PDA

View Full Version : Making curls with tin foil

chopandchange
July 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I found this video (http://www.handbag.com/video/home-video/special) (I can't post a direct link, so if you want to watch it, just choose the video called "how to create curls with tin foil" from the list on the right)

I am not quite sure what to think!

The end look he creates is absolutely CRAZY!

Her hair went POUF!

What do you all think?

*Aoife*
July 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM
My internet security won't let me watch it, but the first thing I thought when I read the title was "is she serious? Tinfoil? In hair?"

Tinfoil can have sharp jaggidy edges! I would never put that in my hair!

triumphator!
July 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
I found this video (http://www.handbag.com/video/home-video/special) (I can't post a direct link, so if you want to watch it, just choose the video called "how to create curls with tin foil" from the list on the right)

I am not quite sure what to think!

The end look he creates is absolutely CRAZY!

Her hair went POUF!

What do you all think?

Hmm that link took me to a promotional video for the movie Inception... let me try it again.

melrose1985
July 9th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Click in the HAIR link...

That's seriously neat. The curls would be to tight and small for me but it's a great idea and her curls look natural.

sunshine-locks
July 9th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Thats amazing, when i have some free time to myself someday, nd lots of tin foil, I'll give it a go and maybe post some pictures with the result :)

Tiina
July 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Cool. I always hated those minirollers, foil seems much easier to get hair around.

The part of "get it as hot as you can take" scares me. I can take heat along the length (even if I do it only on special occasions) but that close to the skin, and in foil, sounds like a possible scalpburn.

chopandchange
July 9th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I suppose if you wanted bigger curls you could just do bigger sections. The sections he did were tiny.

With regards to the tin foil not being hair friendly, well, I'm sure that's probably true! Not to mention the heat as well.

I know it's not an LHC-friendly video, but the end result was just so WEIRD that I wanted to share it with you all!

Dreams_in_Pink
July 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Eh, i don't think tin foil is a wise choice when we have rags and socks :rolleyes:

Loreley
July 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
The result is absolutely gorgeous! It looks natural. :)

alwayssmiling
July 9th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Loved the results! But could it be damaging with all that heat?

Jenw777
July 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM
She looks like a poodle! It would have been pretty had he not "frizzed" it up.

Neat idea, but not for me.

lapushka
July 9th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Great idea! Rollers give me problems; you need perm papers to have the ends come out neatly, seems you can easily remedy that just by using tin foil. It's a lot easier to sleep on too.

Just because he used heat doesn't mean you have to.

chipzahoy
July 9th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I was NOT expecting such a dramatic result! I'd probably try it just once but it'd probably scare everybody:D

Jorchet
July 9th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Wooooooooooooooow! That looks really good, doesn't it? I was trying to curl my mom's hair with rags last night, but her hair kind of short so they strands would slip out of the fabric while trying to roll them in. Maybe the tin foil would actually work better?

Anyway, I have the direct link to the video, btw. How to create curls with tin foil (http://www.handbag.com/hair/hair-video/special?bcpid=87735949001&bclid=85700673001&bctid=49963689001)

physicschick
July 9th, 2010, 08:08 PM
That was my thinking as well. (Except for the part about how you would never put that in your hair... I have put tin foil in my hair in the past, and it was damaging.)

atlantaz3
July 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I think poodle! Having that much hair volume would drive me crazy.

Didn't see the other poodle comment until after my post - gmta.

Rose J.
July 9th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Wow, that is really curly! I wonder what her hair is like is naturally...I think a lot of people's hair wouldn't hold that curl for long.

brista
July 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Woah! I actually really like it. I don't think I'd try it or do it very often if it even turned out like that on my hair, but I think the change is so dramatic and people would probably think it's a wig so it would be neat for a costume. A friend of mine has really long hair. It's around waist length, but she's also almost 6' so it's really long! It's pretty much pin straight but once she used this really scary professional-looking super curling stick thing and her hair came out a lot like that video. It was *so* different that I probably would have believed it was a wig if I didn't know better.

apynip
July 9th, 2010, 09:25 PM
he just did rag curls but with tin foil so it would heat...

:/

i do like teh end result though. My friend did rag curls on me before and they turned out like that but a frizzy ratty mess cause she pulled them out instead of rolled them.

i had a fro when i brushed them out later too. XD

paperwhite
July 9th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Huh, that was interesting. I liked the curls pre-frizz out stage better than the end result. I wonder how well that method would work on longer/thicker hair...I guess you could adjust the size and thickness of the hair sections and foils to suit your hair. Methinks I'll test this one out on my friend before attempting it on my own head :)

Peter
July 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I think it looks pretty awesome.

RachelRain
July 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM
this was interesting. I've seen tinfoil used for frosting (is that what it's called, when you dye the roots of your hair lighter than the ends?) but not for curling. that was kind of cool.

countryhopper
July 9th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Wow! I really like the bouncy curls! I think I'll stick to sleeping in sock curls, although it would be fun to do my whole head with thin strips of cloth for the same tiny ringlets.

By the way, did anyone else watch his other videos? He did another one that I though was going to turn out nice in the beginning (although he was using a curling iron), but from there he backcombed her whole head and then broke up the curls and pinned it to the side. I did,'t like the end result. :(

GRU
July 10th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Okay, as someone with ACTUAL poodle hair, I feel qualified to call at least partial BS on this.

Check out the before and after pictures:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/foil1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/foil2.jpg

Where is her curl shrinkage? Why is her hair LONGER after being curled than when it was straight???

Check out my own signature picture. When my hair is wet, it goes down to my butt-crack, but it's barely at waist when curly.

Curls shorten your hair's appearance.

So I have to call BS on this video -- it's either a wig or extensions. I'm not discounting the fact that you could create curls this way, but the end result is NOT created solely with the original head of hair, some tin foil, and a blowdryer.

Cheeks1206
July 10th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I kind of love it! As a PP mentioned, I also think the curls look pretty natural. My opinion may be a little biased, my hair isn't that curly, but I have big curly hair and I love big curly hair on others.

soobie
July 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM

(pictures snipped)

Where is her curl shrinkage? Why is her hair LONGER after being curled than when it was straight???

So I have to call BS on this video -- it's either a wig or extensions. I'm not discounting the fact that you could create curls this way, but the end result is NOT created solely with the original head of hair, some tin foil, and a blowdryer.

That was my thought exactly. There's no way her hair "before" turned into that hair "after".

Rose J.
July 10th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Okay, as someone with ACTUAL poodle hair, I feel qualified to call at least partial BS on this.

Check out my own signature picture. When my hair is wet, it goes down to my butt-crack, but it's barely at waist when curly.

Ah, good point! I knew something seemed strange, I was just too stupid to figure out what. :)

GRU
July 10th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Ah, good point! I knew something seemed strange, I was just too stupid to figure out what. :)

You mean, besides the fact that the poor girl looked like she was trying to prevent aliens from stealing her thoughts by applying tin foil all over her head??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lundmir
July 10th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I noticed that too, her hair is shorter in the beggining. I would not try this, pincurls work great for me already. No need for heat!

teela1978
July 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I think it'd be noisy to sleep on... but they have the advantage of being able to use the foil to make the ends neat... and it seems like they'd stay a lot better than rag curls (which always end up flopping around on me). I'd try it if I had an afternoon with nothing to do :shrug:

rachelily
July 10th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting that! It looked great. I am sure you could just let your hair air-dry and it would have the same results. The tin foil is a nice idea for the tighter curls - socks are too thick.

Thanks for sharing!

VitaR86
July 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
My internet security won't let me watch it, but the first thing I thought when I read the title was "is she serious? Tinfoil? In hair?"

The sharp edges can be folded in. That's usually what is done when foils are used for highlights. Watch any "how to foil" vid on youtube and you'll see them fold the edge in. If its a good tut, they'll even tell you to do it.

Oksana
July 11th, 2010, 03:51 AM

Exactly my thought, my hair is arm pit length when straight, yet if i do a tight rag curl like the tin foil curl, my hair is sitting on my shoulders!

Merlin
July 11th, 2010, 04:47 AM
You mean, besides the fact that the poor girl looked like she was trying to prevent aliens from stealing her thoughts by applying tin foil all over her head??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Hey Scully! I've found this great hair video, just what you need!

"**** off Mulder, I'm the cutest heroine in paranoia televison (well, until they make 11th hour in about 15 years), I don't need to look like a poodle"

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Wow, it looks great. I wish I could get my hair to look like that, sometimes.

Also, since it's pretty close to my natural texture, I'm a little bit insulted by some of the comments here, including the beginning. Oh well--I suppose everyone has their opinion.

...but yeah, the length thing is a bit odd...

Edit again: Actually, look around 1:00-1:05 or so. It looks like she might have another layer of hair behind where we think her hair cuts off. It looks like she might be APL-BSL in the back, which could account for some of the shrinkage. If not, it's definitely extensions.

Merlin
July 11th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I'm not arguing that it looks good - Mrs M once did long damp hair + setting lotion + two fairly tight french braids left in overnight which produced a similar effect which looked equally good. Though the downside was that people were meeting her hair before they were within comforatble speaking distance!

GRU
July 11th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Also, since it's pretty close to my natural texture, I'm a little bit insulted by some of the comments here, including the beginning. Oh well--I suppose everyone has their opinion.

IMO, the current "anti-poofy-poodle mentality" was introduced by and is perpetuated by the haircare industry.

Back in the 80s/90s when Big Hair was THE hair to have, everyone was spending big bucks to get perms, plus buying curling irons, crimping irons, diffuser hairdryers (they didn't have an attachment back then, you had to buy an entirely separate device to get the diffuser effect), mousse / gel / hairspray, voluminizing S&Cs, yada yada yada.

Once they saturated the market with their big-hair products, all of a sudden big and curly hair is verboten. Now everyone's spending big bucks on straightening/flat irons, heat protectant products, high-powered blowfryers with the little "concentrator" attachment, sleek-and-straight S&Cs, relaxers/keratin straightening treatments, and shine serums (to cover up the fact that the hair has been made to look like dull dry straw because of the previous items).

If the internet had existed in its current form back in the 80s and these pictures had been posted, 98% of the folks would have been saying, "OMG -- WANT!!!!!!" :rolleyes:

Though the downside was that people were meeting her hair before they were within comforatble speaking distance!

Yep, that's my life in a nutshell, right there! :lol:

lapushka
July 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I think the curls are *amazing*, though I'd have preferred he not pull them apart that much and maybe he could have used the right styling products as well (moisture!).

I had a perm done about a year and a half ago and what happened? The hair stylist knew zilch about how to dry curly hair without pouf and frizz even though she'd diffused it. She stuffed it full of mouse and then it was like she was trying to create a frizzy pouf. OMG bad 80's flash-back!

I wish stylists setting curls would get a clue about how to treat curly hair. Why is it that the women getting curls or the women born with curls always end up being ridiculed for having frizzy hair or big hair when it's just the way it's styled that's a problem. There are plenty of women here on LHC with beautiful curls and little to no frizz and with a wealth of knowledge on how to treat curly hair. It's not the curl itself, it's the fingers that form it.

BelleBot
July 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I reckon this is certainly not as harsh on hair as using a curling iron. Personally I think the end result is fantastic, not too frizzy, but so much bounce and volume *jealous*.

As for the length, do you actually see how long her longest hairs are? I don't think you do, just some of her mid length layers. So I don't think it is BS. I certainly know a friend who achieved a similar result with very tight rag curls, and only lost a couple of inches in length though it wasn't quite so impressive.

Chishio_Kohana
July 11th, 2010, 12:56 PM
That looks absolutely gorgeous. I think I am going to try to do this sometime this week :)
Do you think it'd be too damaging with the heat and foil, though?

apynip
July 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I tried this yesterday.
results....
pin curl/rag curl curls that only stayed till about 4PM (were waves by this time) when set in at around 11AM.

AND my ends are slightly crispy even though i used a heat protectant and only heated it for 5 minutes on a low heat.

my thoughts are that i prefer rag curls or pin curls personally...

if you try these yes they turn out big and pretty but so does pincurls and rag curls and teh later two cause alot less damage.
;)