PDA

View Full Version : Very very postpartum hair?

GlennaGirl
May 15th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Calling all moms.

My littlest will be two years old next month. I got a pretty severe postpartum shed that began very late for me--he was about 5-6 months old, I think, when it started. I think it lasted maybe three months.

After that the shedding seemed to slow down to normal and maybe a year later I felt this was it, my hair was "back to normal" in thickness. But lately when I've been twisting it for buns, the buns just feel bigger. And seeing my siggie pic, it just looks thicker.

Can it really take two years for thickness to return? I would frankly be thrilled if my hair is getting thicker. I haven't measured the pony but it might be useless as I can't remember the measurement I used way back when I started here. I just know that whatever the measurement was, it ended up as ii.

Thanks for any help.

OhioLisa
May 15th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Well, you also have to think that if you didn't stop shedding til he was around 9 months old, those shed hairs are just now at about 15 months growth. If your growth rate is typical, those hairs are now at about 7-8 inches long, which makes sense that your buns are feeling bigger. (That just sounds funny.) Seriously, though, it makes sense. Hoorah for thickness. :D

willowcandra
May 15th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Depends how long your hair is. Mine will take years to get thicker right to the bottom. And I have been shedding alot again lately (suspected reaction to a bc pill.)

GlennaGirl
May 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks, ladies. :blossom: My hair is slightly above BSL. I cut about an inch and a half off it last month.

Eden Iris
May 15th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Reading this thread with interest -- my youngest is approaching 17 months, and I feel like my hair is still on a hormonal roller coaster. I gained about 1/2 inch in circumference between December and March, but now I've got a seasonal (I hope) shed going on, and I'm afraid all that gain will turn out to be temporary.

Irishred
May 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
My hair is starting to fell like it is thickening again too. My youngest is 17 months. My next is 3-1/2 years old.

long story as short as I can...

I cut my near classic length to a shoulder length bob while I was pregnant with my 3yo. I found the boards after she was born and started caring for my hair. Shed when she was 1ish (long term b-feeding). Had just started to feel thick again with next pregnancy but the ends still felt thinner. I had a milder shed a few months ago and have a HUGE halo.

Anyway, I hope that my thickness will eventually catch up as my thin ends get irritating when I look at my braid. My nape is getting thicker :) Another reason I am considering maintaining a length soon.

There is hope, it just takes time and patience.

Nyght
May 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM
My DD was 2 in March and I am shocked at how much thicker my hair is now. Enjoy your newfound thickness!

GlennaGirl
May 15th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Eden, I don't think your seasonal shed will be anywhere near as much as your PP shed...I'm sure you'll keep the majority of your thickness. My PP sheds have sure been heavier than any seasonal shedding I've ever had! I know your fears, though. Trust me, I do...

Irishred, yup, it is frustrating to see a taper...your hair is long so it's taking a while but I'm thrilled to hear you're seeing some thickening up...that's quicker than I saw mine start, congratulations!

Nyght, my little one will be two next month. Your princess looks adorable in the makeup. :D Ha ha, that's darling, that picture is a keeper...did she do that herself?

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I'm going through a nice seasonal shed right now, but my sister, who had extremely thin hair before getting preggerz now has medium thickness, it took her several years after the birth though (which I'm blaming on her tendency to color back then).

ETA: Her hair is thicker now than before she got pregnant, just a glimpse of hope. :p

GlennaGirl
May 16th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Oh wow...cool...thanks, Nynaeve.

Nynaeve
May 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Oh wow...cool...thanks, Nynaeve.

You're welcome. And I hope it is a bit of inspiration to those going through the shock of "OMG all my hair is leaving me now that the baby is out!"

:D

Altocumulus
May 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM
The evidence of my postpartum (and post nursing) sheds can still be seen 3.5 years later - I have a big drop in thickness right above waist. The last 8 inches or so of my braid is much thinner than the rest. I'm hoping the taper will continue to move down.

Glenna Girl, your braid looks beautiful - so sleek!

Babyfine
May 16th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I have two children, born in my late 30's just 19 months apart.
I had THE very best hair during both pg's, thicker, grew faster, even didn't seem to get damaged as easily!
I also nursed both boys, the first for 9 months, the second for almost 18 months.
I started shedding after the first one at 4 months- big time scary shed- but then I was PG again and thicker hair, again.
After # 2, it was probably about 5 months before the shed- but even my hairdresser noticed it-yikes- so I chopped it and layered it into a short mom cut-
But that's another post-
My hormones seemed to take a few years to normalize since I had a miscarriage two years after my last son was born.
Hope this helps- My hair got thinner in my temple area but did come back- thank goodness! I just wish I could have the hair I had during my pregnancies!
The way I look at it- some of that shed was "borrowed hair" anyway- because my hair was NEVER as nice during my younger years or since as when I was pregnant- so some of the hair I lost was just hair that would have fallen out but didn't due to pregancy hormones.
I think that is the case with most women. YOur hair looks wonderful- so enjoy your new-found thickness!

GlennaGirl
May 16th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thank you so much for the compliment, ((Alto)).

Babyfine, I too loved my hair while I was pregnant, with the stalled/stopped shedding phase. Thank you for your input and ((I'm sorry)) about your miscarriage.