PDA

View Full Version : Trying To Go Sulfate Free. A Few Questions. :)

Aerith
July 9th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Hey again everyone,

For a while now I've been trying to find shampoos in stores that are completely sulfate free. I thought I was finally successful today in Shaw's in the wholefoods isle, but I soon found out that even though it said it was "SLS Free" it still had some ingredients with "sulfonate" at the ends of them.

-Is sulfonate the same as SLS or more gentle?
-What other ingredients should I keep an eye out for that I shouldn't be using in my hair (because they are drying etc)?
-What brands of sulfate free shampoo do you all use? Where can I get them?
- I saw a bunch of bars that looked like Shampoo bars in that isle, but it wasn't specified. It didn't say it was soap either. There were a bunch of ingredients that were just oils. One of the brands was "South of France". (After further investigation, it looks like it was soap bars after all.) Does it matter what hairtype you have to use shampoo bars? Are poo bars better for your hair and where can I find them?

Thanks everyone. :) Your advice has helped me out so much so far even though I ask a bunch of silly questions.

Edit: One of the shampoos with sulfonate listed but claimed it was SLS free was called "Kiss My Face." Has anybody tried that and is it any good?

May
July 9th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I live in Canada and I use a brand called "Live Free" ;the shampoo has no SLS's and the conditioner has no 'cones. So far I love them. I use the one that is moisturizing called "Fresh Water". I know they're available at Walmart and possibly Shoppers Drug Mart.

ETA: I just saw that you live in the US so I'm not sure if it's available there. I think it's a Canadian Brand...

Aerith
July 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Never heard of it, but I'll look for it and see if they sell it here. Thanks :)

littleflowerr
July 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Hmm, i use the L'oreal sulphate free shampoo and it claims to be 100% salt free and the conditioner that comes with it has no cones, all in all, the result of my hair= shiny, smells like rosemary and mint, and after i take my hair down from a bun... i get the pretty smooth silky curls :)

melikai
July 9th, 2010, 06:57 PM
As far as I can tell, Sodium Olefin Sulfonate and other sulfonates are different surfactants from sulfates - more gentle, foams well, and is biodegradable.

I would be on the lookout for products that claim to be sulfate-free, but contain things like sodium coco sulfate. For some reason many companies are allowed to get away with that in the US in particular.

Flaxen
July 9th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Also, check out the Sulfate Free Shampoo List (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34009). There are lots of choices and suppliers there. :smile:

Dragon
July 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Not sure of any but if you dont have much luck, the health food shop may sell some.

Aerith
July 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Also, check out the Sulfate Free Shampoo List (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34009). There are lots of choices and suppliers there. :smile:

Thanks! Forgot about this list.

Not sure of any but if you dont have much luck, the health food shop may sell some.

Unfortunately I don't have any health food shops nearby though.

Bethie
July 10th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I picked up some SLS Free shampoo at Kroger in the Natural section of the store. Hugo's Everyday Naturals. I'm going to try it tonight, so I'm not sure how it will work, but it is something else to try.

Oh and the Condish, is also cone free and smells wonderful.

ademtce
July 10th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I used John Masters & Sudzz Fx
i am absolutely in love with Sudzz fx but ive only ever been able to find it online, and its a bit expensive but good lord it works so well & last forever!

john masters is available at Whole Foods

Roseate
July 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Whole Foods is a good source, even their store brand shampoo is sulfate-free. There are lots of different surfactants out there- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate seem to be the strongest, most drying/cleansing ones. The 'sulfonates' are more gentle.

I haven't used KMF shampoo; used their conditioners, which weren't quite moisturizing enough for me, but it's a reputable brand. I'm using this shampoo (http://www.drugstore.com/qxp93510_333181_sespider_1_1/natures_gate_organics/organic_fruit_blends_shampoo_color_protecting_pers immon_and_rose_geranium.htm) by Nature's Gate Organics right now, and liking it.

DiablitaNoir
July 10th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I use Giovanni, which I found at Target, of all places. It's sulfate-free but does have "sulfonates" in it. Still, it's better than using the mainstream sulfate-laced garbage that's out there. I also love Giovanni because it's cruelty-free, too.

Aerith
July 11th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks guys. :) Looks like I can't escape from sulfates completely, since sulfonates are still in most shampoos but I have a few other brands to look out for now. :D

CurlyGirlCa
July 11th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I used John Masters & Sudzz Fx
i am absolutely in love with Sudzz fx but ive only ever been able to find it online, and its a bit expensive but good lord it works so well & last forever!

2nd on the Sudzz fx - I'm on my 3rd liter of Cashmere shampoo and 2nd liter of Moxee Conditioner. Been using 2-3 years and really like. I also use the Nyrvana Clarifying Shampoo every once in a while.

Aerith
July 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
2nd on the Sudzz fx - I'm on my 3rd liter of Cashmere shampoo and 2nd liter of Moxee Conditioner. Been using 2-3 years and really like. I also use the Nyrvana Clarifying Shampoo every once in a while.

Thanks, I'll have to try it then. :)