PDA

View Full Version : What Does Healthy Hair Feel Like?

Dana
July 8th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I apologize if this has been asked - the search tool might not like me tonight. :)

I'm curious what peoples' healthy hair feels like, to the touch.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to rethink the feel of my hair, maybe it is healthy and I don't know it? Maybe I am trying to "fix" things that are really what my hair should feel like?

My hair feels coated and weighed-down, like I didn't get the conditioner out. But perhaps that is how it should feel, like it is protected?

What does your healthy hair feel like after a wash?

What about just before your wash?

Does it feel "squeaky" in the shower, or more oily/slick?

Does it feel different at the ends?

Ravenne
July 8th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I don't know if this is necessarily the "ideal" hair feel... but I like and think it looks the best when it has no "weighted" feeling at all and it feels like I'm running my fingers through silk ribbons (which is what it's like with my current routine. Never been like this before). The ends are a little bit drier than the roots of course because they have years of dye damage but they still feel soft. I also feel like my hair's at its best when it swings freely. Like... if I turn my head quickly, it swings over my shoulder instead of just swinging around my back. That'll probably change as my length increases but for now...

That's a hard question to answer... I think it's got more to do with how happy you are with your hair's condition. If you don't feel like it's right or you don't feel comfortable and confident with it... try to change it so you are. I think everyone's hair has a different "happy state" depending on texture and products. :shrug:

MissManda
July 8th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I have observed that how healthy hair feels to the touch depends on the strand texture. My boyfriend, for example, has what I'd call M/C hair that feels kind of rough and fluffy, but is still smooth after he washes it. In days following, his hair gets a little oilier and his hair feels cottony-soft but doesn't look/feel greasy.

I have more finely-textured hair, so after I wash my hair, it is extremely silky-soft, kind of like fake hair or feathers and is also quite fluffy and has a sort of swing or bounce to it. I don't like the feeling of squeaky-clean hair, because it feels unnatural to me. I find that if my hair feels weighed down after a wash, that means that I didn't get all of the conditioner out, which can make it look oily and stringy. I have a few other friends who are fine-hairs and their hair feels very similar to mine (very soft) despite the fact that they all have more curl pattern (2b to 3c) than me. My ends are always a bit drier than the rest of my hair because of chemical damage.

Even when I protect my hair with oil, it doesn't feel weighed down as long as I don't use an excessive amount.

I hope that helps!

Annalouise
July 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I agree with Ravene, "silk ribbons".:)

I didn't wash my hair for two months and the hair near my scalp feels like silk ribbons. It is amazing. However, the hair past my shoulders feels dry and tangly. I can't run my fingers through it without them getting stuck in tangles.

Anna

Pierre
July 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Being borderline curly, my healthy hair probably feels different from yours. Also I wash with WO, so I don't get conditioner buildup. The bight of my bunlet feels smooth. The ends also feel smooth and soft, but being curly the smoothness goes in different directions. When I squish a coil, it resists. While wet, it doesn't feel as good as when dry; I regard this as normal (IIRR it's because I don't use cones). If it feels greasy, I need to henna; if it feels squeaky, I've stripped the oil, which I don't do (I just remember the feeling from years ago).

RachelRain
July 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM
after: if its brushed, it's silky. (although i rarely thinks so, but i'm reassured constantly that my hair is indeed, silky and to quit being paranoid.) and since I've been oiling it it's kind of capey - it doesn't fly away in a breeze anymore, but stays together and lifts more like a curtain. not sure if that makes sense to anyone.

before: i don't wash my hair unless it feels greasy. there's a distinct feel to it, and the coconut oil doesn't feel the same. not sure why, but I'm not complaining about that, because it's extremely helpful.

I've never gotten to the squeaky clean stage of my hair, but I have over conditioned. I never EVER manage to get all the conditioner out of my hair in the shower (it gets stuck right around ear level on both sides), but because I brush it as soon as I get out and before I squeeze the water out, the conditioner gets distributed down the rest of my hair and acts as a leave in instead of weighting me down. which is good, because my hair is very heavy all on it's own and doesn't need help from conditioner to do that! :)

Dragon
July 9th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Think it depends on the hair type. As longs as its not to dry and split, It should be healthy.

Loreley
July 9th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Mine is not perfectly healthy but it feels soft and silky both before and after the wash (thanks to oiling). In the shower it feels slick. I doesn't feel different at the ends (since I've started trimming it monthly). :)

Fiferstone
July 9th, 2010, 06:00 AM
My hair now feels light and silky when it's clean, thanks to no cones anymore, stretching washes, coconut oil, and ACV rinses.

In the bad old days it used to feel rougher to the touch (the ends still do feel much rougher than the newer hair nearer the scalp, but that's because of remaining box-dye damage), it would be OK on day 1 after a wash, but by day 2 the scalp was a lank, oily mess. I had no other recourse (or so I thought) than to wash every other day with my coney Pantene shampoo/conditioner combo that I'd used for 20 years.

My hair is much, much happier without cones. :).

Dana
July 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the responses, everyone! Lately my hair has not felt "silky" at all, it's felt coated and heavy. Time to rinse more, I guess! :)

princessp
July 9th, 2010, 11:00 AM
This is a great question. I was also feeling this way about my hair and wondering if it felt right. Thanks.

Dreams_in_Pink
July 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM
No matter what i do, it always feels dry and brittle. (thanks to the coarseness)

HairColoredHair
July 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
My hair feels more weighty when it's doing well... when it's weightless or fluffy I've stripped it too much. It doesn't feel coated though, unless I have a buildup issue.

haibane
July 9th, 2010, 11:16 AM
No matter what i do, it always feels dry and brittle. (thanks to the coarseness)
Heh, I sort of feel the same but the opposite. Mine always feels brittle and fragile because it's so thin! :p

HintOfMint
July 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Unless I damp bun, my mostly coarse hair doesn't feel like silk when I air-dry. It's just a hair texture thing, doesn't mean it isn't healthy.
The big tell tale signs for healthy hair (for me) are when my ends don't feel rough, and when there is no damage (splits, white dots).

Jessica Trapp
July 9th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Mine feels moisturized and soft and the ends don't tangle when it's healthy. If it feels brittle or the ends velcro then I do a deep moisture treatment and S&D.

:flower:

littlenvy
July 9th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Thank you for the responses, everyone! Lately my hair has not felt "silky" at all, it's felt coated and heavy. Time to rinse more, I guess! :)
The question here is WHAT are you using now. Shampoo, conditioner, rinse wise?
Sometimes more water is not always the solution.

ArcticNights
July 9th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Very easy to answer this.

Light oilings and s&d made my hair live again :-)

Dana
July 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I am currently CWCing with Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo, and Biolage Hydratherapie (because they are what I have in the cabinet).

I CWC every day, but I am still in my first 30 days of trying it. I'm still getting used to how much to rinse my hair after the last condish, so it might be that mine feels "coated" because I have some build-up.

This morning I did rinse more than I usually do, and I also did my first ACV rinse, and my hair feels less "coaty". Of course, since I changed two things, I'm not sure what did it. But since I won't do an ACV Rinse each day, I'll soon find out if rinsing more will help!

I am thinking that it is my rinsing that helped this morning. The hair at the nape of my neck feels coated, while the hair on the top feels as it should. So (IMHO) that points to not getting it all out!

littlenvy
July 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I am currently CWCing with Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo, and Biolage Hydratherapie (because they are what I have in the cabinet).

I CWC every day, but I am still in my first 30 days of trying it. I'm still getting used to how much to rinse my hair after the last condish, so it might be that mine feels "coated" because I have some build-up.

This morning I did rinse more than I usually do, and I also did my first ACV rinse, and my hair feels less "coaty". Of course, since I changed two things, I'm not sure what did it. But since I won't do an ACV Rinse each day, I'll soon find out if rinsing more will help!

I am thinking that it is my rinsing that helped this morning. The hair at the nape of my neck feels coated, while the hair on the top feels as it should. So (IMHO) that points to not getting it all out!
Strange as it may be my hair feels more "coated " on WO with a ACV rinse than it does after water wash and conditioner. It even looks "oily" or stringy like this:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/myadra/mine/CIMG0797.jpg

But its NOT oily and its not coated. And its healthier than I've ever had it. It also doesn't have the shine of conditioned hair.
*sigh* I have tried to figure this paradox out, until I realize that my hair FEELS moist. Its not wet yet feels wet-like.
Could it be that the hair is too neutral??
Could it be that the hair needs a bit of a ph in it?
Could it be that my hair is "unsealed" or open with the rinse?
I still don't have an answer, but even thou it feels coated, I know its healthy.
So maybe yours is the same?

PS. My hair was just fine after the first few ACV rinses, the coated feeling started coming much later.

Dana
July 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Strange as it may be my hair feels more "coated " on WO with a ACV rinse than it does after water wash and conditioner.

But its NOT oily and its not coated. And its healthier than I've ever had it. It also doesn't have the shine of conditioned hair.
*sigh* I have tried to figure this paradox out, until I realize that my hair FEELS moist. Its not wet yet feels wet-like.
Could it be that the hair is too neutral??
Could it be that the hair needs a bit of a ph in it?
Could it be that my hair is "unsealed" or open with the rinse?
I still don't have an answer, but even thou it feels coated, I know its healthy.
So maybe yours is the same?

PS. My hair was just fine after the first few ACV rinses, the coated feeling started coming much later.

I am doing CWC, so I would think that the shampoo and extra stuff in the conditioner would cleanse my hair more than if I did WO.

I have never done WO, but I would expect a "coated" feeling with WO, since you aren't fully washing off the sebum. You also aren't adding anything back on your hair, so the sebum would be the only thing coating your hair. It might feel coarser or rougher, since sebum would feel different than whatever conditioner adds on your hair.

littlenvy
July 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I am doing CWC, so I would think that the shampoo and extra stuff in the conditioner would cleanse my hair more than if I did WO.

I have never done WO, but I would expect a "coated" feeling with WO, since you aren't fully washing off the sebum. You also aren't adding anything back on your hair, so the sebum would be the only thing coating your hair. It might feel coarser or rougher, since sebum would feel different than whatever conditioner adds on your hair.
That would make sense ... but I know I'm getting it all out so it not sebum coated.
Unlike you I do go longer between washing. I'm up to 3-4 day where my hair is quite nice while on sebum.
*sigh* I will try something else.

Have you tried different conditioner on your CWC wash?
Maybe it has too many oils in it?
I, for one, can't do any oil conditioners. Citrus or very light stuff works best for me. Even lavender conditioners make my hair coated.

I hope you find your balance soon and get your nice and shinny hair. :)

I'm off to try something new. Will post if it works. LOL

Dana
July 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Have you tried different conditioner on your CWC wash?
Maybe it has too many oils in it?
I, for one, can't do any oil conditioners. Citrus or very light stuff works best for me. Even lavender conditioners make my hair coated.

My conditioner is quite heavy, more of a "balm", but it's what I have, so I'm using it up. I may try thinning it with water soon.

Once this conditioner is done, I am wanting to try COing with a lighter conditioner.

Fiferstone
July 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
As a finey, I've found that using conditioner "backwards" really works for me. I use LUSH Jungle conditioner but apply it to my DRY hair first thing in the morning on days when I do a full-length wash (the night before I do a deep oiling with coconut oil). I then go about my usual morning routine with my conditioned hair bunned, and hop in the shower and wash my hair, with the final rinse being an ACV rinse. I find I get all the benefits of conditioner without the "coated" or "over-oiled" feeling, and the conditioner protects my length from getting over-stripped by the shampoo (which does have ALS). It's been a win-win for me.

Dana
July 10th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Fiferstone, so you apply the conditioner on your dry hair and just rinse out in the shower?

Fiferstone
July 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Yep, I apply conditioner to dry hair and use my shampoo in the shower (either LUSH Trichomania, LUSH Karma Komba if my hair is really dirty/greasy, or ONE -- the jasmine-scented shampoo) to wash it out. It's worked great for me thus far...

Bill D.
July 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I don't claim to be an expert here, but sometimes hair may just need a deep cleaning to get rid of accumulated oil or product residue. One woman whose long hair I had the privilege of combing some years ago had a heaviness to the first foot or more of her hair, whether due to not cleaning out the oil or else hair product residue. Lower down, her hair was lovely to the touch, but the upper part was just heavy and not pleasant. I'll leave to others the question of how best to clean hair of such residues.

Back when I used to bathe twice a week rather than daily, I found I needed to wash my hair twice to get it clean due to the oiliness of my scalp. YMMV, especially if you have drier hair.

before: i don't wash my hair unless it feels greasy. there's a distinct feel to it, and the coconut oil doesn't feel the same. not sure why, but I'm not complaining about that, because it's extremely helpful.

Skin oil (sebum) has a different chemical structure than vegetable oils or even body fat, so it feels different and has a different effect on hair.

Bill D.

GlennaGirl
July 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
My hair is straight and fine. It feels silky when it's healthy.

Nicoliee
January 15th, 2011, 02:40 AM
My hair is really "silk ribbons" & very shiny.

Ishje
January 15th, 2011, 02:46 AM
good question.

I would think healthy hair (depending on its type of course) would feel soft and silky.
but, my hair feels like that and is far from being healthy, after my peroxide bleaching job in October and many many split ends.

Bill D.
January 15th, 2011, 01:24 PM
good question.

I would think healthy hair (depending on its type of course) would feel soft and silky.
but, my hair feels like that and is far from being healthy, after my peroxide bleaching job in October and many many split ends.

Fine-textured hair, when healthy, will generally feel soft and silky. Mine does, except for the ends which could be healthier. Coarser hair may not feel soft at all no matter how healthy it is, and I can vouch for that from personal experience. There is a lot of diversity in hair characteristics.

Bill D.