PDA

View Full Version : Photographing Hair

Tangles
May 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Sorry: I looked for previous threads on this but couldn't find any.

Does anyone have instructions for taking photos of your hair (back view)? I need to "record" my current length and also want to put up a siggy pic. Thanks so much. Whenever I try to do this I end up getting only the bottom 1/8th of my hair, lol.

OhioLisa
May 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM
A lot of people here either use a mirror or a camera with a timer.

tiny_teesha
May 15th, 2008, 02:19 AM
if you dont have a friend, timer or mirror you can aim the camera at your head and just before you take the shot look away. But that only works if you are shorter then APL/BSL ish.
Or hold the camera above your head and keep lowering your hands even angling the camera down.
These take photos at odd angles, your best best is a timer!! :) Or a friend.. :P

harley mama
May 15th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Yup, I use a tripod and the timer to do my back of head shots.
I never could get the mirror thing to work for me!

KnightsLady
May 15th, 2008, 06:32 AM
I use a webcam. One that is attached to the computer by a cord, not built in.

Magdalene
May 15th, 2008, 07:24 AM
An understanding hubby helps, too :)

soleluna
May 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM
i tried the twisting the head technique.. it worked! I'll post pictures as soon as I upload them ;)

Jean Genie
May 15th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I have a husband to take the pictures. I tell him that I take pictures of the back of my head so I can document how long my hair is getting. Since he likes the fact that I'm growing my hair out, he doesn't seem to think this is too strange :D

Saranne772
May 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Well I have a camera with a timer and a window still (rather awkward heights but jars of honey and stacks of books and running into position works ;))

Periwinkle
May 15th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I use a camera with a timer.

atlantaz3
May 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I tried the mirror which did not work very well. DH though it was strange but still took the pic for me. It's the same way when I ask him to measure - I only ask that about once a month. I get "the look"!

LeaM07
May 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I use a timer also and put the camera on my bathroom counter. I have to kneel on the floor to get in the right position, but it works. :) It's near a glass block window, which usually gives me enough light to turn off the flash and still get a reasonably sharp picture (but not so much that I get odd shadows or overexposure).

To make sure the autofocus works correctly, I usually sit in position in front of the camera (except facing the camera), click the button halfway to focus, then snap the pic. I then have 10 seconds to turn around (back to the camera) and get ready for the shot. If I snap at the blank wall and jump in the pic at the last second, it doesn't focus correctly and turns out blurry (because the light meter has used the wall instead of my head to determine the proper exposure).

Tangles
May 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm retarded; using the self timer for this purpose didn't occur to me. I got a picture, it's on the "Type Me" post. Sorry for this rather wasteful thread.

Essassani
May 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
It wasn't wasteful! You gained clarity :) I'll have to go look at your hair :D

Love, Ronald

MadPirateBippy
May 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I hold my camera out at arms length, look strait at the lens, then turn my head away from it to get mine.

I also just take a loooooot of pictures and delete most of them off my camera.

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Well I have a camera with a timer and a window still (rather awkward heights but jars of honey and stacks of books and running into position works ;))

This is basically what I do but with other random objects, and usually balanced on a pillow, or somewhere in the kitchen or the bathroom. If I lived with DBF, I'd make him do it. :D

I hold my camera out at arms length, look strait at the lens, then turn my head away from it to get mine.

I also just take a loooooot of pictures and delete most of them off my camera.

Hmmm.... I've never tried that, maybe I should sometime to see how diff it turns out.

Starr
May 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
A camera timer and a ledge of some sort. . . pretty effective.

Morag
May 15th, 2008, 10:18 PM
My camera is a small automatic handheld with no timer. I stand with my back to the mirror, point my camera over my shoulder, and hold a hand mirror behind the camera with my other hand so that I can see what's showing in the viewfinder. I rigged a light at the top of the mirror to keep the automatic flash from going off. I am getting some reasonable pictures, although not the quality I could get with better equipment and/or a roomie to take pictures for me. I'll definitely have to get a friend involved if my hair grows another six inches, LOL!

Nynaeve
May 15th, 2008, 10:58 PM
My camera is a small automatic handheld with no timer. I stand with my back to the mirror, point my camera over my shoulder, and hold a hand mirror behind the camera with my other hand so that I can see what's showing in the viewfinder. I rigged a light at the top of the mirror to keep the automatic flash from going off. I am getting some reasonable pictures, although not the quality I could get with better equipment and/or a roomie to take pictures for me. I'll definitely have to get a friend involved if my hair grows another six inches, LOL!

Haha. I like the light rigging idea. :D

Tap Dancer
May 16th, 2008, 04:53 AM
I stand with my back to a mirror, hold the camera over my shoulder so it's pointing at the mirror, and click! (Make sure the flash is off.)