PDA

View Full Version : Singed My Hair

yellowchariot
July 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Yup, my ignorance and stupidity, got the best of me! :o

So. . . I wanted a cheeseburger cooked on the grill. . . :toofers:

My cat, Puma, knows that whenever we go to the grill he is going to get something good to eat. He sat up on a wooden bench next to me, so he could watch me cook (or whoever does the cooking, he is right there supervising! lol).

We have a gas grill, so it can be tricky to light sometimes. This particular time, I was having problems getting it started. I had briefly closed the top of the grill, with the gas turn ON. Not thinking clearly, I lifted the lid about an inch open and then hit the ignite button. . . :p

Instantly, fire shot out of all the sides, and I caught the main blast of heat. I immediately turned away because of the intensity I look at Puma who was right behind me, and his ears were perked back! (It would have been a hilarious cartoon sketch if someone where there to have seen the whole ordeal.)

Once the grill was lit, I began to cook my burgers like a happy camper. After I was finished I gave the scraps to my cats and feed them their evening dinner. It wasn't until later, that I subconsciously ran my fingers through the left side of my hair that I felt a "crispy" "crunchy" feel to my hair :confused:.

I looked in the mirror and sure enough, I saw small curled up spots on the left side, at the bottom, of my hair. Which is exactly where the heat blasted me! It began to peel off in tiny bits as I ran my hands through it, and I lost maybe 4 strands of hair. I jumped in the shower and used Herbal Essences: Hello Hydration shampoo and Herbal Essences: Pin Straight conditioner (I've recently started using these products this week and I've had good luck with them. They do contain cones). Once I was finished showering, I got out and combed through my hair. I could not see any noticeable signs of damage, even now that is has dried.

I am thinking about going tomorrow morning to my hair stylist and getting her to check it out. I feel that a 1" or 2" trim my help out in the long run.

This summer has not been the best season for my hair :silly: hehe!

What are your all's suggestions?

P.S. I'll post pics ASAP!

yellowchariot
July 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Here are the pics after my hair dried:

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/HairSinged4.jpg?t=1278646213

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/HairSinged2.jpg?t=1278646260

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/HairSinged6.jpg?t=1278646302

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/HairSinged5.jpg?t=1278646323

Feel free to laugh! I've had a rough 2 months! :D

little_cherry
July 8th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Oh noes!!
I'd definitely SMT your hair and then oil it with micro trims..this happened to me in a similar manner not too long ago, just no kitties involved. I hope your hair is o.k.

Glad you're o.k!

EdG
July 8th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Ouch! :(

Good thing it wasn't worse.

You may not need to do anything if there was no apparent damage.
Ed

Jenw777
July 8th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Whenever I singe my hair the damage just kinda falls out. Yours isn't noticeable to me.

How did you not blow up Mr. Kitty?

Igor
July 8th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Oh damn! Lucky it was “only” your hair though! Hope someone has some good advice for nursing it back to health! :grouphug:

ericthegreat
July 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM
First off man, you should count yourself very lucky that you didn't seriously burn or hurt yourself. A direct blast from an open flame is dangerously serious. I'm glad that you are okay.

From what I can see, your hair didn't get too damaged at least not visibly damaged. If you want to, maybe go to your hairstylist and ask for a tiny trim all over, like say take off half an inch just to make sure you do cut off any burned off parts of your hair. Also, really step it up with the conditioner every time you wash your hair, it will help moisturize and mend whatever damage that you may have gotten from the flame.

I hope all goes well and next time, be much more careful when you are cooking!

yellowchariot
July 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Oh noes!!
I'd definitely SMT your hair and then oil it with micro trims..this happened to me in a similar manner not too long ago, just no kitties involved. I hope your hair is o.k.

Glad you're o.k!

Whenever I singe my hair the damage just kinda falls out. Yours isn't noticeable to me.

How did you not blow up Mr. Kitty?

^ Yeah the damage isn't very noticeable, which I'm very thankful for! But I already told Puma that he owes me one! All did was lay back behind me, I took the blast :rolleyes: lol.
Here he is in his glorious laziness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCqjX-Ax4UM
http://www.youtube.com/v/cCqjX-Ax4UM&hl=en_US&fs=1%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowFullScreen%22%20va lue=%22true%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowscriptaccess%22%20 value=%22always%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/cCqjX-Ax4UM&hl=en_US&fs=1%22%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20allowscriptaccess=%22always%22%20allowf ullscreen=%22true%22%20width=%22640%22%20height=%2 2385%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3E

DARKMARTIAN
July 8th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Ive seen some grills go up before....and after seeing your pics......i can easily say that you came out well my friend. Not only were you a happy camper but a lucky one too. Glad to see it wasnt worse....:)

A survival technique that some of you may or may not know, is that hair is among the best kindling for starting a fire if you ever have to. And seeing how it goes up in flames, thats not too surprising!

But you know what yellowchariot? Id go through a lot too for a good cheeseburger cooked on the grill.....:D

yellowchariot
July 8th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Oh damn! Lucky it was “only” your hair though! Hope someone has some good advice for nursing it back to health! :grouphug:

Thanks Igor, I'm just my hairstylists knows something, I've been going to her for almost 3 years now, so she better! :draw:lol

First off man, you should count yourself very lucky that you didn't seriously burn or hurt yourself. A direct blast from an open flame is dangerously serious. I'm glad that you are okay.

From what I can see, your hair didn't get too damaged at least not visibly damaged. If you want to, maybe go to your hairstylist and ask for a tiny trim all over, like say take off half an inch just to make sure you do cut off any burned off parts of your hair. Also, really step it up with the conditioner every time you wash your hair, it will help moisturize and mend whatever damage that you may have gotten from the flame.

I hope all goes well and next time, be much more careful when you are cooking!

^ Eric, I do very much, I count myself blessed! Especially the fact that no was here and I could have caused serious bodily damage with severe burns!

This getting old crap isn't working to well with me :o hehe.

I can't help but be reminded of this great tale ;):

Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, [Is it] true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?

Now if ye be ready that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the image which I have made; [well]: but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who [is] that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?

Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we [are] not careful to answer thee in this matter.

If it be [so], our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver [us] out of thine hand, O king.

But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

Then was Nebuchadnezzar full of fury, and the form of his visage was changed against Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego: [therefore] he spake, and commanded that they should heat the furnace one seven times more than it was wont to be heated.

And he commanded the most mighty men that [were] in his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, [and] to cast [them] into the burning fiery furnace.

Then these men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and their [other] garments, and were cast into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.

Therefore because the king's commandment was urgent, and the furnace exceeding hot, the flame of the fire slew those men that took up Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.

And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.

Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonied, and rose up in haste, [and] spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.

He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

Then Nebuchadnezzar came near to the mouth of the burning fiery furnace, [and] spake, and said, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, ye servants of the most high God, come forth, and come [hither]. Then Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, came forth of the midst of the fire.

And the princes, governors, and captains, and the king's counsellors, being gathered together, saw these men, upon whose bodies the fire had no power, nor was an hair of their head singed, neither were their coats changed, nor the smell of fire had passed on them.

[Then] Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed [be] the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king's word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God.

Therefore I make a decree, That every people, nation, and language, which speak any thing amiss against the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, shall be cut in pieces, and their houses shall be made a dunghill: because there is no other God that can deliver after this sort.

Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, in the province of Babylon.

Sorry for the long story, but I had that stuck in my whole head today, right after that incident occurred! It was a nice read, nevertheless! :thumbsup:

little_cherry
July 8th, 2010, 10:11 PM
^ Yeah the damage isn't very noticeable, which I'm very thankful for! But I already told Puma that he owes me one! All did was lay back behind me, I took the blast :rolleyes: lol.

http://www.youtube.com/v/cCqjX-Ax4UM&hl=en_US&fs=1%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowFullScreen%22%20va lue=%22true%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cparam%20name=%22allowscriptaccess%22%20 value=%22always%22%3E%3C/param%3E%3Cembed%20src=%22http://www.youtube.com/v/cCqjX-Ax4UM&hl=en_US&fs=1%22%20type=%22application/x-shockwave-flash%22%20allowscriptaccess=%22always%22%20allowf ullscreen=%22true%22%20width=%22640%22%20height=%2 2385%22%3E%3C/embed%3E%3C/object%3E
Hahaha! Awesome Kitteh!

I know what you mean...kitties always pretend to not take any notice....

Laurenji
July 8th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Haha. I did that once when I was like 16. My dad asked me to light our charcoal grill, and it wasn't lighting, so I dumped about half of the bottle of lighter fluid on it. I lit a match to light it, and when I was about a foot away, the grill burst into a giant ball of flame. I singed all the hair off of my arms, and a good chunk of the hair on my head. Definitely learned my lesson...it's good to see that your damage doesn't really look that noticeable.

yellowchariot
July 8th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Haha. I did that once when I was like 16. My dad asked me to light our charcoal grill, and it wasn't lighting, so I dumped about half of the bottle of lighter fluid on it. I lit a match to light it, and when I was about a foot away, the grill burst into a giant ball of flame. I singed all the hair off of my arms, and a good chunk of the hair on my head. Definitely learned my lesson...it's good to see that your damage doesn't really look that noticeable.

^ Why do parents always put stuff like that off on the teenagers?! Their "instructions" for doing something is. . . "Well just go over there and do it!" . . . "Its simple!" :rolleyes:

swellmel
July 8th, 2010, 11:18 PM
no advice but can sympathize. when i was 12 i was blowing out my birthday candles... you can see where this is going... my hair was probably just to my shoulders. i leaned over to blow them out and a decent size hunk of hair caught fire. i didn't notice but my aunt did and started yelling. thankfully it was just the one hunk of hair but it burned the hair all the way up to the scalp! and of course stunk the whole house up. :doh:needless to say i have been *very* careful with my hair around flames since then. :o

error
July 8th, 2010, 11:21 PM
LOL funny and awful at the same time awwe.

yellowchariot
July 8th, 2010, 11:28 PM
LOL funny and awful at the same time awwe.

^ I'm glad I was able to make someone laugh at my expense ;) hehe. It is hilarious when I look back on the moment.

Laurenji
July 8th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Lol. I think I was lighting the grill because I really, really wanted food and my dad didn't seem particularly eager to get things going. His instructions were something along the lines of "well, just stick a match under it until it lights...if that doesn't work, try putting on more lighter fluid." Which are accurate instructions, just not very detailed...

yellowchariot
July 8th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Lol. I think I was lighting the grill because I really, really wanted food and my dad didn't seem particularly eager to get things going. His instructions were something along the lines of "well, just stick a match under it until it lights...if that doesn't work, try putting on more lighter fluid." Which are accurate instructions, just not very detailed...

^ That sounds about right, especially the directions I was given long ago for a gas grill haha. . . just turn those knobs all of the way to the left, and keep hitting that big red button!" :o Ah my memory fails me once again!

BTW I changed my sig for the sole purpose of this event :D

camara
July 9th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Oh, you were lucky! I´m glad nothing more happened to you or Puma.

I think if your hair was seriously damaged it was going to just fall off...not that I had that kind of scary experience with a gas grill, ever!

Gypsygirl
July 9th, 2010, 01:03 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm so glad you're OK!!! Your hair looks fine to me... :)

GoddesJourney
July 9th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Laughing:laugh:...check. Here's to you, Yellowcharriot,:bottomsup: your life is an adventure. :D Good thing kitty didn't singe his wiskers. Lucky you didn't lose anything else!:hifive:

Quezie
July 9th, 2010, 01:17 AM
It could have been worse!

My dad did the same thing awhile ago, except his hair is hardly even there in the first place. :b

Loreley
July 9th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Oh, I'm glad you are OK! :) Puma is soooo adorable! :D

MuzicalH3rb
July 9th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I really don't mean this in a mean way, but this story seriously made me laugh out loud. At least, you didn't burn all your hair off. Thanks for the smile, though! To me, your hair still looks very pretty.

restourceful
July 9th, 2010, 06:17 AM
First, I'm glad you and Puma are not seriously hurt. :agree:

Second, I'm glad the cheeseburgers were good. :yumm:

Third, I love your new siggy. :cheese:

Fourth, I did have a good laugh about this after I was sure you and Puma weren't crispy critters! :flamed: :rollin:

Chrissy
July 9th, 2010, 06:19 AM
First of all I'm glad you're ok and it wasn't your face! With that said.......HA HA HA HA!!! Yes I'm laughing.:lol: I do however think your hair looks fine. I can't see a bit of damage. Thanks for the yucks. I also like the part about the kitty perching waiting for a hand out.

dropinthebucket
July 9th, 2010, 06:36 AM
You are VERY lucky!! I think Weird Al did a skit about this once - but seriously, no joking matter! Good you're ok.

NiAosSi
July 9th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Ditto!

Now I want a juicy cheeseburger hot off the grill! :p

Ive seen some grills go up before....and after seeing your pics......i can easily say that you came out well my friend. Not only were you a happy camper but a lucky one too. Glad to see it wasnt worse....:)

A survival technique that some of you may or may not know, is that hair is among the best kindling for starting a fire if you ever have to. And seeing how it goes up in flames, thats not too surprising!

But you know what yellowchariot? Id go through a lot too for a good cheeseburger cooked on the grill.....:D

Twil
July 9th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Had the same thing happen to me this fourth with a defective motar (only got up 10 feet before exploding). I used Herbal Essences Hydrolicious.

I'm glad you two are alright and well-fed

Also, this is why charcoal is better :tongue:

Anje
July 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Ack! Your kitty definitely owes you one.

Other than a little moisturizing, I doubt you need to trim much. In my experience (mostly with arm hair, which I seem to singe regularly :shrug:), the singed ends tend to crumble off, and the rest of the hair stays healthy looking. Moreover, there are articles that float around here from time to time about trimming hair using fire, which is purported to make it less split-prone than scissors.

My general rule: put your hair back when cooking! Braids shut in the oven are starting to be a threat to me, in addition to the grill and flaming stove burners... Besides, it reduces the likelihood of finding a looooonnnnng hair in your/someone else's food.

linda g
July 9th, 2010, 06:51 AM
your poor hair! sacrificed to the cheeseburger cause! (Your siggy made me laugh!)

The damage doesn't look too bad, fortunately.

Sammich
July 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Oh dear! :p Thank God it's not noticeable and you didn't get hurt. I love the texture of your hair so much! :)

halo_tightens
July 9th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Sigh... You gotta start being more careful, buddy!! :D

I seriously can't see any damage either. It looks fine. Just try not to hurt yourself!! :rolling:

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 07:12 AM
First, I'm SOOO glad that you and Puma are okay!!! You and your hair sure are being put through the wringer this year!!!

Second, I'm guessing that Puma won't be quite so eager to "supervise" future grill projects!

Finally, this made me think of a comic strip that was in Sunday's paper:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/YC.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

restourceful
July 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM
GRU, that's hilarious! :rollin:

Ruvie
July 9th, 2010, 07:29 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/YC.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D[/quote]
oh man, i just laughed my butt off for like 5 minutes straight.

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 07:34 AM
GRU, that's hilarious! :rollin:

oh man, i just laughed my butt off for like 5 minutes straight.

Well, all I did was edit the name from "your father" to "yellow chariot"... Bill Amend gets the credit for the original idea, and yellowchariot gets the credit for, well, for being our own beloved yellowchariot! :lol:

anniemae
July 9th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Oh, your cat is just beautiful!!

Thank heavens you and your cat are okay. :) Maybe next time you should wear your hair in a ponytail while grilling.

I don't see any damage, but maybe you can just keep doing some extra conditioning for the next few days.

Take care!!

Peter
July 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Good to know you're safe though!

Somehow your hair still looks great. :p

Newniepg
July 9th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Gosh, I am sorry your hair got singed, but very glad it wasn't your face or hands that got burned. That wouldn't have been amusing at all. That said, I did smile, you have a talent for telling a funny story I think.

Was the burger worth it?!

gossamer
July 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM
All I see from the pics is that you still have pretty, shiny hair!

tinti
July 9th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Gah! I held my breath while reading your post 4 strands? I would've been shreaking hysterically :P But then again, I'm not the one cooking at the grill. That duty I leave for the ones who can see. I'd go for oiling it and go to your hair stylist to check if there's some more damage.

ericthegreat
July 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Gah! I held my breath while reading your post 4 strands? I would've been shreaking hysterically :P But then again, I'm not the one cooking at the grill. That duty I leave for the ones who can see. I'd go for oiling it and go to your hair stylist to check if there's some more damage.

This should be common sense, but I will state the obvious just so that you can make sure to avoid further hair accidents in the future.
Yes, oiling your hair is good...................................when you are NOT cooking or doing anything around an open flame or working with electric wires. Imagine your hair all oiled up and a spark or a bit of fire catches on it! :agape:

jera
July 10th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Chariot, everything happens to you, doesn't it. :p You have the most exciting, action packed life. :D

I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt. Man, that could've been your face ! I don't see as much damage to your hair from the shots you posted, but you'd know best. If deep moisturizing doesn't help, perhaps a bit of a trim will eliminate the damage.

Please be more careful around cookouts in the future. You're making me worry about you and your cats. :)

yellowchariot
July 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm glad some of you, had a good laugh :D. Its always good to cheer people up, that can be the hardest thing to do sometimes. I'm very fortunate I wasn't seriously injured! I honestly feel that I was being protected ;), because I can be an idiot at times. . . ok . . . all of the time. . . :o LOL! My memory isn't what it used to be :doh:

Also I tried contacting my hairstylist, but unfortunately. . . she no longer works at the salon any longer. I was going to get her to assess any critical damage done, and perhaps get her to do a search and destroy while maintaining my ends.
I've shampooed and conditioned my hair twice already, and I can't visually see any damage. I'm just concerned of possible breakage that will eventually lead up to the root.

I had my hair pulled back, and then for some reason I took out my hair tie. I normally keep it secured while doing things like that! But those cheesburgers, started calling my name. Puma also wanted me to fix some for him too. . . It's all his fault, I tell you!!!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/LazyPoo.jpg?t=1278781413

Sammich
July 10th, 2010, 11:31 AM
That, would be an amazing lolcat.
:D
I lol'd!

ButterCream
July 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Glad to hear you didn`t get to much damage to your hair, and that you are ok:)

Barbequing can be a risky thing aparently, lol...:p

Oh, and I also posted this in the misreading titles-thread, (hope you don`t mind:o)

I read your thread name as Sing to My Hair...:D
(Singed My Hair)

I don`t know why my eyes read Sing to my hair, but that is how I read it...didn`t have my glasses on when I come to think about it...
I read it and started to wonder...does anyone SING to their hair???:confused:
I know some people talk to their plants but...sing? Really?:confused:

Oh, and yeah, it is totally the cats fault!! Totally!

Cheezeburglurz and cats are a dangerous combination...cats will stop at NOTHING to get them! NOTHING I tell you!
Next time you barbeque make sure you know where Puma is...and wear a helmet!
:poot::D

ETA: FUUUUUUn pic!!
He looks exhausted after that ordeal "he" went through...:p

linda g
July 10th, 2010, 11:49 AM
LOL great kitty pic!

yellowchariot
July 10th, 2010, 12:27 PM
That, would be an amazing lolcat.

I lol'd!

^ Yeah he LOL'd too the whole time he was hiding behind me!

Glad to hear you didn`t get to much damage to your hair, and that you are ok

Barbequing can be a risky thing aparently, lol...

Oh, and I also posted this in the misreading titles-thread, (hope you don`t mind)

I read your thread name as Sing to My Hair...:D
(Singed My Hair)

I don`t know why my eyes read Sing to my hair, but that is how I read it...didn`t have my glasses on when I come to think about it...
I read it and started to wonder...does anyone SING to their hair???:confused:
I know some people talk to their plants but...sing? Really?:confused:

Oh, and yeah, it is totally the cats fault!! Totally!

Cheezeburglurz and cats are a dangerous combination...cats will stop at NOTHING to get them! NOTHING I tell you!
Next time you barbeque make sure you know where Puma is...and wear a helmet!
:poot::D

ETA: FUUUUUUn pic!!
He looks exhausted after that ordeal "he" went through...:p

^ ButterCream, I do sing to my hair! just like you would with plants, because hair can hear too, ya know!!! j/k!

Actually that pic was taken back in the winter, however you can always find me in a lazy position like that!

LOL great kitty pic!

^ linda g, that's what he does best!

missfortune9335
July 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
lol, oh I'm sorry to laugh but I love a good tale of woe that starts out "so I wanted a cheeseburger..." :D
honestly to me it doesn't look that bad, I'd really condition it and wait a week or so to see what you think. good luck!

(p.s. you have very shiny hair!)

squiggyflop
July 10th, 2010, 02:02 PM
it doesnt look near as bad as when i caught my hair on fire.. it made a loud *flumph* noise when it happened to me.. my bangs burnt all the way up to the scalp..

yours doesnt look noticeable.. boy gas grills seem dangerous.. i much prefer charcoal if only for the taste..

Elenna
July 10th, 2010, 08:12 PM
You are very lucky to escape with so little damage to your hair and self.

Ovens can be dangerous to hair too. The blast of heat from the oven can fry/dry out hair.