PDA

View Full Version : Combing hair while wet?

Cinnamoon
July 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM
So, I'm still pretty new at serious hair care. I've learned that I shouldn't style my hair while wet, which makes sense - but what about brushing/combing my hair while wet? Is that OK, or is that something that I shouldn't be doing? I can see how it might possibly damage it, but I'm not sure. I hope I'm not asking something that's been asked over and over again before! Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

ibleedlipstick
July 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I'm fairly new as well, but personally, I have a very wide tooth comb that I keep in the bathroom, and once I have my hair conditioned really well, I will slowly start at the base, and comb/detangle my hair, stopping if I feel any resistance.

jane53
July 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Some people here swear by combs, but they tear up my hair.

I don't do ANYTHING with my hair when it's completely wet. If I wash it before bed, I just braid it wet without combing or brushing. By morning it's almost dry and I can brush through with no snags or tangles. If I wash in the morning, I give it an hour and then brush with a natural bristle brush.

Like I said, lots of people here swear by combs, but my hair begs to disagree and would be a ragged mess if I combed it.

Cinnamoon
July 10th, 2010, 01:14 PM
...once I have my hair conditioned really well, I will slowly start at the base, and comb/detangle my hair, stopping if I feel any resistance.
So do you comb it while still in the shower? Or do you use a leave in conditioner?

ibleedlipstick
July 10th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I comb it while I'm in the shower, but I will also comb it after the shower with all the conditioner rinsed out. I just try to make sure that my hair is slick/soft enough to not be tangly. The main thing I watch for is hair stress- as long as you aren't pulling on it, it should be okay.

shwankie
July 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I, on the other hand, have to comb my hair when it's wet or it's a tangled mess regardless of using oil or conditioner on it. A lot is going to depend on your hair type. I'm fairly fine and thin, and if my hair gets tangled when it's wet, I almost have to cut it out. People with thicker hair seem to have a different response to coming wet.

I am, of course, very gentle and comb from the bottom up.

chipzahoy
July 10th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I comb my hair when wet outside of the shower. But that is because most of my hair is pretty undamaged. I've got an area near my bangs that I bleached almost white last year because I thought it'd be cool, and then after repeated dye-overs to cover up the bleach streak, that chunk of hair is super damaged. So if I try to comb or detangle that area while it's wet, it acts very elastic-y and snaps badly.

So I guess it just depends on the type/condition of the hair while it's wet to decide if it's good to comb it.

slythwolf
July 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
If you're very careful, it shouldn't be a problem. Basically the thing is that hair is weaker when it's wet. So you have to be more careful combing or brushing it when wet than you do when it's dry.

BunnyBee
July 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I usually detangle my hair when it's wet (and mostly leave it alone when dry). I use a very wide tooth seamless comb and go verrry slowly. It's not nessecarily damaging if you're careful and make sure your comb is smooth. I wouldn't brush wet hair though.
My hair is quite easy to detangle wet when I use Maxtrix Biolage conditioner.. not so much with other condishes..

redneckprincess
July 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Some people (including myself) style wet hair.. I try not to "brush" wet hair but since I strated LHC I do use a wide tooth comb on my wet hair and sometimes a smaller comb to make it look smoother after.
Welcome to LHC!! Looking forward to seeing some progress from you @-@

triumphator!
July 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Ive found that my hair tangles easily when wet, and I can't let it dry in tangles. So I used a plastic wide toothed comb in the shower after conditioning and then a wooden wide toothed comb when I let it airdry. I've also found that If I use my fingers to gently untangle my hair when it is wet, I really only use the comb to get it to lay correctly for drying. I get big, loose tangles, so it is easier to gently untangle them.

If you get those horrible small snarls, I'm not sure what the best gameplan for those are when wet.

squiggyflop
July 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM
i comb before a shower when the hair is dry to detangle and again in the shower to get the conditioner really worked in.. i use a mebco shower detangler for this and i removed the seams from the comb myself.. i often comb with a hide tooth comb to aid in the drying process..

i am thinking that most of the people who say combs cause damage are people who cant figure out how to use them properly.. so yes if you dont have good comb skills it can cause a load of damage.. but once you get the skills down there should be no problems..

i still cant use a fine tooth comb correctly.. so i dont try..

wait ive gotton off topic.. oh yeah combing wet with a wide tooth seamless comb isnt going to cause any real damage until your hair gets longer than tailbone i think

Cinnamoon
July 10th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Basically the thing is that hair is weaker when it's wet. So you have to be more careful combing or brushing it when wet than you do when it's dry.
Huh... That's surprising. Why is that? I would have thought that the water would make it stronger... I don't know why I think that, though! Why does the water make it weaker?

Cinnamoon
July 10th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ive found that my hair tangles easily when wet, and I can't let it dry in tangles.

I've found the same thing. If it dries tangled, it comes out all funny, and doesn't lie right. I'll have to try combing it in the shower - it seems like that might work.

People who comb in the shower: What do you do for drying your hair right afterwards? If I wrap it up in a towel, it tends to tangle - how do you handle that so that it doesn't drip everywhere?

spidermom
July 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Huh... That's surprising. Why is that? I would have thought that the water would make it stronger... I don't know why I think that, though! Why does the water make it weaker?

Water temporarily breaks down the chemical bonds in your hair, so if you do much with it while it's wet, you can stretch it out. The more you stretch it, the weaker it gets.

I give my hair a good combing, then brushing before I wash it. Then I comb conditioner through in the shower and try not to mess with my hair again until it dries. As far as I know, it is perfectly o.k. to comb your hair while it's wet, but don't brush it. Brushing is much harder on your hair than combing (unless you're jane53, that is).

curlylocks85
July 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM
So, I'm still pretty new at serious hair care. I've learned that I shouldn't style my hair while wet, which makes sense - but what about brushing/combing my hair while wet? Is that OK, or is that something that I shouldn't be doing? I can see how it might possibly damage it, but I'm not sure. I hope I'm not asking something that's been asked over and over again before! Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I can only tell you my experience. I have curly hair and it is easier to comb my hair when wet. Yes, there is the possibility of damage, but that is true for combing my hair dry as well. And yes, sometimes I style my hair when wet because it makes it easier because of my hair type.

The key is to work with your hair and find out what it and you can tolerate. It is different for everyone. What works for curly hair may not be the case for wavy or straight hair.

Hope this helps.

missmandy
July 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I always comb when wet because if I don't, my tangles dry, and then combing them out when dry would cause even more damage. AND my hair would look frizzy. But to each their own I suppose.

spidermom
July 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I always comb when wet because if I don't, my tangles dry, and then combing them out when dry would cause even more damage. AND my hair would look frizzy. But to each their own I suppose.

That's my hair exactly. My hair retains the scrunched-up look of drying in a tangle.

MsBubbles
July 10th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I'm fairly fine and thin, and if my hair gets tangled when it's wet, I almost have to cut it out. People with thicker hair seem to have a different response to coming wet.

Good point about fine/thin hair (and good typo too! LOL ;)). Yes, anything uncombed for me and left to dry would definitely create much worse problems later. So combing wet hair it is, for me, albeit very gently.

Cinnamoon
July 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
So, in the end, it varies? Different things work for different people?

Thank you all for your responses - they've been very helpful! I never thought of combing while actually in the shower before.

Long_hair_guy
July 10th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I comb my hair when its wet but I do it slower then a snail. When I get to a tangle I just use my hands.

I never use my brush any more. It has pretty much sits next to my mirror for the last year or so.

Nera
July 10th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Most curlies detangle their hair when wet.
I can not remove my tangles when dry.
I soak my hair in oil and conditioner, and start brushing at the ends, slowly and gently. There is no other way for me.

In my case brushing my hair when dry would be a nightmare, there is no wrong or right, you just have to find out what is least damaging on your hair! :)

Hope this helps

teela1978
July 10th, 2010, 05:04 PM
So, in the end, it varies? Different things work for different people?

I think that's pretty much the LHC motto :)

I'm a wet comber myself.

triumphator!
July 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM
People who comb in the shower: What do you do for drying your hair right afterwards? If I wrap it up in a towel, it tends to tangle - how do you handle that so that it doesn't drip everywhere?

Make sure you use a wide tooth comb in the shower. I have a Burts Bees one that works really well, it came with some of their shampoo/conditioner packs.

I let mine tangle up again in a towel twisted over my head. I probably shouldnt do this, I'll be honest. The best way to keep hair from tangling after showering is to cover your shoulders with a towel and lay your wet hair on it, letting it drip dry. I don't have enough time for that, unfortunately.

Jenna0728
July 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Thank you all for your responses - they've been very helpful! I never thought of combing while actually in the shower before.

I never did before joining LHC, either! Be careful of the comb you use tho, the cheap plastic ones aren't always the best. The best thing I ever bought for my hair was a wide toothed horn comb (bison, I think). It stays oiled from the oil I put in my hair after my showers and works wonderful! :)

Dragon
July 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I comb the conditioner throw my hair with a plastic wide toothed comb befor rinsing it out. And then after I comb some leave in conditioner throw it. Then just let it dry. If I dont comb it when wet, its to hard to brush when dry and would probaly cause more damage. Its hard to find a good wide tooth comb as alot of them are no good on my hair. I Have 3 spares encase 1 ever brakes because its hard to get that one.

chargersfan
July 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I must comb while wet (very wet), otherwise it would dry in one big tangled mass and I would never get through it. As soon as I'm out of the shower, I comb w/ a wide-toothed comb, carefully. It sometimes takes a while, depending on how much leave-in I put in. If I don't put it up while wet, I usually finger-comb it throughout the day until it's dry, just to keep it from tangling into tangles I'll never get out w/out a huge fight.

Crackaleen
July 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
I'm another wet comber. I too have read that it can damage your hair to do that, but if I don't my hair will dry in dread-like clump things and then it looks nasty when it's combed out later. I do go about it very gently, starting at the ends and working my way up, and I've found the wetter my hair is, the better. I use a wide-toothed plastic comb that I keep just for combing wet hair since it's best not to expose wood combs to water (which is primarily what I use to comb my hair).

Cimorene
July 10th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Naturally, YMMV with any of this advice, and I think the best advice probably comes from people with a similar hair type as yours. That being said, here's what I do: I have a wide-toothed, smooth-ended (i.e., no seams or rough spots) plastic shower comb that I got at Sally's Beauty Supply. After slathering conditioner on the length of my hair, I use the comb to work it through, starting with the bottom section of hair, then going a little higher and combing down, etc. until I've combed through it all. I also use the comb while rinsing the conditioner out. After gently squeezing the excess water from my hair I braid it (poorly...), then take it down and comb it again (usually with the same comb...I'm a cheapo) when it dries or when the braid starts looking really crappy, whichever happens first.

Like several others have said, if I don't comb my hair while it's wet, it will end up frizzy and tangled by the time it dries and just be that much harder to handle without snapping a lot of hairs. So for me, it's a trade-off. Yes, hair is weaker when it's wet, but if I'm gentle and comb it in the shower, I end up breaking/losing fewer hairs than I do if I wait for it to dry before combing.

I think the important thing is to figure out which way (wet vs. dry combing) results in easier handling and less damage for your particular hair. And whichever way turns out best for you, gentleness is always key -- you're combing your hair, not threshing wheat! :D

ooo
July 11th, 2010, 07:12 AM
As a curly I detangle my hair when it's wet. Sometimes I remeber to brush my hair with a tangle teezer before washing it. That helps me too. The brushing does not feel to good :(

Sammich
July 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I always detangle my hair when it's wet, I don't notice any sort of damage at all, it's much easier to detangle when it's wet for me, there's no tangles at all! ;)

Pierre
July 11th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I comb my hair while in the shower, with water running down the part I'm combing. I start at the top, and when I meet resistance, I separate it with my fingers. This usually ends with a mass of shed hairs at the bottom, which I then stick on the shower wall and wind onto the rat when it's dry.

WilloTheWisp
July 11th, 2010, 09:30 AM
I never comb my hair wet or even dry. Only brush when its dry. I don't get tangles at all so I don't feel the need to comb :D but after reading the comments I thought could combing while wet give smoother hair? I'm sure I will try it as soon as I can find the perfect comb for this.

By the way, someone said "it's best not to expose wood combs to water", why?

spidermom
July 11th, 2010, 10:26 AM

It can warp and split the wood.

triumphator!
July 11th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Speaking of this, do you think the Body Shop wooden combs are treated with anything, or that they are raw wood? My dad suggested that he could lacquer mine so that I could use it on wet hair, but I told him it wasn't that big a deal....

WilloTheWisp
July 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Okay, that makes sense why not to use them for wet hair, damages for the hair too.

Bluegrass Babe
July 11th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Style hair when wet? Of course we do! We braid it (makes ripple waves), bun it (makes big loose waves), roll into sock buns (makes big loose curls), or use various styles of curlers.

Some fancier buns (wrapped bun, chinese bun, braided chinese bun, and rose bun come immediately to mind) are much easier to do when wet because they have several separate sections that go in different directions.

jane53
July 11th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I never comb my hair wet or even dry. Only brush when its dry. I don't get tangles at all so I don't feel the need to comb :D but after reading the comments I thought could combing while wet give smoother hair? I'm sure I will try it as soon as I can find the perfect comb for this.

I never comb my hair, wet or dry, WilloTheWisp. In my experience, combing gives me rougher hair because it breaks my hair. Brushing doesn't break it. I try not to do anything to it when it's wet.