View Full Version : Hemline Questions for curlies??

09robiha
July 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Do you have or prefer a straight across (blunt) hemline and do you have layers?? I usually get my hair dresser to just cut straigh across the bottom as I dont want to end up growing even more dodgy layers out....but do you find your hair to be better with layers. I am kinda long enough to be past the whole triangle head situation.

What do you think curlies and wurlies?? Straight? V- shaped?? U-shaped?? Layered??

bumblebums
July 9th, 2010, 06:34 AM
U-shaped seems to work best for me.

Loreley
July 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I'm not a "real curly", because my hair is only 2c/3a. :) I like the straight hemline without layers on myself. I'd also try a U shape but never a V hemline. I don't really like that. It makes hair look unnatural, thin and unhealthy. I love thick hemlines that's why I have straight hemline (which is not thick enough yet). :)

Anje
July 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Personally, I really like fairytale ends on curlies, much more than I like them on folks with wavy or straight hair. Failing that, Us and Vs look nice.

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 06:54 AM
I consider the hemline to be just the shape of the bottom edge, whereas layers are something that happens farther up.

My bangs haven't quite grown out to my length, so I have a pretty deep U/V-thing going on right now. But my intention is to eventually have a blunt (straight across) or very shallow U-shape.

halo_tightens
July 9th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I'm not a curly, but a wavy. I prefer a gentle U-shape, simply because it seems to lie nicely on my back that way.

You already hinted that you're not crazy about growing out layers... Maybe they're not a good idea. I don't care for them on myself, either, even though I LOVE the look of some people's layers (especially here). The gorgeous pics make it tempting sometimes, but I know I'd regret it if I tried it. Don't do it unless you're sure!! :)

masa_inn
July 9th, 2010, 07:03 AM
I have a U-shape (or so I think, LOL). Straight blunt hemline doesn't work for me. As for fairy ends - I just snapped them off about a month ago.

Pierre
July 9th, 2010, 07:10 AM
My hemline used to be W-shaped, but the middle has grown, and I don't know what it is now. I have fairytale ends, which look fine since the ends are tightly curled while the middle is wavy. Whatever layers I had in my short hair days are now invisible.

09robiha
July 9th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Personally, I really like fairytale ends on curlies, much more than I like them on folks with wavy or straight hair. Failing that, Us and Vs look nice.

ooops I forgot about fairytale ends. Cant belive that I LOVE fairytale ends on both curlies and non curlies :) I really want fairytale ends...but do you think I should wack of the heat damage first?

Gumball
July 9th, 2010, 11:05 AM
My hemline is pretty much blunt. I prefer it that way especially should I want to do anything. Braiding is a good example. With a U or a V that would end up leaving me with more tassel than I want. I'd never get layers because they aren't something I would ever want for myself.

Bunnyhare
July 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM
i have wavy hair, and had it layered and hate the layers! for about 2 days it was fun and now it is 2 years and they will be growing out for another year, i would much rather have NO layers, and any hemline! with my hair, i can't have a blunt hemline, the waves are never the same. But once i get all the layers cut out i will let it be what it is! i think they all look nice, YOU have to like what you have!

virgo75
July 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM
For myself I like either a blunt hemline or fairytale ends.
Mainly because my hair is drastically combination where my sides and the back(basically the 'wraparound U' that most balding guys get) are a 2a/b at most but can be encouraged with a lot of scrunching and gel to do a loose spiral here or there or a big curl. But the area in the center front and at my crown are a 3b.

So I'm either trying to make 2/3 of my hair curl or 1/3 stretch out to match the rest.
This is easier when I'm not dealing with a bunch of layers and weird shapes. lol

eezepeeze
July 9th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I like a faint U shape right now to keep from getting triangle head, but my goal is blunt. Although, the way my hair curls, each chunk curls up at a slightly different length, so it will look like fairy tale ends. The pic in my sig. is when my hair was heavily oiled, to take a good length pic without the kinkiness. I'll have to get one that shows the spirals.

Dragon
July 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I like all the different hemlines. On my self I prefer fairy tail ends and straight hemlines.

rachelily
July 9th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I love fairy tale ends! They're just so ... fairy tail-y :)

I have a slight U-shaped hemline that's a little blunt just in the middle. If you want to see some light layering, my album has a couple shots that would show them somewhat. I have my hair layered about two inches - so the shortest pieces are two inches above my hemline, and then there's a second middle layer that's only one inch away from my hemline (well, it was CUT that way but it's been a while so who knows where they are now! haha). But I like the way they help with my texture - the shorter layers keep the top layer of my hair light and keeps them curling well, since that layer tends to be the dryest and therefor curls the least, so it eliminates that problem. The heavier layers are longer, and those are healthier (for me) and so they curl better, but the length helps even them out because if they curled more than the top layer, then they'd be shorter! That is my logic for the layers. I also think the curly layers look great from the front - it frames the face.

But, it all depends on your hair type for the most part. You have beautiful curls by the way!