PDA

View Full Version : 1c F ii/iii

Gwendolene
July 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Does anyone else have 1c F ii/iii hair? Here is a place to talk about what you love and dislike about it!

I love the waves and the thickness, but right now, I am having manageability issues. I would like to use a comb only, but my hair is so thick that combing never gets the wavy tangles out. Brushing is the only thing that seems to work, but that is causing way too many splits (At least, I think the spits are coming from all the brushing.). Does anyone else have this problem?

Still, I don't think I would want another hair type.

MissManda
July 10th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I am a 1b/1c (maybe even just 1c, I need to do an official hairtyping) and I like it for the most part. I really enjoy my thickness, shine, and silky-softness. I also love the not-quite-straight-or-wavy texture that gives a nice amount of volume. It is fairly easy for me to manage, which is always a plus.

I have the same exact problem with combs as you do. My hair is much too thick for a comb to get through and it just rips out my hair. I can only detangle with a comb whilst my hair is slathered in conditioner in the shower. I much prefer brushes because they do a better job at detangling my hair, I just have to go slowly and be very gentle. Also, my hair does not look good when it is just combed because brushing makes it look more shapely and smooth.

I have not noticed any actual damage caused by brushes, however. My hair seems to be less damaged when I brush instead of combing. I remember I tried it use a pick in my hair and while a pick is okay for detangling because of the longer tines, my hai was much more tangly and piece-y.

My hair has also become less tangly since I started using CO and the hybrid wash (C-COW-C) methods. They both leave my hair silky and shiny, but they leave enough weight in my hair so that it is not flyaway.

Sometimes I get a little frustrated with how easily my hair goes straight or how easily it can transform into a gigantic fuzzball (ah, summer heat), but I don't think I would trade my hair type for anything. ^.^

triumphator!
July 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I think I can relate to this thread, it's like having a lot of hair that isn't curly, straight, or cooperative. : )

Capybara
July 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I have about 1c (although that is debatable ... :p) iii hair that is on the fine side of M. It's slippery.

I like it. It is really easy to make my hair super straight if I want to - combing usually does the trick - or curly - I don't need any product and bun waves, braid waves, roller curls, rag curls, etc. will stay in my hair until I wash it, even when done on completely dry hair. I like my hair's versatility :)

I do agree that it is difficult to comb thick hair. However, a while ago I purchased a shower comb with widely spaced teeth (maybe 1/2 a cm between them), and the teeth are about an inch and a half long. If I part my hair and comb it in sections, this works really well! I've given up all brushes except my BBB :crush:

MissManda
July 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I have about 1c (although that is debatable ... :p) iii hair that is on the fine side of M. It's slippery.

I like it. It is really easy to make my hair super straight if I want to - combing usually does the trick - or curly - I don't need any product and bun waves, braid waves, roller curls, rag curls, etc. will stay in my hair until I wash it, even when done on completely dry hair. I like my hair's versatility :)

I do agree that it is difficult to comb thick hair. However, a while ago I purchased a shower comb with widely spaced teeth (maybe 1/2 a cm between them), and the teeth are about an inch and a half long. If I part my hair and comb it in sections, this works really well! I've given up all brushes except my BBB :crush:

I've been meaning to replace my current wide-tooth comb for a while now and the one you're describing sounds wonderful. I will have to go find something similar. I find picks are okay because of the long tines, but they are too close together for my liking, so maybe a shower comb will help.

triumphator!
July 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Damn, I'm jealous. Something about my hair refuses to curl using heat styling. It will literally come off of a curling iron completely straight. Luckily, I have given up heat styling anyway.

Would that be a hair texture thing?

MissManda
July 10th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Damn, I'm jealous. Something about my hair refuses to curl using heat styling. It will literally come off of a curling iron completely straight. Luckily, I have given up heat styling anyway.

I know I have to be very careful with how I curl my hair. Due to the thickness and porosity (more like a lack thereof), my hair takes a very long time to dry. My hair can be almost completely dry (feels dry, but cool to the touch) and I can curl it with braids/buns, but it will still be too damp in the morning. I am trying to find the right balance so the dampness does not cause my curls waves to fall out.

When I do successfully curl my hair, it will stay in for days and fall out only a little bit over time. When I heat-styled, my hair took to curls extremely well.

I think everyone's hair is different and reacts to curling differently. There might be something going on that I can't explain, however.

triumphator!
July 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I know I have to be very careful with how I curl my hair. Due to the thickness and porosity (more like a lack thereof), my hair takes a very long time to dry. My hair can be almost completely dry (feels dry, but cool to the touch) and I can curl it with braids/buns, but it will still be too damp in the morning. I am trying to find the right balance so the dampness does not cause my curls waves to fall out.

Oh, mine does this too! I washed my hair at 10am this morning and it still has that cool/damp feeling, and its 8pm here...

MissManda
July 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Oh, mine does this too! I washed my hair at 10am this morning and it still has that cool/damp feeling, and its 8pm here...

Yeah, it kind of drives me crazy sometimes because I get so impatient. I don't mind it as much right now because it is so hot. The wet hair helps me stay cool while it doesn't take quite as long to dry.

triumphator!
July 10th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, it kind of drives me crazy sometimes because I get so impatient. I don't mind it as much right now because it is so hot. The wet hair helps me stay cool while it doesn't take quite as long to dry.

This is true. I would even get the damp/cool feeling for hours even after extensive blow drying and straightening.

MissManda
July 10th, 2010, 06:43 PM
This is true. I would even get the damp/cool feeling for hours even after extensive blow drying and straightening.

I never straightened my hair when I used heat because I thought I had type 1a hair because of the cones I used and because I did not know how to properly care for my hair. But yes, my hair had to be blow-dried into submission and the hairdressers used to thin/layer my hair so they wouldn't have to spend so long blow-drying it.

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who sometimes gets flat hair on top and poofy hair on the length?

HikerTrash
July 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I think my hair is 1b, but it definitely tends to be flat on top and poofy on the length. Makes it look thick when it isn't.

I never have trouble with combing wet hair, maybe because it is fine and thin. I can't comb it when it is dry, however, unless I want a comb stuck in my hair.

triumphator!
July 10th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who sometimes gets flat hair on top and poofy hair on the length?

I used to get this a lot when I was younger and I had layers cut into my length-- it would turn into cockerspaniel poof below my ears and to the tips.

melikai
July 10th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I'm 1c/2a, but most days am closer to 1c. I use a brush and different combs. My favourite comb for detangling is actually a fine-toothed Kent comb! For some reason it is much easier for me with this than with a really wide-toothed one.

My "routine" is as follows:
-CWC or SC, as needed (usually once a week)
-after hair has been wrapped in a towel for 10 minutes or so, comb front part into place with fine-toothed comb (I have cowlicks and need to do this)
-when hair is almost completely dry, detangle with fine-toothed comb and wide-toothed comb (wooden Body Shop one), as needed
Done!

I use my brush for scalp massages and to distribute sebum to the length, about once a week.

I like my hairtype, but sometimes wish it would be one or the other, rather than this inbetween thing. I haven't figured out what exactly makes my waves come out more than not, other than extra moisture and no combing at all.

Gwendolene
July 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
I haven't figured out what exactly makes my waves come out more than not, other than extra moisture and no combing at all.

Different conditioners certainly seem to have a different affect on my waves, as does length, of course. The longer it gets, the more the weight seems to straighten it out. It was very wavy at shoulder length and higher.

Gwendolene
July 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM

Have you tried heat-free magnetic rollers? I have had very good luck with those.

Aurantia
July 11th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Does anyone else have 1c F ii/iii hair? Here is a place to talk about what you love and dislike about it!

I love the waves and the thickness, but right now, I am having manageability issues. I would like to use a comb only, but my hair is so thick that combing never gets the wavy tangles out. Brushing is the only thing that seems to work, but that is causing way too many splits (At least, I think the spits are coming from all the brushing.). Does anyone else have this problem?

Still, I don't think I would want another hair type.

Gwendolene (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=29065), thank you for starting this thread! 1c - 2a fine, thick hair does seem to have its own special properties; I haven't come across many hair twins irl and I've learned so much about my hair since coming to LHC simply by finding others with my kind of hair.

I wonder if you've ever tried going without a comb or brush for a week? I personally thought it would be impossible before LHC, but I haven't used either in over a month and believe it or not my hair is now easier to detangle using my hands than it ever was using a comb or brush.

This development makes me super happy because I have always been in deep lust with my hair, so any excuse to dive in knuckle deep is worth trying at least once. ;)

I'm really curious about hair color, too, and how that relates to our particular brand of hair -- I'm brunette with golden and red tones. What about you guys? :)

MissManda
July 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Gwendolene (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=29065), thank you for starting this thread! 1c - 2a fine, thick hair does seem to have its own special properties; I haven't come across many hair twins irl and I've learned so much about my hair since coming to LHC simply by finding others with my kind of hair.

I wonder if you've ever tried going without a comb or brush for a week? I personally thought it would be impossible before LHC, but I haven't used either in over a month and believe it or not my hair is now easier to detangle using my hands than it ever was using a comb or brush.

This development makes me super happy because I have always been in deep lust with my hair, so any excuse to dive in knuckle deep is worth trying at least once. ;)

I'm really curious about hair color, too, and how that relates to our particular brand of hair -- I'm brunette with golden and red tones. What about you guys? :)

I am very curious as to how you went about without a comb or brush!

My natural hair color is a medium brown with red and golden tones as well. :)

Aurantia
July 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I am very curious as to how you went about without a comb or brush!

My natural hair color is a medium brown with red and golden tones as well. :)

MissManda, you know I wish I would have included that process in my hair journal. I'm guessing that I started out with freshly brushed hair and then set about detangling using my fingers, starting at the ends. Then kept my hair up unless finger combing or preening.

Nowadays, I start from the ends and kind of roll my fingers back and forth from pinky to forefinger and it gets rid of most tangles. If I hit a snag or a nasty tangle I pull the individual strands sideways out of the knot until it completely unravels.

I know that the above sounds crazy lol -- I would have thought so a month ago -- but it works beautifully.

Preening helps a lot.

MissManda
July 11th, 2010, 01:48 AM
I'm worried if I just stuck to fingercombing, my hair would look piece-y and/or stringy. I know if I use combs only my hair doesn't look nearly as nice as when I use a brush. But then again, my hair looks pretty decent when I fingercomb when if first finishes drying. Do you find that your waves stay in longer this way?

I might try just fingercombing sometime. The summer weather is so hot here that I wear my hair up all the time anyway, so no one might notice...

I actually don't mind fine-toothed combs... except for the fact that most of them are plastic and my hair eats them. If I could find one made out of wood or bone, I wouldn't mind trying that because wide-tooth combs don't work for me unless I'm detangling with conditioner.

Kristin
July 11th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I'm in this club. I love my hair, though. Since I started to CO almost exclusively a few weeks ago, my hair has been much less poofy (even with the summer heat). I also really love Nightblooming's Vegan Panacea Salve. It smooths down the fly-aways and really moisturizes.

I like combs and brushes, but I'm picky about them. I just got a Bakelite comb and I love it. It is VERY wide-toothed. I love, love, love my wooden paddle brush because the tines feel so nice on my scalp and it somehow calms my hair. I also like my boar bristle brush for distributing oils through the length after application.

I do have issues with flatness occasionally- especially recently as my hair is getting heavier with length. I find that if I put my hair in a high bun at night, it has lots of volume and soft waves in the morning.

The one complaint I have is drying time. It stinks. Especially in the winter.

Sammich
July 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I think I can relate to this thread, it's like having a lot of hair that isn't curly, straight, or cooperative. : )

Exactly, my hair type is very very similar to this. I enjoy my hair so far for its versatility, but I dislike it due to how unpredictable it can be. :p It can be so silky soft on some days, but so rough and icky on others!
Combs can work through my hair just fine, hmm, only the wide toothed ones though(The wooden body shop one to be more specific), but I don't think anyone would use smaller toothed combs on their hair! ;)

Capybara
July 11th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I've been meaning to replace my current wide-tooth comb for a while now and the one you're describing sounds wonderful. I will have to go find something similar. I find picks are okay because of the long tines, but they are too close together for my liking, so maybe a shower comb will help.

Ooh, glad I could be of some help! :) Mine is just a cheap plastic one, but it works wonderfully for my hair! The spacing of the teeth is just perfect.

Gwendolene
July 12th, 2010, 03:13 PM

I'm glad I started it, too! So nice to talk to all of you with a similar hair type! I think I will try the finger combing this week and see how it goes.

I am also a brunette with golden and red tones. It's starting to darken up, though, since I reached my mid-twenties.

Aurantia
July 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I'm worried if I just stuck to fingercombing, my hair would look piece-y and/or stringy. I know if I use combs only my hair doesn't look nearly as nice as when I use a brush. But then again, my hair looks pretty decent when I fingercomb when if first finishes drying.

That would seem to be the predictable result, wouldn't it? But thankfully, this is not the case -- thorough fingercombing actually leaves my hair both more tangle-free than fine combing and much silkier than brushing. After a few days you'll start to really see the difference.

Do you find that your waves stay in longer this way?

Absolutely. At the same time, I've been playing with WO for about a month and have followed up with a few CO washes. So the deeper, longer lasting waves could be a product of the WO, the fingercombing or the preening.

Gwendolene, good luck! I hope it works out well for you. :)

Marjolein
July 13th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I only have ii thickness, but can I join in?

My natural hair color is a medium to dark blond, but I've been a henna head for quite some time now.

I also get the flat on top, poof from the ears down hair. One more reason for letting it grow, let the weight pull it down.

I have no problems with tangles. Just use a semi-wide toothed comb and a tangle teezer.

If bunned my hair will not dry. If loose however, it can dry quite quickly. Only the scalp hair needs a little longer sometimes.

kristymarie87
July 13th, 2010, 07:51 AM

I can relate to that. Always flat on top and down to my ears...they tend to be able to poke through.....as soon as its past the tip of my ears i look like ive been pulled through a hedge backwards!

Unfortunately i havent been able to give up heat completely because of this. I tried for a while but was fed up of feeling ugly....so now i tie it wack all ween and use straightener once on a weekend, which i think is good for me!

triumphator!
July 13th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Everyone: I have been getting amazing results with a similar hairtype from a tangle teezer. My hair really seems to respond to it. : D

MissManda
July 13th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Everyone: I have been getting amazing results with a similar hairtype from a tangle teezer. My hair really seems to respond to it. : D

Ah, I will get a Tangle Teezer someday. I've been thinking about getting one for months and months, but I've been too chicken because my hair has the tendency to eat most plastic combs/brushes. I've heard so many wonderful things about them from others and I am glad it is working out for you!

Marjolein
July 14th, 2010, 03:46 AM
I like the tangle teezer too, but honestly not more than my brush with wooden pins I used before it. I, with my ii hair, even have difficulty getting all my hair with one brush stroke when using the tangle teeser. I usually have to comb both the top layer and the bottom.

kristymarie87
July 14th, 2010, 04:32 AM
I like the tangle teezer too, but honestly not more than my brush with wooden pins I used before it. I, with my ii hair, even have difficulty getting all my hair with one brush stroke when using the tangle teeser. I usually have to comb both the top layer and the bottom.

I have a nice pink one and i agree, you cant just brush all you hair at once. It seems to come the top layer nicely but cant get underneath, which means i section!

Dana
July 14th, 2010, 07:00 PM
My hair isn't an exact match, but I still want a membership card. :)

I have baby-fine hair, but lots of it, and have a hard time getting barrettes to stay in. What do others use to put their hair up?

triumphator!
July 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I have a nice pink one and i agree, you cant just brush all you hair at once. It seems to come the top layer nicely but cant get underneath, which means i section!

I definitely have to do the top of my head with the bristles facing down and the underneath with the bristles facing up. I love it though :D

Beatrice
July 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Though my hair is mostly medium to coarse, I have a lot of fine, wavy strands around my face. I'm also a fellow flat-topper. My length on the second day looks like my scalp on the first day: smooth and shiny. But by the second day, my scalp is oily and limp. The top and length never match up. On the upside, an occasional blow dry gives me some crazy volume. I plan to start scalp washing soon, and maybe that will help.

I don't have any problem with curls holding, but I can't get my hair to straighten (with a blow drier that is--though I tried a flat iron once, and even that didn't work). The strands are so thick, they poof out and harden when they're heated. They then proceed to drink up moisture from the air and soften back into random flips and waves. The pattern is so erratic, I don't really care to work with it. I'd rather create extra curl with a diffuser or some rollers, or brush out the wave as much as I can.

MissManda
July 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM

I have baby-fine hair, but lots of it, and have a hard time getting barrettes to stay in. What do others use to put their hair up?

Ah yes, I know all about that dilemma. It won't matter how much hair I have in a barrette and it can be tight, but my hair can be so smooth and silky that it still slides out.

Using bobby pins in an X-shaped pattern helps them stay. I also like Flexi-8s for putting my hair up. Flexi-8s hold like a rock for me, unless I'm using them in a ponytail because then I'll have the barrette problem mentioned above. I love using them as braid-enders, though.

I don't have any good hairsticks, forks, or Ficcares yet, but I hope to get some in the future.

MissManda
July 14th, 2010, 11:28 PM
--

Sorry for the double-post. I'm having computer issues at the moment.

Marjolein
July 15th, 2010, 02:15 AM

My hair laughs at barrettes, including flexi-8's. For me only hairsticks work. Ketylo's in particular.

Cupofmilk
July 15th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Having remeasured my ponytail it is 12.8+ cmso iii. I don't know if myhair is 1c or 2a. Do I need to wash it without product and airdry to check?
Anyway I have been able to sit on my hair so classic ish or tb+ last year. It is an utter nightmare. Everytime I wear it down it ended up in a tangled mess. It is much better now it is only waist ish length. Definately got worse in my case as it got longer! I am curreblty washing only once a week and the rest of the time CO.

MissManda
July 15th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Having remeasured my ponytail it is 12.8+ cmso iii. I don't know if myhair is 1c or 2a. Do I need to wash it without product and airdry to check?
Anyway I have been able to sit on my hair so classic ish or tb+ last year. It is an utter nightmare. Everytime I wear it down it ended up in a tangled mess. It is much better now it is only waist ish length. Definately got worse in my case as it got longer! I am curreblty washing only once a week and the rest of the time CO.

To do a hairtyping, you're supposed to just clarify with shampoo with no conditioner. No products, no manipulation. You've got it right! :)

Gwendolene
July 18th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Do you all measure your hair wet or dry? The measurement in my profile is dry, since that is what it is most of the time... or should be, when I don't get caught in the rain...

MissManda
July 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Gah, double post... again. The server hasn't been terribly happy lately!

MissManda
July 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Do you all measure your hair wet or dry? The measurement in my profile is dry, since that is what it is most of the time... or should be, when I don't get caught in the rain...

I measure my hair when it is dry, otherwise my ponytail circumference would be in the odds of .75-1" bigger than when I measure dry.

Dana
November 21st, 2010, 11:06 AM
I was trying to transition to WO, but using a BBB seemed to just break my hair instead. I think my hair might be too fine for WO?

How do you guys protect your hair at night and during the day? I have been putting my hair above my pillow and using some fabric scrunchies to keep it in a rough ponytail shape. But I wake up and my scalp hair is all matted and tangled. Maybe I should avoid the scrunchies?

I like to keep my hair down the first hour or two after my shower so that it can mostly dry. But I have a milk case of Trich, so I would prefer to put it up (out of temptation's way). Does anyone find that hairsticks, clips, elastics are more or less damaging to our fine hair?

Gwendolene
November 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I was trying to transition to WO, but using a BBB seemed to just break my hair instead. I think my hair might be too fine for WO?

How do you guys protect your hair at night and during the day? I have been putting my hair above my pillow and using some fabric scrunchies to keep it in a rough ponytail shape. But I wake up and my scalp hair is all matted and tangled. Maybe I should avoid the scrunchies?

I like to keep my hair down the first hour or two after my shower so that it can mostly dry. But I have a milk case of Trich, so I would prefer to put it up (out of temptation's way). Does anyone find that hairsticks, clips, elastics are more or less damaging to our fine hair?

My hair takes at least 3 hours to dry, so I leave it down as well. And yes, hair elastics reek havoc on my hair, as do any hairstyles involving twisting. I usually braid my hair at night and put it above my pillow.

Ermine
May 4th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Hmm. I really like that I seldom ever have to worry about frizz, and my hair is soft and silky with little effort (just basic shampoo and conditioner on the ends). I don't like how it shows any grease really easily so I have to wash it every day, and hair clips and bobby pins don't stay in too well. And it's hard to get much volume out of it. But I still wouldn't trade my hair for anyone else's... I don't think.

MonaLisa
May 4th, 2011, 04:16 AM
This is exactly my type :)

I've figured out that if I use cones my hair is flat and almost completely straigth but silky and not tangly.

Cone free is much much waves and volume :)
Think I like cone free better after all.

Combing and brushing is much of a problem, getting sooo much breakage. Anyone has advice?
I tend to just skip it as much as possible :)

charalito
May 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I too can relate!
All my life I thought I was a 1a because of the cones and now am something between 1b and 1c. No cones also has helped my hairstyling because even ponytails would slip with cones and now I can use almost anything (those barrettes are still difficult)