PDA

View Full Version : Just trimmed my own hair for the first time!

Laurenji
July 10th, 2010, 05:44 PM
So...lately I've been feeling like my hair was scraggly on the ends, since it's been growing pretty much untouched since a rather terrible trim job by my mother in October or so. It's been growing nicely, but the hemline was all ragged and chunky, so I haven't been wearing it down much.

Anyways, I've been thinking about getting it trimmed. I really didn't want to spend $18 for a trim at my regular salon, and I don't really trust the $5 haircut place around the corner. I tried to convince my DH to do it (I figured it was only fair payback since I cut his hair every month, and trimming half an inch off of my hair can't be that much more difficult than what I do with the clippers on his), but he was unsure of his skills. So I looked up Feye's self-trim method and did it myself!

I went from a blunt hemline to a more v-shape, which I like the look of better. Here's how it turned out (smaller version in my siggy):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3123&pictureid=76438

(Note: my hair looks super-red in the sunlight for some reason. I guess it might be leftover henna from the henna gloss I did last summer. Usually my hair is about the same color as the shirt I'm wearing, maybe a little lighter.)

Here's a pic from a few months ago for reference:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3123&pictureid=51287

Anyways, mostly I'm just excited because it worked, and because even though I trimmed about an inch off, it's still way longer than the last time I took a picture of it. It's growing! Yay! And now I know I don't have to go to a salon when I just want a trim!

Tonks
July 10th, 2010, 05:51 PM
It looks so lovely! The hemline is gorgeous, you did a fantastic job :)

Jenna0728
July 10th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I love Faye's method! I used to only have it trim by my mom about once a year, until I found that thread. It looks so much nicer now that I can do it myself every few months.

Yours is quite pretty, the red looks great!

Speckla
July 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
You did a very good job.

Miasen
July 10th, 2010, 05:56 PM
That looks great! :D I might have to check out that self-trim thing for myself too.

Laurenji
July 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Yours is quite pretty, the red looks great!

Thanks...I wish I could get it that color all the time. I've been thinking about doing another henna gloss, but haven't decided one way or the other yet.

That looks great! :D I might have to check out that self-trim thing for myself too.

I know there's several links around here someplace, but here's the link if you want it: http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

She has instructions for V-shaped, U-shaped, and blunt. They're pretty clear, and have pictures.

Dragon
July 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
You have done a great job :) Your hemling looks good.

MissManda
July 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I am very happy for you! I think the V-shape is very flattering on your hair.

I will be trimming my hair using Feye's method very soon. I've been a bit intimidated by it because it will be my first time, but I find your results to be very inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

spidermom
July 10th, 2010, 06:22 PM
You did a very good job; pretty hair.

Pumpkin
July 10th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Great job! I love Feye's Method!! :)

sugarpixie10988
July 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Nice! You're much braver than I'll ever be :D, looks great.

Cimorene
July 10th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Wow, I wish I'd read up on Feye's Method before I chopped a few inches off the bottom of my hair a couple months ago. I did the whole sliding-a-scrunchie-to-the-end-of-your-hair thing, but ended up sliding it crooked, then cutting it crooked because I tried cutting too much at once and the scissors kept slipping... :doh: The hair on the sides ended up being longer than the hair in the back, like an inverse U-shape. :nono: :o

Yours looks awesome, though! :thumbsup:

Loreley
July 11th, 2010, 04:27 AM
It looks fantastic! :)

Carina
July 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I did trim my own hair this week too.It was my first time and I am very happy with the results.:cheese:.

Sunny_side_up
July 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Looks fab, your hair is very healthy looking and you've had great growth:)

countryhopper
July 11th, 2010, 08:12 AM
It turned out beautifully!

I love Feye's method, too! I used it to trim the uneven layers that were the result of growing out my A-line bob. I plan to eventually trim it into a U hemline.

Sammich
July 11th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Woah, your hair is really fast growing. What a nice cut! It's a lovely shallow V. :D
Woo for Feye's method!

Laurenji
July 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Woah, your hair is really fast growing.

Well...actually I just realized that the "picture from a few months ago" is from early September of last year, or about 10 months ago...I didn't realize it'd been so long. So I think my growth is somewhere around average, actually. I wish my hair grew that fast...

Cailie
July 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I really like your hemline ! Beautiful hair too !

GoddesJourney
July 11th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Whatever, it still looks great. Cutting your own hair well is empowering. Congratulations.