PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Gray while Lowlighting Blonde

Ashera
July 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I'm growing out my waist length blonde hair after 30 years of bleaching it. I've got white streaks and gray hair which, of course, is also waist length as the bleach never deposited any color there.

My natural color is black/brown and I'm about two and half inches in to this growing out period. Looks kinda sucky. I want to lowlight the blonde so the demarcation line won't look so blatant. Is there a way to low light blonde/silver hair, but KEEP the silver part???

I know, I know. Sounds nutty, but that's me all over. I love the silvery white that's salted through my hair, and I have these lovely three inch wide white streaks at my temples, all the way to my waist. OH, I must keep those.

Am I asking for the impossible?

Ashera

HairyCarrie
July 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I have silver temple streaks as well and love them. Recently I 'enhanced' my color (there were lots of shades of reddish tones) to even it out a tad. To save the streaks I put conditioner on them and then pincurled them so they would be out of the way of the application. I did it myself so it was easy to control and I only had those two areas to worry about. Yours may be more complicated but I get what your need is... :grin:

BTW, be sure to visit the Salt and Pepper Thread (it's a big one!). There's lots of folks doing the big transition and supporting each other.

Ashera
July 11th, 2010, 06:53 PM
HairyCarrie - thank you!!!!

Conditioner and pin curls for the side white streaks. Yes. That's just the kind of advice I was looking for. Sounds like a great idea. It will keep them out of the way and also moisturize them.

Yeah, the rest of it will be a bit difficult, but, as my beautiful, talented niece will be doing this for me, I can ask her to take a few of the areas with the most gray streaks in them and do the same thing. This is SO exciting. I thought I'd lose those silvery wonders for sure.

I have been to the Renegray thread - and am actually a member. :cheese: But, this seemed like such a specific need/want that I didn't want to put it in that very long and wonderous mix.

Thanks again, HarryCarrie!!!!

Ashera