use Neutral conditioner in my hair, it is lightweight and without perfume, parabens, silicones or color.

Just my experience and doesn`t include any other products the two mentioned, a lightweight conditioner and Aloe Vera!:D

Xi
July 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Rini, I do believe long hair is meant for ALL hairtypes! :flower: When I am planning to wear my hair down, I don't really use any products. I CWC with a coney conditioner, damp braid (usually 2), and leave till completely dry. This makes shiny waves that sort of incorporate the flyaways/floatiness into the general style. My hair is never going to look tidy down, so I embrace its craziness... I'm sure elves have flyaways.;)

lapushka
July 14th, 2010, 10:41 AM
When my hair air dries, there are always strands that dry super fast, when the rest of my hair takes hours, and they're next to my ears and also some on the canopy. They are horribly fluffy and flyaway. The only thing that helps is moisturizing them a bit (oil, conditioner, leave-in, glycerine/water spray). But beyond that, I don't experience the same kind of problems. I can only let it air dry a bit, though, until most of the wetness is gone, because it needs the diffuser for a short time for some volume up top.

Mexibeach
July 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I can't wait for my hair to float around again :)
I think using some hair product may assist. I have some "curl activator" by AG products (I think...) and it used to work well when my hair was long.

Rini
July 15th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Marjolein, no problem I like science! Yes, I think dryness does contribute and my hair right now is definitely dry.

Hi MerryKat :waving:, I'm so glad to hear that your hair is getting better as it gets longer. I have been following the WO thread for some time now and I'd still be willing to give it a shot. Last attempt resulted in a really sore and bruised feeling scalp though :confused:

Buttercream, thanks for that! Yes, AVG works great for me too. I was just wondering whether having longer hair would reduce the need for things like AVG. Glad you've found a good routine that's working for you!

Xi, "I'm sure elves have flyaways", I LOVE it!!!

lapushka, yes I get those fast drying fluffy hairs too! Why is that? Why do some bits dry in record time and then the rest takes all day? (rhetorical question, I don't expect anyone to know the answer to this one!)

tinti
July 15th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I think my hair is fine, but I don't know. It doesn't float, if I have'nt done something to it that make it float, shorter layers doesn't like buns and all that.

trillcat
July 15th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I feel in such good company in this thread. Fine floaty hair here. I have tried everything I can to tame the floaty frizz, silicone based deals work, but make my hair crunchy after a day and my hair protests. Oiling works, but I tend to over do it and end up with the greasys.
Being summer and beastly hot, I wear it up all the time, so the freaky floaty frizz is not too much of a problem, but I would like the option of wearing it down, and it's only just a bit beyond BSL for gosh sake! Recently blonded too, so even though it isn't fried, it looks fried.
I will be watching this thread with interest, I must tame the floaty frizz, elfin or not. :)