PDA

View Full Version : It had to go.

JenniferNoel
July 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Well, anyone that's read through my thread in the friendship board knows that pictures aren't in the game right now, but the massive shed I spoke of a couple weeks ago has not let up, and is only getting much worse. My MBL hair became see through and limp, I tried all kinds of treatments but the limpness and dryness would not cease. Losing over 200 hairs per day, there was nothing I could do.
I cut to shoulder, and it still looks thin.
I'm going to continue caring for my hair of course, but I'm going to keep it this length until the shed subsides.
I thought it was a stress shed at first, then thought it could be hormonal, tried everything in the blasted book, and the shed continued.
I know that most people go through huge sheds once in a while but for it to last so many months and progress worse and worse, is just weird. I've never had a shed like this in my life before, I've had yearly sheds and monthly stalls though.
I like it this length, it looks good and I can sleep with it loose, and I have no need to put it up. I was considering cutting for a month and a half and I finally acted on it. I may re grow in the distant future, but I hope I'm still welcome to hang around here. You folks are great. :)

JenniferNoel
July 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Whoops! Wasn't thinking. I put this in the wrong section! How silly of me. Please forgive me, and if anyone can move it to the mane forum it'd be greatly appreciated. Sorry again. :o

jane53
July 11th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Any idea why it's shedding? People post here from time to time about shedding and I always wonder "whassup wid dat?" I hope your health is good.

little_cherry
July 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I was balding in several spots after lots of stress, depression and banging my head. I purchased monistat and it seems to work.

I'm glad you like your hair at this length! Which treatments did you try?

JenniferNoel
July 11th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Well, everyone is starting to think it's linked to some minor head trauma from a tiny accident a couple months back. Not sure though because it seemed to have started before that.
I did some SMT's to help the dryness, some oil treatments (scalp only, coconut and oilve oil, funny, my scalp usually loves those), and everything felt nice but the hair loss continued.

little_acorn
July 11th, 2010, 04:57 PM
:grouphug: I'm sorry your going through such a big shed but I'm glad you're happy with your new length :)

jane53
July 11th, 2010, 04:59 PM
JenniferNoel, I hope you've seen a doctor. The only people I've known in 3-D life (as opposed to online) who have suffered hair loss did so either because of chemotherapy (and we assume it's not that with you!) or because of hormonal issues.

Dragon
July 12th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your shedding. So hope it stops. I am glad you are happy with your new length.

Loreley
July 12th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I'm sorry to hear you had to cut it. :grouphug: I hope the shedding will stop soon!

kristymarie87
July 12th, 2010, 04:42 AM
[quote=JenniferNoel;1164355]Well, everyone is starting to think it's linked to some minor head trauma from a tiny accident a couple months back. quote]

It could well be! I had a serious head injury and had half my head shaved (for surgery) but then i started getting a huge bald spot a month after. It seemed to get bigger and bigger and i was told the trauma had 'shocked' my hair folicles and they had 'let go' of these hairs. Its bad enough i was shaved on one side and bald at the back but i shed so much because of the stress of it all. I disguised it all (badly) wore hats etc and eventually forgot about it and now its back to normal. Its 3 years later now, but it took about a year to settle down so it is possible!

ravenreed
July 12th, 2010, 04:49 AM
I am sorry to hear that you are having such an extensive shed. There could be a medical cause. Have you had your thyroid tested lately? Are you taking any medications that might have hair loss as a side effect? I would definitely see a doctor if you have not yet done so.

FrannyG
July 12th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I know the frustration of a massive shed. The worst one I ever had was post-stress and I even had a round patch the size of a 50 cent piece fall out overnight during that shed.

The good news was that it all grew back. I also shed a lot after having my second child, but all of that hair grew back too.

I'm happy that you are content with your new length and I do hope that you've had a full checkup including a full panel work-up of your thyroid.

If it was stress or trauma induced, I'm fairly certain it will all grow back again quickly, and then you can decide what type of length you want.

I really hope that all is well with your health. That's the most important thing. :blossom:

Ranee
July 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM
I don't know how old you are, but if you are in your early twenties, it probably a hormonal thing. I had it when I was 21 and found out that a lot of women had a massive shed at that age that would stop in a couple of months.
I'm sorry this is happening to you and hope it will get better soon.

triumphator!
July 12th, 2010, 08:53 AM
No worries, there are a lot of us here who don't technically qualify as longhairs yet. Come grow with us :D

turtlelover
July 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I too am not honestly sure that I'll grow my hair much past the shoulders at this point, but I love all the hair care and nutrition things that I learn here. I, for one, hope you stick around! :)

Stormphoenix
July 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Could it be a hormonal related issue like being on or off birth control (The Pill, for example)? Because of the growth cycle of hair follicles there is approx a 3 month delayed reaction (shed) to a change in hormones (up or down). Hope this helps and hang in there! And enjoy the easier (?) care and maintenance of shoulder length hair.

Paniscus
July 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I think everyone has pretty much touched on the possible causes and concerns. I bet it may have to do with the accident as well, and probably stress that it induced.

I just wanted to send some hugs- as I've gone through some major sheds myself recently (stress related). :grouphug:

vanity_acefake
July 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Sending you lots of hugs. Hope your shedding stops soon. Glad you like your new hair length.

Juneii
July 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I don't know what to say so I am just going to give you an internet hug :) hopefully it will stop and regrow. In the meantime, go see a doctor, this might be a symptom for something worse. You are always welcome here :)

Tressie
July 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
You'd better hang right here with us! Most of us have had shedding issues at some point, or will have, so you're not alone. There's been some excellent advice posted and I concur with the medical check! Keep smiling! Hugs to you!

klcqtee
July 12th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Well, in a way you're lucky, because you can take care of your hair properly while waiting for it to thicken back up, and it'll grow out nice and healthy, unlike a lot of us (*raises hand*) who are trying to grow our hair and get rid of tons of damage, making it tough to deal with.

I'm sorry you had to cut it all off, but at least it sounds like short hair is fairly flattering on you!

ericthegreat
July 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Repeating what everyone else has said, please if you haven't already go see a doctor. :flower:

Whatever the issue is if its a hormonal imbalance or a reaction to whatever pills or other medication you might be taking or whatever it is, please get yourself checked out to find out what's wrong. I will keep you in my prayers. :flowers:

little_cherry
July 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Well, everyone is starting to think it's linked to some minor head trauma from a tiny accident a couple months back. Not sure though because it seemed to have started before that.
I did some SMT's to help the dryness, some oil treatments (scalp only, coconut and oilve oil, funny, my scalp usually loves those), and everything felt nice but the hair loss continued.
:grouphug:
Head trauma will do it. This is why I started shedding like crazy. I've been advised to do as little as possible to my hair- just wash it.

HairFaerie
July 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear this. I hope you get to the bottom of it and everything is alright.

JenniferNoel
July 12th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Well it does seem to be head trauma (I have no other symptoms other than the hair loss itself), however ironically right after the OP I took a shower, scrubbed my scalp with baby shampoo, rinsed, didn't condition, and the hair loss stopped completely, and I'm suddenly back to my normal shedding rate. I'm thinking an allergy to something that has come in contact with my scalp! But what...