PDA

View Full Version : Headrest vs bun?

blue_nant
July 11th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Those darned headrests! I'm sure they're a wonderful safety feature for most folks, but longhairs are not included. What do you do so you don't have to bend your neck the whole ride?

Typically all I've been thinking of is: A single braid and a bandanna raghead-style over my skull. The braid goes to the left of my shoulder or hanging over the headrest. (Of course once you move, it falls, but ...) Blahhhh.

What good ideas have you all come up with?

Annushka
July 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM
For my commute to/from work I'll just remove my hairtstick and let my hair down if my bun is pushing my head too forward.

But for the occasional road trip (or flight) I usually put my hair in one or two braids so I'll be more comfortable.

Jenn of Pence
July 11th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I remember seeing this thread about a month ago...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50182
I agree, doing just about anything with the hair is difficult with the car headrest! I agree with Annushka, braids seem a little more comfortable than buns.

jasper
July 11th, 2010, 10:30 AM
The other day I was driving with my hair in a braid and had it fall behind my back without noticing. I went to turn my head to check the lane behind me but couldn't because the braid was stuck.

I think a bun on top of my head would be more safe, if slightly goofy looking.

got2pals
July 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM
If I'm in the car, the headrest is usually above bun-height. I know there's some standard -- like if you're rear-ended, the back of your head should hit the headrest nearer the crown than the base of your skull. Ours tend to slide down on their own, so I adjust them several times each year. If you drive a car, maybe you can adjust the headrest up, if it's still in a good place to stop whiplash (heaven forbid). But on a bus or a train I always just flip a braid over my shoulder or ponytail. I hate those bent-and-immobile headrests on buses. I used to sit sideways on buses to avoid the crick in the neck. The last time I rode Amtrak, I definitely did not want my hair touching the back of that seat.

Dragon
July 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I dont have this problem as I usualy were my hair down. If its tied up its usualy in two braids as thats the only style I can stand wearing. I rarely go in cars anyway.

ArcticNights
July 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I have had this problem too.

Now, I make (some sort of) untidy updo on the top of my head. Or a French twist starting quite high on my backhead and secured with just a couple of amish pins. Works pretty well :)

triumphator!
July 11th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I've seriously considered taking the headrest off...:o

jane53
July 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Hmmm. I've never had this problem. Wonder why.

chipzahoy
July 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I've seriously considered taking the headrest off...:o

Same here! But then that darn safety issue comes into play.. :o

It used to be especially bad for me because I can't stand the back of my drivers seat to lean back, I have to be pushed as upright as possible to be comfortable. _| rather than _/, so whenever the hair was big it'd be really bad on my neck!

1nuitblanche
July 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Ah, yes. This is an annoying problem. However, it can be solved!! (You can even continue bunning and not worry about breaking safety standards.)

Here are my 3 solutions:
1. Bun my hair on the top of my head.
2. Make twin buns on the sides of my head.
3. Tilt the seat a little further back.

I pretty much always opt for solutions 1. and 3.

triumphator!
July 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Same here! But then that darn safety issue comes into play.. :o

It used to be especially bad for me because I can't stand the back of my drivers seat to lean back, I have to be pushed as upright as possible to be comfortable. _| rather than _/, so whenever the hair was big it'd be really bad on my neck!

Ouch, I know what you mean! Have you actually experienced neck problems?

jane53
July 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Is this a height issue?

Why can I wear my hair any way and not notice this problem?

jasper
July 11th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Probably not height, but maybe driving posture.

chipzahoy
July 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Ouch, I know what you mean! Have you actually experienced neck problems?

Not directly from the hair issue, but the hair issue exacerbated a neck injury I received from a rear-end accident at the time (in a bench seat pickup truck, no less)! So I had to adjust my seat farther back, which was its own problem because my body wasn't used to posturing itself like that. Eventually I just had to let my hair down in the car and put it back up later or not put it up at all until I was finished driving.

chipzahoy
July 11th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Is this a height issue?

Maybe.. I'm 5'3 :D

triumphator!
July 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Not directly from the hair issue, but the hair issue exacerbated a neck injury I received from a rear-end accident at the time (in a bench seat pickup truck, no less)! So I had to adjust my seat farther back, which was its own problem because my body wasn't used to posturing itself like that. Eventually I just had to let my hair down in the car and put it back up later or not put it up at all until I was finished driving.

Wow! Maybe you just need a really thick seat pad to make up the difference :)

GRU
July 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM
You're definitely not alone in this! A couple more threads:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33769

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=25498

GRU
July 11th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Is this a height issue?

Different cars have different seat designs, too. Between the way the headrest is designed, the person's height, the thickness/amount of hair, the hairstyle used, and how much the person reclines the seatback, there are a lot of different variables.

bridgetsgirl
July 11th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I just Googled 'aftermarket headrest' and although I didn't find much in the way of actual replacements, it seems some people whose headrests make their heads tilt forward have luck with flipping the headrest around. Might not be the safest option, but it could make driving more bearable for some of us.

I typically wear a low-profile bun (easy at my length, anyhow) or if I wear a sock bun, I tilt the seat back a teensy bit so my head is resting evenly on the bun. At longer lengths, I'm considering leaving a few minutes earlier with my hair in a ponytail or braid and bunning it before I get out of the car. (When I'm dressed for work, my hair MUST be up!)

Themyst
July 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM
It's a big problem for me, too. And I cannot easily take my hair up and down to arrange it for a headrest. I figure I will probably suffer in an accident with my neck having to be bent the way it is. Seems counterproductive. :hmm:

jane53
July 11th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Different cars have different seat designs, too. Between the way the headrest is designed, the person's height, the thickness/amount of hair, the hairstyle used, and how much the person reclines the seatback, there are a lot of different variables.

I've driven lots of different cars with lots of different head rests.

I don't recline seats: I'm an upright driver! I have lots and lots of hair and it's medium thick.

I'm tall.

My main problem is with hair sticks hitting the door frame as I get in the car or hitting the ceiling (interior roof?) of the car.

blue_nant
July 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I don't want to leave my hair down because it's 95 degrees. (whine) But it is in a braid.
I'm 5'6" but my legs are quite short, so I'm assuming my "height" is butt to shoulders. But still.
No the headrest is not adjustable. It's part of the seat. *eyeroll* But I think a sawzall might be able to deal with it. Hee.
I do have the seat at / instead of more upright.
Oh, and it's a good idea, but a bun on top makes my whole scalp just OW! Hates it and gives me a headache. With butt length hair, I honestly have not tried the two-bun thing, lol. I kindof don't want to; my most frequent commute is to work.

Well, I guess I'm at the best I can get already. I guess I'm just whiny because it's hot out and therefore in the truck. I'll put the bun back up when I arrive. That's the simplest thing to do.

I didn't used to notice this, either, until my neck began bothering me. So a. my neck posture was bad all that time and I didn't notice or b. I think it's only been my last 2 trucks that annoyed me/my neck/my hair. Maybe it's the seats/headrests nowadays. I'm not sure.

Youall have such good ideas!

prbysasha
July 13th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I always wanted a donut shaped head rest that way I could slide a ponytail through it. But when driving since I am usually Bunned I recline my seat some and keep my bun higher on my head. Although for this summer I think I am going to be a braider and get some head scarfs

CrisDee
July 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I always had this problem when my hair was long (and I'm sure will again). I "solved" it by just letting my hair down in the car, then putting it back up when I arrived at my destination. Using an EZ Comb to contain a French twist was the only style I could wear that didn't push my head forward if I was driving - but I'd take even that out if I was a passenger.

hockeygirl256
July 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I lean the car seat back or put the bun on top of my head. Or if its really annoying I just take my hair down for the trip.

papillion
July 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
The headrests in our car are shaped like squares, with a large-ish hole in the centre. Which was fine for a while, until I moved my head back just a little too sharply, and my hairstick caught the edge of the square and snapped in two. I was really annoyed as it was my favourite stick too. (Thankfully it was one of a pair, and careful use of a nail file on the broken stick has resulted in a substantially shorter but still usable stick.)

Now, I tend to take my hair down whenever I get in the car. There's a little groove in the side of the glovebox which is just the right size to slide a hairstick into, so it stays nice and safe. I tuck my hair around the headrest and over the back of the seat, but it still gets in the way.

We've got a long trip coming up soon, and I'm currently trying to think of ways to keep my hair out of the way and comfortable for the journey.

little_acorn
July 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The buns I tend to do daily (nautilus, braided) are not much of a problem with a headrest. But if I'm going on a long car journey I tend to braid my hair....

Carolyn
July 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm tall and long waisted. When I'm driving, I recline my seat a little. I don't have much of a problem. I drive a 2000 Ford Expedition or a '93 Pontiac Grand Prix. I tested the Expedition for bun issues when we were shopping for a vehicle. The Grand Prix was one of the son's cars in high school and we kept it. I never had an issue with it. Any future vehicles will be tested while wearing a bun. When I'm in the passenger seat, I use a dog bone shaped pillow to fill in behind my neck.

Anje
July 13th, 2010, 03:57 PM
The headrest in my Civic is an evil bun-grabber. (Seriously, there are a lot of complaints about them on car forums, too. They stick way too far forward and seem likely to give people reverse-whiplash!) Check out the passenger seat for an idea! (http://www.edmunds.com/flipper/do/MediaNav/year=2008/make=honda/model=civic/firstNav=Gallery/photoId=20279087)

I have no suggestions, but if someone knows where to get some flatter replacements, I'd be thrilled. Whenever I look for aftermarket headrests, all I can ever find are ones with TV screens in them.

neon-dream
July 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Aghh! I hate this too.
I just let my hair down and pull it over my shoulders.

rhosyn_du
July 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I have this problem, too. I've actually started to get aches from it now that I have a longer commute to and from work and was thinking this morning on my drive that I might have to cave and cut my hair back to BSL. :(

Does anyone have suggestions for very flat in back, professional looking styles that will work for hip-length hair? Leaving it down while driving isn't really an option when I need to have it up and neat-looking when I get to the office.

VanillaTresses
July 13th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I only have short hair now and yet the headrests still manage to bug the heck out of me when I am wearing a ponytail. So far my only solution has been to take the pony out during the ride (especially if it is a long one) and put it back in when the drive is over. Which is kind of a pain in the butt. The same thing happens on plane rides and at the dentist. What I try and do is take the fact that I will be up against one of these seats into consideration when I am calculating what hairstyle to do for that day. :rolleyes:

TrudieCat
July 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM
The headrest in my Civic is an evil bun-grabber. (Seriously, there are a lot of complaints about them on car forums, too. They stick way too far forward and seem likely to give people reverse-whiplash!) Check out the passenger seat for an idea! (http://www.edmunds.com/flipper/do/MediaNav/year=2008/make=honda/model=civic/firstNav=Gallery/photoId=20279087)

I have this car and I swear the slouch position this seat forces me into, even with my hair down, is ruining my posture.

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Best solution I can think of would be to get one of those stretchy seatcovers, and put a pillow (or foam, cut to fit) underneath it so the cover holds the pillow(foam) into place. This would move your back forward in the seat, allowing you to keep your neck at a normal angle.

Years ago I had borrowed my dad's car for a couple days, and his seat didn't adjust anymore (the bottom went back and forth, but the recline adjustment was broken). Since I'm shorter than a kindergartener, I couldn't even reach the ignition, let alone see out the windshield! So I took some old pillows and an old blanket and some big safety pins and made my own version of a seatcover/pillow set-up.

By having the pillows lashed down (with the blanket and pins), it kept them up higher on the seatback (BSL area). If I'd just stuck a pillow there without tying it up higher, my butt would have been pushed forward on the seat -- this way, my butt was in the regular position, and the seatback was raised up to where I could lean back on it and still see where I was going.

(for the record, being short sucks!)

Lazy Loop
June 21st, 2020, 09:03 AM
Well, it’s 2020 (my car A 2017). Seems that the new safety standard for driver head restraint is this terrible, awkward, head jutting forward angle and no way to remove it on many cars:mad::steam. That alone is a real pain while driving, but I have found there are driving neck pillow made of memory foam:confused:. Seems harmless, might be more comfortable. But they do no care about my bun, so I guess I’ll either have to have “driving hair” then put bun in upon arrival, or a higher bun. It’s a compromise, but I don’t want to modify the headrest at the risk of neck injury in rear-end collision. I would LOVE if there was a cut out for a bun in the head restraint!!!! Neck pillow that attaches to the head restraint are on Amazon.

longsword
June 21st, 2020, 04:37 PM
Oh hate this so much, those head things that stick forward in such a wierd angle. I was able to fuss with mine in my car to set it flat so I can have decent posture. Theres no way id be able to drive the 6 1/2 hours to my parents with it sticking forward like that. Mom's car has it but for some reason it doesnt bother her. she is taller than me though. I rode as a passenger and I had to sit slouched down so my head was under the restraint because hers was so far forward it was hurting my neck.

lapushka
June 21st, 2020, 05:43 PM
Mine on the passenger's side is pushed down far enough that my bun sticks out over it. :) I make my bun high up!

enting
June 22nd, 2020, 07:23 AM
I don't think I have ever been in a car in a seat with a headrest and felt comfortable against it. In general if my hair's up I need to sit on something with a back lower than my bun, I don't know how a headrest would work at all.
Maybe the whole forward jutting thing is a ploy to get drivers to sit upright and alert all the time. That might be all right for five minutes but longer drives sound like they'd be torture.