PDA

View Full Version : Reversing Gray Hair

wtchmel
July 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I'm very gray for my age, and i'm off the dye-ing kick( i don't believe its good for you) And I'm wondering if anyone has known of someone using something to reverse graying. if you search on the internet there is a huge amount of info that doesn't lead anywhere. I'm curious, has anyone known of someone that has sucessfully done this? ( of course this just may be my own pipe dream)

luluj
July 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I'm very gray for my age, and i'm off the dye-ing kick( i don't believe its good for you) And I'm wondering if anyone has known of someone using something to reverse graying. if you search on the internet there is a huge amount of info that doesn't lead anywhere. I'm curious, has anyone known of someone that has sucessfully done this? ( of course this just may be my own pipe dream)

Hello wtchmel:waving: I am certain that there is no way to reverse the "graying" process. I am a long time member of http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/ and have learned SO MUCH about gray, silver, pewter, pearl, charcoal......:phair. I suggest that you embrace your silvers!;)

sugarpixie10988
July 11th, 2010, 03:49 PM
I've heard of wheat grass being good for gray hairs, but I don't know anything about it besides that. Here's an article Google found me that may be of use to you: http://www.ehow.com/how_4454406_stop-graying-hair.html

Tiina
July 11th, 2010, 04:06 PM
There are definitely ways to hide and perhaps even reduce graying but there is no way to reverse it. With time, the cells in your body constantly renew themselves. The process we call aging is caused by the body not being able to produce new cells of the same quality. New cells are made from the old cells, thus the effects of aging pile up and cannot be reversed. Once hairfollicles are unable to produce hair with pigment as before, the hair becomes gray and remains gray. Everyone ages differently and at different speed but that is nothing to be afraid of and certainly anyone can look good at their age if they take care of themselves.

I hope I did not come off too harsh. :flower:

Dragon
July 11th, 2010, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure if this could be the case but if you are deficient in certain stuff, it can make you go gray earlier and if you replace what you are lacking in it can make your hair colour go back to normal. I have read about some one who was deficient in vitamin E and by takeing it daily it made his hair colour come back.

bumblebums
July 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Everyone ages differently and at different speed but that is nothing to be afraid of and certainly anyone can look good at their age if they take care of themselves.

I agree, and I am all for aging gracefully. Graying doesn't always have to go hand in hand with aging, though. I know a few people who grayed prematurely, in their early 30s, and they just accept it and look great.

Here (http://www.umbc.edu/blogs/changingaging/YoungGray.jpg) is my favorite picture of a woman with prematurely graying hair. I find it very inspirational.

Rini
July 11th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I started going grey at 16. I certainly was not "old" then! I'm now 37 and I'd say around 75% silver, but mixed with my ash blonde hair it does not show up much. I don't know of any way to prevent or stop the grey hairs from appearing. In my case, it's just genetics as my Mum was totally white by the time she was 40.

Good on you for not dyeing anymore :flowers: I admire your decision.

Tabihito
July 11th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Until biologists can keep telomeres on your chromosomes from shortening when they divide without causing cancer, no part of the aging process can be reversed, and that includes going grey.

You could try a henna dye if you're not willing to use chemicals, but other than that, your best bet is to just embrace the changes as they come. Grey can be absolutely gorgeous.

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2010, 09:06 PM
L'oreal or something is developing a pill that controls graying, I think. Someone posted about it on here a while back. :shrug: Said it won't be out for years though.

Other than that, I think you're out of luck.

...maybe it was maybelline?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/BeautySecrets/story?id=1325274

That's the first google article about it. There's others too, just search for them.

wtchmel
July 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hello wtchmel:waving: I am certain that there is no way to reverse the "graying" process. I am a long time member of http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/ and have learned SO MUCH about gray, silver, pewter, pearl, charcoal......:phair. I suggest that you embrace your silvers!;)

LOl, i'm actually a member of this site as well. I guess once in a while i struggle with it, and hell, i thought i'd give it a shot in the dark as to whether or not there was anything anyone knew of. My hair is very thick and healthy, just graying. I am thankful and at times i just feel younger then I look.

BlackfootHair
July 12th, 2010, 02:43 AM
I've heard that if you have grays because of stress you can up your vitamin C intake and it can reverse it...but that's for a small amount of grays that, like I said, temporarily popped up from stress.

henna4grey
July 12th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Copper deficiency is one of the causes of premature greying. I don't personally know anyone who has reversed his/her greys with copper supplements, but I've read and heard (youtube) about their success.

FullMoonTrim
February 9th, 2014, 02:59 AM

Hi I was reading an article about how a build up of hydrogen peroxide (naturally occurring in our body) causes our hair to grey. As we get older, we don't have as much of the enzyme 'catalase' to break down the peroxide. This is one of the reasons our hair turns grey. I think that with this information, we can start to find a way to prevent further greying by finding a way to reduce the peroxide on our scalp naturally. This is fairly new info! Maybe it will help this thread a bit.

Google grey hair---peroxide for articles on the subject.

furnival
February 9th, 2014, 03:39 AM
Hi I was reading an article about how a build up of hydrogen peroxide (naturally occurring in our body) causes our hair to grey. As we get older, we don't have as much of the enzyme 'catalase' to break down the peroxide. This is one of the reasons our hair turns grey. I think that with this information, we can start to find a way to prevent further greying by finding a way to reduce the peroxide on our scalp naturally. This is fairly new info! Maybe it will help this thread a bit.

Google grey hair---peroxide for articles on the subject.
This is an example of the media seizing upon a small study and blowing it up into "newsworthy" headlines- ie. "A pill to cure grey hair!"

The original study was very small (10 people) and carried out in hopes of finding a cure for the skin pigmentation disorder vitiligo. There was speculation that it might also apply to grey hair, and this is where the media came in and did their hysterical thing.

This article explains it better than me: ;)
http://m.selkirkweekendadvertiser.co.uk/news/health/behind-the-headlines/no-evidence-of-cure-to-prevent-hair-going-grey-1-2922916

Madora
February 9th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Ktani's info on using catnip to cover grey:

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html
Scroll down...info near end of article

cathair
February 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I started going grey at 16. I certainly was not "old" then! I'm now 37 and I'd say around 75% silver, but mixed with my ash blonde hair it does not show up much. I don't know of any way to prevent or stop the grey hairs from appearing. In my case, it's just genetics as my Mum was totally white by the time she was 40.

Good on you for not dyeing anymore :flowers: I admire your decision.

Me too, got my first white hair at 15. Have 3 fat pure white streaks and a loads more sprinkled in on dark hair now at 28.

I mean no offense when I say this OP, but from where I am standing when I am not yet 30 and have had white hair for many years. I am starting to find it strange and almost distributing that people in their late 40's think they are too young to have grey hair. It's only because so many people cover it up that people find it unusual. At what age do people think this should happen?

I am also pleased for you that you have decided to stop dying. If this is because of the health risks involved, not because you actually want to be grey, perhaps henna is a good option for you?

L'oreal or something is developing a pill that controls graying, I think. Someone posted about it on here a while back. :shrug: Said it won't be out for years though.

Even if the pill was out, it wouldn't help. It's one of those wonderful preventative 'medicines' that they can sell to people before they have a problem. It won't work if you take it after it has happened, it can't reverse any greying.

cathair
February 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
double post

furnival
February 9th, 2014, 10:09 AM
P.s. I wouldn't expect a reply from the OP as this thread is nearly 4 years old. :p

hairpleasegrow
February 9th, 2014, 10:32 AM
I have grays too and I am also trying not dying my hair .

I don't know if this interests you but a member passed this along to me on the "Giving up dye/bleach" thread (I'm sorry I can't remember her name but the person who created this was Nightshade) http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51646 it is about using natural products to tint your color and there is some info about blending in grays.

I haven't tried any of the treatments except the cat nip rinses, I have done the rinse 3 times I don't see a change in my grays yet but I hope over time I will :)

cathair
February 9th, 2014, 11:35 AM
P.s. I wouldn't expect a reply from the OP as this thread is nearly 4 years old. :p

Fair point! Didn't notice that.. another zombie thread :)

LaReineJaguar
February 9th, 2014, 11:46 AM
I read somewhere that sometimes grey hair can be the result of magnesium deficiency. I can't remember where I read that, but it isn't always the case.

JoeAntonio
March 5th, 2018, 07:59 AM
doctors suggest that healthy diet and lifestyle can help contribute to the reversing the gray patch in your hair
as it will help releases melanin for restoring the natural color black of your hair
you can also try anti gray hair spray from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B91MYS
it will help restore your natural haird color temporarily

lapushka
March 5th, 2018, 08:43 AM
I don't think these things work. If they did, you would have heard about it in a big way. :)

vpatt
March 5th, 2018, 02:23 PM
I have read for years that vitamin B12 can darken hair. I think it's only if you have a deficiency. I have no idea if it's true. I suspect if it is it's only for some. I did have a coworker tell me it worked for her, but I don't remember if her hair darkened or not....it was many years ago. I'm on the other side of the camp....I want something to give me that silvery white of my grandmother. I suspect I missed the boat on that.

Glitch
March 5th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I also don't think any treatment can reverse gray hair. It's not a bad thing at all though. I'm young and already have some friends and cousins with noticeable amounts of grey strands. This all tells me that a lot of it is just down to genetics, and not necessarily lifestyle. My mom is even constantly stressed and depressed but got grey hair pretty late in life. Regardless, there is definitely beauty in grey, as seen with the huge silver hair trend :) Personally, when I get grey hair at some point, I think it would be really fun to try out silver tones, and well, basically to have fun with any color!

If someone's not into that though, there are some instant, non-damaging temp solutions like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTIMnbHqf5I until the next dye session.

nycelle
March 5th, 2018, 05:13 PM
I know for me, the color isn't the issue, it's the texture.
The greys I'm getting are wirey and I absolutely hate the texture. I think the only way to change it is to add color. But I'm not grey enough yet to start coloring my hair again and can't find anything to do for them now.

Dante
March 6th, 2018, 01:35 AM
I know for me, the color isn't the issue, it's the texture.
The greys I'm getting are wirey and I absolutely hate the texture. I think the only way to change it is to add color. But I'm not grey enough yet to start coloring my hair again and can't find anything to do for them now.

So interesting- I really love my texture now I’ve let my grey come through! My hair doesn’t get oily as quickly (used to wash every second day, now do weekly), shows the waves more clearly and I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for the streaky nature of my greys (my mum developed a grey streak at the front when she first started going grey, so I love that you can see several distinct grey streaks in my hair).